What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...

I'll play Kingdom Hearts 3 even thought I think the series is overrated. I read there's almost no Final Fantasy characters in this one

Darksiders 3 took 35 hours ,a lot more than the 14-16 hours it's supposed to be. I always seem to take twice as long as the "official" play time

Trying to continue Monster Hunter World but I'm not having fun.  It's just grinding to upgrade gear and not much of a story. Everything about the game seems tedious to the extreme.

I played a few HM "clones" like God Eater and Toukiden and at least they had a story and an A.I.party. In Monster Hunter your either alone or forced to use multiplayer

On 1/12/2019 at 12:54 PM, King Mark said:

I deplore the Midi score (since orchestral versions of the game music were recorded for a c.d. release) and 8 bit sound effects to make it feel retro just for the sake of the nostalgic fan base of the series . it felt really out of place with the beautiful graphics and a gigantic error on the developers part

I've been going back to Good Old Games and re-playing the old point and click adventure games of my youth (Space Quest, Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Hero's Quest, Gabriel Knight...etc....) all the old Sierra games. 

Was playing Spiderman, but lost interest.

Played RDR2, never had any interest, it was a splurge purchase with the hopes that I would love it. I don't. Haven't played more than an hour.

Want to try Kingdom Hearts 3

This Monster Boy game seems interesting.

I miss Hearts of Darkness. That was a fun game.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:49 PM, Faleel J.M. said:

wow that sounds a lot better. They used the c.d. that came with the game .Apparently it's the composer who didn't want the orchestral music in the game to make more money off the c.d. That's just weird  and what's the point

Making a lot of progress in Monster Hunter World...solo but that game really had a steep learning curve. Now I'm having more fun and I'm determined to finish the story mode .Using a bow and shooting the monsters from a distance

Alright ..I get why Monster Hunter is multiplayer. I couldn't solo a monster after 5 attempts  but I killed 2 of them multiplayer(or at least helped) and got twice the rewards I would get normally in about half the time

when you play solo the monster is ALWAYS on your ass, but in multiplayer it's usually going after someone else and you can heal and stuff

Monster Hunter World is so overwhelming with systems I didn't focus on the most basic combat mechanic. The weapons have combos you have to use and i was just mashing  buttons randomly for 100 hours . I also have to get back to things I should have unlocked at the beginning of the game

The main problems with games "geared towards Multiplayer " like Monster Hunter World is that if you play the game a year or 2 after it's release nobody is playing anymore and it's hard to use the multiplayer so your basically forced to solo it.

Every day there was only a handful of quests I could join in multiplayer and if I started a quest solo (setting max player to 4...harder monsters)...nobody ever joined me

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 5:35 PM, W0$ said:

The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind is free through the end of the month for PC. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/3/25/18280778/morrowind-free-elder-scrolls-25th-anniversary

Downloded this last night. Never played it before so looking forward to giving it a go. 

Bought the Dark Souls Trilogy on PS4 today on a whim. 

I assumed Half-Genie Hero would be the last one and was reaching that point of sad acceptance! I'm surprised they don't need a Kickstarter for this one, as I'd gladly give them all my money! 

Any franchise that sells a lot of copies keeps getting sequels.

Unless you're Mother/Earthbound or Chrono Trigger

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Unless you're Mother/Earthbound or Chrono Trigger

Do those really make a lot of money? 

3 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I assumed Half-Genie Hero would be the last one and was reaching that point of sad acceptance! I'm surprised they don't need a Kickstarter for this one, as I'd gladly give them all my money! 

Half-Genie Hero had a lot of flaws that I think stemmed from it being a Kickstarter, so I'm excited to see how this one turns out!

32 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Do those really make a lot of money? 

I assume Chrono Trigger did, no?

Maxed out a character in Anthem (the game that is so meta to point and laugh at right now). Absolutely brilliant moment to moment gameplay, with the best flying mechanics ever seen in games. For about 20 hours the game feels fantastic to play and explore. Then you hit the level cap and, as reported, there is no endgame (a cardinal sin in a looter). But before that point, there's a lot of fun to be had (unfortunately blighted somewhat by excessive loading screens).

However, I'm a fairly calm and reasonable gamer. Going in, I knew all about the issues the game had. I was prepared to make allowances; I'm a huge fan of the looter shooter genre and I could immediately feel the potential of Anthem the first time I played the demo, warts and all.

After all: Destiny and The Division taught me that releases in this genre are always so grossly underwhelming and lacking in satisfying endgame content upon initial release. But by the time they "git gud", people who didn't buy into it from the beginning always feel too far behind by that point to catch up, so they never end up playing these games, even if they later find the eventual positive word of mouth surrounding them to be quite enticing. It's too late by then.

Which is why I was an early adopter of the ever-so-unfinished Anthem. I'm no longer playing the game, but my fully levelled javelin will be ready when there's more meat on the bones of the game later this year. I wish it didn't work like this for these sorts of games, but hey ho.

A year from now, watch as people say how Bioware turned the game around (fingers crossed).

I really disliked the beta and cancelled my pre-ordered. Got The Division 2 instead since I had friends to play that one with and no one I knew was getting Anthem. But what ended up really surprising me was Battlefield V. I never really played it when it came out and it got lost in the shuffle (EA is great at fucking over their own games). I forgot how satisfying the traditional multiplayer is and have been binging on that ever since. 

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I really disliked the beta and cancelled my pre-ordered. Got The Division 2 instead since I had friends to play that one with and no one I knew was getting Anthem. But what ended up really surprising me was Battlefield V. I never really played it when it came out and it got lost in the shuffle (EA is great at fucking over their own games). I forgot how satisfying the traditional multiplayer is and have been binging on that ever since. 

I only bought it myself after finishing with Anthem. I've basically spent most evenings living on BFV over the past week, it's just so thrilling at times. But it badly needs more maps.

156 hours into Divinity Original Sin 2. Some battles are so hard you have to use exploits to beat them. I think it was intended that way but it feels a bit like cheating (example: fleeing battle after thinning out the crowd to come back later with less enemies, or teleporting enemies out of the main battle zone to take them out individually)

That looks even harder than Dark Souls. I always wait a while for these new releases so they patch all the bugs

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

When are you getting Sekiro?

I would have, but life's too short. I'll wait for the "easier" Bloodborne 2 instead.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I wasn't interested in it 'til my friend who loves From Software told me it _wasn't_ a Souls/Bloodborne iteration. 

But... it is. From Software makes the same game over and over!

In HOLLOW KNIGHT, I've made my way through the Forgotten Roads and Greenpath, and now I finally have the dash ability and can now go back to all the dead ends I've come across and see which ones I can continue through now!  

I am really enjoying all the boss battles in this game so far; Every single one is completely intimidating when you first find them, and I'm thinking oh shit, I must have to come back to this guy once I've gotten some more abilities.  But it turns out no, you just have to learn their patterns and you can defeat them with your starting abilities.  SO satisfying when you do!

I fancy that game, but is it a rogue-like? How forgiving is the checkpoint system? I don't like games where I have to return to the start upon death, but I made the exception for the brilliant Bloodborne.

It's not a rogue-like at all, it's a pure metroid-vania.  The entire game is one giant interconnected map and there is no procedural generation.  It's basically like Super Metroid with a melee weapon instead of guns (and obviously a completely different plot and aesthetic)

The savepoints are benches you sit on, and so far there are plenty.  When I die fighting a boss, I never have to travel TOO far from the bench back to the boss... at least not so far.  I'm only about 5 hours in.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

But... it is. From Software makes the same game over and over!

Crap, really? He told me it was more of a full-on stealth game...I don't know what to believe anymore.....

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ooo that sounds reassuringly encouraging then. I'll probably pick it up eventually. I'm probably going to play Little Nightmares next.

Love the atmosphere of Little Nightmares. You played Inside, right?

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Crap, really? He told me it was more of a full-on stealth game...I don't know what to believe anymore.....

I mean there are certainly more stealth elements to the gameplay but at its core it’s a Souls game. 

ok,I finished Divinity Original Sin 2

Moving on to VAMPYR

Also THE SURGE is free on PS+ right now...I really recommend it .Sort of Dark Souls with robots

I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I've been on a huge Metal Gear Solid kick these past couple months. I replayed Phantom Pain _again_, and I also went through Sons of Liberty. The latter was so awkward to play, and I cussed it out quite a few times...but I barrelled through the whole thing in a 24 hour period, which as an adult I pretty much never do.     Now it's one of my favorite games. Good score, too: I've never listened to a Gregson-Willams score in isolation, but he has a more creative musical imagination here than the MV/RCP reputation would have you believe. 

I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes, but then I was put off ever playing Phantom Pain when I read online that the game's story never really received an actual proper ending? How true is this? Is it unsatisfying? 

On 4/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, Jay said:

It's not a rogue-like at all, it's a pure metroid-vania.  The entire game is one giant interconnected map and there is no procedural generation.  It's basically like Super Metroid with a melee weapon instead of guns (and obviously a completely different plot and aesthetic)

The savepoints are benches you sit on, and so far there are plenty.  When I die fighting a boss, I never have to travel TOO far from the bench back to the boss... at least not so far.  I'm only about 5 hours in.

I got a copy of it awhile ago with birthday money, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet since I have the Wii U hooked up, and am taking a gaming break after finishing Wind Waker. I'll dive into it once I put the PS4 back! I tend to avoid games that are surrounded by "IT'S SO HARD" hype, but the atmosphere looks positively divine, so I'm obligated to at least give it a try.

39 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes, but then I was put off ever playing Phantom Pain when I read online that the game's story never really received an actual proper ending? How true is this? Is it unsatisfying? 

If you want me to be truly honest, I really don't get where the naysayers come from. The ending gives me major chills just thinking about it, and it's extremely poetic, but a lot of people seemed to just take it at face value, which if you know the ending is hilarious, because what they're complaining about is the whole point. Now I will say the momentum fizzles a little after the first of two chapters--by design--and there's not much of a forward push to the ending itself, and I can understand that irking some people...but to say it doesn't have an ending is from the gaming Mattrises of the world who have a very particular vision they want carried out, and anything that deviates or plays with those expectations--a Kojima specialty-- is pissing on their beloved series.

Also, there _is_ a cut conclusion to a story arc infamously cut by Konami (you can find released rough footage and concept art of it on YouTube), which _is_ unfortunate--not least 'cause it would have been a kickass level to play. But it's more of a secondary thread, so I don't consider the plot hole to be a dealbreaker. 

So to explicitly answer your last question, how satisfying or unsatisfying its ending is depends on how literally you want to take the events of the game. I don't mean this in any arrogant or condescending way, please understand. I just have to put it in all of these vague, douchey terms because if I get more specific it could spoil the plot. 

I've played Phantom Pain four times, and everytime I play it I understand it as a story and as a game more, and discover new things about it. As someone who generally avoids open-world type games, and someone who has had a love-hate relationship with the Metal Gear series, I consider this game an absolute masterpiece.