What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Oh! I’m surprised I never read that.

To clarify a bit, it’s not a matter of “Game’s too hard, I want some help here”, just an emotional thing, especially when it’s a game largely revolving around exploration. 

There's a ton of NPCs to talk to; It's not as lonely of a game as say Super Metroid

So I install Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn from a disk version I bought 2 years a go because I want to download the free Heavensward expansion available now .

1)The start icon on my PS4 says FFXIV Stormblood not Realm Re-born, which I read nowhere is included with the base game

21)Can't start the game  unless I activate the subscription NOW .No menus , nothing..the game just kicks me out

3)PSN says I don't own FFXIV and doesn't let me download Heavensward expansion even though I just installed it from a disk

I’m deep into Sony Bend’s Days Gone.

It has been unfairly panned by critics, though it does have its share of faults. The biggest issue being that it just isn’t very rewarding to play through much of the time. The main attraction of the hordes are nigh on impossible to take on until very late in the game. There is a lot of grind to earn XP, skill points, and encampment trust/credits, which are all required to enhance the gameplay. There are also a litany of quality of life issues that big down the whole experience. A shame since Bend is a talented studio that obviously spent a lot of time making this game. It supposedly sold well enough though, so hopefully a streamlined production for the sequel will iron out a lot of the overarching design flaws. Something that Ready At Dawn didn’t a get a chance with The Order: 1886, Sony’s other first party black sheep. 

Players seem to have resoundingly embraced and loved the game in spite of the critical meaniness the game was subjected to right from its first unveiling years ago.

As always, I'm waiting for a full complement of patches before picking it up myself. Looking forward to it.

It’s a good game, but it isn’t great. There are a lot of little peculiar design choices that add up to a lot.

For example, traveling to the other end of the map on limited fuel and resources to complete a “talk to this person” quest. And once there, literally an in-game no cutscene single line of dialogue completes the quest and now you’re sent all the way back to where you started. 

Yeah, little spots lacking in polish like that can irritate. I'll only be paying twenty quid for it anyway, so I won't mind too much if I grow bored of it. I've seen so much positivity surrounding the game though, that I'm hopeful of getting my monies worth.

There’s a lot to dig through, certainly. I don’t feel cheated by the price tag at all. The narrative itself is pretty solid. So I’m always motivated by the story if nothing else.

And as I briefly mentioned, the horde mechanics are fantastic. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so much dread in a video game before. Accidentally stumbling into a group of 350 freakers that will stop at nothing to get to you is an exhilarating thing. 

19 hours ago, King Mark said:

Days gone seems like a mix of Far Cry, Fallout and Dead Island

The open world mechanics are very Ubisoft. Ambush camps, marauder camps, infestations, bounty hunter quests, NERO checkpoints and research sites. Lots of checkboxes to clear off. Crafting and survival systems are more akin to The Last Of Us. Nothing really Fallout or Dead Island related. 

Well damn, HOLLOW KNIGHT is a much bigger game than I realized.

I'm 45 hours in, and I only just finally got the last upgrade I was looking for (the ability to go through those black barriers).  I still have a ton of bosses I've encountered that kicked my ass that I need to return to now that I'm a bit more powerful and then I can hopefully figure out how to get to the final boss.

Holy hell though, every minute of the 45 hours so far have been a blast!  Great game

Are you a competitionist with games? Or is it possible to get through HK in a much shorter time? 45+ is enormous for a side scroller, and big even for a metroidvania. This game is currently pretty cheap on PSN too, but darn that's a lot of hours for me to dedicate to it. This is coming from someone whose ideal campaign length is 8-10 hours.

I'm usually not a completionist; Typically once I hit the end credits I am done and satisfied with a game.  If I love the game I do try to get everything though; This typically only usually happens with Mario and Zelda games for the most part.  With Celeste I rolled credits something like 10 hours in and spent a little time trying to get some stuff I missed but then wasn't having fun with that so I stopped.

With Hollow Knight, it's typically pretty clear what you can skip past and what is required for the main story, but I've loved all the side quests so far so I've kinda just been doing everything, except the hard bosses because combat is my least favorite part of these types of games.  Now that I'm super powerful hopefully I can blow through them all.  I got some more upgrades to find though.

There's a website you can use to see how long main campaigns are in games before you start them

https://howlongtobeat.com/

Yeah that site is a vital resource for me. I always reference it before a purchase! I'll probably take a punt on Hollow Knight whilst it's on sale.

Finished Metro Exodus, took me around 45 hours. I know when a game is especially compelling to me when I still want to play on even after 20 hours, although I was definitely glad when I finally reached the implausibly cosy conclusion (I got the good ending, apparently), as I had certainly began to tire of the oppressive survival rhythm after around 30 hours.

krnDkPQ.jpg

aTTvspO.jpg

pdzjfyU.jpg

NEkXswx.jpg

qeVm4t7.jpg

oUegpZp.jpg

cz2bybz.jpg

SIM94qg.jpg

U4n1pZ0.jpg

Searingly grim for long swathes of gameplay; there's still an unquestionable beauty in the bleakness of the many diverse and deeply atmospheric environments, enhanced greatly by a superb HDR presentation (which sadly can't be reproduced in these shots). It's also a rather hard challenge at certain points, and not without frustration caused by situations which can feel unfair on the player (I started out on the Hard setting, but would soon lower it down to Normal), nevertheless I stuck it out and found a way through the difficulty spikes after taking a step back to rethink my approach. The game at least welcomes different tactics, where other shooters only ever offer one way to proceed. In any case, if want an authentic feeling end of the world fantasy (with a strong western flavour), you can't really go wrong here.

8 out of 10

I've been slacking off playing for the past 3 weeks. I'm trying to finish this JRPG hack and slach Witch and the Hundred knight 2 but it's a slog . The bosses are hard tough

With some of those interchangeadbe Destiny Anthem Titanfall things crossed over with it.

Lightsaber looks like a boring random heavy baton with LED strips without dismemberment.

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That's why I said decent! Star Wars games have been trash for years.

True.  The last decent one was Battlefront 2 (2005) and the last really good one was KOTOR 2 (though still a major step down from KOTOR 1)

I'm also glad that it's not another fucking shooter. 

Just now, Holko said:

Someone's forgetting LEGO Star Wars!

I'd put them in the "mediocre" category with The Force Unleashed.  The cutscenes have some funny parts but the gameplay itself is pretty bland

They could crank one out every year if they really wanted

I'd rather have an annual Final Fantasy than Assassin's Creed

Ubisoft is making some sort of Zelda Breath of the Wild clone:

So many games. Even though I play them as fast as I can, I have a backlog of games already out that would take me a year to play

So apparently Shenmue III was announced to be an Epic Game Store exclusive on Windows instead of Steam, and people are _pissed_. They even asked for a refund from the developer. 

So what's the deal with Epic Game Store? Why are people so livid? 

Thank you for linking the article. Based on reading angry gamers' comments over this Shenmue business, and the theories listed on the Polygon article, it seems the unwritten Theory 5 might be most accurate: gamers can be real candy asses.

Between Tim Sweeney, a man well noted for his dedication to the medium for almost 30 years, and some random gamer comparing his company to Monsanto, I'm gonna trust the former.

I feel like I can't keep up on the new titles coming out so I'm going to have to start making choices about games I play, even if it means cutting those lower budget JRPG's I normally don't skip. Wasting 50 hours on Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 just made me realize that i could have spent my time on  better games.  

Final Fantasy XV is still on my backlog 2 years after coming out.So is God of War

As far as single player stuff goes, I made the decision a while ago now to only play games that focus on telling a good story. It's literally impossible to play everything of high quality these days, there's just too much of it coming out all at once.

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As far single player stuff goes, I made the decision a while ago now to only play games that focus on telling a good story. It's literally impossible to play everything of high quality these days, there's just too much of it coming out all at once.

Have you found any horror games lately that fit into this?

The Evil Within was the last really enjoyable one that I got into. The story there was pretty bonkers tbh, but in a good way. It was a very engimatic horror game and I've been meaning to play the well received sequel. Then again I've been "meaning" to play a lot of games...

Also, I hear the recent original Resident Evil game is a great horror experience, but I'm determined to wait until I'm able to go through that one in VR, because apparently it's horrendous.

41 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As far as single player stuff goes, I made the decision a while ago now to only play games that focus on telling a good story. It's literally impossible to play everything of high quality these days, there's just too much of it coming out all at once.

I still enjoy a solid gameplay experience. I’m currently wrapping up Rage 2, that blends id’s stellar Doom-like gameplay with the open world nature of Avalanche’s Mad Max. The story is garbage and a measly 10 missions that can be completed in a few hours, but the combat can be really satisfying. I found myself just skipping the cutscenes to get back to the gameplay. 

30 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Have you found any horror games lately that fit into this?

Not a traditional horror game, but Hellblade: Sensua’s Sacrifice is properly terrifying in its narrative and world building. 

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The Evil Within was the last really enjoyable one that I got into. The story there was pretty bonkers tbh, but in a good way. It was a very engimatic horror game and I've been meaning to play the well received sequel. Then again I've been "meaning" to play a lot of games...

Also, I hear the recent original Resident Evil game is a great horror experience, but I'm determined to wait until I'm able to go through that one in VR, because apparently it's horrendous.

I had a roommate about five years ago who tried to play The Evil Within and _hated_ it. I seem to remember he thought it was unfair and frustrating...he also would get really angry at a game "How do you do this!?" like twenty seconds after tutorial text popped up, so maybe mileage varies  *shrugs*.

Ha, we were talking about this like a month or so back; I had an in-depth response to you but JWFan whacked out on my phone and the post didn't submit properly. Resident Evil 7 is a _hell_ of a ride, with a very fun story that persuades you to progress through some very uncomfortable and harrowing moments. If there were a number of times I felt unnerved and hesitant to continue, I can only imagine how intense the VR mode is! Bottom line, though, it's probably the best Resident Evil yet, certainly my favorite, and I say this as a person who went through the teaser when it released and dismissed the game as some lame PT wannabe.

Highly recommended, it's got a lot for a lot of people. 

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Not a traditional horror game, but Hellblade: Sensua’s Sacrifice is properly terrifying in its narrative and world building. 

Just looked it up after you mentioned it. Sounds awesome! Apparently some people didn't like the gameplay, what was your feelings on it?