What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I've been playing some more Flight Simulator X lately. I like the game but as I've never dedicated enough time to learning how to actually fly (instead of just fooling around :D), I find most planes quite difficult to fly properly. However, a friend lent me some very cool joystick for some time now, so I'm planning on beginning to fly the "learning missions". :) Any advices or experience from anybody who's already played (or is still playing) FSX?

I've been playing some more Flight Simulator X lately. I like the game but as I've never dedicated enough time to learning how to actually fly (instead of just fooling around :D), I find most planes quite difficult to fly properly. However, a friend lent me some very cool joystick for some time now, so I'm planning on beginning to fly the "learning missions". :) Any advices or experience from anybody who's already played (or is still playing) FSX?

Big passenger planes = easier to control.

Just don't try to fly in loops with them. It doesn't work.

We have Portal 2 but I have a problem with orientating myself (in real life) so it drives me completely nuts.

Alex, you should sit down and settle in to Portal 2. Give yourself a chance to find your bearings and you will soon adjust. For me, it's the best game of the last five years, and I've played a lot. Portal 2 is a landmark title.

Portal 2 is one of the most singularly perfect games I've ever played. I'd highly recommend giving it another shot too, but if you have orientation problems I'd certainly understand passing on it. It isn't easy at the best of times to be flinging up and down between two portals on the floor trying to find the right spot to aim to stick another one at the best of times.

And speaking of Portal 2...

I can't wait.

I bought The Witcher: Enhanced Edition on sale at GOG.com, been wanting to check it out forever. Unfortunately I'm having some hardware issues with my computer and can't play anything much beyond the most basic games right now. Fable III (a Steam purchased Christmas gift) is also on the waiting list. Right now I'm replaying Final Fantasy XIII, and still loving every minute of it. It really is one of my favorite Final Fantasys ever.

Put me down as a Portal lover as well. The game is genuinely hilarious and exhilarating all the same. One of my favorites from last year. I wouldn't want to create my own test chambers though, I would have preferred a DLC that added more co-op missions.

I think I'm losing interest in games in general. This past holiday season, I bought so many I just kinda gave up trying to play them all equally. Wasted money on Twisted Metal and SSX and barely played those. Problem is I keep buying them but never play them. Max Payne 3 and Game Of Thrones are coming out soon, I normally would want to check those out. Then there's Sorcery at the end of the month, which looks like a worthy PS Move game.

I honestly might turn into a Call Of Duty gamer. Just buy that crap every year.

I'm on an online hiatus at the moment. Campaigns are my thing again. Witcher 2 is slowly moving forward, I hammered Trials Evolution all last week and I'm making my way through Half Life 2 and its episodes again.

I'm on an online hiatus at the moment. Campaigns are my thing again.

I'm the opposite. Actually, I just have really weird gaming habits. I don't know. I really got into Dead Island, then I attempted co-op with a friend who beat it back when it came out, and that absolutely ruined it for me. Haven't touched it since. Same thing happened with Borderlands. When it comes to open world/exploration/RPG type games, I have a specific way of playing them. My friend joined, started a main quest I was saving for later, and flew threw an entirely new location, me trying to keep up. I search every last corner of every room for shit in RPGs. He pretty much killed the vibe I had going with the game. With Borderlands, a friend joined and gave me all his hacked weapons that kill anything with one shot. Ruined the several hours I had established earlier. Never went back.

I have no desire to continue Assassin's Creed Revelations, Rage, the MGS HD Collection (I forgot how horrendous the controls were in Sons Of Liberty), Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Dead Space 2, etc.

I bought fl0w the other day because I loved Flower and Journey so much. I probably won't touch that again, only played for an hour or so.

I should quit gaming for awhile and then go back to it. All I play is COD, and I got so bored with my main account that I started playing with my alternative one tonight.

It's such a dull trap to fall into though, playing CoD (or any fps) day in day out. You're probably similar to me in that you can't be bothered anymore in big expansive worlds to explore and side missions to pad out the runtime. Now I just want a straight line with a story - but one with as little dialogue as possible. For this reason, The Witcher will be the last RPG I ever play.

Maybe, but I really loved Skyrim, and clocked in 112 hours with that. I think it's just this weird transitional period going on in my life right now. I'm noticing a change of interest in all my usual hobbies.

You've got a family, so I don't know how you still make time for these games lol.

Maybe, but I really loved Skyrim, and clocked in 112 hours with that. I think it's just this weird transitional period going on in my life right now. I'm noticing a change of interest in all my usual hobbies.

I'm having so much more fun with Kingdom of Amalur. The world cooler to explore and the quests better presented. I'm 40 hours in and only did about 1/6 the of the map plus I bought 2 DLC's

once the baby is in bed I'm usually free to please myself.

Wow, no one picked up on that?

I tried to play Arkham City but I couldn't get past the startup screen. I bought it on Steam, and once I got into the game, it needed me to log in using a Games For Windows Live account as well. Since I don't have one of those, or know if I do, and it was really late, I got mad and never went back to it.

I think I should go back through the first game, anyways, since I never beat it on account of how imprecise I got at using kb+m. I wasn't able to beat the last boss fight before Titan Joker. I haven't gone back to it after buying my X360 gamepad; it's in the queue.

I rented Arkham City for PS3 last fall and played about a quarter of the main story, I really enjoyed it. I had to stop myself and take it back early to save most of the game for when I did buy it.

I had the same problem you had with my gifted Steam copy of Fable III. I did eventually get it to work, but it ran so bad on my current emergency cheap replacement video card I put it aside until I upgrade.

Love the avatar by the way, Woj.

Thanks. I did the same thing in Facebook a few times, but "wore" my glasses over there. I think the eyes are too high anatomically, but I kinda like it. Definitely has a "The Parking Lot is Full" vibe.

I tried to play Arkham City but I couldn't get past the startup screen. I bought it on Steam, and once I got into the game, it needed me to log in using a Games For Windows Live account as well. Since I don't have one of those, or know if I do, and it was really late, I got mad and never went back to it.

I don't blame you. That MS have the gaul to place yet another pointless barrier between you and your purchase disgusts me. They need to fuck GFW off for good.

GFW never bothered me when I played Fallout 3 for the longest time, because I was never online while I played -- back on dialup -- since it didn't require Steam. But the first time I was online at the same time, BAM, GFWL phoned home, asked me to create an account, and "deleted" my savegames. It didn't actually delete them, it just created a new folder for the savegames in a different place and looked there; I was able to move my files from the original folder and continue, but I lost interest in the game right after the Enclave appeared -- I know, I know, right when it started to get good.

GFWL wasn't used for FNV, and it didn't bother me for Asylum because I wasn't online at the time. Now with FIOS perpetually connected, it'll take some more clever finagling to get to work.

Steam is great. GFWL by itself is manageable. But both is like training wheels on a tumor.

~*~

I think you meant "gall" as a synonym for audacity, but I knew what you meant.

I'm having so much more fun with Kingdom of Amalur. The world cooler to explore and the quests better presented. I'm 40 hours in and only did about 1/6 the of the map plus I bought 2 DLC's

I wasn't a fan of the demo. I'm probably more a Bethesda fan than an RPG fan. Couldn't get into Dragon Age either. Maybe because Fallout 3 was my first real foray into the genre, and it remains my favorite game of all time. So everything else I attempt pales in comparison.

I also dig Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, but lack the patience for it. I forgot about Dark Souls actually, another game I bought full price and will never beat.

Well, I'll say again. If you couldn;t get through Demon's Souls, maybe you can get through Dark Souls.. It's still difficult, but at least the bonfires make it more user friendly because you can rest there. So it's not like your stuck in the Nexus not knowing what to do anymore

I was on a roll man, I was kicking ass left and right and I didn't even have armor. Just a wooden plank for a shield and a giant blunt stick. But I misunderstood how the bonfires worked. You may remember my rant. I got so far into unknown territory, found one, lit it thinking it worked like a checkpoint, and kept on going further in. I eventually died, but thought no biggie since that last one wasn't too far back. But then it teleported me back to the start of the area where I was 2 hours ago. I was done.

Do you get bonfires positioned just before bosses? If so, are the bosses still a pain in the arse? I hate bosses in almost ALL games.

yeah , you have to press a second time to actually light them and activate the menus

The thing is, by doing that you respawn all the enemies. It's the equivalent of dying sans starting at the beginning of the area. The one I was at was just a short walk away from a giant horde I had cleared out. I didn't want to respawn them so I lit the thing and kept walking. Makes no sense for your character to be able to light it without sitting at it, if lighting it does nothing whatsoever.

Do you get bonfires positioned just before bosses? If so, are the bosses still a pain in the arse? I hate bosses in almost ALL games.

I love a good boss. It's kind of the quintessential ingredient in a game. Without a final foe to overcome, I find endings to be less effective. There's no climax. Of course there are exceptions to what I'm describing, but games like BioShock 2 and Resistance 3 just throw a couple waves of enemies at you and the game's over. Boring as hell. For me, the ending should be the hardest part of the game. You get that awesome elation in the denouement. It doesn't even have to be difficult per se, just well written so you still get that feeling. Sometime's you get both, like with the Uncharted games. Among Thieves almost made me go insane on Crushing. I think I spent like 2-3 days just trying to kill that bastard.

Anyway, to answer your original question: As far as I got, which wasn't too far, there are bonfires in key areas. The first boss, the "tutorial" one, has a bonfire right before it. I never made it to another boss. The worst part of Demon's Souls was clearing out the entire area again if you died in a boss fight.

I just don't like arbitrary boss fights that are there purely out of an old gaming tradition. It's like a tall vertical wall is placed in front of the player and access is denied to what's beyond, until you hit the glowing red areas under the armour. Sometimes I'm plugging away after ten attempts, thinking, why?

The best bosses are the ones which are major players in the plot - MGS, Batman baddies, that sort of thing. They're usually the most inventive, too. Oh and the GoD of War titans are great fun.

Okay, we're in agreement then. Demon's/Dark Souls is kinda like the brick wall variety. The games have no real plot whatsoever, so that's the primary draw of playing them: get your ass kicked by impossible bosses.

I like bosses that feel organic to the plot and environment. I typically dislike boss battles when they lock you into the chamber and don't let you leave until the battle is won or find more interesting ways of bypassing them. That's very Mario Brothers-esque of the games.

The bosses in the Arkham games do that. They lock you in the room and prevent Batman from using his grappler to jump out of harm's way and pelt them from above.

The hardest thing in Demon's souls is that you can't save your game, and the auto save doesn't allow you to go back in time. Make a bad crafting decision or character building decision...your stuck with it

The worst boss is the final one in Demon' Souls. It can permanently suck off levels that took you several days of playtime to gain. And you can't load a save game from just before you tried to kill him.

Dark souls had a few hair pulling bosses, like the combo of Smough and Ornstein

Yeah ,but the memories of epicness linger long after you finish the game. That's what makes great games

I'm ranking Demon's Souls /Dark Souls among the top 5 games I ever played, right up there with Ultima Underworld 2 and other classics

There's this area in Dark Souls (the Tomb of Giants at the bottom of the Catacombs) where it's literally pitch black and you have to rely on a lantern or light spells (of limited uses of course) . At some point a gadzillion baby skeletons attack you like piranhas. It's like WTF as your frantically swinging your sword around you . I get chills just thinking about it because it was actually horrifying

It's next to impossible to find more than a couple of boss fights which don't work that way. I can't think of any right now.

Even Skyrim, a game of wide-open outdoor exploration, puts a boss at the end of each major tomb that prevents (or at least restricts) backtracking or escape into the next section, which is often just a drop from an unscalable height back to the tunnel entrance. At least the dragon fights that happen outdoors (I think there is one in underground Blackreach, though it's marked as an outdoor region due to the scale) do not restrict your escape...provided you can run away from or evade a dragon.

Certainly games like Fallout 3/NV and the Elder Scrolls do have bosses, but aside from the ones mentioned above, these usually do feel organic to the game itself, and are often just bad guys with extreme amounts of hit points or better abilities/weapons.

It's games like Deus Ex 3 that reward you for playing one kind of character by presenting a boss that must be executed in order to advance.

I have to restart that game; I didn't realize that the bad guys in the prologue count towards the "don't kill anyone" statistic, and I spent so long exploring HQ that the hostages were killed. At least the joke about entering the woman's bathroom was carried over from the first game.

Wojo, the way your playing you won't finish any game, controlling the outcome of every quest perfectly is almost impossible

I spent way too much time in Skyrim forging weapons and armors, but I did all the scripted quests in the game I think. The best ones were the Daedric artifacts

"You're"

No, I'll tell you what will keep me from finishing any game. I have not touched Skyrim since 3/17. I have only invested 36 hours of my life into the $40 purchase. That sounds about right

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Walking Dead Ep1. I've never gotten into a Telltale game before, but this was very interesting. More of an interactive movie than actual gameplay, it was a surprisingly involving and genuinely gripping experience. The bad controls seem deliberately designed with stress and panicky decision making in mind, and it just works terrifically well as a device of terror - an absolute rarity in video games.

Priced at 400MSP, the two hour long first episode is an essential purchase for both fans of the franchise and point and click adventures. I for one am very much looking forward to the next installment. 7/10.

I have a question. I'm thinking about buying a PS3, but I just want to be sure about the AV aspect. I want to use the HDMI to connect to my TV for video, but I want to also use the standard AV output to plug into my 2-channel stereo amplifier for sound. Is it possible to run both the HDMI and AV out on the PS3 at the same time?

I'm not positive, but I think there is a setting that allows you to. Let me check real quick on my own system and I'll let you know.

Yeah, under Audio Output Settings, you can choose HDMI, Optical Digital, or Audio Input Connector/SCART/AV MULTI.