What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Lol, when I think of console hardware generations I think of raw power and performance when drawing comparisons. I think most people who follow these things do to be honest. Nintendo are always the first to make a distinction between their hardware and everyone else's. They prefer not to be bundled into generational grouping, and with the Wii that worked fine for them. The core audience isn't looking forward to E3 see Nintendo blow them away with their new Super Mario graphics. "Next gen" implies cutting edge.

It should have been more powerful

It should have been more powerful and minus a gimmicky handheld touchscreen which nobody wants and devs haven't a clue what to do with other than throw inventory and mini maps on it.

Maybe then people wouldn't have 'wrongly' attributed the machine to the current generation, which begun nearly ten years ago.

The controller does look excellent, though. Styled on the 360 one it's plain to see. Oh hang on - WTF are the buttons doing all the way down there?! That's Irish!

But more advanced controls than anything until Kinect came along. Nintendo simply sacrificed graphics for cost to aim for a wider, less hard core audience. The fact nobody here cares for the Wii makes it no less relevant to its core audience.

That being said, the majority of game makers make crap games for it. The number of decent games worth playing is depressingly small.

Played some Crysis 3 beta on both the Xbox and the PC. It's potentially brilliant IF Crytek look after it and the community post-launch instead of abandoning them like they did with the last one. Oh and it looks like arse on console. The next gen really, REALLY can't get here quick enough at this point.

Finally completed Bioshock 2. A good game, but not as good as the original mainly due to a tedious storyline and a complete lack of variety in environments. Still had that great quirky vibe to it though. 7/10.

Probably gonna start Dead Space 2 next. I feel like some cheap scares!

But more advanced controls than anything until Kinect came along. Nintendo simply sacrificed graphics for cost to aim for a wider, less hard core audience. The fact nobody here cares for the Wii makes it no less relevant to its core audience.

That being said, the majority of game makers make crap games for it. The number of decent games worth playing is depressingly small.

I'd have played Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter and Pandora's Tower

The thought of you playing a FPS is funny to me. You have a weird aversion to guns.

I know you've played Elder Scrolls, did you ever give Fallout a chance? Or something like Mass Effect? Plenty of RPG elements to keep one interested.

Of course!

I played (and finished) Fallout 3, New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and Borderlands (and plan on buying Borderlands 2). I've posted that many times too

It's just the CoD type of gameplay (of endless repetition that doesn't lead to anything) I hate. It's like it sucks your soul or something

Ah that's right. Don't remember you talking about Mass Effect, but the others yes.

COD is fast-paced action shooting. Pretty much the equivalent of a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off tossed into a fighting ring with AK47s.

That's how I feel playing it too

Hmm, it says here Ni No Kuni is a 27GB game. That's pretty fucking huge. I'd take like 5 xbox disks to fit it on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-01-sony-working-to-fix-broken-ni-no-kuni-psn-download

I'm still torn what familiars to level up in this game. Magic is very impractical because of high MP cost (+ no MP regeneration after battle) And I think I'm wasting slots trying to make spell casters because they become useless after 3 battles

Got Dead Space 3 and Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time today. I wonder how horrible the latter is that they dropped the price from $60 to $40 and tossed in the Vita version for free weeks before the launch.

Went back to Dishonored, started over but still doing it hardcore without alerting anyone, killing anyone, and only using Blink. I successfully completed the prison escape and the first assassination mission and am now on the third one. I was doing pretty fine, played about 2 hours worth of this, but it turns out in order to get the nonlethal outcome I had to do a side mission from before that I skipped. So I went back, did that, and then went back to The Golden Cat to torture that guy again, but he didn't give me the safe combo since I already did it before without having the side mission activated. So now I'm basically fucked and have to start the mission over. This fucking game...

Got Dead Space 3 and Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time today. I wonder how horrible the latter is that they dropped the price from $60 to $40 and tossed in the Vita version for free weeks before the launch.

Went back to Dishonored, started over but still doing it hardcore without alerting anyone, killing anyone, and only using Blink. I successfully completed the prison escape and the first assassination mission and am now on the third one. I was doing pretty fine, played about 2 hours worth of this, but it turns out in order to get the nonlethal outcome I had to do a side mission from before that I skipped. So I went back, did that, and then went back to The Golden Cat to torture that guy again, but he didn't give me the safe combo since I already did it before without having the side mission activated. So now I'm basically fucked and have to start the mission over. This fucking game...

I like the scores for the Dead Space trilogy, Jason Graves is a pretty cool, up and coming composer. I think he and his neighbour built an instrument which he uses with a bow and mallets and what not to get those eerie effects. Pretty cool stuff.

I really miss Bioshock though, wish I could forget the story and redo it. Also the music is insane !! Absolutely love that 20s-50s music that's in the OST. Especially like the score for Bioshock 2. I was shitting my pants when I heard the screaming choirs - I have to use that effect sometime in my own music.

I didn't have any of those problems because I just dispatched anyone who was a problem for stealth tactics. I also tortured that guy and got the code. Still got the good ending and the cheevo for being mostly harmless. I don't think I'd bother playing games if my play style turned them into awkward annoyances.

Did you talk to Slackjaw before torturing the guy? When I tortured him he just talked about how he stole from the twins, but no combo. Unless another shock after he says the safety word does it? I didn't want to accidentally kill him.

I beat the final boss in Ni No Kuni. It was pretty hard and I died the first time. You have to be well prepared and grinded a lot of levels during the main game and not wasted your important healing items on lesser bosses

There's extra sidequests to do after the main game

I haven't had to grind yet, but I've only played 3-4 hours. The density of enemies ensures you don't take more than a few steps without running into a battle.

I'm up to Mission 6 in Dishonored. These tallboys are starting to complicate things!

Yeah they're a pain in the arse, or at least they come across that way at first.

Let's just say they're nowhere near as frighteningly hazardous as the ones in Half Life 2.

The good thing about the OUYA is that even if the games shouldn't be interesting enough, it'll still be a nice media centre. All the standard media servers are already ready for it. And it'll have all the emulators you won't find on your bleeding edge consoles.

Oh man Dead Space 2 had to be one of the very best games of its generation. I'm halfway through it on pc (where it's absolutely beautiful when scaled upto 1080p with AA and 60fps) and I'm utterly riveted to the sofa!

I beat the final boss in Ni No Kuni. It was pretty hard and I died the first time. You have to be well prepared and grinded a lot of levels during the main game and not wasted your important healing items on lesser bosses

There's extra sidequests to do after the main game

So anyway, was it any good? Your lack of enthusiasm here gives the impression is was just another run of the mill RPG.

Well, it's probably the best of them graphically and environment design

But there's some flaws in the battle system, for example magic is basically useless for you A.I. characters (except healing) since they waste all their magic points in a few turns and it doesn't regenerate after battles. (and MP potions are super expensive). So picking "familiars" with cool elemental spells is kind of pointless. Also when spell animations happen, the game forgets the command you picked right before like to defend or heal . Some bosses are tough so all that didn't help.

Also it's very "vanilla" in terms of story and dialogue compared to some others. The Tales games had better stories with WTF moments . The Atelier series had dialogue lines that sometimes make you LOL and great characters . Valkeria Chronicles had cut scenes that moved you to tears. Also the fact that your "sidekick" describes in detail exactly what you have to do in every quest kinds of makes everything too easy.

It's a good game overall still, and the sidequests are fun to do

This review is pretty accurate as far as the flaws are concerned:

http://gamerhorizon.com/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review/

Finished Dishonored, snagging up half the trophies too boot, I'll start up my "normal" play through later on.

The ending was horribly anticlimactic, with the plot turn as predictable as they come. I pegged it the second I learned killing the Lord Reget was Mission 6 out of 9.

I also never realized there were a ton of celebrities voicing here. I always thought Granny Rags sounded familiar, but never placed Susan Surandon in my mind. Michael Madsen, John Slattery, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Carrie Fisher also voice.

No, I've heard of it many times over the years but unfortunately missed its original run. It's a highly regarded point and click adventure series which I'm quite surprised you have played, Marian. Anyway, one hopes they get their funding for this.

Darksiders 2 is off to a good start.

I can see it's a good mix of RPG, Diablo type looting, hack and slash God of War combat and environmental puzzles (some of them not so easy) and a bit of "platforming". Plus you have to collect special items for bonuses. Whatever there's a lot of things to do

Skyrim DLC finally hits PS3. Woot!

Still kicking myself for selling the main game