What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

That’s been a thing for years, and it’s atrocious. I thought it was only an issue with COD games, at least in my experience. Sometimes it’ll take upwards of an hour to “copy” a downloaded update to the application. 

many years? I never had this until recently

I dunno about MMO's.I seem to be doing useless random stuff  and it's gonna take forever to get interesting so not feeling it yet

Maybe I'll just start God of War instead

The copying files issue is supposed to be addressed with the PS5. Destiny 2 takes about 30 mins every time there's an update.

They could speed it up now, but you know all those issues you can have updating PC games on occasion? That.

Playing at bit more of my MMO Black Desert . I found a spot of enemies where I leveled from level 23 to level 49 in about 2 hours which gives me access to a lot of the skills and spells considering the level cap is 62 (only 12 levels more).  Now leveling past level 50 activates "PVP" in the game and I read it's better to do the story and sidequests  without activating it.

Well! A little while ago, I beat Shantae and the Pirate's Curse!

I actually had managed to find all 32 Heart Squids along the way, so had 10 full hearts of health, which was nice, as the final level had some tough platforming challengers.  The final boss, however, was incredibly easy, which I supposed wasn't a surprise because most bosses in this game were very easy.

Unfortunately, since I only had 11 out of 20 TInkerbats/Dark Magic found, I didn't get the "good ending", I basically got a fairly inconsequential "bad ending".  I don't know if I'm going to go back in and find all 9 of those Tinkerbats or not.... it will basically involve me re-exploring every corner of every level.... blerg.  We'll see.

My completion time was 10 hours, 48 minutes.

Overall, I'd give the game a B+. What I loved about it was the music, the characters, the art, and the "story".  I put story in quotes because I wasn't actually compelled by the plot of this game or anything, simply that as the main story progresses, it was also through very funny dialogue, with a variety of different characters I always enjoyed reading what they were up to. What I didn't like about this game was the clunky controls, unfair platforming, and wonky systems.  Some of the control issues get better once you are fully upgraded, both with the upgrades you find and the ones you have to buy.  But even with everything, you can simply never control Shantae as smoothly as you can control Mario or The Knight, and that's a shame.  And some of the platforming was so frustrating, but not in a way like Celeste or Hollow Knight where you know you have it in you to improve and get it done, some of it just seemed hard for hard's sake.  

And they also need to figure out a better health and save system.  I was halfway through the game when I realized a simply trick that EXPONENTIALLY makes the game easier, and that is simply this:  Every time you get to a save point, you should immediately quit and re-enter the game.  This takes less than 5 seconds, but returns you EXACTLY where you left off, except now with FULL HEALTH!  Once I realized that, everything was easier as I was no longer blowing through potions and food items.  However, this of course lays bare the extreme oversight that the game makers had, which is: If you can do that unlimited times with no penalties whatsoever, why no simply make the save point ALSO heal you up?  Annoying. 

The same time I bought this, I also bought Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, so I'll pay that eventually, but my next platforming game is going to be Steamworld Dig 2, which I've also already purchased and will start soon.

I like Black Desert a lot, but it seems hopeless like it would take years to do everything in there.

I think I've begun to understand most of the games mechanics so I can really start playing

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

And here comes Battlefront's free Rise of Skywalker expansion:

Thank you, Quintus. I did not realize this was released. My daily multivitamin does not cure OCD or cremeritis, either, like Jay's does. 

So yesterday in Black Desert I spent the whole time farming carrots and whey. I had to build an irrigation system so the moisture level would be ok and a scarecrow so birds wouldn't eat my crops. Except  I have no idea why I should be farming carrots and whey .  That's the problem i'm having with MMO's

I'm about twenty hours into Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I have a tendency to cherry pick from this franchise and have only actually played through two of them in entirety. Anyway, I heard this one is perhaps the biggest of the lot and reportedly the single largest hand built open word ever created for a video game.

iC4jGkn.jpg

I normally get put off by enormous games, but I love Greece and well this game is basically ancient Greece rendered in spectacular video game geometry. So even if I don't finish it (I'm going to try to), I'll still enjoy the exploration aspect for the sheer chilled joy of discovery that it constantly is.

It helps that the girl's storyline is genuinely intriguing and the gameplay fun. The full on RPG embrace that this AC instalment has doubled down on seems to be paying off. Ama gonna dig in on this one till it's done.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I love Greece and well this game is basically ancient Greece rendered in spectacular video game geometry.

I spent at least 20 minutes exploring a Parthenon (plus bonus giant Athena Promachos) that wasn't just a couple white columns!

I liked Origins in Egypt better, it was somewhat more focused, but settingwise Odyssey is fantastic.

I read that Origins didn't have any dialogue options, which would go a significant way towards explaining the stronger sense of focus there. Odyssey is a fully fledged RPG; think Skyrim or Fallout - it's the first Assassin's Creed game to be done in that way.

I'll probably play Origins eventually though. I love the Egyptian setting and at the end of the day I just prefer a good linear story in my games. I don't need to have narrative choices put in front of me in order to feel like my inputs have agency in a sprawling adventure sandbox.

I tried to get into Odyssey, but it was too big for its own good. I also found the combat system oddly difficult and frustrating for the scope of the game. I didn’t want to spend 30 minutes clearing out one fort as a point of interest on the map. I tried lowering it down so I could just breeze through the open world gameplay but even that didn’t work. The bounty and leveling system seemed out of whack.

The sailing mechanics are still superb, however, so I do regret not getting to play more of that.

I guess I'll skip Origins and go right to Odyssey

I haven't played too many Assassin's Creed , but I did enjoy Black Flag. 

Problem is I have so many games backed up AC always seems to get pushed back .

Problem I had when you wake up in real life for portions of the game , the actual game world seems like a "fake world" and kind of removed the immersion

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I tried to get into Odyssey, but it was too big for its own good. I also found the combat system oddly difficult and frustrating for the scope of the game. I didn’t want to spend 30 minutes clearing out one fort as a point of interest on the map. I tried lowering it down so I could just breeze through the open world gameplay but even that didn’t work. The bounty and leveling system seemed out of whack.

My guess is that as you usually do you bought the game at or near launch. I waited more than a year. Or should I say, I waited for a year's worth of updates, as I usually do.

I remember this particular game at launch was very controversial for its bugs and then excessively cynical design choices. This made me avoid it at that time. But I must admit it doesn't surprise me that you were undeterred.

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Problem I had when you wake up in real life for portions of the game , the actual game world seems like a "fake world" and kind of removed the immersion

Oh shit I forgot about that aspect. They should just give it up already, that whole stupid sci-fi thread they're determined to keep going. These games are historical epics at their core. That's why they're successful. But yeah, in twenty hours worth of Odyssey I've not been extracted from the simulation once yet.

Jedi : Fallen Order is on Amazon for £38 which seemed quite reasonable, so I've bought it. The hype for The Rise Of Skywalker recently inspired me to dig out Battlefront 2 ... still a vast improvement on its predecessor, thanks to actually having a full-blown 'story' game on the disc.      

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

My guess is that as you usually do you bought the game at or near launch. I waited more than a year. Or should I say, I waited for a year's worth of updates, as I usually do.

I remember this particular game at launch was very controversial for its bugs and then excessively cynical design choices. This made me avoid it at that time. But I must admit it doesn't surprise me that you were undeterred.

I never buy AC games at launch because they’re always heavily discounted within a couple months. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Don't ever buy a multiplayer shooter for its tacked on campaign though.

Oh, I'm not much of a buyer any more ... Jedi Fallen Order is my first game purchase since, I think, Uncharted The Lost Legacy (Battlefront 2 was a Christmas present 2 years ago, if memory serves). As I approach 49, the gaming inclination is not what it was. 

Fallen Order 100%ed (except for achievements which I never ever cared about) in 39 hours. I loved it for the most part, but thought the ending was kinda quick and weak. Way more fun than I expected.

Alright that MMO Black Desert is starting to feel like a chore so i'll try Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Never played a Tomb Raider game before

19 hours ago, Quintus said:

Rise and Shadow aren't really Tomb Raider games. Not at all actually, apart from the labelling.

They took a lot of inspiration from Uncharted, which took a lot of inspiration from OG Tomb Raider. It’s come full circle!

I like the games but don’t find them to be particularly outstanding. 

You're essentially playing the franchises in the wrong order, but hey ho. It'd be like seeing The Mummy and then watching Raiders after it. Also, if you ever do play Uncharted, I'd skip straight to the second game. The first one is very crude now, and it was never that great to begin with. Uncharted 2 however probably still looks decent and it's the best one. It's a fabulous adventure game.

It's a trilogy of games Mark. The story starts in Tomb Raider 2013, continues in Rise of the Tomb Raider, and concludes (for now) in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 

It's much more... Indiana Jones trilogy than LotR trilogy from what I remember. The most significant boost you get by playing them in order is seeing the graphics getting better with each installment.