What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I've got the complete SW saga for Wii, and that's the only Lego game I want.

I think it's a shame they have to go to the POTC movie franchise for a Lego game, when the Lego universe has such a wealth of great Pirate ship and base sets to visit. More's the pity that the Lego game can't use on Johnny Depp's overacting, but at least they'll do a pretty good approximation of Miss Swann's physique with Legos.

Would LOTR be a conflict of interest, since Lego also has the Harry Potter franchise? At least with the Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and Batman games, there were already physical Lego sets with those IPs. POTC? Nope.

Nah, you're not alone. I love Lego Indy 1.

I've always enjoyed the atmosphere that POTC has, the movies aren't the best, rather just fun watches. I'm thinking about getting this.

Anyone interested in the new Mortal Kombat game coming out?

I know I'm the only one here who loves the Lego games:

Platforming puzzles with a fixed camera . No thanks

Games I can't stand:

-2D/Fixed camera platforming games (Lego,Super Mario, Donkey Kong...)

-War themed FPS (Medal of Honor,Call of Duty).

-Sports games

-2D fighting games

Games I can't stand:

-Sports games

-2D fighting games

The same for me, except I find the first two enjoyable from time to time, when I don't want to think.

Games I can't stand:

-Sports games

-2D fighting games

I think that covers just about everything besides RPGs, and I suppose third person shooters.

Sports games are pretty much the only games I really play outside of the Lego games and a few of the older Star Wars games I have for my Game Cube.

It's bad enough I collect film scores and Godzilla figures, can't too geeky with all these silly fantasy video games. ;)

I'm experiencing nostalgic bliss this evening. Thanks to the wonders of Amazon's panoply of cheap, used items, I've installed and begun playing the original TPM game on my computer. This game is special to me because back when we got a PS2 in 2001 - my first game console - this was the first game I played on it. It worked for quite a while, but it started refusing to load a few years back. Revisiting it on the computer now is a little different, of course, but it's still the same game, and it's really a delight to experience again. It's weird how I remember so many things, yet there are significant details I've forgotten. But then there are parts where I'll instinctively gravitate toward the right spot, even though I'm not sure why I'm going over there.

Anyway, objectively, I know this game isn't that great. I knew that at the time, too - in fact, I was pretty disappointed with it at first. But the nostalgia factor is huge, and I'm getting a major kick out of this.

Excellent review of Dragon Age 2 here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-08-dragon-age-ii-review

The distinct lack of inventory menus and squad customisation means I might just have a crack at this. I like playing an rpg once in a while - for the adventure itself, rather than the long drudge of character customisation. I HATE micro management filing systems with a passion. Looks like Bioware care.

I know I'm the only one here who loves the Lego games:

Games I can't stand:

-Sports games

-2D fighting games

That's some great games you're missing, not just the LEGO. Mario for starters, the NHL games, Street Fighter II and its ilk.

I take games one at a time, and don't discount them based on genre.

A lot of the genres that KM eliminates are good for playing multiplayer, like in a big group. Sure, FPS are fun over a network, but getting three or four people to play hockey, futbol, racing, or even a board game around the TV is a lot of fun.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii, multiplayer? Now there's a game that destroys relationships.

Meh-he-he-he-heh. Dark thoughts for my 10,666th post.

(Any) Mario Party multiplayer. Now there's a game that destroys relationships.

*Fixed

As for FPS, they are so stale to me nowadays. I prefer Third Person Shooters, but really the only shooter I play nowadays is Uncharted 2 (still!). Then it will be Uncharted 3.

and speaking of Uncharted 3................

Uncharted 3's main villainess revealed

:up:

*Fixed

No, there's a special reason it's more heinous on the Wii.

The only other MP Mario games I played were 1 and 3 on the NES. 1 was pointless because you'd each do your own thing, without interacting with the other person, as far as I remember. But Mario 3 was different in that you'd leapfrog. Mario would clear this stage, then Luigi would clear the next, and so on. The argument would come from using a key power-up like the P-Wing but wasting it, or dying just to give the harder level to someone who doesn't want it.

Mario Wii puts up to four people onscreen at once, which is crazy fun but also ridiculous. If people aren't coordinated, it leads to many offscreen fall deaths or deprivations of power-ups.

*Fixed

No, there's a special reason it's more heinous on the Wii.

The only other MP Mario games I played were 1 and 3 on the NES. 1 was pointless because you'd each do your own thing, without interacting with the other person, as far as I remember. But Mario 3 was different in that you'd leapfrog. Mario would clear this stage, then Luigi would clear the next, and so on. The argument would come from using a key power-up like the P-Wing but wasting it, or dying just to give the harder level to someone who doesn't want it.

Mario Wii puts up to four people onscreen at once, which is crazy fun but also ridiculous. If people aren't coordinated, it leads to many offscreen fall deaths or deprivations of power-ups.

Oh believe, I know what you mean. It's kind of like how Little Big Planet 1 or 2 get when you roll with 4 people. But playing New SMB Wii with someone who is not good at platforming/video games in general is :shakehead: .

Mario Party on the other hand.......wow, stealing someones Star....might as well have boned their girlfriend with how angry they might get. :)

Anyway, objectively, I know this game isn't that great. I knew that at the time, too - in fact, I was pretty disappointed with it at first. But the nostalgia factor is huge, and I'm getting a major kick out of this.

I was very disappointed by TPM when it came out. Up to then LucasArts had been releasing nearly exclusively great games. Their adventure games and space combat sims were the best of their kind, and still easily rank among the greatest games of all time. They had the music engine in the game industry and a team of composers writing brilliant original scores.

Along came TPM the movie, and suddenly LucasArts started doing mostly Star Wars games, dozens of them, usually done seemingly quickly and without much care, generally hit and (mostly) miss. The podracer game was tons of fun for a while and showed that technically average games can still be cool, but at least on a technical level, it was still a clear step backwards. Original scores were mostly avoided for re-edits of Williams' film soundtracks, and even classic iMuse scores were dropped for updated versions of the X-Wing series.

There were a few good games since (I loved Jedi Outcast), but for me, TPM marks the point when LucasArts stopped being a first rate game company.

I remember playing TPM. I think I gave up on the level you played as Panaka.

Episode I was a 2.5 hour trailer for the video game.

Jedi Outcast was great, but very tough. I never beat it fairly because I couldn't beat the boss on Bespin, and I never made my way to Desaan on Yavin IV without cheating.

Jedi Academy was a lot more fun and satisfying. I'm not saying it was because it was easier and beatable. It was, but it was also because they dropped the typical Doom/Quake-style of mini-bosses after so many levels. I know I would not have been able to beat the admiral in the revamped clonetrooper outfit.

I do find that I get many levels in Jedi Outcast and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force mixed up in my head, because they looked so similar being built on the Quake III Arena engine.

KM shows that his extremely limited taste isn't just exclusive to his music.

Not so limited .I go through a title every 2 weeks or so and I never run out of games to play. At least I'm not stuck on COD online for the past 3 years

I also forgot to add "games based on movies" in my list

I'll agree with that, those are never good.

Also, Lee and I, nor anybody else really, is stuck on COD for eternity. Yes, the games are rather derivative, but it's a highly accessible online shooter that pretty much guarantees endless hours of entertainment, with an endless amount of challenges to complete.

A RPG is similar in the sense that it's almost never ending, but you don't get the mutual connection with those. You can't really sit down with your buddies and pop in Fallout 3. I personally prefer RPGs over the like of COD, but after awhile, it's nice to talk to somebody "real" and actually work together to achieve something.

A RPG is similar in the sense that it's almost never ending, but you don't get the mutual connection with those. You can't really sit down with your buddies and pop in Fallout 3. I personally prefer RPGs over the like of COD, but after awhile, it's nice to talk to somebody "real" and actually work together to achieve something.

Bull. That's precisely what World of Warcraft is. It hits on every single point you attribute to multiplayer FPS like COD. Fallout 3 was never meant to be anything more than a single player game, like Interplay's original two Fallout games and Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise. WOW is multiplayer RPG gaming at its finest. Since it's PC only, nobody here will touch it, and since it's a game you have to subscribe to, it's a game you'll never catch me involved with.

I never have my console connected to the internet except for updates. I look for single player games with complex stories and a lot of stuff to do. When I'm done with all the single player contents I move on to another title.

I tried a FPS online on my PC a few years ago and played for about a month ( Half Life 2 Deathmatches). Everytime I ended up getting a headache or wanting to throw something at my screen. It's not fun and there's always the nerds high on Red Bull who play 24/7 or a bunch of cheaters that will own your ass

Anyways since Quint accused me (again) of having "extremely limited taste", here's the list of all games I've played on my xbox 360/PS3 so far

-Traditionnal RPG:

Fable 2 and 3

Dragon Age

Risen

Two Worlds

Arcania Gothic 4

Divinity 2:Ego Draconis

Demon's Souls

-JRPG:

Blue Dragon

Lost Odyssey

Enchanted Arms

Magna Carta 2

Tales of Vesperia

Eternal Sonata

Final Fantasy 13

Star Ocean The Last Hope

Infinite Undiscovery

Resonance of Fate (this one has guns)

Nier

White Knight Chronicles

-RPG shooters:

Fallout 3

Borderlands

Mass Effect 1 and 2

-3rd person shooters (with a sci-fi story):

Gears of War 1 and 2

-3D platforming/Puzzles/"Hack and slash" with fantasy elements and a story:

Vikings

Darkrisers

Kameo Elements of Power

Assassin's Creed 2

Overlord

I tried a FPS online on my PC a few years ago and played for about a month ( Half Life 2 Deathmatches). Everytime I ended up wanting to throw something at my screen. It's not fun and there's always the nerds who play 24/7 or a bunch of cheaters that will own your ass

I pretty much agree, though I never played HL2 multiplayer. I cut my teeth on Team Fortress and Counter-Strike for Half-Life 1, started out way behind the 8 ball, and never put the time into catching up. When I did play, I enjoyed being the camper who'd hide at the top of the map with the crossbow, or just jump all around the place. I had much more fun playing Unreal Tournament multiplayer, and (going back a few years) on Duke Nukem 3D and Descent in high school, before 4/20/99. Aside from two LAN parties in 2003 and 2004, all my multiplayer PC gaming ended in 2003.

Anyways since Quint accused me (again) of having "extremely limited taste", here's the list of all games I've played on my xbox 360/PS3 so far

I'm sorry KM, it was a little dig, I admit it, but you do hammer the rpg genre to death, whilst making dismissive remarks about other genres, do you not? If you're gonna dish it out...

;)

Well RPG or open world exploration games are the only games that still can inspire a sense of wonder when you get to certain parts of the story.

I got that feeling a bit last night when I had to climb all the way up to the top of a cathedral to get a piece of armor seal in Assassin's Creed 2. That was a pretty epic sequence

Demon's Souls also had that, one you get past the hump of dying a lot

I don't get that from Super Mario. I play with my nephew sometimes and after 10 minutes fuck that

Nah, I'm still awe struck by wonder in games all the time, especially when it comes to their vistas. Bulletstorm was the last game to hit me like that, of all games. I mean, who'd have thought it, right? A brainless shooter it is not.

Bulletstorm-Vista.jpg

When the other team scores four touchdowns on me in the first quarter when I try to play Madden on the non-easy setting, believe me, the sense of epic wonder is there. The wonder of "how the eff do I get out of this mess?"

Oh, I'll just throw on fourth and three.

Five touchdowns. Shit.

Bull. That's precisely what World of Warcraft is. It hits on every single point you attribute to multiplayer FPS like COD. Fallout 3 was never meant to be anything more than a single player game, like Interplay's original two Fallout games and Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise. WOW is multiplayer RPG gaming at its finest. Since it's PC only, nobody here will touch it, and since it's a game you have to subscribe to, it's a game you'll never catch me involved with.

I didn't mean to claim that Fallout should have been something more. It's my favorite game of all time. It's just I personally need variety in my gaming. KM appears to be solely fixed on RPGs, while I like to partake in racing and sports games from time to time, as well as platformers and survival horror. From what I know about WOW, it's for the seriously hardcore and addicted players. Besides, PC is not my preferred choice of gaming.

I never have my console connected to the internet except for updates. I look for single player games with complex stories and a lot of stuff to do. When I'm done with all the single player contents I move on to another title.

Why not? Ever venture into the PS Store? Download demos, try new things? Hell, we could even play Demon's Souls together. ;) You could invade my game and kick my ass, if you liked.

Nah, I'm still awe struck by wonder in games all the time, especially when it comes to their vistas. Bulletstorm was the last game to hit me like that, of all games. I mean, who'd have thought it, right? A brainless shooter it is not.

Bulletstorm-Vista.jpg

Exactly, great shooters always have beautiful environments and settings. BioShock and Uncharted are two franchises that spring to mind with superb settings. Visually stunning. I'm actually impressed by that screenshot, I know nothing about Bulletstorm.

Exactly, great shooters always have beautiful environments and settings.

Lately. That's the key word. Keep in mind that I still consider Doom to be a great shooter, one of the very best, and its graphics were beautiful and stunning until about 1996.

I won't touch BioShock with a ten foot pole. I'd rather replay Deus Ex or try to find System Shock 2. I don't think Uncharted ever came to the PC, and I'm not interested in Bulletstorm.

It would be hypocritical of me to say I have too many games, because I still buy new ones (or old ones cheaply) from time to time. Probably because free-from RPG-style FPS games like that have a lot in common with Deus Ex, for which I still never tried the sequel out in my new computer, and it gets a prequel in August. I also never played New Vegas yet even after buying it that first week, and I stopped Fallout 3 once the Enclave showed up.

I have enough games like BioShock that I didn't want to buy another I wouldn't touch for a while. Remember, I can't rent PC games, and their trade-in value is nil.

That's not to say I wouldn't buy it if I saw it for $10-$20. I just haven't. The ten foot pole was an exaggeration.

This year alone, I'm looking forward to the aforementioned Deus Ex: Human Revolutions, as well as Arkham City, Crysis 2, Skyrim, and of course, Duke Nukem Forever. Also Dead Island when it comes out, and I Am Alive, which probably gets pushed back to 2012.

I tried Bio shock and it's one of the few games I started I couldn't get into so I left it there. Dying with no penalty whatsoever kind of killed it for me

Usually I finish the titles I start

BioShock is only $15, Wojo.

KM is partly right though, there really was no penalty for dying. Just setting you back a few paces and taking away some health. I didn't realize this well into the game, actually it may have even been my second playthrough. I smacked myself in the face for unleashing all my ammo in desperate times of near death, and sucking down all my health packs. It would have been less costly if I just died.

Even BioShock 2 is less than 20$ in used games

I paid 50$ for Mass Effect 2, and by the time I played it it was 17.99$. I shouldn't buy games too much in advance if I don;t plan to play right away

Like I said, it would be a purchase to collect dust, and by the time I made time, it would be $10. Why take time away from the other games I want to play.

Prey also had no real penalty for death. It would send you to a spirit world where you had to shoot so many ghosts in 10-15 seconds, and then it would return you to the living world. I don't remember if it restored enemy health or not, or affected ammo count. It made the game a lot easier.

I'm running out of older titles in the discount bin because I bought all the ones that interested me already. Now I only have new releases to look forward to.

I usually wait for about month for the first discount of 20$ or so ( I only bought 1 game at the full price of 69$)

There are some games that you just know will go cheap fast. Big titles won't until well after the sales go down.

For instance, with Mass Effect 2, I'm not going to pay $60 for a two year old game that's only $20 on the 360. Wait 2 months, it'll be down to $20 as well. Same thing happened when BioShock made the switch.

I rent most of my games from an online company which has no late fees. I keep some games for weeks on end. I don't know why KM doesn't do the same. If a new game has the potential to be great online, I buy it. Games-wise this is gonna be a costly month for me. Already I've bought Killzone 3, then on the 25th I'll be picking up Crysis 2. The same day I pick up my iPad 2.

Ouch.

There are still quite a few games that I want to really go through and accomplish everything. Undead Nightmare is one of them, as well as all the other Red Dead add-ons. BioShock 2 I left off somewhere towards the end of my second playthrough, and I kinda want to re-buy BioShock so I can play that again. There's still one thing between me and Platinum in MW2. I have Killzone 3 to beat, LittleBigPlanet 2 to get my money's worth, as well as Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

I may cancel my Socom 4 order, and I probably won't get Crysis 2. Zipper's animation is just consistently bad. I'll wait for the beta to confirm or deny whether it's worth the money upfront.

I'm actually expecting Crysis 2 to be a barnstormer, a GotY contender. I've played it and it's extremely promising. Plus, a sale is pretty much a dead cert from me when an fps opts for a sandbox campaign design approach instead of the usual whack'a'mole shooting gallery mechanics of most other shooters.

Those were hallmarks of both of Crysis 2's predecessors, Crysis 1 and FarCry*. Wide open outdoor spaces with multiple paths to the next group of bad guys. FarCry was awesomely fun and hard, at least until it got to the linear indoor corridor sections, and added the mutants, which turned hard into impossible.

I still never put my system to the test of Crysis, but for some reason, it is never at Walmart, where it would be cheaper than BestBuy, about the only two stores that still carry newer PC games.

(* The guys who made FarCry left that company to make Crysis, its true sequel. FarCry 2 was made by the studio, but was just GTA in Africa, and was lousy.)

There was one, I guess rather "preview," on IGN. The guy who wrote the article said he played it and it looks great on the 360, and all the videos they've been showing are of the game on the 360. So he was worried about why they weren't showing it on the PS3, and when they finally did, he said it was much worse. Very choppy gameplay and overall just not as good. Don't remember the specific details.

Oh yes I know about that. I'm sure it'll be fine come retail.

Watch some campaign footage on Youtube from the leaked pc version. The single player looks amazing. I can't wait to explore the big wide open environments.

Watch some campaign footage on Youtube from the leaked pc version. The single player looks amazing. I can't wait to explore the big wide open environments.

It's sure the console versions won't look nearly as good. I think it's time for the next gen consoles to come out that can handle better textures and effects. I am getting annoyed of the increasing gap between PC and consoles.

I read somewhere that a large percentage of gamers still play their xbox360 on a standard def TV , that's why they aren't changing the consoles. Also the large number of people playing on a Wii indicates that the masses don't give a shit about high quality HD graphics

And I bought a game today (Two Worlds 2). Again I had to pick the xbox360 version over the PS3 because of comparison screen shots I've seen online. PS3 always seem to have more blurry textures

Whilst I too would like the next gen to arrive sooner rather than later, there's still some visually stunning titles coming out this gen which are very impressive indeed. I'm part way through Killzone 3 - THE most incredible looking game I've ever laid eyes on. Before that, Bulletstorm, before that, Red Dead Redemption, before that, Uncharted 2 (the sequel of which will no doubt look even more amazing).

As for Crysis 2, on YouTube there is HD footage of the pc game running on on Xbox 360 settings (it's possible by way of a command input). The game looks phenomenally good on the eye, thanks to the cutting edge CryEngine.

KM, rpg games are not the titles which have vast amounts of resources poured into their graphics engines. Cutting edge graphics engines will never be found in Japanese role playing games. Due to the rpg genre's inherently broad size and hefty content, the visuals are never going to be as good as you would like them to be, this gen. Just look at the brand new Dragon Age II: it looks pretty bland and tired, visually speaking. The graphics of recent action adventures and shooters absolutely blow it away and that's because their scope is far narrower than an rpg game and so the resources are available to the developer to make their game look as spectacular as the machine allows.

Games still look great this gen, depending on the genre you play and developer who made the game. I'd say the last nice looking rpg this gen has to look forward to will be Oblivion 2. But I bet that will still have it's fair share of jagged edges. But who really cares? Role playing games aren't about the graphics; they're brimming with plenty of other riches and display imagination and splendour in other, unique ways.