What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

All my consoles cost combined is much less than a gaming PC, which would be outdated or broken by now anyways

Right now I have PS4,Wii,Ps3 and xbox360 plugged in my TV

For a monthly fee, you can actually access a growing library of PS3 titles on PS4 using the PlayStation Now streaming service. I played a fair bit of Red Faction Guerrilla during my free trial, and I was pleasantly surprised by how playable (and enjoyable) it was.

The service will soon be coming to smart TVs and won't require a PlayStation console.

For a monthly fee, you can actually access a growing library of PS3 titles on PS4 using the PlayStation Now streaming service. I played a fair bit of Red Faction Guerrilla during my free trial, and I was pleasantly surprised by how playable (and enjoyable) it was.

The service will soon be coming to smart TVs and won't require a PlayStation console.

This. Sony spent something like $400 million on the PS Now service. They're not gonna abandon it for backwards compatibility. The PS3s cell architecture doesn't make it any easier, either.

Anyway, backwards compatibility is only a selling point for mothers buying consoles for their kids. I reckon no more than 2% of gamers would actually use the feature.

Anyway, backwards compatibility is only a selling point for mothers buying consoles for their kids. I reckon no more than 2% of gamers would actually use the feature.

I'd love it if my PS4 was backwards compatible. I could play my old PS3 games (on disc and on HD) without needing extra controllers, extra cables, extra inputs and extra space for the PS3.

Really, backwards compatibility is a new concept, and any extent has spoiled you console people. It never existed with cartridge games. It's only because optical discs haven't changed shape for thirty years that we believe consoles should embrace backwards compatibility.

My PS3 is sat on top of my PS4 in use as a DVD player, after it turning out that the PS4 (bafflingly) needs to have something activated via an internet connection (something it isn't practical for me to do) to be used as a DVD player.

This. Sony spent something like $400 million on the PS Now service. They're not gonna abandon it for backwards compatibility. The PS3s cell architecture doesn't make it any easier, either.

I actually used the backwards compatibility on my PS3 more than anything else. I had maybe a dozen games for it (tops) but I loved throwing my PS1 games into it for a playthrough.

Truth be told, the reason the PS4 doesn't have it is the most obvious reason: they want you to have to buy those games all over again. Which I won't, because I kept all of mine from the PS1 era and on. Its a bit of a pain to have to unplug the composite cables every time I want to play something different but, eh, first world problems.

My PS3 is sat on top of my PS4 in use as a DVD player, after it turning out that the PS4 (bafflingly) needs to have something activated via an internet connection (something it isn't practical for me to do) to be used as a DVD player.

I still don't understand how you can go without connecting it at all. Unpatched games can have game breaking bugs (The Witcher 3 for example)

Haven't gotten it yet but I'll probably have to since my usual crew is focused on that now and I don't want to be bored until they swing back to Destiny. It's not like the last installment felt very Haloish anyway. I wonder if this one feels off too.

About 3 quarters into Halo 5's campaign and I don't like the direction that 343 are taking the story into... at all. Halo 4 had me scratching my head at times, this one feels even worse.

All the different plot-lines barely hang together, they new team don't seem to have the same feel for storytelling as Bungie has.

As the campaign progresses I'm just going through the levels to get it over with, I have a hard time getting invested in the story of Locke and Fireteam Osiris, which takes half of the game.

Chief and Cortana, luckily there's some good moments there. But dammit I wanted the dude and the chick in the entire game.

Easily the worst told campaign of the entire series. Graphics are neat, world building is fantastic but it all feels so lifeless and lacking in that magic that made each Bungie episode so special.

A bit of a letdown this. :(

Don't know if I'll try out the multi-player, seeing I'm not into Halo for that.

I still don't understand how you can go without connecting it at all. Unpatched games can have game breaking bugs (The Witcher 3 for example)

No problems so far, long may it continue!

Well that's easy, all the Bungie ones are great IMO.

It'd be hard to rank em. Halo 3's campaign remains my favorite though.

Okay let me give a go:

3, 1, Reach, ODST, 2, 4, 5

I should state I thoroughly enjoyed Halo 4, but it was already shifting away from the genius of the Bungie titles (story-wise).

I've played the first two missions of Halo and I'm undecided so far. The Chief versus Covenant parts are fucking unreal as far as the famous Halo shooting mechanics go, but the Prometheuns are still annoying enemies and not fun to fight. Graphics are hit and miss but when they're good they're next gen good. Other times the hardware limitations show (GET FUCKED MS). Still early days so I'll not say more about single player yet.

Multiplayer was somewhat underwhelming late last night, but Halo traditionally has a steep learning curve so I'll factor that in before I start analysis proper. Again the visuals are hit and miss.

I do miss Bungie's Halo, I miss their sure and arrogant hand in Halo multiplayer more than anything else in games.

My gamertag: IIII QUINT IIII

I just checked out The Witcher 3. I wouldn't call it exactly "perfect" but the world is ginormous in this. I'm enjoying it quite a bit and it reminds me of all the books which it is based on. Feels very familiar and home-like.

Karol

I've played the first two missions of Halo and I'm undecided so far. The Chief versus Covenant parts are fucking unreal as far as the famous Halo shooting mechanics go, but the Prometheuns are still annoying enemies and not fun to fight. Graphics are hit and miss but when they're good they're next gen good. Other times the hardware limitations show (GET FUCKED MS). Still early days so I'll not say more about single player yet.

Multiplayer was somewhat underwhelming late last night, but Halo traditionally has a steep learning curve so I'll factor that in before I start analysis proper. Again the visuals are hit and miss.

I do miss Bungie's Halo, I miss their sure and arrogant hand in Halo multiplayer more than anything else in games.

My gamertag: IIII QUINT IIII

Yeah, the prometheans, not much fun with their constant teleporting and whatnot. At least the covenant didn't rely on cheap tricks, they were tough as nails because their A.I. routines were so advanced.

You know what I miss even more, the revolutionary physics engine from the very first Halo.

The most important question about multiplayer is if the potential is still there for ridiculous hijinks and hilarious deaths. If Halo multiplayer doesn't occasionally make me burst out laughing, it ain't Halo multiplayer.

Why?

Because of how awesome a feature it was in those days, and still is. Sometimes greatness lurks in the details, and the physics of those early Halos, along with the A.I. contain some of my fondest memories.

Check out the vid, enough said.

I'm pretty sure the physics engine is present and correct in this iteration of Halo. The only difference is they added destructibility to vehicles, way back in Halo 2. So rather than nade bounce unrealistically they tend to explode instead.

The most important question about multiplayer is if the potential is still there for ridiculous hijinks and hilarious deaths. If Halo multiplayer doesn't occasionally make me burst out laughing, it ain't Halo multiplayer.

The multiplayer in Halo 5 is no Halo I recognise.

And the graphics are SHIT in multiplayer. Or at least in the tiny selection of Slayer maps they are.

*buyers remorse*

I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about Fallout 4's graphics (some going as far as preemptively saying that it'll be the ugliest game of 2015) but I really like it. It's a bit "waxy" but I'm fine with it as it looks like a largely stylistic choice. Despite never really getting into the previous Fallout games, I'm really getting excited about this.

Played some other gametypes and began to click with it a bit. Went on a big killing spree in my last match before bed which ended with a killtacular. Strangely, the visuals on those other maps were far more attractive. I don't get 343i at all.

Hope was kindled somewhat.