What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Going through the Halo 5 campaign again, and it's a lot more engaging this time, after my initial disappointment. Halo 5's becoming sort of alright fast.

Visually it certainly is spectacular. And I'm now getting more into its storyline, which I must admit on my first playthrough flew over my head.

Confession: this was the first Halo game I ever played on the easiest setting. It becomes so easy it's boring.

Also on the Xbox One I'm currently on The Walking Dead season 1 (which is free with Games with Gold until 15 november).

I'm impressed by the rich storytelling and choice- and adventure-based gameplay.

It makes for a much more laid-back experience, but all hell can break loose in a micro-second, just like it does in the TV series.

There are some characters to root for and others not, but it's not all black or white. I'm sure the characters will develop into something more complex with each episode / season.

I finished it last night, on the usual 'Heroic' setting (one up from 'Normal' and always been the recommended difficulty). It's a really fun and beautifully polished experience - especially in the era of turgidly dull FPS single player campaigns (who else remembers when single player in first person shooter titles was the main event and was generally brilliant?). The only thing that really brought it down was the painfully esoteric story, which amounted to nothing as far as the two leads were concerned, right as the plot disappeared up its own arse.

But the combat itself, the mechanics of it, is utterly sublime and still very much Halo. And that was crucial, because it carries the entire experience with refreshing aplomb. I'd give the story mode 7 out of 10.

Hey have you never had a change of opinion on something?

I was critiquing the campaign's story, which I admitted in that post above went completely over my head. I have a hard time sometimes following the story when I have to run and gun at the same time.

Quintus knows that when the action ramps up in Halo, there's hardly a moment's peace. And during the combat-free moments I was a bit lost anyway so it all became a blur.

Now I'm going through it the second time, I know what to expect action wise and can focus on the story more.

I agree Heroic is the most fun difficulty of all 4 in a Halo title. Legendary can be more work than play.

The easy setting was just to experience it once I guess... (not to be repeated) :)

See that non-stop action is what bothered me about 4. Where were the classic Halo chances to wander around a bit, get lost in the strange and beautiful scenery, think about the rich lore behind the game? All things that I've come to love about Destiny. Bungie kept all the folks who valued that part of video games? And the music... I doubt that feels right either.

I'm still excited to play it though to see if I'm wrong.

I had the same problem with the Bioshock games, they tend to tell the story while putting the player in harms' way more often than not.

While an awesome experience the first time around, the plot became hard too follow after a while.

Especially Infinite had me scratching my head multiple times (even during playthrough number two). But that's probably due to the complexity of the story itself.

There are parts of wonderment and strolling downtime in Halo 5, but the oft lonely mystery of Bungie's Halo is gone now that the banter of your AI companions is never too far away. It's not too harmful overall, though. Visually, the game is absolutely spectacular once you start planet hopping; and it gives me hope that the Xbox One hardware will be okay for the job - as far as exclusives go.

Let's just say that it's a problem for me with lots of visually rich and action heavy games, I can only focus my attention on so much any given time.

About Halo 5, what I also miss in these latest installments... there's no sense of danger or creepiness in any of the levels. The Prometheans are a poor substitute for the Flood or the Brutes. Sure they can be challenging but the Flood, man they were everywhere and downright intense to fight, especially when they started ganging up on me. I miss that tension to be honest.

I'm interested to see how the Steam Link works when it arrives in two weeks.

Steam Link is unplayable if you only have wireless Internet. (Or if I must have slower than normal wireless Internet, even though I can download anything while watching Netflix.) But the lag and frame rate make any game that needs specific reflex times annoyingly difficult. Even lowering the graphics to the lowest setting on a game like Skyrim didn't help the speed, and it seemed to annoy my video card more.

But if you can make the connection wired, it becomes very cool. I ran a 50 ft CAT5 ethernet cable from my desktop in the bedroom out to the Steam Link in the living room. The small Steam Link did the crossover switcheroo it needed, and the speed and graphics quality became the same as sitting at the desk.

OK, so why is this useful? Basically I can now control my desktop PC from any television in the house so long as I can get a wired network connection. I don't need to run wireless keyboard, mouse, and gamepad signals back to the desktop. Those all plug into the Steam Link itself, which is barely the size of an iPod Classic. It has three USB 2 ports, HDMI, power, and ethernet. So it detects the network, finds a computer running Steam.... But then that's where you can stop running Steam. Hitting Control Escape takes you to the desktop. Moving the mouse off the edge of the TV switches to your adjacent monitors. Steam Link. I can run any program, play any game, even if it's GOG or older than Steam, browse the Web, do homework, sort music, run CAD, or anything else from the comfort of my sofa while only running one ethernet cable back to the bedroom.

This is useful for two reasons. My laptop is too slow and prone to overheat to be a good Steam streaming box itself, or for doing useful work over the network. And 2, I discovered my fiancé actually could be interested in watching me play video games on the big TV, rather than hidden in the bedroom. I tried to clear out a dungeon in Skyrim for an hour before going to bed at 2 am. Remember I'm the guy who hasn't gamed much in a year, so I may have found my cure.

For $50, the Steam Link might fill a niche for folks who don't want to build a second game rig or move their primary into the living room just for a quick gaming session.

I've ordered one of the Alienware Steam Machines. My desktop system from 2009 is still perfectly fine for working, but it's having trouble with all the Kickstarter games I backed - even if they perform acceptably, there's a problem with my passively cooled nVidia card overheating quickly and crashing the whole system. The few video cards still available for my old mainboard are actually slower than the one I have, so upgrading would require replacing pretty much everything. Since I'm very interested in SteamOS anyway and don't yet have a gaming PC hooked up to my TV, a Steam Machine was the most interesting option.

One of the games that has been occupying me the last few months, but never posted about, is Final Fantasy XIII. I'm currently grinding it, doing all of the Cie'th battles on Gran Pulse, and some of them are extremely challenging. I never did this on my first playthrough, but now I'm going for the full 100%, 5 stars on every battle award. Slowly getting there... Repetitive it may well be, but it surprises me I'm actually having fun with it on my second run.

Also, I began playing Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain... that introduction, cleverly disguised as a tutorial mission... WOW ! If this is a sign of things to come, it surely must be one of the most spectacular video games ever made. Kojima is a frickin' genius.

You did all the riddler trophies?? I envy you. I really loved Batman in the 40 or so hours I initially put into it. At this point I'm waiting for all the DLC to come out before I dive back in.

It's really one of the fun parts of these Batman games actually. It's fun to get stuck on something, look everywhere for about 5-10 minutes, see the light and solve the puzzle. But only if one has oceans of free time, like I have.

But it's true that the Rocksteady team have some fiendishly good riddle designers in their ranks.

Actually, I'll say Divinity Original Sin is the best RPG I've played in a long time. It's one of those games you can't put down. I play until my PS 4 controller runs out of power.

Dude, you just quoted a line from my favorite film, you have just earned yourself some bonus points, and one Continue.

My country is messed up alright, but there are worse countries to be a citizen of.

And K3? Well, let me just say I'll miss the old girls, and I have no interest in following the careers of these barely legals.

Click bait article just like everything else these days. The games were ported over to PS4. These people weren't inserting PS2 discs into the PS4, hence the console is not backwards compatible. The PS3 had an emulation for memory cards as well for their PSone and PS2 Classics.

According to one article I've read, they're actually not ported but emulated. You just don't get the emulator on its own - the games come bundled with it and you can't use the emulator for anything else, at least so far.

Can't verify if that's true of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really, I just decided I don't like the direction 343i have taken Halo multiplayer and I didn't much enjoy playing online alone - my friends all own PS4s this generation, and I was missing the party banter. I'll be back on Destiny with them after I've played some other titles.

Oh and I got a tangible taste of how woefully underpowered the Microsoft system is, which was more off-putting than I hoped it wouldn't be. It made me realise just how much they blew it, and that they must know now that Sony's lead on them is unassailable.

In the end I'm out of pocket about £60, but I'll put down to experience.