What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I only played the first and thought the controls and movement were sluggish, I didn't feel those problems were present in Tomb Raider. 

Even Lara's constant "Saaaaaaam!"s in Tomb Raider were more bearable than the characters one Uncharted which I found extremely annoying.  

11 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm looking forward to checking out the revival. The last time I played a tomb raider game was the original ones on the PC in college

The new ones are nothing like the Core originals whatsoever, they feel like an entirely different franchise. They basically lifted everything from Uncharted but forgot the charm. Because everything is deeply earnest and grim in modern Tomb Raider. That gets boring to me. 

On 1/23/2017 at 4:26 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I only played the first and thought the controls and movement were sluggish, I didn't feel those problems were present in Tomb Raider. 

Even Lara's constant "Saaaaaaam!"s in Tomb Raider were more bearable than the characters one Uncharted which I found extremely annoying.  

You're comparing a game from 2007 to one from 2013. Naughty Dog released 3 more games in that timeframe, which Tomb Raider wouldn't exist without. As for annoying characters, don't know what to say other than you find personalities annoying? There is little to no character development or narrative finesse in Crystal Dynamic's story. As Quint said, it's a serious take on Uncharted's pulp adventure formula with nearly identical gameplay. This coming from someone who greatly enjoys the reboot franchise. I played TR twice, once on PS3 and again with the definitive version on PS4. Even put a good amount of time into the tacked on multiplayer. I started Rise Of The Tomb Raider last night and it's literally Uncharted 2 (Russian bad guy seeking tree of life and all), but still well polished and fun. I hope more developers steal from Naughty Dog cause they're the best in the business. Looks like Sony's own Days Gone and God Of War are following suit.

Finished Dragon Quest Builders. I like that I got to try a building game but I don't think I'd like one without a story.

A bit cheap final boss fight where all your items and inventory are removed...not a fan of those

Far Cry Primal is fun. I like it better so far than the previous ones. There's more emphasis on melee weapons and taming animals is cool. I tamed a saber tooth tiger and it kills everything for me. I used the bow a lot in Far Cry 4 so it's not a bother to me to use it in this game

But I have to put it aside once more since I managed to borrow a copy of World of Final Fantasy from the library

I'm waiting for that to be under ten pounds. 

Finished Titanfall 2. Quite a fresh feeling campaign for a shooter; the fact that I finished it at all says a lot for my enjoyment of its ace design. 99.9% of FPS campaigns I try these days absolutely bore me to tears (I think single player components of FPS games are soon to be a thing of the past). The last two missions in particular are thrilling! Now I've jumped into multiplayer and it's exactly what I felt like. 

On 1/29/2017 at 3:11 AM, Quintus said:

I think single player components of FPS games are soon to be a thing of the past

:lol: Good one, Quint!

We'll see. In five years time, the first person genre will be split in half: single player only campaign experiences (rare beasts), and the more standardised mainstream annual multiplayer release. 

You obviously don't follow the industry like I do. The latest Call of Duty is the poorest performing in the series since the franchise became a mainstream phenomenon, with sales down 50% on the previous entity (BO3). Its expensive solo campaign didn't help it to sell more copies.

As far as I remember, some Pokémon game was the biggest seller of 2016; not CoD. I hear the solo campaign of Infinity Warfare was extremely divisive. It's the first one in ages I may play eventually though, because I like the setting (which "millions" supposedly hated), but if I do it'll be the first CoD campaign I'll bother to finish since Black Ops 1, because generally Call of Duty solo components are an unenjoyable slog for me, like washing digital dishes or something. I don't see how Activision can breathe much new life into their formula going forward.

12 hours ago, petaQ said:

I wish I had time to play Doom 4.

It's actually a great dip in dip out kind of game. It's about 10 hours long, which is fairly big for a solo shooter these days. It's long enough; I'm having a break from it because it was becoming repetitive and I've lost interest in progressing in it for the time being. It'll be dead easy to get back into when I do though.

Quintus -  gradually losing all interest in the single player action FPS genre. Waiting for The Turing Test to be on sale.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

As far as I remember, some Pokémon game was the biggest seller of 2016; not CoD. I hear the solo campaign of Infinity Warfare was extremely divisive. It's the first one in ages I may play eventually though, because I like the setting (which "millions" supposedly hated), but if I do it'll be the first CoD campaign I'll bother to finish since Black Ops 1, because generally Call of Duty solo components are an unenjoyable slog for me, like washing digital dishes or something. I don't see how Activision can breathe much new life into their formula going forward.

It's actually a great dip in dip out kind of game. It's about 10 hours long, which is fairly big for a solo shooter these days. It's long enough; I'm having a break from it because it was becoming repetitive and I've lost interest in progressing in it for the time being. It'll be dead easy to get back into when I do though.

Quintus -  gradually losing all interest in the single player action FPS genre. Waiting for The Turing Test to be on sale.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/2016s-best-selling-games-in-the-us-revealed/1100-6447090/

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What is it with Americans and their obsession with domestic figures? 

Also, this contradicts that piece: http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2016/USA/

It's interesting to click the different regions and see what's more popular in the USA vs Japan vs Europe, etc.  FIFA rules Europe, Japan loves their RPGs!

19 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What is it with Americans and their obsession with domestic figures? 

Also, this contradicts that piece: http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2016/USA/

Where do they get their stats from? NPD is considered the standard from what I've read. Might also depend what they include. For instance the exclusion of digital sales, etc. 

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Where do they get their stats from? NPD is considered the standard from what I've read. Might also depend what they include. For instance the exclusion of digital sales, etc. 

Alternative facts?

I can't get past the extremely crude visuals of Elder Scrolls Online enough to want to give it a go. That, and the endless fetch quests which I've been told make up a great deal of its gameplay. 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh my bad, I thought it was something new but I see now its been out since 2014.  Nevermind

No, it's a new game coming out this Summer. 

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

I can't get past the extremely crude visuals of Elder Scrolls Online enough to want to give it a go. That, and the endless fetch quests which I've been told make up a great deal of its gameplay. 

I bought it for $20 awhile back to give it a try and everything about it is fairly crude. Definitely not worth it. 

On 31/01/2017 at 5:53 PM, Stefancos said:

We like our football and the Japanese are secret perverts!

Dunno about secret ... isn't it Japan that has the vending machines that sell underwear that schoolgirls have worn? 

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No, it's a new game coming out this Summer. 

I bought it for $20 awhile back to give it a try and everything about it is fairly crude. Definitely not worth it. 

Is a new game the same as an expansion? 

34 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Since when do expansions have their own standalone retail box and cost $60 and have $100 collector's editions?

Maybe Bethesda believes it's kind of a big deal to celebrate taking players back to the legendary and oft-requested  island of Vvardenfell. 

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14452658/elder-scrolls-online-morrowind-expansion-release-date-price

It's an expansion. If you own the original game, it's only $40. If you buy it bundled with the original game, it's $60. So it won't work without the base game. $100 gets you a box and statue of a Dwemer automaton. 

Actually sounds interesting, making the long walk from Seyda Neen to Balmorra again. But I won't pay a subscription for a game I'd play irregularly. 

1 minute ago, petaQ said:

Actually sounds interesting, making the long walk from Seyda Neen to Balmorra again. But I won't pay a subscription for a game I'd play irregularly. 

Now there are some fucking memories.  I want the real thing though.