What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

31 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I like the guy who scored FF XIII and World of Final Fantasy

I liked what I've heard of him, he also did that Dirge of Cerberus game that everyone hates. I remember watching one of my roommates at the time play it, and thinking the music was pretty cool. 

Oh snap, WayForward is making a new River City game!

Coming out in a couple of weeks! The original is one of the best games on the NES, and an absolutely great co-op game. Given that it's Wayforward and the music being as goofy as it is, almost guaranteed Jake Kaufman is on music duty.

As someone who for years lamented the dearth of so-called "couch" multiplayer games, I'm really happy with the renaissance they've been getting, in no small part due to the Switch. 

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Wasn't that the whole point of the game and how it was marketed for years leading up to its release? To break up the mundane "exoticism" of the series' previous Super Fantasy setting? 

No,l think this Final Fantasy  looks like a Far Cry game. Yesterday there was a cool story dungeon that looked like an actual fantasy dungeon with undead monsters, but then I get out and it looks like modern day Texas again

Open world games in true Fantasy settings are rare and they should make more .There was Kingdom  of Amalur,Two Worlds, Elex ,Dragons Dogma and maybe a few other ones. Even Witcher 3 and Skyrim didn't look too much fantasy like with endless forests that look like northern europe

no game yet has the ambition of what I imagine .Something with the visual design and locales of Dark Souls in a true Open world

The attention to detail in Red Dead Redemption 2 is amazing. If I had never have bothered to go inside the theatre in St Denis I would never have known this even existed in the game:

There were three acts and I happily sat and watched them all.

episode 1 slow clap GIF by One Chicago

Yeah I stumbled upon that on a side mission. How are you liking the music? I think it’s the best open world score in games. The way it’s implemented and adapts to the gameplay is unreal. I found a game rip online that’s 63 hours long!

As pure ambience I think the music is throughly effective and I notice and enjoy it a lot. But I am also very disappointed that there is next to nil musical arc or connective tissue, so to speak, between one cue and the next. It's just isolated tracks, applied to whatever is happening on screen.

I'd have been much more impressed if the score to this game had told a really strong musical story. But it's little more than track numbers applied to various scenes. 

Nearing the end of Final Fantasy XV

Not feeling this game too much. :Like I said the open world looks mundane and you can't enter buildings, climb things, swim  or jump over obstacles and there's  invisible walls everywhere.  The sidequests are fetch quests in the purest sense of the word without mini stories.. The combat system is weird and I still haven't mastered it other than I'm over-levelled and can smash through difficult enemies. Weird control schemes like inverting the dodge and attack buttons from conventional position doesn't help.  There almost no lore or codex to read like Final Fantasy XIII .No crafting system for weapons other than a few (useless ones) you can upgrade via sidequests. The magic system is bad and I never used it (only 3 basic spells and variations of them and you need to re- craft spells with ressouces when you run  out after 3 uses) .The main quest takes about one night to complete and you don't feel like you've been on an epic journey. I just did one of the last chapters and spent 3 hours without my party in a long linear and boring dungeon and that was the longest story part of the game. Some chapters take 5 minutes to complete.  Most of my time in the game feels like I was doing the fetch quests without any story.The main  characters are also generally boring and there's no women in your party.

i think I'm at the final boss and still need to do the DLC's

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up the DLC's for FF XV and I'll be done with that game

FF XIV looks much more like the type of Final Fantasy I'd like. I really feel like playing it but it's an online MMO with monthly subscription and that kind of turns me off

Finished the main campaign in Red Dead Redemption II. I reckon around 80hrs worth so far at a guess, with probably nigh on endless playability left to delve into (that's without even setting foot into the online component). This is a massive world and it's an epic storyline they have woven into it, if ultimately not as satisfying by the end of its arc as the first game was. Even that disappointment was rebalanced a little though by what happens after completion: the already enormous map opens up... to reveal the entire explorable area found in the original game, all of it given the fully remastered treatment in this mind bogglingy beautiful visual engine. It feels like an extraordinary reward for committing to finishing the long and winding road of the story that lead up to it. 

Needless to say I've utterly loved my time in this world though, it's a remarkable achievement in the increasingly ambitious craft of video game development. 

Probably one of the slowest, most methodical gameplay experience out there, RDRII is a sprawling adventure in no hurry, one that places powerful emphasis on the calmness of its living tundra and emerging society, brimming with personality and character. The world feels alive, and its a joy for older grizzled gamers like myself to be able to inhabit it. There are little player made stories abound in a sandbox packed with detail, and I think one could take as short or as long as you wanted to see or find everything. 

I was almost a year late getting to this game, but I remember noticing unexpectedly controversial reactions in the online forums to the game, a decidely mixed response to the end result (this game took six years to build); players were either enamoured with it or bored to death by it all. "It's too slow!" "It's boring to play!"; "it's amazing!" "it's stunning!" were the split reactions I kept seeing all the time. This did concern me, and I was persuaded to hold out longer than normal before buying it myself. Wait for the patches, is always my approach. But I needn't have worried, because to me this game, actually playing it, practically felt tailor made to my offline gaming preferences.

Those complaints about it though, well it does make me wonder if video game media too has eventually become susceptible to the same expectations which modern movie blockbusters have been accommodating for a while now - that younger audiences demand their entertainments to be faster, louder and constantly more exciting. It's as if the grumbles of dissent in regards to the deliberate placidity of the gameplay were coming from more tenderfoot gamers who possibly missed the first game, and never knew what to expect from its follow up. I mean, this is a western

So with that in mind, and in a counter to that breed of mindset, I'd say that if ever there was an argument to be made for gaming as relaxation therapy, Red Dead Redemption II is it. 

xIt8AOa.jpg

well there was one secret dungeon in FF XV that was one of the hardest thing I've ever done  in gaming. I've never experienced a maze like this in a videogame before. Plus the platforming was super hard as  the slightest twitch or misalignment from  the controller will make you fall off the ledges you have to climb. It took me about 12 hours...I thought it was never going to end and I used a guide sometimes. Almost like they put more effort into this than the main game

but it may have been the poor jumping controls that made it hard (like the character randomly rolling forward after you jump and falling off the platforms

Well it happened again.  On my flights to and from Vegas last week, I pulled out my Switch and looked at all my options - should I start Mario + Rabbids?  Shantae?  Boxboy? Finish up the Mario Maker 2 levels I hadn't beaten yet??   

With all those options... I still chose to return to HOLLOW KNIGHT.

I beat three Grimm thingies and got my Grimmchild upgraded, and found the Grimm lord dude hanging upside and fought his Nightmare version, which was brutal (I died quickly and didn't attempt a second time).  I freed another grub.  I attempted to be the SOul Tyrant many, many times, and ultimately failed, but came really close once (got to his third phase).  I looked for the White Defender but couldn't find him.  I looked for the Lost Kin but went to the wrong place.  I looked for Nym but coulnd't find him.  Still loved it all :)

On 9/15/2019 at 3:27 AM, King Mark said:

Started OUTWARD .Seems like exactly my kind of game

The graphics and overall aesthetics don't look too bad! I'm struggling with what to invest time in these days.

Recently finished Man of Medan, the sequel to the anthology series that began with Until Dawn back in 2015. It's an experience that is better had with multiple players instead of the single player option I went through. The entire mystery is solved too early on in the game - which is fine when the threat becomes more real once you know what you're dealing with, but because it's a cinematic game, the entire survival horror aspect is thrown out half-way through and doesn't go anywhere. The characters are paper thin, the horror is cheap, it doesn't feel like the full experience Until Dawn was, where the mystery is slowly revealed in turn making the horror more juicy.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, Jay said:

Well it happened again.  On my flights to and from Vegas last week, I pulled out my Switch and looked at all my options - should I start Mario + Rabbids?  Shantae?  Boxboy? Finish up the Mario Maker 2 levels I hadn't beaten yet??   

With all those options... I still chose to return to HOLLOW KNIGHT.

I adore Shantae and even I say you made a fine choice. 

Hopefully I can find time tonight play long to beat a dream boss and get enough essence to finally go to the white palace!

How far are you in the game, Kasey?  You haven't posted any updates in ages

Been taking a break from gaming after a long Crash Team Racing kick with lil bro, but will return to it soon enough! My playthrough's pretty much "Uhh, did me and Grimmchild do something important? I can't tell, who cares, let's keep exploring and see what we come across, significant or otherwise!", not aiming for any particular points. I recall three big symbols on the map and had a little spiritual moment when I reached one of those points with some ghostly dude. I also recall discovering the coliseum, but high-tailed it having read what a brutal place it is. Will take my grimm son there later when I'm feeling masochistic. 

Combat in general has been much less overwhelming since I got Grimmchild upgraded. Those little extra hits he gets in really help out a lot for me! There are times where I can just hang back in the corner and let him slowly whittle down an enemy, especially with these really annoying deadly enemies that were near the coliseum area. That can probably be considered cheating, but it sure is a relief to be able to rely on him when I'm on low health and just need to get to a bench before I perish!

Yea I like all the little helpers, though in some bosses they hurt more than they help, since some of them respond to attacks in certain ways and you want to be in control of that

22 hours ago, Arpy said:

The graphics and overall aesthetics don't look too bad! I'm struggling with what to invest time in these days.

yes .I like the look of Outward a lot. Reviews said the graphics are crap but a patch included better textures so it looks fine.

it's a hard game in the beginning. No fast travel , no minimap and the world map doesn't show you where you are, so you can only orient yourself by your compass and landmarks. If you forget something in a town , you have to walk back 15 minutes. and there's a lot of things you can forget. it's a bit like Kingdom Come deliverance where food spoils, you can get sick...

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh, I didn't realize Until Dawn had gotten a sequel.  TIL

Man Of Medan is not a sequel to Until Dawn. It’s simply the same developer making a very similar game. Supermassive made two PS VR games that were set in the Until Dawn universe: Rush Of Blood and The Inpatient. 

I also read it's partly due to Sony owning the rights to Until Dawn. I could see them retroactively making Until Dawn a part of the anthology in the future.

Put a couple of hours into Darksiders 3. It doesn't seem as bad as they said it was (although I noticed there's plenty who actually rate it highly), and unless I'm suddenly distracted I might accidentally end up playing it all. 

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

I also read it's partly due to Sony owning the rights to Until Dawn. I could see them retroactively making Until Dawn a part of the anthology in the future.

As you said, Sony owns the IP, so that’s not going to happen. 

Played through Silent Hill 4 for the second time, after playing it with my last girlfriend two years ago and thinking it was dumb. I was so disappointed because I knew its reputation and wanted to be able to say "People didn't get it!", only to find myself agree with the consensus. Playing it now, alone, is probably the sharpest turn I've ever had on my opinion of a video game. Holy crap, I'm talkin' like half a circle, it's great. Probably the most shiver-inducing game I've ever played. Lots of great subtext and themes that are presented not by dialogue but by gameplay, such as voyuerism and the difference between being alone and being lonely.

If I had to rank my favorite original Silent Hill games it'd be

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill 4

Silent Hill

(Though Shattered Memories gets an honorable mention, and it's one of the best games on the Wii.) 

Now playing We Love Katamari. The first one is one of my favorites, and this one is very much a sequel to it. Great goofy-ass humor and sight gags that just catch you off-guard ex: one level has you rolling a ball of fire and collecting enough material for it to burn larger and ultimately light a campfire. You're rolling it around and suddenly you find yourself rolling over fire extinguishers as tinder for the flame!

@Quintus I feel like I ask this of you every few  months, but you play any good single player first person shooters lately? I know you went through that Metro game a bit ago, which looks cool, but I was curious if there were any others you've played. I've been craving a good shooter for a long time.

Doom was good but repetitive. The new Wolfenstein is supposed to be absolutely terrible from what I heard at least (it looks it). I suppose I'm quite boring in that I only really play looter shooters these days where the FPS genre is concerned. I recently finished Borderlands 2 (five years after everyone else) and I'm gearing up to break my long Destiny hiatus soon when the big Shadowkeep expansion launches in October. That game is also going free to play at the same time - for anyone curious about the whole Destiny phenomenon but didn't want to take a fiscal punt on it. 

Seems like the FPS genre is dominated by what Quintus brings up, loot-based online games like Destiny.  If you're talking single-player focused story games, then Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus seems more like what you're thinking.

Yea I was surprised by the talk of Wolfenstein on nintendo podcasts, and how heavily story-oriented they said it was.  The old Wolfensteins had barely any plot at all!

49 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I haven't played a new shooter since Bioshock Infinite, and I want to know what the genre has to say these days.

Seems like a no brainer to me 👍

44 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah. :(

There's a massive, MASSIVE amount of game content available in Destiny 2 these days, accessible completely solo and without any headset comms whatsoever. All free next month. 

Say what you like about the looter shooter genre, but Destiny's actual shooting mechanics are best in class. This is well known. That's why I keep coming back whenever they add new stuff to do, more aliens to shoot in the face in the most crispiest way imaginable. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Seems like a no brainer to me 👍

Totally forgot about that one!

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Say what you like about the looter shooter genre, but Destiny's actual shooting mechanics are best in class. This is well known. That's why I keep coming back whenever they add new stuff to do, more aliens to shoot in the face in the most crispiest way imaginable. 

Honestly I think Destiny looks hella fun, I just get scared about ongoing time commitments that come from a theoretically infinite experience that online game like it offers. I want something more self-contained.

The new Wolfenstein games are great, Doom as well.

Battlefield One and V have decent and brief single player components that you can find for cheap. If you want something newer, the Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare reboot coming out next month is shaping up to be fantastic. 

If you want something more steampunk like BioShock, I would suggest the Dishonored games. 

Yeah definitely the Dishonest games, if narrative depth and invention is your thing. You can't really go wrong with Prey though, especially if you're looking for Bioshock feelz.

As for the Destiny addiction that was mentioned, it's a very real thing for a lot of people, but I only play the aspects of the game which I'm personally interested in. I don't need to collect everything and do everything in these sorts of games, but I gather this isn't the norm for seemingly a lot of players, and they eventually treat the things like a second job. Yikes! But I dunno, just disengage and play something else if you feel like you're on the hamster wheel.

I look at it differently anyway: I like that there's always something to do, and that I can invest as little or as much as I want to in these sort of persistent world experiences. I think a game becoming a person's only game isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it feels like a positive investment and an enjoyable time.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

the Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare reboot coming out next month is shaping up to be fantastic. 

Huh, I thought it was just a remake or remaster(did they do one a couple years ago or something?). Just looked this up, it sounds really cool! I love the idea of ambiguous targets; one of my favorite elements in Human Revolution was when a dude would hold someone hostage and you would either have to talk him down or distract him enough to pop him, depending on how you liked to play. First Call of Duty game on my radar in almost 15 years, thanks for pointing it out!

On the subject of Human Revolution, I _did_ play its sequel, so I guess that's the most recent FPS I've played...but it sucked.

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

If you want something more steampunk like BioShock, I would suggest the Dishonored games. 

I played the first one and liked it well enough. I think a lot of "steampunk" things take it _way_ too far being into their own aesthetic, but maybe that's the appeal for people. It just comes off as cute to me.

I think Bioshock did it really well, but I don't know if I could ever go back to it. Infinite was a great game but I was very disappointed by the plot.

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You can't really go wrong with Prey though

Wait did you play it?

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As for the Destiny addiction that was mentioned, it's a very real thing for a lot of people, but I only play the aspects of the game which I'm personally interested in. I don't need to collect everything and do everything in these sorts of games, but I gather this isn't the norm for seemingly a lot of players, and they eventually treat the things like a second job. Yikes! But I dunno, just disengage and play something else if you feel like you're on the hamster wheel.

I mean I'm definitely that way, even with single player games: I almost never get 100%, 'cause frankly most games' content isn't interesting enough to warrant it. "120 shrines, huh? Why would you do all of 'em?"

"You get a costume!"

"And just wander around the world you've already explored for 100 hours with it?"

"Yeah!"

"And all those 120 shrines, are they all interesting and fun?"

"Well, no, but you get a cool costume!"

"...Naw I've done like 68 shrines, I think I'm good."

I'm very self-conscious with how I spend my time, and I like being able to know I can put X amount of time into something and get a complete experience, if you know what I mean. 

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Dishonored is glorious oilpunk, thank you very much.

To clarify, I don't think Dishonored handled its aesthetic poorly, I was making a general comment.