GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

It's both her and Dany's first REAL battle; They'll get their techniques worked out for next time.

In fact, since Jorah is likely going to show up and take over for Tyrion as battle tactician, he might have some good advice along those lines.

15 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

The continuous shot of Bronn trying to escape from the Dothraki seemed like a fantasy version of SPR. 

This long shot is definitely one of the highlights of the season so far.  But what's SPR?  I'm racking my brain trying to think what it is but nothing's coming.  I'm sure I'll say "D'oh!" when you tell me.

I don't mind the highly accelerated pace of this season, but does anyone else feel like it is almost more suited to being seen straight through instead of week to week?  The broader strokes of earlier seasons were oddly more fulfilling when seen at the regular rate of broadcast.  It feels more like a mini movie every week rather than an installment in a series. 

36 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm guessing that's what could lead to his death: something he cannot anticipate, the powers of the Starks' children (Bran's visions, Arya's faceless tricks...).

Good... good, you have come to the right side.  His death is inevitable.

33 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I don't mind the highly accelerated pace of this season, but does anyone else feel like it is almost more suited to being seen straight through instead of week to week?  The broader strokes of earlier seasons were oddly more fulfilling when seen at the regular rate of broadcast.  It feels more like a mini movie every week rather than an installment in a series. 

I was just talking to a coworker about that recently: That to me, each episode this season feels like a mini-movie, more than it does an episode of a TV show.  Weird.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I still think it'd be a waste of a character. All this build-up, all those scenes insisting on how important and powerful he is only to have him die before having done something really huge (unless they reveal he's the one behind assassination attempt on bran, that way they can say: "He's the one that started it all: the War Of The Five Kings, and everything that followed! If it weren't for him, none of this would have happened!", right before having him killed by the Starks.)

This... might be exactly what happens

How far is High Garden from Dragonstone? The Dothraki got there impossibly quick, no?

But really, I'm enjoying this brisk new style and I shan't complain too much about the daft travel logistics.

The way they shot that dragon attack, it felt real, it felt like shock and awe, and it was fucking awesome. I'm not even talking about the quality of the effects work either. This is the promise I was hoping to see kept when I started up Game of Thrones all those years ago: proper hard fantasy imagery captured on film.

My goodness. Just caught up on this season.....

It's been very intense.

Spoiler

Damn, I like Jaime.

Sure he's a bad guy

Spoiler

... but I like him. Oh well.

At this point would Bran even care who attempted to assassinate him? Surely his attention would be on the Night King and his army?

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So anyway, how come Dany still needs Tyrion again?

She made him Hand and probably still trusts his counsel?

On another note, I was hoping Jamie and Tyrion's gaze would meet for a moment from a distance, maybe just a silhouette between the fire.

I also thought someone might throw a spear that might miss Tyrion ala: 

13 minutes ago, Arpy said:

She made him Hand and probably still trusts his counsel?

It's a bit of a mystery why though init. 

13 minutes ago, Arpy said:

On another note, I was hoping Jamie and Tyrion's gaze would meet for a moment from a distance

Missed opportunity, that. The gaze I mean, not the video clip (forum doesn't let Android users remove embedded video in HTML mode).

Well her faith in his guidance has been shaken after the loss of Highgarden and Casterly Rock. She wouldn't be better off without him and probably is after all the help she can get!

15 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

...does anyone else feel like it is almost more suited to being seen straight through instead of week to week? 

Yeah, I certainly feel that. I'd gotten used to watching several episodes at a time for the first three seasons so, now, watching it week by week feels like being dished out small snippets of a larger work. I often find myself somewhat bemused when people (here and elsewhere) express very different responses to the episodes from one week to the next, because for me there isn't a great deal of variation in the overall quality (within seasons, at least), just variation in the relative proportions of set-up and pay-off. I guess that's largely because I'm coming at it with a different perspective, in which single episodes are much smaller than basic units of storytelling.

On the same idea, my rule-of-four held up well (for the final time); that is, the idea that if you take Game of Thrones episodes, from the beginning, and weld them together into super-episodes in groups of four (even when this means bridging an inter-season break), you get a very effective division of the series into blocks which do have a good balance of set-up and pay-off. The first four episodes of Season 7 constitute one such block, with the wagon-train battle serving as a great climax to it.

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

How far is High Garden from Dragonstone? The Dothraki got there impossibly quick, no?

The wagon-train was near the end of its journey back to King's Landing when the attack happened, so a lot closer to Dragonstone than Highgarden would have been. Even so, I think it has to have been a matter of weeks after the last time we saw Daenerys in this episode, not just hours or days.

I could've sworn I heard a Lannister character make a comment about the last of the wagons being safe inside the city walls, which made me think the gold was already back in King's Landing. That would make these wagons be hauling something other than gold, even though we saw Jaime digging in a wagon with gold to get Bronn's payment. I'm not sure what I heard now. 

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

The loot train attack didn't happen anywhere near Highgarden, it happened outside King's Landing.  Just before the attack, Jaime had a line about how the last of the gold was safely inside the walls of King's Landing.

Dragonstone is not far from King's Landing.

But really, I'm enjoying this brisk new style and I shan't complain too much about the daft travel logistics.

The way they shot that dragon attack, it felt real, it felt like shock and awe, and it was fucking awesome. I'm not even talking about the quality of the effects work either. This is the promise I was hoping to see kept when I started up Game of Thrones all those years ago: proper hard fantasy imagery captured on film.

Yes!

4 minutes ago, Woj said:

That would make these wagons be hauling something other than gold, even though we saw Jaime digging in a wagon with gold to get Bronn's payment. 

Yeah, they were also transporting a lot of food from The Reach. I hope they like their meals well done.

The scene in which Jaime grabs a bag of gold from one of the wagons was earlier, just as they were leaving Highgarden.

13 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

My goodness. Just caught up on this season.....

It's been very intense.

Reveal hidden contents

Sure he's a bad guy

Reveal hidden contents

Johnny, there's no need to put commentary on any episodes that have already aired in spoiler-blocks.  Thank you!

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

At this point would Bran even care who attempted to assassinate him? Surely his attention would be on the Night King and his army?

Within the episode, he clearly expressed that he didn't care, yes.

32 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

On the same idea, my rule-of-four held up well (for the final time); that is, the idea that if you take Game of Thrones episodes, from the beginning, and weld them together into super-episodes in groups of four (even when this means bridging an inter-season break), you get a very effective division of the series into blocks which do have a good balance of set-up and pay-off. The first four episodes of Season 7 constitute one such block, with the wagon-train battle serving as a great climax to it.

Yes, I've thought that too.  That the whole series could be re-edited into a series of 3-ish hour movies fairly well.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The loot train attack didn't happen anywhere near Highgarden, it happened outside King's Landing.  Just before the attack, Jaime had a line about how the last of the gold was safely inside the walls of King's Landing.

Was the castle up on the ridge which Bronn jokingly asked to be given to him Highgarden?

1 hour ago, Woj said:

I could've sworn I heard a Lannister character make a comment about the last of the wagons being safe inside the city walls, which made me think the gold was already back in King's Landing. That would make these wagons be hauling something other than gold, even though we saw Jaime digging in a wagon with gold to get Bronn's payment. I'm not sure what I heard now. 

Yup!  The first scene with Jaime and Bronn at the beginning of the episode took place outside Highgarden, when Jaime payed Bronn the bag of gold.

The second scene with Jaime and Bronn at the end of the episode took place some time later (more than a week, at least) as the front of the loot train had just made it inside King's Landing, but there was still a long line of wagons full of crops, to be stored in King's Landing for the coming winter, all the crops Bronn took from all the farmers in The Reach.  The battle happened just after the gold made it safely inside the walls of King's Landing, but none of the crops had yet.  

I believe Dany was purposely burning up a lot of the crops, and not just soldiers.  Their plan a while back was to surround and starve out King's Landing, after all.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

That was at the beginning of the episode.

The attack happened at the end of the episode. No castle in sight then.

Fuck knows mate I pay little attention to these things in Game of Thrones. Because it was a matter of minutes between scenes featuring those characters I probably just assumed they couldn't have travelled too far. But of course, this is Game of Thrones we're talking about, so I should've known.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Was the castle up on the ridge which Bronn jokingly asked to be given to him Highgarden?

Yes, but that was the scene from the beginning of the episode.  The first scene with Jaime and Bronn at the beginning of the episode took place outside Highgarden, when Jaime payed Bronn the bag of gold and Bronn joked about being give the castle, etc.

The second scene with Jaime and Bronn at the end of the episode took place some time later (more than a week, at least) as the front of the loot train had just made it inside King's Landing, but there was still a long line of wagons full of crops, to be stored in King's Landing for the coming winter, all the crops Bronn took from all the farmers in The Reach.  The battle happened just after the gold made its way safely past the walls of King's Landing.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Fuck knows mate I pay little attention to these things in Game of Thrones. Because it was a matter of minutes between scenes featuring those characters I probably just assumed they couldn't have travelled too far. But of course, this is Game of Thrones we're talking about, so I should've known.

Matter of minutes?

The episode opened with the scene outside Highgarden.  30+ minutes of screen time later at the end of the episode, we got a second scene with Jamie and Bronn, taking place a week or more later when the loot train had now made its way from Highgarden to King's Landing, picking up crops from all the farmers of The Reach along the way.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I believe Dany was purposely burning up a lot of the crops, and not just soldiers.  Their plan a while back was to surround and starve out King's Landing, after all.

Depriving Cersei of the food should definitely facilitate the siege, but didn't Daenerys mention something earlier about the problem of having to feed her own army? I wonder if she'll regret destroying the food rather than seizing it.

I don't think she destroyed ALL the food, but its hard to know until next week.

Also her Targaryen anger might have taken over from her logical brain during the attack.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Matter of minutes?

The episode opened with the scene outside Highgarden.  30+ minutes of screen time later at the end of the episode, we got a second scene with Jamie and Bronn, when the loot train had now made its way from Highgarden to King's Landing, picking up crops from all the farmers of The Reach along the way.

That's minutes, that's what I said. The passage of time for this journey was extremely slight and clearly inadequate.

Clearly inadequate?  You seem to be the only person who watched this episode and thought they were still near Highgarden at the end of the episode.

I'm sure Quintus has better things to do than memorize the map of Westeros. If only there was a way to remind the audience each week of where all these communities are on a big world map. Oh well. 

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Clearly inadequate?  Huh?  You seem to be the only person who watched this episode and thought they were still near Highgarden at the end of the episode.

Yes, on the planet. And no Jason, I don't microanalyse these things like a lot of you guys do. I'm a casual viewer of this show. When are you gonna get this through your skull?

Realizing that a scene that opens an episode can take place in a different location than a scene that ends an episode, when said closing scenes begins with a character saying the name of the location they are now at, is microanalysing?

OK.

Christ, the environment and the terrain looked the same to me therefore for all intents and purposes ie the visual language of this show: it was essentially the same place and was mistaken by myself as being the same place.

Picture the scene: I'm watching Game of Thrones in bed at 11:30 last night with the volume fairly low on the 28" TV, due to Kate closing her eyes and falling asleep beside me. I'm trying to keep the noise down, plus I'm also eating a bowl of cereal, a cheeky late night snack and bad habit I must get out of. This is generally how I go about watching Game of Thrones these days. Now believe it or not, this is likely the same sort of way many of this show's millions of viewers keep up with it, quite casually and comfortably. Unlike fans like you, who are hyper engaged with it from start to finish.

You listen intently to every single line of dialogue and make a mental note of it all, probably cross referencing newly acquired knowledge in your mind on the fly, as you watch. I'm not making this up - your personal viewing habits are regularly reflected on this site, where your "running commentary" style of episode review for everything you watch is as comprehensive as it anal, a checklist of everything that happened in that episode often down to the minutiae detail of it (just in case people weren't listening). You're like a friggin' android mate, and you expect everyone else to be watching the same as you are. And if they don't, and this is the worst part, you often take them to task about it! You do it all the time here! I'm not a fan of that, so do us a favour and give it a rest, will ya? I don't have the same priorities as you have.