GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The thing about Game of Thrones, for me at least, is that I don't think it holds up anymore to too much scrutiny, to allow for too much thought about "finer details". Earlier on, that quality was one of its strength and biggest allures, but there have been some really loose moments since then, and so I find it a much more comfortable watch if I simply regard it as accessible broad entertainment, like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

True.

It is a pity thoug, because that level of detail was one of the things that stood out in the earlier seasons. Now its all but abandoned. 

Why does Cersei need the Iron Banks when Euros can make an armada of ships out of seemingly nothing in seemingly record time?

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That show looked absolutely awful even when it was new.

I think the campy aspects of it very seen as a plus at the time. Not that I ever watched it.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why does Cersei need the Iron Banks when Euros can make an armada of ships out of seemingly nothing in seemingly record time?

Balance of power. 

Euron's fleet consists of the already established Iron Islands navy loyal to him, as he is the current Greyjoy ruler of that realm. And he presently offers his allegiance to King's Landing. 

But Cersei knows if she doesn't put out eventually, Euron may take his ships and go home. She needs to be able to buy and recruit her own standing navy to counter that. 

She can't do that because the crown is still broke from when King Robert bankrupted them. She can't borrow anymore from the Iron Bank until she pays off that debt, hence the spoils of war taken from an enemy house.

Once the slate is wiped clean, she can turn around and borrow the money back, recruit all the mercenaries she needs, win the war, put Euron in his place, and she'll still be able to repay the bank from whatever new treasury she plunders. 

That should be her plan. It went up in smoke last week because now, only the craziest of crazies will meet Dothraki and dragons on an open field. And most of those crazies already fight for Daenerys Targaryen. Cersei needs die-hards like the Gold Company. 

36 minutes ago, Woj said:

Balance of power. 

Euron's fleet consists of the already established Iron Islands navy loyal to him, as he is the current Greyjoy ruler of that realm. And he presently offers his allegiance to King's Landing. 

But Cersei knows if she doesn't put out eventually, Euron may take his ships and go home. She needs to be able to buy and recruit her own standing navy to counter that. 

She can't do that because the crown is still broke from when King Robert bankrupted them. She can't borrow anymore from the Iron Bank until she pays off that debt, hence the spoils of war taken from an enemy house.

Once the slate is wiped clean, she can turn around and borrow the money back, recruit all the mercenaries she needs, win the war, put Euron in his place, and she'll still be able to repay the bank from whatever new treasury she plunders. 

That should be her plan. It went up in smoke last week because now, only the craziest of crazies will meet Dothraki and dragons on an open field. And most of those crazies already fight for Daenerys Targaryen. Cersei needs die-hards like the Gold Company. 

Is this in the book?

Isn't Euron's last scene of season 6 basically him saying, "Let's build a fuckload of ships, boys!"

I'm pretty sure it was made clear that Yara had taken the entire existing fleet and Euron would have to build a new one.

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Is this in the book?

I said "should be her plan." I don't know what is in the books because, well, the books stopped a long time ago in the story, and I stopped reading the books anyways when Ned was arrested, a very long time ago.

Again, this is only speculation because we don't have new books to read and we're presently 10.5 hours from airtime in the eastern United States. 

I can only speculate. Chances are my speculation from playing years of strategy games is better than Tyrion's military advice learned from reading, drinking, and banging whores. 

Okay, so Euron built his own new navy to sink Yara's older fleet. That's fine. Cersei might want to be able to build her own ships that are loyal to the Lannister banner without being at the mercy of vassal houses, whose loyalty could bounce at any time for any reason. 

Reapeat. I am only speculating. Talking about something that is my own opinion to entertain myself in the downtime between episodes. 

12 hours ago, Woj said:

Balance of power. 

Indeed!  Nice post!

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is this in the book?

The show passed all the books years ago.  The last thing that happened in the last published book was Jon Snow's death!

He was clearly just making his own interpretation of events based on watching the show.  IIRC, he hasn't read the books. 

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed!  Nice post!

Huh?  He was clearly just making his own interpreation of events based on watching the show.

The show passed all the books years ago.  The last thing that happened in the last published book was Jon Snow's death!

Sorry, I already used up all my interpretation power with Twin Peaks. Luckily though Game of Thrones doesn't really need any.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

But if she hires sellswords (the Golden Company is supposed to be a group of sellswords, right?), they wouldn't be quite loyal to her, would they? Well, I guess as long as the  money keeps coming in, sure, they would, but after that...

The Golden Company is supposed to be so honorable that they'll keep any contract they sign, even if their contract holders back out. Of course, now that dragons are real again and the Dothraki have sailed, they have first right of refusal. 

Point is, now that Dany has everyone's attention, Cersei may have lost all advantages, unless the Mountain v2 has immunity to fire or she can Qyburnify an entire battalion. 

So when does Cersei get the Golden Company?  I think last episode of the season but they could pull a quick one and have them in this episode or the next for a quick response to Loot Train.

Great episode!

I'm willing to bet that Gilly and Sam brought the book with Prince "Ragger's" annulment with them, for a future plot twist ;) 

Cersei pregnancy feels like a cheap development. Maybe she's lying. Probably not though.

Littlefinger sowing discord between the sisters is expected.  It will bite him in the ass!

Oh boy next week looks exciting!  Didn't anticipate Jon going north of the Wall again, that's for sure.

Well that had to be the fastest paced episode they've ever done. 

Eastwatch was dope in the opening credits. Didn't notice which city they took out to include it... Probably Pyke? 

I loved how the group going north of the wall at the end had a bunch of red shirts with them, to make battles more exciting next week. I'm sure Bran will warg into animals to save them all last minute. 

So if Rhaegar was annuled from his marriage to the Dorne lady who The Mountain killed her and their kids, does that mean he married Lyanna Stark, making Jon not only literally an heir to Winterfell next in line after Ned's kids, but simultaneously an heir to the Iron Throne, next in life after Daenerys? Or would he be in line before his aunt, just by virtue of being male? 

BTW, is anyone else confused about what it was about the note Sansa wrote that Littlefinger wanted Arya to find would make her upset at Sansa? Even with pausing the stream to read the portion of the note they showed on screen, I wasn't sure what it was supposed to mean. 

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think either of them are into incest. That's the other queen. 

Are you kidding? Daenerys is the product of incest. Her mother and father were brother and sister. 

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Heh, I thought about that.  If they sleep together before finding out his parentage they'll be just like Jaime and Cersei!  Incest left and right!

Kinda. Jon Snow's father was also the product of the Mad King and his sister/wife, just like Daenerys. Jon's slightly more diluted because his mother was fresh blood. 

Why the double standard between the Lannisters and Targaryens regarding inbreeding? Class, I guess. Tywin had no problem marrying his first cousin and having three children, but he considered it taboo from two of them to have carnal relations. Kinda hypocritical. 

11 hours ago, Woj said:

Are you kidding? Daenerys is the product of incest. Her mother and father were brother and sister. 

How does that have anything to do with Dany choosing to sleep with her nephew or not?

Just now, crumbs said:

More likely Arya is playing along and fully aware that Littlefinger is attempting to manipulate her with a faux Sansa-power-plot.

I was wondering about that.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was wondering about that.

If Arya is truly that dumb, it would be a bigger cop-out than, 'Jamie and Bronn magically survive underwater for 10 minutes wearing armor, swimming to a secluded section of the lake that conveniently has no Dothraki in sight!'

She didn't go through two seasons of teachings under the Faceless Men to be bested by Littlefinger. Methinks he's finally met his match, out-manipulated by Ned's daughter and his betrayal will be uncovered. That dagger in Arya's possession is no red herring, IMO.

Yea, I was going to mention the lake survival too, its by far the most incredulous moment of an otherwise great episode.

And yea, I hope that Arya knew all along Baelish wanted her to find the scroll, and that she turn the tables on him rather then creating any further tension with her sister.

I joked all week with friends that it would be way too cheap/soap opera-ish to have Jamie/Bronn wash up on a shoreline away from the battle and escape. I burst into laughter when that exact scenario occurred.

So, so cheap. Talk about burning trust with viewers after such a contrived cliffhanger. :sarcasm: Can you imagine Vince Gilligan pulling shit like this on his viewers?

Better Call Saul season 3 spoiler:

Spoiler

It would be as cheap as Better Call Saul season 4 starting with Chuck bursting out his front door, engulfed by smoke, as his burning house collapses behind him.

I'm surprised that so many people felt that was a cliffhanger. It didn't occur to me for a moment that we were supposed to believe that Jaime might die as a result of falling into the river, it being so a clearly a case of death (by dragon) averted at the last minute...

7 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Whether they know they're related or not Dany + Jon is inevitable. 

Just cause she was giving him googly eyes before he departed?  He didn't seem THAT interested in her, and besides, he took the black and isn't supposed to bed anyone!

That look she gave him when he was petting her dragon ;) 

Just now, Jay said:

Just cause she was giving him googly eyes before he departed?  He didn't seem THAT interested in her, and besides, he took the black and isn't supposed to bed anyone!

His watch is ended!  And it certainly didn't stop him with the wildling chick before that!

I know, just being silly.

With only 2 episodes left until next year, I doubt anyone's gonna bone down anytime soon anyway