GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

:rimshot: 

Incidentally, I'm happy to be a 100% legal live watcher.  Worth the $13/month for HBO Now while its on, for sure.

I've pirated a few other shows before, like Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, before AMC offered logins for Fios or Xfinity accounts, but I have never pirated an episode of Game of Thrones. It's always been difficult to wait for the home video release. It's nice to now watch actual HBO with the initial broadcast. 

That's crazy HBO Spain aired it a week early.  But why was it aired in English, if it was HBO Spain?

Anyways, if anyone here chooses to watch it early, please contain your entire comments about it in spoiler tags.  Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

The audio in the leaked version is about a semitone too high. I wouldn't watch it.

Botched PAL conversion?

34 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I think I'd prefer to watch a subtitled film that a dubbed one. Dubbing looks terrible. 

Now imagine living in a country where EVERYTHING on TV is dubbed, and even in the cinema, you only get a choice for a very select few movies... here, Dunkirk, Spider-Man HC, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, Planet of the Apes - basically every big and interesting movie this summer - was only shown dubbed. Oh, but we could watch Transformers and the fucking Emoji movie subbed!

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Botched PAL conversion?

Now imagine living in a country where EVERYTHING on TV is dubbed, and even in the cinema, you only get a choice for a very select few movies... here, Dunkirk, Spider-Man HC, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, Planet of the Apes - basically every big and interesting movie this summer - was only shown dubbed. Oh, but we could watch Transformers and the fucking Emoji movie subbed!

Yikes! 

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

Botched PAL conversion?

Someone who has this should check the run time. HBO says the official run time is 71 minutes. If the leak is PAL, it will have PAL speed up and be shorter (probably around 65 min).  This would account for the high pitched audio sounding "off".

My favourite is the fake dubbing....they don't actually dub the audio, just have some "actors" read the lines over and you can hear the original audio in the background. The "good" ones will use different people for different voices, the bad ones will use one person, usually a guy, to read ALL the lines, male and female, child and adult.

Got a lot of that when I lived in Moscow for a few years.  I got to the point where I trained my ears enough that I could almost tune out the dubbing and listen to the original English track.  

52 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

My favourite is the fake dubbing....they don't actually dub the audio, just have some "actors" read the lines over and you can hear the original audio in the background. The "good" ones will use different people for different voices, the bad ones will use one person, usually a guy, to read ALL the lines, male and female, child and adult.

Oh, this guy is a huge meme and national treasure:

Obviously, it's much more hilarious if you understand what he's saying (translations are probably based on the dialogue being transcribed by ear), but you can still hear how he stumbles on lines, has no emphasis or emotion, slurs the two characters together... Sad thing is, we didn't get a proper Jedi dub till '93 (guess the new Laserdisc master was distributed widely to up the buzz before the SE) and even then...

when you thought the NOOO couldn't get any worse!

(Nobody cares, but this clip has nothing to do with the 93 dub, it's the 97 SE dub updated (maybe redone) for the bluray version)

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Botched PAL conversion?

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

HBO says the official run time is 71 minutes. If the leak is PAL, it will have PAL speed up and be shorter (probably around 65 min).  This would account for the high pitched audio sounding "off".

Indeed, this seems to be the case.

23 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The one I've found is 66 minutes long.

But isn't the whole NTSC/PAL thing supposed to be over now, with digital shooting? I mean, I know that thing doesn't exist anymore with Blu-Rays.

The whole root of the problem is with the different mains frequency (60/50), which spawned the original NTSC/PAL. When digital broadcasting came about, one of the regions would have had to change to the other (huge fight which one is better), and there every broadcaster would have had to get all new equipment, and everyone on the entire continent who still had an older TV could just throw it in the garbage because it could no longer intercept any signal. It would have been a huge financial and logistical undertaking, not to mention the basics of figuring out how to run a common format on different electrical systems, so the US evolved NTSC into ATSC and PAL evolved into DVB, and we still lazily just speed/pitch up the video we get from overseas.

Bluray doesn't have this because it's just a disc which plays a video file, it has nothing to do with broadcasting. It only has that retarded region locking because big bad corporations and evil lawyers.

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

Obviously, it's much more hilarious if you understand what he's saying (translations are probably based on the dialogue being transcribed by ear), but you can still hear how he stumbles on lines, has no emphasis or emotion, slurs the two characters together... Sad thing is, we didn't get a proper Jedi dub till '93 (guess the new Laserdisc master was distributed widely to up the buzz before the SE) and even then...

(Nobody cares, but this clip has nothing to do with the 93 dub, it's the 97 SE dub updated (maybe redone) for the bluray version)

Oh, those are awful. Wonderfully, gloriously awful.

I actually heard about this before. Years ago I met two Hungarian girls while hiking the Camino de Santiago, and they told me about growing up in Hungary watching Star Wars on TV, how hugely popular it was, and the legendary dubbings. Too funny.

57 minutes ago, Holko said:

Reminds me of the old German DVD screener of Return of the King I had to put up with before the English version eventually leaked:

He's welcome to stay in the conversation, just not ruin things for those that won't be watching earliy

Don't worry! I won't say anything about the tanks that Qyburn has invented for Cersei. 

Or that Arya is really Jaquen in disguise and it all gets revealed in this episode!

And I won't tell you about the Jofrey Wight!

So I checked out the leak, since I won't be able to actually watch the episode this weekend. Audio/video quality is fine.

As for the actual content of the episode

, well, I think 

Game of Thrones has officially jumped the shark.

I think all commentary about the episode including that should be in a spoiler block, as there will be people coming into this thread excited about watching Sunday who don't want to know anything about it before then

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Was the audio or anything else an issue?

It was noticeably high pitched I thought (at least the version I saw). A semitone above normal probably sounds about right. It's a bit off putting at first but you get used to it. 

I think there are better versions out there though. 

I think you only notice it with the opening credits. After about the first minute, I don't think you really pick up on it.

15 minutes ago, KK said:

As for the actual content of the episode

, well, I think 

Game of Thrones has officially jumped the shark.

This officially means the rest of us will think it's brilliant!

JWFanContrarian strikes again!

5 minutes ago, KK said:

I think you only notice it with the opening credits. After about the first minute, I don't think you really pick up on it.

Anytime a character spoke for the first time it was a bit weird but I quickly got used to it. 

Yea, I got used to it pretty quickly.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This officially means the rest of us will think it's brilliant!

JWFanContrarian strikes again!

I don't know. I'm sure the masses will get a huge kick out of it. I'm genuinely curious to see what general thoughts here will be.

Also, this raises some good points:

Travel happens instantly on 'Game of Thrones' now, and it's really annoying.