GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Spoiler

Spoiler

OK.  They are in the deep north, in a world where its ALWAYS winter.  That ice wouldn't crack, it would be INCHES if not FEET thick!  Also, EVEN if it did, it would re-freeze VERY quickly.

Heh heh, I literally couldn't give two shits about any of those kind of things. Your brain works very differently to mine.

Spoiler

It seems they probably stayed on their little rock island for maybe 2 days before Dany showed up, the ice would have reformed LONG before that.  Come on!

2 days? To me if felt more like 2 hours, AT MOST. It's was utterly ridiculous. (I of course realise it was supposed to be a longer period of time, but they made a total pig's ear out of it, it was incompetent.

WHY WRITERS, WHY??  You are doing SO MUCH RIGHT why make these little mistakes that makes things seem so stupid!??!

Because they seem to have lost sight of the prize. Hopefully this state of affairs is the worst wobble of the season. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Spoiler

They were on the lake at least overnight. They arrived on it during the day, then there was a night scene, then the morning after they realized Thoros died in his sleep. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:
  Hide contents

They were on the lake at least overnight. They arrived on it during the day, then there was a night scene, then the morning after they realized Thoros died in his sleep. 

You'd assume it'd take a day or two for the raven to fly to the other side of Westeros. Not to mention how long it might have taken Gendry to run to the wall. And they might be dragons, but that journey is no easy feat.

Sloppy, sloppy writing.

The events were satisfying on a surface level though, but I agree with Gloin that this is one of least favourite episodes. Rushing big plot events for the sake of fan service. Even then, every beat was pretty predictable.

Spoiler

Well, it's not really the other side of Westeros; Dorne would be the other side of Westeros. Dragonstone is north of King's Landing even. But yeah, I take your point. 

They could have helped immensely by having Bran be involved in all this. Like, he is warged into some kind of animal with them from Winterfell, as soon as he knows they need help he unwargs and sends a raven, etc. Maybe even have changed the story a bit to have Dany already be somewhat north for a reason. Like maybe she was about to be involved in a second attack against Lannister army, and flies away to help Jon, abandoning the Dothraki to fight without her. Whatever, something like that. 

I read something today that clarified a feeling I'd have but couldn't put into words. Basically, for six seasons we got a "second pass" at material already written (the books), meaning they got to start with good material and hone/edit it down to the TV show, making everything really good. Streamlining over rough spots, dropping nonimportant stuff, clarifying confusing parts, etc. 

Now, they're on their own, and we're getting their first pass / first draft. And it feels like it.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

I read something today that clarified a feeling I'd have but couldn't put into words. Basically, for six seasons we got a "second pass" at material already written (the books), meaning they got to start with good material and hone/edit it down to the TV show, making everything really good. Streamlining over rough spots, dropping nonimportant stuff, clarifying confusing parts, etc. 

Now, they're on their own, and we're getting their first pass / first draft. And it feels like it. 

They havent had any "good" material to work with since season 4. For parts of that season and onwards they've been changing stuff because what happens in the books after that point is full as fuck. 

The show got less complex at this point but the books got more complex. Loads more subplots and minor characters. The books get bogged down in trivial minutiae and the show runners knew that they'd hemorage viewers if they even attempted to be faithful to Feast for Crows.

The show became a bit more cliched as a result but on the plus side the show will have a conclusion that will satisfy the majority and it'll actually finish. I feel sorry for anyone that things they'll get a resolution in the books. 

So basically, I think the show has been on the decline since Tywin too a crossbow bolt to the colon but the decline is related to the decline in the books, not the showrunners running out of books to adapt. 

The fast travel and "send a crow" were flagrantly taking the piss. That's the main issue. There is literally no attempt to give a fuck on the part of the writers this time.

Other than that I had no other serious problems with the episode. It's a actually a thrilling installment.

I never agreed with Karol about what this show's merits were to begin with, so for me it's all seemingly reaching its natural conclusion. That's what I've been waiting for all these years, after the long build up and promise of it (bearing in mind that Game of Thrones hasn't been top tier TV for me for 6 years anyway).

Never said I didn't like it (not blatantly anyway). It's a good episode but feels a bit lazily put together.

And @Quintus I do realise we like different things. But that's ok. I'm still watching it and enjoying for the most part. But it ain't The Wire, Deadwood or Breaking Bad. It only sometimes reaches that level.

Karol

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Never said I didn't like it (not blatantly anyway). It's a good episode but feels a bit lazily put together.

It's beyond lazy right now. It's a pity they have to let themselves down so readily, but then again I suppose they look at the ratings and don't give a shit.

"MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS. MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS.MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS.MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS.MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS.MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS.MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS.MUST. NOT. REVEAL. HIDDEN. CONTENTS."

They say once you click one, there's no going back. You can't unsee what has been seen!

On mobile (or desktop) you can highlight your entire post (or any text) and then click the eyeball icon, and it puts whatever you highlighted in a spoiler block. 

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So, without spoilers, what did everyone think of the episode?

As I seem to understand it, KK and croc didn't really like it, and LeBlanc didn't quite like it either (or at least, they didn't like some stuff happening in it).

Here is my spoiler free answer to your question, safe to read. I'm only putting it in a spoiler block to keep all commentary on the episode hidden until Sunday. 

Spoiler

It was mostly fucking awesome! Great action/fighting, gorgeous Iceland scenery, really funny dialogue/character interactions, brilliant special effects, exciting/tense moments. On the surface level, the best fantasy action you'll see on TV! 

But it's unfortunately mired by some really, REALLY stupid writing in spots. You know how last week, there was that ridiculous lake survival by Jaime and Bronn with no enemy soldiers on the other side to boot? There's like three scenes on that level this week. Terrible. Also, all the Winterfell scenes are hot garbage. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

No, because you can make a post full of quotes, the click the eyeball afterwards. Simple. 

I don't want my non spoiler replies to individual quotes which do feature spoilers to be wrapped in spoiler tags though.

I might not be able to watch the episode until Tuesday... :shakehead:

The internet won't be set up in my new house until Tuesday!  And streaming an hour-long HD video would obliterate my cellular data allowance.

The Winterfell stuff indeed is dumb, but it shows that Arya knows exactly zilch about politics. She's reacting to the letter like a headstrong idealistic child, but a dangerous one wielding a blade. 

Hopefully. 

Theon is awol at the moment, and Yara has not been seen since her capture. I would prefer to not see either again, but I know that won't happen. 

The dragon rescue setpiece was pretty badass, but how they arrived there was pretty darn dumb.

And it still baffles me how the crew thought they got face that whole army and still survive...which miraculously, they did...

It does seem odd that the Gendry sprint was the method the writers chose to spark the rescue - there really are a number of obvious and more sensible alternatives - but it wasn't quite so jarringly sudden as people had made it seem.  I think if the whole mission had been stretched over two episodes, the first ending with Gendry's departure and the rest of them surrounded, there would have been more of a sense that just enough time passed for it to make some kind of sense unless you really start thinking about the physics of it.  Despite them making it clear that at least a day passed, it would have benefitted from more space than a single episode could provide.  

I also think it would have lent a more momentous air to the whole journey, which they did do a good job of anyway.  The character moments were really spot on here and it would have been great if all of this were more of a multi episode arc as we would have seen in a previous season.

As for the Stark girls getting catty, I really think there's obviously something more going on than "bad writing."

10 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It does seem odd that the Gendry sprint was the method the writers chose to spark the rescue

Poor Gendry. First, he spends entire seasons rowing, and now he has to run back on his own for half the episode.

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Shark jumped 

D'oh. (Why's there only one screencap of this on the net?)

Bran should have been involved in the rescue from the ice somehow. Like he was with them the whole time as a warged animal that helped fight, etc, and when they realized how screwed they were (because he couldn't warg into a raven to spy on their surroundings at the same time), he just unwarged to instantly get a raven sent to dragonstone. 

Then we'd get to see Gendry actually using his hammer more instead of The Hound having to use it. 

Day's rescue would have been better if she didn't start the episode in Dragonstone at all, but was already north for some reason, not all the way up in "the North" maybe, but in some other area for some other reason, like a second battle with the Lannister army or something. Maybe the raven out of Winterfell arrives there, and she chooses to leave that battle at a crucial moment to go rescue Jon, leaving THAT battle in a cliffhanger of who would win. 

Wouldn't that be more dramatic? 

All in all, a major problem with all of this is how rushed the Dany/Jon love affair is. Needed two seasons to develop, not 4 episodes. 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wojo really had an avatar up spoiling the episode before it aired? What a dick! 

Dick? 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I like to think it was not intentional, as he probably didn't think people who hadn't seen the episode would realize what it was meant to represent

I prefer to think I didn't think about it on those terms. But I should have been more clever and posted a picture of a frost dragon from Skyrim. I definitely had fun trolling the saps on Twitter who hadn't watched the Spanish rip. 

Actually, I only watched last night hoping parts of the Spanish rip were bogus and that the real episode would debut last night. Not to be. 

Why didn't the Night King kill the Dragon that was sitting relatively close to him, the one Dany and the others were sitting on? Instead he had to be a showoff!

My brother has a theory that the whole thing was a trap set by the Walkers to get a dragon, they're in the same place as Bran saw them in the raven fly-by. That would explain why the NK had a spear and brought all those chains eh?