GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

If those spoilers are to be believed then it'll be a gigantic waste of my time! What nonsense! 

Who could have done this?

Cv09rQvWIAAYYsq.jpg

p.s. look at that CG yoda! Bloody amazing with the lighting!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone else feel that Jon and Dany have no chemistry whatsoever, and the only reason we know they are in love is because they are given dialogue where they say they are? 

They have zero chemistry together, and therefore its impossible to believe the deep, all-encompasing love the plot now demands they have for each other.

Did the showrunners ever bothered putting Kitt and Emilia together before deciding to go ahead with this?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As is abundantly clear at this point, a deal to direct a Star War can be...impermanent.

I could imagine James Earl Jones delivering that line 😂

Oh God I missed the worst part in that leak.

If true, time to sell off my S01/S02 DVDs.

9 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Its also his fault that the books turned to shite because he doesn’t plan in advance and makes it all up as he goes leaving him in a position where he’ll never be able to unravel the convoluted mess of his own story. 

Wat

16 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Wat

Yes, GRRM wrote the books and therefore it is entirely his fault that the last couple of books aren’t very good and he’s made a mess of the story.

18 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

What about Starbucks?

They must be loving all this free publicity. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

So you're carrying a sword associated to a book series you think turned shite?

Hmmm...

I still like the character of Jon Snow and I really like the first 4 season of the TV show and enjoy the later season and I like some of Martin’s other ancillary Seven Kingdom’s material. Plus I like the sword and have always wanted one. 

The first three books of ASOIF are great though. I’m doing a re-read so maybe I’ll enjoy Feast and Dance more the second time.

I regret buying 1-5 on Blu.  First my regret was because of course there's gonna be a nice 8 season box set one day.  Now my regret is more like eh.... I probably don't need to re-watch this show someday.

Knowing what non-climaxes they eventually lead to would take a lot out of the majority of the plotlines and characters.

With the show ultimately coming down to being all about Dany, Jon, the three Lannisters and the three Starks, you could almost argue that Stannis, Dorne, and the Boltons could have all been written out and that time could have spent developing where we are at now better instead

Volumes 4 and 5 of the book series are all building up to climaxes which have mostly been pushed back into Volume 6. If they'd been adapted the way George R.R. Martin wanted, there would have been at least two (possibly three) seasons with no real climax. Irrespective of the quality of the material and the adaptation, Game of Thrones would have been cancelled. Benioff and Weiss were absolutely right to aim for a quicker resolution, despite the problems inherent in that decision.

In theory, I think that Martin's story could be adapted reasonably faithfully by splitting the storylines into about four groups told in separate seasons running in parallel. I can conceive of four fairly coherent seasons with satisfying climaxes. But this would mean having to wait for up to four years for a given storyline to be continued, which is obviously not feasible.

3 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Volumes 4 and 5 of the book series are all building up to climaxes which have mostly been pushed back into Volume 6. If they'd been adapted the way George R.R. Martin wanted, there would have been at least two (possibly three) seasons with no real climax. Irrespective of the quality of the material and the adaptation, Game of Thrones would have been cancelled. Benioff and Weiss were absolutely right to aim for a quicker resolution, despite the problems inherent in that decision.

In theory, I think that Martin's story could be adapted reasonably faithfully by splitting the storylines into about four groups told in separate seasons running in parallel. I can conceive of four fairly coherent seasons with satisfying climaxes. But this would mean having to wait for up to four years for a given storyline to be continued, which is obviously not feasible.

Yes! 

The big problem with the last two books is that they just sort of end. There doesn’t feel like a structure. The battle of Mereen and Stannis battle should have been in the books and they shouldn’t have been split geographically. 

In my re-read I’m going to do Dance and Feast in chronological order to see if that improves them. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

With the show ultimately coming down to being all about Dany, Jon, the three Lannisters and the three Starks, you could almost argue that Stannis, Dorne, and the Boltons could have all been written out and that time could have spent developing where we are at now better instead

I’m interested to see how Stannis, Dorne, Boltons, and Greyjoys get resolved in the books because they’re all fairly boring parts of the books that just meander and don’t seem to have anything to do with the endgame. 

I'm interested in reading the books, but don't really want to bother until I know Book 6 is coming out, since I don't want to read a bunch of setup without the climax.  Even if what happens in Book 6 after those 2 big climaxes is just more setup for climaxes to come in later books, I will be less annoyed by that then slogging through books 4 and 5 without a pay off.

The first 3 books are great! Like. Really really good. 

You’re right to wait for an announcement on Winds though. I think we might get one once the series ends. If it goes beyond this year I don’t think it will ever happen 

I would nearly rather he finished the Dunc and Egg books 😂 I love those 

I read the graphic novel version of book 1 and really enjoyed it.  I think I'll enjoy 1-3 for sure, and will probably have roughly the same opinion on 4-5 and most other people seem to have, but if I at least know when reading them that 6 is out for me to continue with I won't be as annoyed as the fans have been for the past 8 years

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I argue the showrunners didnt really have a clue what they were doing at the time.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

If those spoilers are to be believed then it'll be a gigantic waste of my time! What nonsense! 

I skimmed over them myself. Fuckin' unheard of from me that.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I read the graphic novel version of book 1 and really enjoyed it.  I think I'll enjoy 1-3 for sure, and will probably have roughly the same opinion on 4-5 and most other people seem to have, but if I at least know when reading them that 6 is out for me to continue with I won't be as annoyed as the fans have been for the past 8 years

Well I’m going to try 4 and 5 interlaced this time and hopefully Winds will be along shortly after it. 

A Dream if Soring seems very unlikely at this point but maybe if he can get Winds out of the way he’ll have unraveled all the knots. I remain doubtful though. 

1 minute ago, The Original said:

Will he be around to finish them?

The biggest threat to that eventuality is not the state of his health but the fact that his writing process makes Tristram Shandy's look disciplined. Every time he starts on a new stage of the story, its projected size gets multiplied by three.

I hate to admit it, but their coffee IS damn good, way better than Dunkin (I'll turn in my New Englander card now)

34 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Well I’m going to try 4 and 5 interlaced this time and hopefully Winds will be along shortly after it. 

How are you going about doing that? Will you just go inbetween the two books at the same time, or do you have an ebook that's combined them both? That would definitely be an interesting way of reading it. I wouldn't want to be the one to figure out the right order for them though, lol

Stannis' only contributions are to help Jon up north, introduce the red witch that revives Jon, and give Tyrion some battle experience. 

Dorne is there for Lannister backstory and kill a Lannister girl. 

The Boltons provide a crucible for Sansa and kill a good number of Starks, which motivated Arya to become a killer. 

These plot lines could have been accomplished with other or fewer characters, yes. 

19 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why is everyone suddenly going anti-Daenerys?

It's only really Varys that's suddenly gone anti-Daenerys (so far), isn't it? My main problem with that is that Varys's confidence in Daenerys was rather poorly founded in the first place, in a way which seems very much out of character - an unfortunate consequence of the show's simplification of his agenda from that in the books.

Then, Tyrion. Why does he keep negotiating with Cersei? It’s dangerous, man!

I think he's genuinely trying to prevent the deaths of thousands of civilians.

Then, Bronn. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Surely Bronn is one of the most straightforward characters there is...he has a great facility for doing violence, and uses it to make as much money as he can...

Missandei: Yeah, sad.

Disappointing. She spoke her last word in High Valyrian, but neglected to do her job and follow up with a translation.

21 minutes ago, Fargo said:

How are you going about doing that? Will you just go inbetween the two books at the same time, or do you have an ebook that's combined them both? That would definitely be an interesting way of reading it. I wouldn't want to be the one to figure out the right order for them though, lol

Dont worry, there are plenty of nerds who have already worked it out! 

Yeah. I’ll just swap between books as I read