GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

It has to be accepted that scenes in the TV show are not presented in strictly chronological order (otherwise there are lots of impossible things happening). Littlefinger's talk with Robin Arryn and Yohn Royce in Episode 4 would have to be weeks before his appearance in Mole's Town - probably contemporaneous with some events from the end of Season 5...

So.... Looks like magical time travel is now officially part of this show.

Let the even more insane fan theories commence!

Oh wait.... I think that was already started on ages ago. ;)

Hodor :(

So does this mean the dead Children - and Hodor - will turn into Wights?

Showing the first few lines of posts in that view is simply an option you can turn on or off based on your preference. Click this icon circled second below to swap between either method:

uQYF2pk.jpg

You complained that the view was showing post text; I told you how to turn off that option, and you complain more? WTF?

I am unaware of a way to block specific threads from Unread Content. Though the old version couldn't do that either.

No one at JWFan or anyone at IPBoard has any influence on tapatalk choosing to make their app work with IPBoard 4 or not. You could try writing to tapatalk to see if they are working on it so they know there is interest.

Back to the show.........

One less direwolf left too, damn.

Now only Jon's and Arya's remain, and who knows where hers is.... (Unless that wasn't really Rickon's that the Umbers dropped of....)

I'd hoped the Umbers were playing a trick on Ramsay by delivering him Rickon (and that it wasn't really the direwolf's decapitated head), but Osha's murder and the Castle Black table discussion this episode about all the Northern houses allegiances seemed pretty cut and dry. They truly have pledged to House Bolton.

Doesn't bode well for Rickon at all. Ramsay will not let him live if Jon Snow attempts to siege Winterfell.

Is Rickon even a legitimate bargaining chip for Ramsay at this point? I somehow doubt Sansa or Jon would halt their war preparations or slink back to Castle Black even if Ramsay would threaten to kill Rickon.

https://ventrellaquest.com/tag/game-of-thrones/

Me:  I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator.  It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”

Martin:  (laughing)  You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Is Rickon even a legitimate bargaining chip for Ramsay at this point? I somehow doubt Sansa or Jon would halt their war preparations or slink back to Castle Black even if Ramsay would threaten to kill Rickon.

Ramsay already did threaten Rickon in the pink letter!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ramsay already did threaten Rickon in the pink letter!

And look how well that worked out!

Either there is going to be one spectacular rescue of Rickon or Ramsay will just cut him to ribbons in one of his capricious murderous moods when things take some unfortunate turn in his war against Sansa and Jon.

And I do hope the Starks have learned a thing or two about where too much honour can get them and of being wary of everyone around you as betrayals have been the main cause for their downfall all along the way.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

https://ventrellaquest.com/tag/game-of-thrones/

Me:  I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator.  It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”

Martin:  (laughing)  You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

Heh. A nice story. And he was really close to the truth indeed, spot on in fact.

Yeah that's probably the more likely reason, unrattling and spurring Jon to act rashly. But both Jon and Sansa are thinking things a bit more strategically before giving their answer.

I am curious to know where Yara and Theon are headed now that Crow's Eye has taken over. What is their game plan? To reach Dany before the new king? To build up opposition against him? I was glad to see they had enough sense to flee immediately and not wait to be trapped and killed.

And somehow I thought it very apt that Jack Bender, the director perhaps best known for his job helming more than thirty Lost episodes, should direct this episode involving weird time travel paradox of Bran affecting the past to create the future.

I think the kingsmoot should have been written a little differently. Euron should have talked up Dany and her dragons more, and gotten the whole crowd to be behind using her as a means to their end.

Then be like... Well Theon can't give her an heir.... And neither can Yara..... And that's how he gets selected.

Also it was weird how he casually mentions that he murdered Balon, and that he wants to murder Theon and Yara. Why is everyone ok with that?

And that drowning ceremony was ridiculous. Do half their kings die at the inauguration? I think it would have made more sense if like, the priest guy knows CPR or some old timy version of it and that's how their kings survive this ceremony (unbeknownst to the people)

The novel version was better. This was obviously doing some heavy plot bulldozing to get us to the next phase in the action.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I understand that in the book version, the drowned priest does administer CPR after the drowning coronation?

Yes. And the drowning is part of most of the ceremonies of the Drowned God, not just the coronation. And in a way it is a rite where they see if the god has accepted him as the rightful ruler, drowning unworthy.

It has been a while since I read the book so I don't remember was Euron resuscitated or did he pass the rite on his own.

The version in the series is simplified in many ways, not the least in the fact that Balon had other brothers to contend for the throne of the Iron Isles after his death, whereas in the series they are not even mentioned. Plus the priest shown in the episode might or might not be Aeron Damphair one of Balon's brothers, a priest of the Drowned God and one who opposed the choice of Euron for the throne at kingsmoot.

So here's the thing.  Euron's plan is to build a giant fleet, sail over to Meereen, and offer to marry Dany in exchange for combining their forces to take over Westeros together as king and queen.  OK, no problem.

Now, here's the thing.  Dany's story has been fairly cyclical so far in that she shows up in a place, murders the leaders, and inherits their army.

Is this story line going to end with Dany pretending to accept Euron's proposal, then killing him and inheriting his fleet?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

So here's the thing.  Euron's plan is to build a giant fleet, sail over to Meereen, and offer to marry Dany in exchange for combining their forces to take over Westeros together as king and queen.  OK, no problem.

Now, here's the thing.  Dany's story has been fairly cyclical so far in that she shows up in a place, murders the leaders, and inherits their army.

Is this story line going to end with Dany pretending to accept Euron's proposal, then killing him and inheriting his fleet?

Sounds like a smart move from Dany. A grieving widow sails to Westeros with her inherited fleet. :P 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And how long will it take to build a fleet of 1000 ships anyway? The Iron Island don't even look like they have a lot of trees. It's all a bit sudden and over the top.

Yeah. I thought it was a silly boast from Euron as the isles are not known for their forests. They would have to raid the North for timber to build his dream fleet.

41 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And how long will it take to build a fleet of 1000 ships anyway? The Iron Island don't even look like they have a lot of trees. It's all a bit sudden and over the top.

Indeed.  Which is why I think it would have made more sense to have Balon die and Euron take over sometime in Season 3 or 4, before Stannis' death so Melisandre's leech magic actually made sense.  Then we could catch up with them now in Season 6 when the fleet is finally done construction and they are ready to set sale for Essos

Terrible thought:  What if Arya's final test to prove she's worthy of being a Faceless Man is that she has to kill her dire-wolf? :(

Well they killed the only likeable character left on this show, and I didn't care!  Guess I'm largely over Game of Thrones!

This was a well shot and well-paced episode for the most part, though.

I wonder if she won't soon try to leave the faceless men, since she had doubts about her assignment.

Btw, i have a friend who works as a translator, and he wonders how they are gonna deal with the "Hodor/Hold The Door" angle in foreign dubs....

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Btw, i have a friend who works as a translator, and he wonders how they are gonna deal with the "Hodor/Hold The Door" angle in foreign dubs....

Oh that is going to be a tough one for translators if and when this bit is presented in the upcoming novels.

Forgot to mention that I liked how they cast well-known actors for even the bit parts like Richard E. Grant as the thespian playing King Robert and Australian actress Essie Davis as lady Crane.

Looking forward to seeing British actor James Faulkner as Randall Tarly, Samwell's domineering father in the upcoming episodes.

I think GRRM was just taking a piss with Benioff and Wiess when he told them the origin of Hodor's name, and he's laughing his ass off now that it's show canon :P

How Does Game of Thrones Author George R.R. Martin Really Feel About That Hodor Reveal?

I mean what else is he going to say at this point.

Also, this part of the article:

he even told IGN in February that he had decided to add a twist to his upcoming novel, The Winds of Winter, that the HBO show will never be able to pull off because it killed a character he kept alive in the novels.

I've been saying for years he'd do something like that!

Well the showrunners have very ferociously killed off quite a few characters still left alive in the novels so that was bound to happen.

I probably won't start until at least a release date for the sixth is announced.  I think it will be out before Season 7 starts.

Who knows if he'll ever finish Book 7 before he dies, but we'll always have the show's ending regardless.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Sure, but altering the book BECAUSE of the show is what I don't like.

I would consider it cross-fertilization, where the series gave creative spark to Martin to do something with a character the show had already killed off, not just poking fun at the show runners or robbing them of some nice plot twist. The books were already too sprawling to ever to be featured in their full extent in the series anyway, so some character arcs and story twists were bound to be left off. This is of course a very interesting situation where the TV show based on the novels has gone beyond that source material before the author has finished his work so the roadmap is less definite and the longer the show goes on without Martin catching up, the more it will deviate from the author's vision in details, large and small.

Martin has often talked about his approach into creating these novels, mentioning two broad categories of writers based on the style they approach their writing, the architects and the gardeners, saying he belongs to the latter:

I think there are two types of writers, the architects and the gardeners. The architects plan everything ahead of time, like an architect building a house. They know how many rooms are going to be in the house, what kind of roof they're going to have, where the wires are going to run, what kind of plumbing there's going to be. They have the whole thing designed and blueprinted out before they even nail the first board up. The gardeners dig a hole, drop in a seed and water it. They kind of know what seed it is, they know if planted a fantasy seed or mystery seed or whatever. But as the plant comes up and they water it, they don't know how many branches it's going to have, they find out as it grows. And I'm much more a gardener than an architect.

This is perhaps why such expansive creation tends to sprout a lot of branches unforeseen by the author and thus it takes perhaps more time to follow all these various plot twists, half-mentioned stories, legends and personages and find them a place in the main storyline of the novels. Some of these, to continue the gardener analogy, bear fruit in abundance and others just wither away and die without giving much to the overall creation except perhaps a small diversion and touch of verisimilitude with reality which is full of stories that lead nowhere. But this cultivating approach can produce a lot of meanders in a river which should perhaps flow in a straighter line and not all of these meanders are very integral to the story.

Martin has in his own words an overall picture of where the story will lead in terms of major events that will take place but as with most writers the details of how to get to these pivotal moments are very much in the dark until he puts them to paper. Alas as of May 2016 he is still not finished with the Winds of Winter.

So after seeing this week's episode, entirely on my own I came up with a theory that

(spoiler-blocking anyway, even though its pure speculation)

Spoiler

Bran's Uncle Benjen Stark will show up next week to help Bran and Meera.  I mean, think about it;  They are alone in the woods, Bran can't walk, Meera can only drag him for so long, and Hodor holding that door will only delay the wights not stop them.  They're gonna need SOME assistance or they are dead meat.  About the only character that we already know about that COULD come to their rescue is Benjen, and him re-appearing now makes a lot more sense than a brand new character showing up.

Anyways, just found this article now that has a pretty convincing argument for me being right :)

CLICKY (spoiler warning: Contains information from IMDB and the "next time on GOT" preview for next week's episode)