GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Cool stuff:

missing-image.svg

The Princess Myrcella died by poison on our return journey. I suspect Ellaria not you, but my sister will demand war. I doubt Ellaria’s head will appease her but it is a start, a long with your nieces. Your son cannot stay in King’s Landing. I am sending him back on the same ship. 

Jaime's in for a disappointment as we now know he's not getting Ellaria's head (yet) and Prince Trystane certainly won't be making it back to Dorne alive. The Making of Game of Thrones blog also release images of the hidden knife Ellaria used to stab the Prince.

missing-image.svg

missing-image.svg

http://www.gamesradar.com/read-the-game-of-thrones-letter-that-caused-that-season-6-moment/

The show didn't make it clear that it was Jamie that wrote to Doran, right?  And the note explains why Trystane was still on the same boat (but not how the sand snakes caught up to it)

Honest Trailer for Seasons 4 and 5 is up:

It's hilarious

WARNING: CONTAINS ONE SHOT FROM THE SEASON 6 PREMIERE!

And here's their season 1-3 trailer if you haven't seen that one yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaD8rouJn0

So, Melisandre had a scene in Season 4 where she didn't wear her choker and we saw her as her normal young self:

WARNING: NSFW (Nudity)

So I guess the spell or whatever that makes her look young isn't simply if she's wearing it or not.  The  removal of it in this episode was likely just symbolic; She had lost faith in her god and was at a loss at what to do now.

That is very much likely.

But it was never shown or stated the necklace was connected to how she looked. She just took it off with her clothes before going to her bed. Perhaps her faltering faith caused her to shed her glamours and feel her age.

Then again I found it always tragic how Melisandre took upon herself to fashion the heroic saviour from a person who was not destined to be one and how fatally her pushing the omens and signs to point to Stannis continued to falter at every step and how she still believed in her vision for him. It's interesting commentary on Martin's part on the strength of omens and prophecies and how such misinterpretation and forceful manipulation to make them true or fulfilling them by actively shaping people and events to fit the propechy has such horrible consequences.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

It's interesting commentary on Martin's part on the strength of omens and prophecies and how such misinterpretation and forceful manipulation to make them true or fulfilling them by actively shaping people and events to fit the propechy has such horrible consequences.

Eh, hardly an original or forward thinking idea from Martin though. Been done since the birth of story telling. 

19 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Eh, hardly an original or forward thinking idea from Martin though. Been done since the birth of story telling. 

Nihil novi sub sole amice. Nihil novi. I was just commenting on that it is an interesting thematic element, not that it is hugely original or forward thinking. Although usually myth and legends focus on fulfilling prophecies and their inexorable nature, that a person can't escape his destiny and how the prophecy takes a form that the person running away from it didn't expect largely to due to their actions to subvert it, which actually is one of the main causes of the the prophecy being fulfilled.

I think Martin also tries to imply that these grand prophecies might not be true and are just folk belief, which is usually the opposite of the fantasy literature genre where the miller's sons always become the Chosen Ones to defeat the evil in the world because it was prophecied long ago.

29 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

After the last two books I just try and shy away from giving Martin any credit. 

Yeah the meanders seem to grow alarmingly in them don't they. And to the detriment of the main narrative.

The Dorne stuff on TV is awful but in the book... You don't introduce new plots and characters that late in your series. Awful stuff.

Tyrion's journey to Mereen. Dear God...

7 hours ago, KK said:

So...it happened.

It is known!

I thought the whole episode was scored fairly decently actually.

Just now, Glóin the Dark said:

Finally! Hodor spoke a complete sentence!

Hodor!

1 hour ago, KK said:

I thought the whole episode was scored fairly decently actually.

Decent doesn't cut it! I demand excellence!

I really dig the two main teams that have formed.  Jon, Davos, Tormund, Mel, the non-scumbag Brothers, etc.  And Dany, Tyrion, Jorah, Varys, etc.  I like that things are finally coming together.

9 hours ago, KK said:

So...it happened.

Spoiler

Dead is dead. You don't get to come back from that, not even here. So the fact that John Locke Jon Snow is walking around this Island Westeros... scares the living hell out of me.  ;)

Karol

Just watched episode 2: That was awesome!  One of the best episodes of the show yet!

Just saw this and it made me laugh

gfkdaldfafsdfs.jpg

There's a video too:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/01/game-thrones-jon-snow-harington-alive

There were some surprising exits from the series in the second episode. Or rather I was surprised they came at this point, not that they happened.

Spoiler

I was sad to see Patrick Malahide as papa Greyjoy go as he is such a great character actor and he does play villains with brilliant glowering scornful aplomp. Also Roose Bolton's actor Michael McElhatton did a great job portraying the cold calculating soft voiced tyrant. I find it a bit hard to believe he should have fallen to such a crude attempt on his life but I guess he overestimated the fear he held over his bastard son.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

There were some surprising exits from the series in the second episode. Or rather I was surprised they came at this point, not that they happened.

Hide contents

I was sad to see Patrick Malahide as papa Greyjoy go as he is such a great character actor and he does play villains with brilliant glowering scornful aplomp. Also Roose Bolton's actor Michael McElhatton did a great job portraying the cold calculating soft voiced tyrant. I find it a bit hard to believe he should have fallen to such a crude attempt on his life but I guess he overestimated the fear he held over his bastard son.

Both are people who could have read the phone book and made it awesome.

Guys there's no need to spoiler-block things that have already aired

You only need to spoiler-block things shown in the preview for next week, spoilers from the filming of the show, and book knowledge that could predict what will happen on the show

"Inside the Top Secret" plan that everyone basically knew and no one was really surprised by.  I don't even watch the show and I figured the guy was coming back.

I've been having fun with my GOT friends saying I thought it would be hilarious if after all of this waiting and anticipation, that he should be immediately killed in the next episode.

12 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I've been having fun with my GOT friends saying I thought it would be hilarious if after all of this waiting and anticipation, that he should be immediately killed in the next episode.

Accidental arrow to the chest. BAM! Gone like the snows of the yesteryear.

Just now, Incanus said:

Hide contents

I would much prefer Greyjoy's death in the novels. It's more in line with the series' recurring play on prophecy vs reality. His death here seemed more like a convenient plot device. But agreed, shame to see another actor go, along side Roose Bolton. I hope the season slows down a bit with all the "shocker deaths" and gives us something meatier soon.

Well they have taken out three major power players in the first two episodes, Doran Martell, Roose Bolton and Balon Greyjoy but in their place rise the Sand Snakes, Ramsay Bolton and Euron Greyjoy.

The Sand Snakes were a disappointment right from their debut in the previous season. Ramsay is beginning to bore me, he needs a proper rival soon! And I'm curious to see where the Greyjoys plotline go now that they've seemingly eliminated the extensive Dornish/Targaryen subplot.

38 minutes ago, KK said:

The Sand Snakes were a disappointment right from their debut in the previous season. Ramsay is beginning to bore me, he needs a proper rival soon! And I'm curious to see where the Greyjoys plotline go now that they've seemingly eliminated the extensive Dornish/Targaryen subplot.

Yeah the Dorne subplot was seriously subverted in the series and Bolton Jr. is indeed getting a bit on the one note. Greyjoy plotline might actually be the most interesting one of the three.

I am looking forward to seeing how Samwell is doing in Old Town if and when he gets there. Purportedly James Faulkner will play his father Randall Tarly which is a great casting choice as Faulkner has played his fair share of villains and stern men during his career.

Balon's death and Jon's resurection probably coincide to reinforce Mel's beliefs after the Stannis failure.  

I was going to mention that.  Way, way back in Season 3, when The War of Five Kings was down to only Four Kings after Melisandre's magic killed Renly, she used the blood of Robert Baratheon's bastard Gendry to burn 3 leeches in a fire, one each for the other three non-Stannis kings: Robb, Joffrey, and Balon Greyjoy.  Robb died in the next episode at the red wedding, and then Joffrey died 5 episodes after that at his wedding.  Wouldn't it have made sense for Balon Greyjoy to die next, before Stannis?  IIRC, in the books Balon dies even before Robb!

It seems odd to me that hte showrunners delayed his death all the way into season 6.  I've read others say that its to restore Melisandre's faith in her magic, but she has no idea Balon is dead yet!

Now we've got a situation where the War Of Five Kings officially ends in the show with a whimper as Balon flies off a bridge, instead of it ending with Stannis's beheading after a big battle at Winterfell which would have made more sense.  Oh well.

I think they just screwed up with that whole storyline and weren't sure how to go about it. Now having realized they needed to now get rid of Balon somehow, he took a convenient fall down the bridge.

But don't you agree it would have made more sense for Balon to have been killed near the same time Joffrey and Robb were, to give Stannis the ultimate confidence that Melisandre's magic was working and defeating all his enemies?  And that all he had to do was take over Winterfell, and then use his new combined forces to take over King's Landing?

It's the implications for the Euron aspect of the story that made an early Balon death problematic. They didn't want to bring his character into the story so early. If Balon had died in Season 3 or 4 then the Kingsmoot would have to have occurred shortly after, or been omitted altogether. All things considered, the deferral was probably wise.

And they could have stilled picked up the rest of the story now (Euron Greyjoy taking over), basically saying he's been doing stuff behind the scenes since Balon died that we haven't seen much of, etc

Just now, Jay said:

But don't you agree it would have made more sense for Balon to have been killed near the same time Joffrey and Robb were, to give Stannis the ultimate confidence that Melisandre's magic was working and defeating all his enemies?  And that all he had to do was take over Winterfell, and then use his new combined forces to take over King's Landing?

Oh I definitely agree with you. As I mentioned above, having Balon's death timed around that would have been more in line with the show/books' recurring theme of prophecy/fantasy/magic vs. reality. And like you said, we could have just taken a bit of a hiatus with the Greyjoy storyline until the Kingsmoot plot could fit in better with the show.

The Greyjoy plot has always been a bit of a mess really. But I'm curious to see where they plan to take it this season.

Actually, I think its pretty obvious where it's going:

In episode 1 of this season, Mereen's fleet was destroyed

In episode 2, we're re-introduced to the Iron Islands, who are ship masters more comfortable on sea than on land....

So I think The Greyjoys will team up with Danaerys (once she gets back to Mereen) and try to take over the Iron Throne together

I find it hard to buy the idea of Balon's murder happening back in Season 4 and then being followed by a long hiatus before returning for the Kingsmoot. It's also fairly natural that they wanted to show Euron himself committing the murder, so doing it back then would have required the casting of an actor for a major role but with only one scene before his character was put on hiatus. (They had to do that with the Three-Eyed Crow, but it wasn't really avoidable in that case.) It's better to have Euron's reappearance, Balon's murder, the Kingsmoot and its ramifications as one coherent strand of the story, which means Balon has to live a bit longer than in the book.

I think it's appropriate that the War of the Five Kings goes out with a whimper. It doesn't deserve a grand climax. It's the period of social and political degeneration in the Seven Kingdoms which is ultimately to be subsumed by other catastrophic threats.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

So I think The Greyjoys will team up with Danaerys (once she gets back to Mereen) and try to take over the Iron Throne together

No doubt there'll be interaction between them, but it's still rather mysterious what form it will take. Will the Greyjoys all be on the same side? Will Euron be backing Daenerys for the Iron Throne? If he's participating in the Kingsmoot, then that means that he denies the Iron Throne's claim over the Iron Islands. Does he want the dragons for himself?

3 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I find it hard to buy the idea of Balon's murder happening back in Season 4 and then being followed by a long hiatus before returning for the Kingsmoot. It's also fairly natural that they wanted to show Euron himself committing the murder, so doing it back then would have required the casting of an actor for a major role but with only one scene before his character was put on hiatus. (They had to do that with the Three-Eyed Crow, but it wasn't really avoidable in that case.) It's better to have Euron's reappearance, Balon's murder, the Kingsmoot and its ramifications as one coherent strand of the story, which means Balon has to live a bit longer than in the book.

OK, that's a valid explanation for why the showrunners might haven chosen to keep Balon alive as long as they did.  BUT perhaps it would have made sense to show us the Greyjoy storyline they're showing us now this season in Season 5 instead, replacing the Dorne storyline entirely?  Because so far, that storyline has had no impact on anything other than a way to off Jamie and Cercei's daughter.

I think it's appropriate that the War of the Five Kings goes out with a whimper. It doesn't deserve a grand climax. It's the period of social and political degeneration in the Seven Kingdoms which is ultimately to be subsumed by other catastrophic threats.

I dunno. I think I would have preferred to see Melisandre's magic "work", with the 3 false kings killed after the leeches, and then have The War of The Five Kings officially ending with the Battle of Winterfell.

No doubt there'll be interaction between them, but it's still rather mysterious what form it will take. Will the Greyjoys all be on the same side? Will Euron be backing Daenerys for the Iron Throne? If he's participating in the Kingsmoot, then that means that he denies the Iron Throne's claim over the Iron Islands. Does he want the dragons for himself?

Totally agreed, the possibilities of the Greyjoy storyline are actually one of the most interesting potential storylines right now - much more interesting that Ramsay taking over the North, and the Stand Snakes taking over the south.  Also more interesting that Dany's going to that Kaleesi widow grieving place, or Arya's endless training that's totally disconnected from everything else, or Cercei's story which has no clear forward momentum yet, or Tyrion and Varys keeping Meereen in order (a place that really has no significance to anything other than it was wear Dany happened to try to learn how to be a queen...  Once she goes to the Iron Throne, why will anyone care about Meereen at all?)  I really am curious to see what happens at the Iron Islands next!

Caught up with the first two eps. All in all pretty good.

Not hugely fast paced, but that is impossible with all the story threads they have, but I wasnt bored for a minute.

Jon Snow not being dead was of course the worst kept secret since...Cumberbatch playing Khan, but the scene itself is effectively done. Carice van Houten's Mellisandre appears vulnerable for the first time.

Interesting flashback of Winterfell, Nedd, Hodor etc in happier times. I assume we will have more of this now.

Curious to see that without having to follow the published books if there will be a bit less meandering.