GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Wouldn't feel right to set a series after the events of A Song of Ice and Fire.

I agree. Also, I'd be surprised if any of these writers (even Martin) know how Game of Thrones will end in enough detail to be working on a direct follow up.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm betting the showrunners have it pretty well mapped out at this point.

Oh, yeah...Benioff and Weiss will certainly know exactly how it's going to end, and probably Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill too. But none of these are writers for the four projects in development, according to the article. It does say that Benioff and Weiss are involved as executive producers for some of them, so it's conceivable that they might bring its writer(s) into their exclusive club for the sake of developing a "sequel". But, as you said, a follow-up to the "Song of Ice and Fire" story doesn't feel appropriate. Not a direct follow-up, anyway; perhaps something set a very long time after it could work...

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

As was already suggested by Gloin, there's a better option: Westworlderos

Actually, if I remember rightly, it was reported that George R. R. Martin pitched the idea of a Westworld / Game of Thrones crossover directly to Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. I don't think they bought it...

• 2 weeks later...

Remind me, when is the next season starting again?

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

July 16.

Thanks BB!

If only Martin was as quick a writer as the showrunners. Now that he is supervising four spin-offs he'll never be able to finish the last two books in the next ten years.

People actually expect Winds of Winter will get released? Ha!

No, once the tv series is over the books will be allowed to go quietly out of print and GRRM will never mention them again and people will forget the books ever even existed.

in most cases this would be tragic. But Feast for Crows was a thing so I'll not mourn their passing. 

20 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hmm, this was one of my problems with season 6 actually. So while the trailer looks fantastic in terms of production values, I hope the actual story is told well.

17 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

in most cases this would be tragic. But Feast for Crows was a thing so I'll not mourn their passing. 

Hey, that book had its highlights!

I agree. The way they've condensed certain storylines and characters have made them less interesting than they used to be. My fear for this season is that instant entertainment will be given preference over substance.

But I am optimistic. I'm sure it'll be some damn entertaining television.

On the positive side, the various threads of the story are sure to congeal into much a smaller set during these seven episodes. That could reduce the risk of scenes and storylines being fudged due to the sort of compression that has been a problem over the last few seasons.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm starting to think the Walkers won't cross the Wall this season..

That would be my bet for the final scene; cliffhanger for the final batch of episodes next year.

They've usually avoided ending seasons with cliffhangers, which is good, but this year is an exceptional case. For official purposes this is the penultimate season but, in reality, it is just the first half of what was always planned as the final (seventh) season. I think the structure will reflect that...

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Good point.

Though I still expect some characters to travel thousands of miles within just 5 minutes of an episode, while others will need 5 episodes to go through the same distance.

True, though they've done that since the beginning. It's just that people have started to notice lately!

I'm also just not sure that the Walkers coming below the Wall is a state of affairs that would be sustainable over multiple seasons or it would lose its sense of urgency.  That's a story development that would call for fast paced storytelling in my opinion.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Hey, that book had its highlights!

Yeah, I suppose the fact there was an ending was a highlight!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The further they've had to stray from Martin's source and the more they've had to compress things, the less elegant, less interesting it's gotten.

True but at the exact same point the books went to crap too. Martin having not planned out things in advance and allowing the story to expand and expand until it got too big for him contributed to that.

i think the show did an admirable job of trying to salvage his mess but it's just been too big. 

I kept track of the amount of screen time allotted to the various threads of the story when Season 6 was first shown, and have only just gotten around to tallying up the results. It seems best to view the season as comprising three main blocks, each dominated by a pair of main characters: the North (where Jon and Sansa's respective threads merge early in the season), the East (where Daenerys and Tyrion's storylines are interdependent yet separate until they converge near the end), and the South (in which the storylines of Cersei and Jaime begin and end together, but are separated in the middle by Jaime's Riverlands loop).

In addition to the main blocks, there are five major characters borne along in their own "satellite" threads (Arya, Bran, Theon, Sam and the Hound) and some brief interludes in Dorne. The only one of these which is awkward for the subdivision is Theon's, as his thread significantly overlaps with both Sansa's and Daenerys/Tyrion's. I thought it best not to exclude those overlaps from the time allocated to Theon, so a few scenes are getting counted twice in the timings below; that's why the percentages add up to 103.

(Minutes are rounded to the nearest multiple of 5, percentages to the nearest integer.)

Season 6

MAIN BLOCKS

• Jon and Sansa: 155 mins (30%)
  • Cersei and Jaime: 125 mins (24%)
  • Daenerys and Tyrion: 95 mins (18%)

SATELLITE THREADS

• Arya: 45 mins (9%)
  • Bran: 40 mins (7%)
  • Theon: 40 mins (7%)
  • Sam: 20 mins (4%)
  • The Hound: 20 mins (3%)
  • Dorne: 5 mins (1%)