GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

2 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

That last suggestion should have spoiler tags!

Another important point is that Martin seems to plant seeds for things just in case he later wants them to sprout. There are lots of hints in the early books pointing towards Tyrion being a Targaryen, but I think most people agree that, by the time Tyrion killed Tywin, Martin had decided that they really were father and son. It might be that he didn't have a clear idea himself of how Jon's parentage would impact the story in the early stages. Maybe he still doesn't!

He definitely hasn't a clue how to resolve all the tangled storylines he's created or we'd have seen Winds by now. 

7 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

He definitely hasn't a clue how to resolve all the tangled storylines he's created or we'd have seen Winds by now. 

Personally, I can't help imagining him being plunged into a new cycle of rewrites after he sees the audience reaction to each episode of the show. Dammit, I'd better change this wedding night chapter!, etc.

Just now, Glóin the Dark said:

Personally, I can't help imagining him being plunged into a new cycle of rewrites after he sees the audience reaction to each episode of the show. Dammit, I'd better change this wedding night chapter!, etc.

It is tempting to blame the show alright but Feast For Crows saw massive delays and lack of quality and that was before the show even aired! 

He made a balls of it by not going with the time jump and I don't think he's properly recovered from it. 

19 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I absolutely think the show, and reactions by its audience, if affecting the writing of the rest of the story.

What if the point of Jon Snow's Targaryen heritage is to take over the dragons in the event that Dany is killed in her conquest?  Then, bastard or not, he would be the last of his family and true heir to the throne... 

... Assuming that the population would accept the truth about the bastard and be okay with the Targaryens returning to power after decades. 

At least with Dany, there could be rumors of her motherly benevolence and sense of justice that sound better than Robert's widow continuing to sit on the Throne. 

The more I read about the Targaryen family, it's fascinating that if you go back far enough, the founder of House Baratheon was a bastard brother of Aegon I, making Baratheons an unacknowledged cadet dynasty of House Targaryen. It doesn't matter because Robert still led his rebellion. 

Targaryens did pass power on the male heirs, so Jon would be in front of his Aunt Daenerys. If he could get a king to erase his bastard status and become Targaryen. He could do that, as king of the north.

Trouble is, he doesn't have as big an army as Dany, and he doesn't have dragons. She could snuff out his claim if she wanted, assuming the dragons would attack a fellow Targ. Becoming king in this delicate situation is less about who has legal claim and more about who can rally the support of lesser lords. Remember that there was no Iron Throne before the Targaryens conquered Westeros and forged it. It's theirs.

King's Landing is a Baratheon-Lannister enterprise and has been for decades. Dany has an army. By the time Jon shifts his attention to the Iron Throne, something he has no eye on, he'll be lucky to survive the WW attack. 

3 hours ago, KK said:

Boy, this show can be pretty predictable when you really think about it eh?

The main dramatic achilles heel of this type of fiction when it plays the long game. People will very likely guess how it's all going to end, because at the end of the day Game of Thrones is just as conventional as The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars or Harry Potter. I still think this should have been wrapped up sooner than it is.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Just thought of something: what if Arya kills Ed Sheeran's character, and uses his face to get near Cersei and kill her? Meaning Ed Sheeran would play Arya throughout Season 7!

Oh my...

You've had enough to drink. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think Sheeran is being groomed in this, being lined up to take over from Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

Meh. 

17 hours ago, Woj said:

What if the point of Jon Snow's Targaryen heritage is to take over the dragons in the event that Dany is killed in her conquest?  Then, bastard or not, he would be the last of his family and true heir to the throne... 

... Assuming that the population would accept the truth about the bastard and be okay with the Targaryens returning to power after decades. 

That's something I was wondering about.  Even though Bran saw in perfect irrefutable detail that Jon Snow is actually Lyanna Stark's son, how does that fact actually get proven to anyone else in the world?

If a dragon breathed fire on Jon, would he be injured, or is that unique to "pureblood" Taragaryens?  Or unique to Dany as their mother?

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Just thought of something: what if Arya kills Ed Sheeran's character, and uses his face to get near Cersei and kill her? Meaning Ed Sheeran would play Arya throughout Season 7!

Oh my...

I think if Arya takes any of their faces to infiltrate King's Landing, it would be one of the other guys who did more talking, not Sheeran's character.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Even though Bran saw in perfect irrefutable detail that Jon Snow is actually Lyanna Stark's son, how does that fact actually get proven to anyone else in the world?

Bran will assemble a montage of images to be shown to everyone - it'll show Ned and Lyanna, a close-up of Lyanna's kid, and then a sudden cut to the adult Jon Snow just as the music climaxes with the Stark theme. Nobody could doubt it then.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

If a dragon breathed fire on Jon, would he be injured, or is that unique to "pureblood" Taragaryens?  Or unique to Dany as their mother?

That will be a matter for Benioff and Weiss, depending on how they need things to work for the plot! In the books, even Daenerys is not immune to fire (not even to her dragons' fire).

Speaking of montages, I think the one of Sam Tarly channeling Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs in the Citadel nursing home was disturbing but entertaining. 

Looks like the same thing we got on HBO Now after the episode ended.  I liked that they showed Arya and The Hound with the villager clip, it had been years since I saw that and didn't really remember the specifics about the house in the new episode

A reoccurring problem, that.

15 hours ago, Woj said:

Speaking of montages, I think the one of Sam Tarly channeling Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs in the Citadel nursing home was disturbing but entertaining. 

It's been years, but that was possibly the most amusing moment in GoT history.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I guess Theon is OK as a character, but the rest of them...

Reek was an interesting character, Theon not so much.  Or I guess the push-pull between them was interesting.

"You don't see one black person in Lord of the Rings."

Lol good grief!! :rolleyes:

Whoa!  New trailer.  This is official HBO footage, which I don't consider spoiler, but be warned.

If someone can find on Youtube, I'll replace the embedded tweet.

D'oh! I succumbed to temptation and watched, and its spoiler-ific

The biggest being that we see where the red witch ends up.  D'oh!

Still not enough snow everywhere!

It's on youtube

As I said before, the pull between Reek and Theon (basically the trauma he can't escape) is the most interesting thing about the Greyjoy family's storyline, so it was an interesting development to see Reek rear his pathetic head again.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

- Two out of three Sand Snakes out! Yay!

Pretty much.  Can't wait for every Dornish character to be dead already.  I literally groaned when that stupid woman showed up in the strategy meeting.

Greyworm-Missandei storyline continues to be a snooze.

Is every episode this season going to feature Samwell doing something digusting?  I hope so!

Littlefinger continues to be an irritating character.

Arya continues to be a highlight of each episode.

Nice transitions too in this episode. I always thought for all of GoT production value and budget it lacked any style of its own. With LotR you could tell that they were made by Peter Jackson, with cinematography etc. GoT seems anonymous with sometimes visually interesting compositions, but no style to weave it all together.

2 minutes ago, RPurton said:

Nice transitions too in this episode

Sometimes they veered a little too close to "cute" but they were certainly a notable stylistic choice, which I agree not every GoT episode has.