GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Ha, I just googled it actually and it turns out I'm not exactly the first person to think it up like I thought I was (for about 5 minutes). 

Re: JWFan from a computer - I'm not too sure. Seems like maybe weeks or months. 

I like the track "The Queen's Justice". It's petty much just a Castamere variant that ends up as a standard Castamere variant but it's as good as things get. 

Well boys, we're about 3 hours away from the season finale. 

Any last predictions? 

Not about what will happen plot wise, but I guess how satisfied you'll be, with the episode and the season as a whole? 

I don't think it will be like season 5's finale, that put most all of the characters in a kind of cliffhanger ending, nor like last year's finale which wrapped up many season long arcs and set up a lot of new characters on a new path. 

I mean, this season doesn't really have any long, developed arcs. Just grand plans (Daenerys wanting to be queen, but basically has a new plan every week... Cersei wants to stay queen, but kind of just reacts to what Dae wrys does... Whatever the fuck is going on at Winterfell).  A lot of these problems are really caused by the show continuing to waffle between "OMG the Walkers are marching south and have a HUGE army... and giants!" and "oh, our heros tussle with some more of them but it was fine, they made it out alive except for this one minor character". 

What I mean is, the show continually tries to make them seem like this huge and most importantly IMMINENT threat, but then goes episode after episode without showing them do anything. I doubt they'll do anything tonight actually except maybe breach the wall, but I doubt we'll see any battles with them.

Anyways, here's a bunch of random possibilities and whether or not I think they'll happen. 

We'll see Grey Worm, Melisandre, or Jaqen Hagar - no

The Hound will see The Mountain  and realize he's "alive" - yes

The Hound will fight The Mountain - no

Tyrion will have a dialogue with Cersei - 60% chance 

Sam and Gilly will revisit the book and understand the revelation - probably 

Bran will tell someone about Jon's mother being Lyanna - probably

Jon Snow finding out either of the above - probably not... The writers seems to want to drag this out. 

Brienne "leaves" per Sansa's orders, but actually circles back and uncovers what Littlefinger is up to - I hope so but I doubt it

Arya and Sansa are actually not mad at each other and are playing Littlefinger - I hope so but I doubt it

Littlefinger's plan almost works but is undone last minute in some stupid way - probably

Littlefinger dies - I dunno. I'm 50 50 on it. 

Is Ramin Djawadi the worst action composer of all time? Probably considering the hamfisted casio wank he has done for GOT. Yes, he pulls himself out of the stupor for a couple of choral cues a season but the battle source music - fuck. A computer game designer in darkest Siberia would reject that crap. How is he allowed to get away with this.

I like Jeremy Podeswa's work so far, so I'm fairly hopeful that the episode will be good. Not Sapochnik-good, but you can't have everything...

I've been anticipating, ever since they announced the "eight-season" structure, that Season 7 would be an extended semi-season in reality, and the episodes till now seem to back that up. So I don't expect to get the sense of conclusiveness that came with the end of Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. This one should be more like the end of Season 5, but with fewer cliffhangers

I'm certain we'll enjoy the finale throughly.  No plothole grubbing or past glory griping in the Pilgrim household, we're just enjoying the ride.  Same with Twin Peaks.  A bit bittersweet to realize this show is now so close to the end, and that TP is in all likelihood as well.

I must admit I have pretty low expectations of it being able to be engaging at all.  Unlike many it seems, I didn't find last week's episode very entertaining even ignoring the more questionable plot mechanics.  Not one character interaction was satisfying in any way.  I'm especially pissed with the Winterfell plotline.

Caught up.

The spectacle is very engaging. But the writing has seriously taken a nosedive.

While at Ren's i spend 10 days watching along with where they are at. Late season 3 till mid season 4. I forgot how effective the Red Wedding was. I forgot about Ygritte lol.

Back to season 7. The pacing, which used to be snails pace has now gone the other direction completely. Characters are now able to travel from Dragonstone to Kingslanding to the Wall in one episode. The dialogue is obvious and on the nose. It's all so obvious.

Did Jason really say this could be the best season yet?

Dude I said that like, 2 episodes in

I mean, you can scroll back and read how many problems I had with last week's ep. 

I tried, but its about 15 pages and im still on holiday.

Some pretty awful small universe syndrome writing in the last ep. Tarmund and The Hound talking about Brienne for instance.

Looked like everyone on that mission knew someone who was close to someone else in tgat group. "I admired your father...etc"

Geez they've shrunk this down.

The Wall destruction sequence was indeed cool as hell, from the army coming out of the forest to the end.  Not so sure about the rest of the episode.  Some good, some bad, a lot of "Ehhhh."

It was a lot of Meh until Arya's trial. Then it picked up. I dismissed Euron's departure too quickly, and didn't reevaluate it when Theon had his beach fight. 

I can't wait until someone mashes the final few minutes with John Mellencamp's Crumblin' Down. 

Well, that was pretty good.  Prettay, prettay, prettay good.

I found Littlefinger's trial and execution immensely satisfying.  Aidan Gillen really played it perfectly - the only time we've ever seen him not on top of things.  Really, really well done.  I'm glad the Stark sisters ultimately didn't fall to his bullshit (and his "plan" still doesn't seem to really have ever had any good core to it at all), but it is a bit off that it seems Sansa never picked up on his plans until their "imagine your enemy's worst motivations" conversation, meaning everything from every episode prior WAS them falling for his shit.  Oh well.

I also found the dragonpit sequence incredibly well done.  I had to stop and think about how for years, the story has been one of detailed politics, with tons of different sides - I mean, at one point this was "The War Of The Five Kings" after all.  And now, in the pit, it all came down to two sides!  All the characters from all the entire history of the show - that are still alive - are all on either Team Daenerys or Team Cersei.  Was pretty neat to see them all in one place like that.  

And yea, I guess Grey Worm returned from Casterly Rock after all.  I wonder if there's a deleted scene of him and Missandei reuniting

Sam and Bran's conversation was pretty neat, though of course, extremely rushed.  John Bradley-West's acting was so fun when he was all "... I don't know what that means".   And of course Bran's powers continue to be confusing (why could see see the entire Tower of Joy scene before, but not here what she whispered until now, and why did he not ever see Lyanna and Rhaegar's wedding until Sam told him about it), but whatever.  The kind of icky was was cross cutting to Jon & Dany shagging as we hear two characters talk to each other about how they're related.  I don't know if the writer's intentions for that really make any sense to me (they said on the "Inside the Episode" that the fact that he's the true heir would be a conflict but I don't know how covering it while they're shagging is really all that effective).

The wall coming down was really neat.  I guess a Wight Dragon breathes fire after all.  I don't really understand why we don't know the fate of Tormund and Berric, though.  I think, honestly, that everyone at Eastwatch probably just died, but why not make that clear by showing the two named characters there dying.  Also, is there a strategic reason why they'd breach the wall at one side, by the ocean, instead of more in the middle?  I mean, why even do it at a manned post, instead of in between two posts?

Anyways, minor niggles aside, I am quite satisfied by the episode.  It makes a lot of stupid stuff from earlier episodes easier to swallow when you know it was just rushed writing to get to the payoff they wanted..... and I liked the payoff.

Also:

4 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I've been anticipating, ever since they announced the "eight-season" structure, that Season 7 would be an extended semi-season in reality, and the episodes till now seem to back that up. So I don't expect to get the sense of conclusiveness that came with the end of Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. This one should be more like the end of Season 5, but with fewer cliffhangers

Absolutely totally disagree.    This was absolutely in no way an "extended semi-season", this was absolutely a "shrunken full season".

It absolutely feels to me like a normal amount of plot and everything else for a normal 10 episodes happened, but they just cut all the character development, nuisance, foreshadowing, etc out to have it only be 7.  I mean, all the plot points and character paths make sense, and are fine, its just that they had to give such brief and un-explained (or un-thought-out) reasons for some of these plot points happening with 7 eps instead of 10 that is the major flaw this season has, for sure.

I think if they had given this season the full 10 episode treatment... even if we had to wait longer to get it, even if HBO had to either spend more money to make it happen that way, or spread the budget they gave them for 7 out to 10 - I think ultimately it would have been more satisfying that way, for sure, no doubt in my mind at all.  

6 eps to go!

I'd like to think that Sansa and Arya were playing Littlefinger all season. I've read blogs that indicate as much. They argued loudly, they kept the door open, things like that. I was truly surprised when Sansa accused Baelish instead of Arya, although charges of murdered did not make sense. Arya never killed anyone loyal to House Stark. 

I think it's possible they had doubts about Littlefinger updates until Littlefinger's speech tonight, and they talked to Bran about that off camera, in order to keep the audience in the dark. He would have revealed all. 

At the same time, Bran may have not known about the annulment because he never thought about it, so he never explored that specific point in time and space. He assumed that his aunt was kidnapped and rape because that's what he had been told by his entire family his entire life. He accepted it as truth. He had no reason to doubt it, so he did not look at it. Until this mutual friend of Jon makes the long trip to Winterfell to talk to Jon, instead of going to House Tarly to console his mother (he might still not know about Dickon and his father, but that's irrelevant). And it's not really icky having aunt and nephew screw in bed since Targaryens do incessant all the time. Jon may feel differently having Stark values, and the other houses may not like that being in the open, but I doubt both characters will survive to the end of the story. This might suggest that. 

I think the strategic decision to attack the Eastwatch part of the wall is because that's where the army of the dead was! Our heroes marched north from there to find them, so the Night King just followed them straight south. Why would they march all the way west to Castle Black, then double back? They wasted six years dawdling as it stands. 

Besides, it makes sense that Beric and Tormund stayed at Eastwatch since it takes five minutes to get a raven to Dragonstone and their queen from there. 

Well, I just noticed it says season 7 on the bottom, not season 8.  Definitely fan art.  Well made, though!

16 minutes ago, Woj said:

I'd like to think that Sansa and Arya were playing Littlefinger all season. I've read blogs that indicate as much. They argued loudly, they kept the door open, things like that. 

I'm sorry but I don't buy it at all.  The trial could have been done episodes ago if they were onto him back then.  The writers practically admitted in the "inside the episode" bit after the show that they were purposely having them at odds with each other all season to make the actual trial more of a shock.

I think it's possible they had doubts about Littlefinger updates until Littlefinger's speech tonight, and they talked to Bran about that off camera, in order to keep the audience in the dark. He would have revealed all. 

Well, I think it kind of explains why the writer's have had Bran be such a dullard all season, and why the one scene with Sansa and Bran by the tree was the way it was.  They are trying to show that Bran isn't interested in talking to anyone, so he might not have actually told Sansa about Littlefinger's crimes until she came to him after the "worst motivations" speech and before the trial.

At the same time, Bran may have not known about the annulment because he never thought about it, so he never explored that specific point in time and space. He assumed that his aunt was kidnapped and rape because that's what he had been told by his entire family his entire life. He accepted it as truth. He had no reason to doubt it, so he did not look at it. Until this mutual friend of Jon makes the long trip to Winterfell to talk to Jon

OK, I'll buy that!

, instead of going to House Tarly to console his mother (he might still not know about Dickon and his father, but that's irrelevant).

I don't think Sam knows.

I doubt both characters will survive to the end of the story.

Certainly not as King and Queen of the 7 Kingdoms together, no

I think the strategic decision to attack the Eastwatch part of the wall is because that's where the army of the dead was! Our heroes marched north from there to find them, so the Night King just followed them straight south. Why would they march all the way west to Castle Black, then double back? They wasted six years dawdling as it stands. 

Haha, good point!

Besides, it makes sense that Beric and Tormund stayed at Eastwatch since it takes five minutes to get a raven to Dragonstone and their queen from there. 

Clearly on a visual level, it was smart to show Eastwatch get destroyed instead of castle black or some random non-manned area of the wall.  Especially because we saw the "edge' of the wall by the ocean, that was really neat.  And heck, maybe the wall is supposed to be thinner at the endges or something, who knows

Well it's a moot point because the entire dead army could be through the breach before Bran gets word to anyone who can muster a defense. But breaching at Eastward means their eastern flank is along the icy sea, where no army could be landed to flank them. Breaching at an interior section could allow armies to attack from either side.

It's good that the walking dead are walking south. 

Where would Daenerys get winter coats for all those Dothraki? 

King's Landing got just a dusting, while Dany got six inches of Snow. 

Do you think Cersei had to put out to Euron to get him to put on a show for their enemies not to mention sail to Essos to pick up their new soldiers?

Cersei's plan to let Tyrion think he convinced her to do anything was clever, but I don't get why Tyrion didn't figure it out.  Or why he was peeving on his Queen getting some

I don't think Cersei has submitted to Euron yet. Her promise would still stand, he can have her when her enemies are dead. His cowardice was just playing a part. If anything, though, I wonder if we are meant to suspect that he has taken her to bed, which would bring into question the father of her child. How delightful would it be for it to be Euron's, and Jaime kills him in a rage? I doubt Cersei spreads for anyone but her brother, however.