GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At this stage I think Winds *might come out* and if he’s smart he’ll out a few pages of summary of how he plans for the series to end because there’s not a hope of him writing a 7th book (or 8 as I think it will take)

Martin is sure taking his leisurely time writing the ending of his story and is starting to meander the same way in real life as he does sometimes in his books. Let's take a 1000 page detour from writing the actual magnum opus just for fun.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Martin is sure taking his leisurely time writing the ending of his story and is starting to meander the same way in real life as he does sometimes in his books. Let's take a 1000 page detour from writing the actual magnum opus just for fun.

My guess is he's writing this "history" book to serve as a foundation for the new HBO series. So that the future showrunners will have something to go by.

Didn't Martin say he would never sell the rights to an unfinished work again?

Bingo. The tail is wagging the dog, so now he has to crank out new material for new shows.

It’s funny, you know, originally it was supposed to be a trilogy:

1. war of the five kings

—5 year gap—

2. dothraki invasion

3. others invasion

Turns out the Wot5K took three books, and the 5YG took two books, and now we’re hoping it will all really wrap up in two more books? Bwahaha!

In a way, the GOT show ended up being aptly named, since it only really covers the Wot5K plus a halfassed fanficy coda to wrap it up.

Ah well, still, what a glorious exercise in worldbuilding it all is. In that sense, I have no problem with the GRRMarillion. Fat fingers typing is better than fat fingers not typing.

I am guessing the new HBO show will be an anthology style where each season is a self-contained story about GOT's past history.

One season about Aegon's Landing, one season about Dunk & Egg, one season about Robert's Rebellion, etc.

If the new TV show turns out to be based on some of this Targaryen history material, then it would probably be better for the showrunners not to be constrained (and audiences spoiled!) by pre-published material. Game of Thrones benefitted from having carefully and intricately plotted storylines, detailed descriptions and good dialogue when it had the A Song of Ice and Fire books to plunder, but Fire and Blood (a single volume covering three one-and-a-half centuries of history) will inevitably tell its stories in much broader brush strokes. I find it unlikely that it would serve as great material ripe for adaptation in the same way.

I'd guess that Martin has rushed to get this book out while the Game of Thrones brand is still hot rather than for the benefit of the next TV show. If there is a connection between the two, it's probably to do with the possibility of Martin being entitled to royalties for material that he has already copyrighted.

(Hope I don't sound cynical or anything...)

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully they all go down quickly after the referendum on Friday. Sick of both sides. 

Hate election posters. They don’t do anything to persuade people. Eye pollution. 

It was a lot of fun. Obviously the quality doesn’t match up to some of the love to projection concerts I’ve been to but it was a nice night out. Djawadi plays a few pieces himself. 

Probably worth it just for Light of the Seven tbh. 

Seeing clips on the big screen really makes me wish they’d show it in cinemas 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sophie Turner on the series finale:

“I think, you know, as an actor it was really satisfying — I think for everyone, everyone’s storylines — to be able to act out the way that it all ends. It was really satisfying for us. Who knows if it will be satisfying for the fans. I think a lot of fans will be disappointed and a lot of fans will be over the moon, I think. I think it will be really interesting to see people’s reactions, but for me reading the script it was just like heartbreaking…”

https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/27/game-of-thrones-sophie-turner-series-finale/

Do they already know which is the real ending? There was word a while back that they filmed 5-6 of them and even the actors won't know which one is the real one. Maybe Sansa dies in all of them!

• 2 weeks later...

Spoilers are actually the reason BloodBoal quit the board. Advanced recon and snooping techniques in relation to the GOT finale left him no time for forum posting, such is his hopeless lack of restraint in the face of intolerable overexcitement. He had to quit his job and leave behind the life he knew, if he was going to be able to follow the production crew around the globe.

Saw the anti drone signs in Belfast. Could still see a massive town/castle set with green screen and a few props lying around.