GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Anyone got a good recap to recommend before the season premiere tonight? 

I thought we'd have time to rewatch the last season or something before now but that never happened. 

Maybe this one is good? 

Oh sure but that will only be like 3 minutes long. I was looking for recommendations for a longer one

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh sure but that will only be like 3 minutes long. I was looking for recommendations for a longer one

Actually, I'm sorta expecting a final overarching roundup of the main storyline/s so far this time, about 5-8 mins worth. I seem to recall they did do a really long one already, a couple of seasons ago. It was most helpful.

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Actually, I'm sorta expecting a final overarching roundup of the main storyline/s so far this time, about 5-8 mins worth. I seem to recall they did do a really long one already, a couple of seasons ago. It was most helpful.

I'll bet you ten quid it's under 3 minutes. 

Like the new intro! It was about time for an upgrade.

Some moments like some Tyrion humour attempts fell flat (LOL VARYS HAS NO BALLZ REMEMBER) but I like how they didn't drag the Jon reveal out all season long.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Final season and it's still not snowing in King's Landing smh

It did snow in the previous episode, didn't it?

There are some interesting moments but, for the most part, it falls flat.

Karol

Well that was alright. I really liked Arya and Sam in this one. I think I've decided that for the good of the kingdom, Daenerys must die!

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It did snow in the previous episode, didn't it?

It snowed on Jaime as he rode away from the city, yeah.

The usual 1st episode fair but it’s set everything up nicely now so we can plow on next week. 

Really looking forward to the stuff between Bran and Jaime next week. Loads of callbacks to the very first episode in this one. 

Only 5 episodes left. 😭

56E25A0A-CF4C-4267-AA2F-D686BD45A4DB.jpeg

Loved the red streaks in Dany's cold S07 costume. Adds visual interest with the weirwood to the drab colour palette.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'm no Bloodboal, but... here's a range of choices, take your pick!

Goodness but the first two are wonderful.  I had a feeling "Test Drive" would make the great visuals pop that much more, and I was right!  Nice job syncing the sudden suspense turn in the track with the dive into the gorge.  It's some of the most uplifting, heart-filled music of recent memory, and doesn't fit the show's tone,  but I still like seeing the visuals recontextualized.

Also I'm drinking from my wife's coffee mug this morning :D 

IMG_3403.jpg

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The dialogue has lost all of the finesse and wit found in the early seasons, but the characters are compelling to watch still.

Really?

Most of the characters are dull and stilted now.

Sam is still fun.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The dialogue has lost all of the finesse and wit found in the early seasons, but the characters are compelling to watch still.

When the show passed up the books of course the quality of everything went down. 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

When the show passed up the books of course the quality of everything went down. 

Not really. When the show had to rely on AFFC and ADWD it started to load it’s charm. It was fine while adapting the first three books (season 1-4) then it dipped a bit.

I think D&D did the best they could with the cluster fuck Martin left them.

a cluster fuck Martin himself remains unable to solve.

Think about it, they adapted and released pretty much all of Game of Thrones in between Martin finishing book 5 and 6. The entire TV series happened and he’s still trying to work out the mess he made of his series. 

I think they did did a great job. The politics aren’t as strong as they were but they lost the best politic-Er of them all with Tywin (in season 4 no less). 

Sadly even Dorne is better in the show than it is in the books. And Dorne in the show is fucking awful. 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Sadly even Dorne is better in the show than it is in the books. And Dorne in the show is fucking awful. 

That's almost the weirdest thing I've ever read. The book plot at least had some conspiracy and nuance to what was happening in Dorne. And the greatest love story in history - whatever Kingsguard and whoever Martel daughter.

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

That's almost the weirdest thing I've ever read. The book plot at least had some conspiracy and nuance to what was happening in Dorne. And the greatest love story in history - whatever Kingsguard and whoever Martel daughter.

Book Dorne is so long and so drawn out with brand new characters nobody gives a fuck about when the story really should be narrowing and not ballooning.

The show spent less time (still too much) there thankfully.

The book storyline will probably amount to nothing anyway

I really really like the first three but there’s a serious drop off in quality after that. If you’re curious I’d say go for it and make up your own mind!

Fourth book is the best1. Pacing may be slow but the chapters in the Riverlands are great. Also has my main man Maester Marwyn in it. I give it 3 out of 3 dragons.

Fifth is the worst2 - mostly due to MEREEN. I give it 1.5 out of 3 dragons.

1my favorite

2my least favorite

A lot of the celebrated scenes from the early seasons are show inventions. The verbal sparring between Varys and Littlefinger, the long conversation between Robert and Cersei, Robert exchanging war stories with Barristan Selmy, Tywin lecturing Jaime while butchering a deer, Bronn and the Hound facing off before the Battle of the Blackwater. I don't think that the hypothesis that running out of books is the cause of a deterioration in the quality of the dialogue holds up entirely.

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

Fourth book is the best1. Pacing may be slow but the chapters in the Riverlands are great. Also has my main man Maester Marwyn in it. I give it 3 out of 3 dragons.

Fifth is the worst2 - mostly due to MEREEN. I give it 1.5 out of 3 dragons.

It seems that every strand of the story in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons has both ardent fans and ardent haters. Unfortunately there don't seem to be very many people who are fans of all of the strands.

I love the books even though they can be difficult to process. I've read all of them 2 to 3 times in the past 8 years. 

Books 1, 3, and 5 are the best. 

I hate Dorne in the show.  It's good in the books.  The best Dorne characters aren't even in the show except for Oberyn. 

Does anyone here watch Preston Jacobs's YouTube channel?  You get a whole new appreciation for the books from his videos. 

Episode 1. I'm so glad I'm finally able to get these with audio description and watch with everyone else at the same time rather than when you've all seen everything. Better late than never.

What I mostly loved about this episode was how the viewer (or I in any case) is slowly beginning to feel more ambiguous about Daenerys. I guess it was seeing Sam so sad that did it. For a split second, she seemed like the lesser of two evils. Sansa is still annoying and Bran and Sam's exchange was just fantastic.

That's all I can say, really.

Exactly what I expected from the first episode after a big gap tbh, even the diabolically shite music did what I expected it to do. The scoring during the dragon ride sequence sounded like it was written by an AI bot.

With that exposition dump out of the way I'm now looking forward to all the rest of the episodes and I'm totally into it, my body is ready at last.

I'm loving Sansa's new husky tones btw, she's a formidable woman now, not to be trifled with. Sexiest woman in the story for me.

Still disappointed the original Night King actor was replaced. He looked absolutely badass in those earlier episodes, his make-up made him look like a mean otherworldly mofo. The chap playing him now just doesn't have the same threatening screen presence, the eyes aren't frightening enough and he just looks like a bit of a dork compared to the original guy. Maybe that'll change as we near the end though, fingers crossed.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Really?

Most of the characters are dull and stilted now.

Sam is still fun.

There also isn't much "character" left in most of them, at least in this episode. You're mostly just watching for the satisfaction of seeing them finally come together, and the handsome visuals.

Typical GOT season premiere. Not very interesting, as you'd expect, but I'm in for the ride.

Yes!

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Still disappointed the original Night King actor was replaced. He looked absolutely badass in those earlier episodes, his make-up made him look like a mean otherworldly mofo. The chap playing him now just doesn't have the same threatening screen presence, the eyes aren't frightening enough and he just looks like a bit of a dork compared to the original guy. Maybe that'll change as we near the end though, fingers crossed.

I wouldn't have noticed if no one had pointed it out. Chronically boring villain so far anyway.

Similar to the Ringwraiths in a way, but they're established three or four times throughout the trilogy, making their appearance more potent each time - especially when it came to the scenes at Minas Morgul with the Witch-King. The presence that character had was terrifying even before you see him upon the fell beast.