GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I was drifting in and out of sleep for about 15 minutes in this episode, but liked what I saw.  I'll have to go back and watch what I vaguely remember as a 15 minute flying-around-on-dragons scene.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:32 PM, Jay said:

Final season and it's still not snowing in King's Landing smh

On 4/15/2019 at 2:27 AM, crocodile said:

It did snow in the previous episode, didn't it?

On 4/15/2019 at 2:29 AM, A. A. Ron said:

It snowed on Jaime as he rode away from the city, yeah.

Exactly!  We rejoin the action some weeks later, and not a drop of snow has remained in King's Landing.  Lame.

Snow is allowed to start and then stop again. Weather is unpredictable like that.

It can't snow in S8E1 full force in King's Landing because Cersei needs to still be over confident with her smugness. Qyburn is alarmed that the wall has fallen but she loves it. She can still dismiss the threat as being too far.

It shouldn't start snowing full force in KL until the living have suffered a major defeat in the north and the dead, who can replenish their forces with fresh corpses, resume the march south. 

The inner sea should freeze so her elephants can cross. 

I loved the broken wall in the intro sequence. 

10 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

Snow is allowed to start and then stop again. Weather is unpredictable like that.

You're telling me...it was snowing here this past weekend... :rolleyes:

But as Lee pointed out, I'm sure there'll be some dramatic satisfying setup for when we finally get to see King's Landing covered in snow...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Good news about Sheeran! 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Winterfell will probably fall next episode or the one after that, forcing everyone to flee to the South. Kings Landing is where the final stand will be.

There was 11 weeks of night shoots for Winterfell apparently. So episode 3 at the earliest. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

He saw fire....

*instert Bloodboal’s hehehe lizard here*

Game of Thrones 8x01 Winterferll

That new opening credits sequence was TERRIFIC!  Such a smart idea to completely overhaul it at this point.  Not only because it's the final season, not only because it amps up the hype, but also because there's so fewer locations now anyway.  I liked how it started at the broken wall and showed the path the walkers are taking south.  I definitely want to watch this again to see everything I missed; I read somewhere that the spinning part actually shows various scenes from the show as well.

This was more or less a typical GOT season premiere, checking in one by one with all the various characters and establishing where they are at and what their current goals are.  But one thing that made it so different is that usually, the cast was way bigger, and spread out of way more locations, so much so that often there'd by many characters we didn't even check in with until episode 2. Now we've got most everyone protagonist in Winterfell or nearby and most everyone else in King's Landing or nearby and so as a result it was kind of nice to mostly stay in one place and just have a series of reunions and first meetings.

Theon & Yara - I had completely forgotten that Yara was still captured by Euron and Theon was due to free her.  This whole scene happened so quickly and made it seem like it was the easiest thing in the world for Theon to do, it probably would have made more sense to just have included at the end of last season and start this season with Theon and Yara already on their solo journeys.  Oh well.  Maybe they originally envisioned something different.

Cersei & Euron - That's nice that Cersei now has this giant fleet and army, though I wonder if we're headed for an actual big battle or if they'll be dragon food.  I keep expecting the Bravosi bank to play a bigger role in all this but they seem to just keep giving out stuff without getting anything in return.  I'm not surprised Cersei banged Euron but I don't think either party really expect much to come from it.

Bronn - So he gets hired to kill both Jaime and Tyrion.  I fully expect him to do neither, and join the side of the heroes instead

Tormund Giantsbane, Beric Dondarrion, and the poor Umber boy - I was glad to see Tormund and Beric surved the fall of the wall, and the symbol the walkers left for them with the kid's body was a suitably creepy way to remind us of the threat without otherwise seeing the walkers in this episode

Winterfell - All hte reunions and meetings were handled well.  I loved that Sansa immediately realized Cersei lied to Tyrion about sending an army.  I liked the practical problem that there isn't enough food for Daenerys's army or her dragons.  I doubt it will end up being a big plot point though.  The best scenes in the episode were certainly Sam's.  I was confused why he wasn't out greeting everyone else during most of the episode, but that was made up for by a good scene with Daenerys, and a good scene with Jon.  His reaction to the news of his father and brother were suitable complex and earned.  And I am happy Jon finally found out he's a Targaryen in this episode and it isn't something dragged out until later (of course, Daenerys finding out could be dragged out).  Since the walker threat is so imminent (surely they will attack Winferfell in Episode 3) and who gets to sit on the throne isn't important until after that's over, it will bubble under things for a while.

Definitely looking forward to next week, and the entire ending less than 5 weeks from now.

She was in the episode, in Winterfell.... at least I thought I saw her at one point.  Don't remember her having any lines though.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Jaime is definitely not making it til the end of the season

Really? Seems to me he could be the ultimate hero who survives.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Bronn - So he gets hired to kill both Jaime and Tyrion.  I fully expect him to do neither, and join the side of the heroes instead

I don't know. On the surface it seems as though the obvious story development is for the confirmed sellsword to have a last-minute change of heart and go with his conscience instead. On the other hand, that's so obvious that it might be more of a twist to reveal that he really is a sellsword first and foremost. I think it could go either way, and which one will more likely be determined by the writers' ultimate plans for Jaime and Tyrion than by considerations of Bronn's character development.

Yea, as one of the few non-Royal characters left hanging around, it's unclear what his ultimate purpose for the show is really gonna be.

The whole thing where Cersei supposedly hires him to kill Jaime and Tyrion doesn't make a lot of sense to me though.  I mean, throughout the seasons, he's gotten pretty dang close to Jaime, risking his life to save him from Daenerys' dragon fire blast by the lake, etc.  Does Cersei truly believe he'll actually now just kill him for money after everything?  OR... is she just trying to get him OUT of King's Landing?  That could explain why she actually paid him up front, instead of only after the service is rendered.  OR........Is there a big misdirect coming, and the White Walkers will attack King's Landing FIRST, and the writers wanted him to survive the attack?

Another thing a bit odd was that it was Qyburn who had the scene with Bronn and not Cersei herself.  Now obviously, it could be the usual thing where the Bronn and Cersei actors refuse to be in a scene together.  BUT, what if Cersei isn't behind this at all, and getting him out of King's Landing was entirely Qyburn's own doing?  Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what his motivation would be if that's the case.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, as one of the few non-Royal characters left hanging around, it's unclear what his ultimate purpose for the show is really gonna be.

The whole thing where Cersei supposedly hires him to kill Jaime and Tyrion doesn't make a lot of sense to me though.  I mean, throughout the seasons, he's gotten pretty dang close to Jaime, risking his life to save him from Daenerys' dragon fire blast by the lake, etc.  Does Cersei truly believe he'll actually now just kill him for money after everything?  OR... is she just trying to get him OUT of King's Landing?  That could explain why she actually paid him up front, instead of only after the service is rendered.  OR........Is there a big misdirect coming, and the White Walkers will attack King's Landing FIRST, and the writers wanted him to survive the attack?

Another thing a bit odd was that it was Qyburn who had the scene with Bronn and not Cersei herself.  Now obviously, it could be the usual thing where the Bronn and Cersei actors refuse to be in a scene together.  BUT, what if Cersei isn't behind this at all, and getting him out of King's Landing was entirely Qyburn's own doing?  Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what his motivation would be if that's the case.

Bronn and Cersei can’t share scenes because the actors won’t be in the same room. 

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

...throughout the shows, he's gotten pretty dang close to Jaime, saving him from dragonfire, etc.  Does Cersei truly believe he'll actually now just kill him for money after everything?

After the dragonfire incident, Bronn said outright that his only motivation for saving Jaime's life was that Jaime owed him a fortune. Of course, it's debatable whether he was speaking the absolute truth or not, but it seems as though the writers have given themselves enough cover for Bronn to go down the mercenary road when it comes to Jaime.

In fact, here's what Bronn said when the two of them emerged from the river after the wagon-train attack:

Listen to me, cunt: till I get what I'm owed, a dragon doesn't get to kill you! You don't get to kill you! Only I get to kill you!

Cersei paying him up front could also be a device to handle this issue. It means that Bronn has hard cash to bank at the expense of the promised fortune that he may or may not have got from Jaime.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Now obviously, it could be the usual thing where the actors refuse to be in a scene together.

I guess that answer suffices!

I don't see the White Walkers attacking KL before Winterfell unless either they find a wormhole, a cave, freeze the coastline and run there, or they load Viseryon with as many goons as he can fly with. 

I also don't buy into the idea that the Night King cares about the Iron Throne itself, even if he is a Targ as some theories put forth. The petty politics of the living would be beneath him. It's got to be something basic, ancient, and primordial. Something at Winterfell. 

People only think the NK is a Targ because he can fly his dragon, and only Targs can control dragons. I would contend his resurrection abilities allow him to control any wight he raises, clearing the settings on its previous requirements. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

OR... is she just trying to get him OUT of King's Landing?

I assumed that Bronn was being asked to go north on this mission when I first watched the episode but, on second thoughts, he was asked to deal with Jaime and Tyrion "in the event that they [survive their northern adventure]". Now I'm not sure whether Bronn is expected to leave King's Landing or not.

18 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

I don't see the White Walkers attacking KL before Winterfell unless either they find a wormhole, a cave, freeze the coastline and run there, or they load Viseryon with as many goons as he can fly with. 

I don't expect them to either but, if for some reason they did see fit to attack King's Landing first, they wouldn't need to use any of those elaborate methods. They would just walk around Winterfell. There's lots of space in the North!

20 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I don't expect them to either but, if for some reason they did see fit to attack King's Landing first, they wouldn't need to use any of those elaborate methods. They would just walk around Winterfell. There's lots of space in the North!

Now THAT would be a twist!!! Everyone ready for THE BIG BATTLE OF WINTERFELL.

And then it doesn't happen. Because the enemy doesn't care about them. :lol:

Ha, yeah: the writers could continue their allusions to Season 1 by having Tyrion all geared up to play his part in the big battle only to find out afterwards that the actual battle took place offscreen somewhere else entirely.

The scene with the White Walker's "message" was reminiscent of the deleted scene from Alien, with Ripley torching Dallas. I laughed at how fast Beric's reaction was to just stab the thing!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

The scene with the White Walker's "message" was reminiscent of the deleted scene from Alien, with Ripley torching Dallas. I laughed at how fast Beric's reaction was to just stab the thing!

I wasn't even sure where they were during that sequence. What was their mission?

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I wasn't even sure where they were during that sequence. What was their mission?

I think those guys were near the wall when it fell so they're in the town that the boy from the beginning of the episode was riding to. I think. 

The boy that climbed the tree at the start of the episode is Ned Umber, last heir to House Umber. His father or his father forsook the family vow to fight for House Stark in the previous war and Sansa was ready to strip him of his land, but King Jon pardoned him and returned his land in exchange for a new promise of fealty, along with Alys Karstark.

Umber's castle is Last Hearth, which is the furthest north castle in The North before you get to The Wall. He is the boy that asked for wagons and horses to quickly evacuate Last Hearth, which is the first castle Jon correctly concluded the White Walkers would hit after breaching the Wall. It was actually seen in the titles before being surrounded by blue tiles. 

Tormund, Ser Beric, and the others are making their way south after surviving and witnessing the collapse of The Wall. Last Hearth is logically their first stop, and they recognize the spiral symbol and workmanship of the dead. That's why they know to stab the reanimated corpse. 

There are people online who are angry that the opening titles showed the blue tiles surrounding Last Hearth, and thus spoiling the plot that the castle would fall.

A good episode this week, some of the interactions and dialogue were alright - particularly the characters drinking and talking in front of the fireplace. In a way it felt like the moments leading up to the Battle of Helm's Deep in Two Towers, with the feeling of dread and fear from the people within Winterfell, especially the similarities between Davos here and Aragorn in Two Towers comforting the frightened men. Bran's revelation that The Night King will be looking for him to purge the world of the living memories of what came before was also interesting and sets up a confrontation in the woods next episode and will probably draw the Night King out to have some prominent battle, perhaps even visually interesting...

• Parallels between Mormont giving Jon Longclaw, and Sam giving Jorah his family's sword.
  •  I felt no remorse for Daenerys when she questioned Jaime's actions - she's a ruthless bitch who flat out murdered all those who opposed her, I just don't understand how people can sympathise with her when she's just power-hungry and arrogant beyond belief. When Jon reveals his heritage you can see she instantly sees him as a threat. I was waiting for Jon to say that he didn't want the throne... 
  • Was a bit strange seeing Arya's brief sex scene as she still looks like a twelve year old! I felt as it was slightly forced as I saw more of a brotherly love from Gendry who's probably 30 something. 
  • The music as always felt like a whisper in the background - a lot of sustained strings and just plain boring. Some themes return but they're so faint that they might as well not be there at all! Having found Djawadi's Westworld score a bit more involved and suited for that show, it's a little disappointing to hear him interchange musical phrases and just supply fancy looking wallpaper and no substantive musical identities - in other words, the music doesn't carry any scenes like in Westworld, or even Lord of the Rings where the music is so integral! 

Another episode of GOT with characters sitting or skulking around dimly lit rooms reminding the audience of stuff that happened years ago.

Yes, very similar to the "silence before the storm" stuff in TTT and ROTK, with without the building tension.

A few good scenes, and set ups for possibly interesting conflicts and pay-off's later in the season. But that's it.

I wonder if they'll do the TTT shot of the Walkers approaching the castle in the snow and just that uneasy few moments of silence before someone accidentally looses an arrow, killing a zombie.

This was a great episode, much better writing than the previous one.

Ser Brienne the Beauty making old Ser Duncan the Tall proud.

And like I said last time, we're getting closer and closer to Jaegon putting Longclaw through Dany's heart.

If Jon kills Daenerys I will fucking throw my remote through the TV. 

7 minutes ago, Fargo said:

And like I said last time, we're getting closer and closer to Jaegon putting Longclaw through Dany's heart.