GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But will the Night King survive episode 3?  The biggest question for me.

Considering he won't even show at Winterfell, yes he'll survive.

He's having a pleasant flight down to King's Landing right now...

Good episode. Some clunker dialogue aside, it's been a while since it's felt like there were actually writers in the room. The Helm's Deep vibes are also clearly working.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I hope everyone'll finally grow brains and also protect them with head armor for the first time.

I love the DVD commentary track for the Blackwater episode, with George R. R. Martin constantly griping about people not wearing helmets.

Indeed! Jon Snow can die not wearing a helmet, but only Jon Doe can die wearing a helmet.

Helmets aside, Beric Dondarrion was able to die after his resurrection, so I would imagine that Jon Snow can too.

I think that it's almost obligatory for his character to die. That assassination has to have real significance, otherwise it was an unforgivably cheap trick on the audience...

3 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Helmets aside, Beric Dondarrion was able to die after his resurrection, so I would imagine that Jon Snow can too.

I'm confused.  Beric is still alive.

Am I forgetting something about Beric?  I admit my knowledge of the show is far from encyclopedic and I didn't really do anything to refresh my memory prior to this season.  But it's still the case that he comes back to life when he's killed, right?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, I meant is he like Beric who dies and comes back to life every time.  Or if he dies does he DIE die.

I would imagine that it's possible, in principle, for Jon to be resurrected again (if someone with the requisite abilities were present and willing to help).

I tend to think that magic will be on its way out by the end of the story so that (among other things) further resurrections will become impossible, and perhaps prior resurrections will no longer be sustained.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But it's still the case that he comes back to life when he's killed, right?

Thoros of Myr resurrected him each time.

We don't know whether the dead dead - Army of the Dead dead, reanimated frozen corpses, can be brought back, probably not. Or exactly how long the cutoff time is.

I’m not a crazy fan of a lot of Florence’s own stuff after the first album but she has a great voice and was the perfect choice for this song. 

As a book reader its nice nice to see it make it into the show! 

Pod is a much better singer than Ed Sheeran too!

14 hours ago, Arpy said:

A good episode this week, some of the interactions and dialogue were alright - particularly the characters drinking and talking in front of the fireplace. In a way it felt like the moments leading up to the Battle of Helm's Deep in Two Towers, with the feeling of dread and fear from the people within Winterfell, especially the similarities between Davos here and Aragorn in Two Towers comforting the frightened men. Bran's revelation that The Night King will be looking for him to purge the world of the living memories of what came before was also interesting and sets up a confrontation in the woods next episode and will probably draw the Night King out to have some prominent battle, perhaps even visually interesting...

• Parallels between Mormont giving Jon Longclaw, and Sam giving Jorah his family's sword.
  •  I felt no remorse for Daenerys when she questioned Jaime's actions - she's a ruthless bitch who flat out murdered all those who opposed her, I just don't understand how people can sympathise with her when she's just power-hungry and arrogant beyond belief. When Jon reveals his heritage you can see she instantly sees him as a threat. I was waiting for Jon to say that he didn't want the throne... 
  • Was a bit strange seeing Arya's brief sex scene as she still looks like a twelve year old! I felt as it was slightly forced as I saw more of a brotherly love from Gendry who's probably 30 something. 
  • The music as always felt like a whisper in the background - a lot of sustained strings and just plain boring. Some themes return but they're so faint that they might as well not be there at all! Having found Djawadi's Westworld score a bit more involved and suited for that show, it's a little disappointing to hear him interchange musical phrases and just supply fancy looking wallpaper and no substantive musical identities - in other words, the music doesn't carry any scenes like in Westworld, or even Lord of the Rings where the music is so integral! 

This.

Just watched it. Formulaic calm before the storm fair, but I really enjoyed it. Brienne of Tarth being knighted by Ser Jamie was the emotional highlight, but then I've always been a sucker for that sort of thing anyway, so no surprises that I felt a small droplet of a man tears form there, quite welcomely so. I don't mind admitting it!

But damn, this is beyond titillating now (I ain't talking about Arya's certain retrousse profile either), but it's having the desired affect - I'm slathering at the mouth for next week's episode.

Oh yea, I wanted to comment on the music too!  I too noted how poor it was during the episode.

And the thing is:  Historically, the music on this show has often been disappointing. but usually it's just because we're watching a big fantasy show rich in characters and instead of all these prominent character themes that would help tie everything together (like LOST did), we often got generic underscore that doesn't stand out.  And the thing is: That's not my kind of music to listen to outside the show, but it never really HURT the show; It was just disappointing that it wasn't better.

But this week, something was OFF about the music.  instead of just being there all generic in the background, often it didn't seem to even FIT the scene.  My wife even commented on it once, which is something that hardly ever happens;  The show cut to Gendry's forging room at one point, and she said something like "Why is the music so ominous?".  It was weird.  Ramin IS capable of writing good music - he's written a bunch for this show, and his Westworld scores are great!  I have no idea what's going on here, in the final season - when we should be getting the best music!

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Wow, didn’t catch this when I first saw the episode

705247E8-57AE-4480-A16E-188B021EFDB1.jpeg

Eh, what was the point in this? It just made me rewatch the scene again for no reason. I wouldn't mind if it was apt, or funny, but it was just pointless.

41 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Btw, Sansa in her leather garb

Hhnnnnnnnnnnggg

Idk why, but that outfit bothers me. Doesn't seem very "Northy" to me. Looks like something Dany would have worn in Essos.

I like the mood of these slow episodes, and the dialogue is also better than I've recently come to expect from this show. Bit of a shame that the rest will probably be nearly all battle action now.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I also thought it was interesting that Jon chose to tell Dany who he was before the battle.  When she told him that put him in line for the throne before him, I was expecting him to say he didn't want it.  Now I don't know what he wants.

Perhaps he'll leave the Iron Throne to Dany in exchange for his rule over the North? He is fully entitled to that after all.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, I wanted to comment on the music too!  I too noted how poor it was during the episode.

And the thing is:  Historically, the music on this show has often been disappointing. but usually it's just because we're watching a big fantasy show rich in characters and instead of all these prominent character themes that would help tie everything together (like LOST did), we often got generic underscore that doesn't stand out.  And the thing is: That's not my kind of music to listen to outside the show, but it never really HURT the show; It was just disappointing that it wasn't better.

But this week, something was OFF about the music.  instead of just being there all generic in the background, often it didn't seem to even FIT the scene.  My wife even commented on it once, which is something that hardly ever happens;  The show cut to Gendry's forging room at one point, and she said something like "Why is the music so ominous?".  It was weird.  Ramin IS capable of writing good music - he's written a bunch for this show, and his Westworld scores are great!  I have no idea what's going on here, in the final season - when we should be getting the best music!

But there *are* character themes, or at least family/group themes. They aren't all brilliant, but they are there and they have been subtly woven in even since season one. Of course, Djwadi's amazing song composition "Jenny of Oldstones" overshadowed any bit of score this episode, but I still noticed several callback bits that I really liked, such as that rising three note motif (established for the Watch in season one) for our three surviving Night's Watch veteran comrades, facing out into the darkness on the ramparts together. I didn't notice anything that bothered me, but I might have been just so distracted by how much I adored the content/script/acting of the episode itself. I do think the high point of the series musically was the season 6 finale (and the scoring that season in general was probably the strongest Djawadi has ever done for the show, almost Westworld quality even). I did really like the new sad love theme for Jon and Dany that he wrote in season 7...by far his best contribution that year.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I like the mood of these slow episodes, and the dialogue is also better than I've recently come to expect from this show. Bit of a shame that the rest will probably be nearly all battle action now.

Perhaps he'll leave the Iron Throne to Dany in exchange for his rule over the North? He is fully entitled to that after all.

It'll come down to a moment where Dany must choose to save Jon or let him go for her ambition to sit on the Iron Throne.

On who rules the North: I guess Sansa isn't a globalist. If they start partitioning lands again, they'll end up with more Lannisters!

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Eh, what was the point in this? It just made me rewatch the scene again for no reason. I wouldn't mind if it was apt, or funny, but it was just pointless.

Bitter much? 

Lol

I seriously think Sansa was simply overjoyed to see Theon because he was the one who saved her from Ramsay. She's relieved he's alive because they were raised basically as siblings. I don't think she has the hots for him at all, notwithstanding her knowledge of his condition. 

It's getting harder each week to root for Dany. 

Very glad the camera stayed above Arya's nipplages. 

Sam is feeding Gilly very well.