GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I loved reading Wojo's explanation of The Last Hearth and what happened up there. Grim stuff! It's a shame little details in the story like this aren't communicated all that well to the more inattentive or casual GoT viewer like me.

What does everyone think about the telegraphing of the possible endgame demise of the Night King by luring him out to the tree? It's a bit Death Star exhaust porty to me that, and I hope it doesn't come off that way otherwise I'll feel ripped off. Surely they/Martin have more wicked plans in store than that, right? I'm fully expecting the goodies' plan to go completely tits up!

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I expect Winterfell will fall next week and the survivors head South. Either to Kings Landing, the Iron Islands or Somerset. ;)

Ya reckon with the [current] Night King still in charge?

A friend of mine suggested the White Walkers and the Night King would all be defeated next week and the last 3 episodes would all be about defeating Cersei.

I...doubt it.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Ya reckon with the [current] Night King still in charge?

The Night King is such a non-character at this point it might be better to just swap him. Maybe a Bran turned to evil?

Yeah. I'd just wish I hadn't noticed the theory online before seeing it happen.

YouTube is a pain in the arse when you're browsing one thing but see thumbnails and big fonts blaring out about something completely different.

But why build up the Night King and White Walkers to kill them off so quickly? IMO I think they need to show how devastating his power and army can be and that would necessitate killing a lot of people.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It would actually give the character something to do but sit there and stare into the middle distance.

If he becomes possessed, I wonder if he'll be able to walk again or just have him sitting there haha!

42 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's a shame little details in the story like aren't communicated all that well to the more inattentive or casual GoT viewer like me.

Yes, I feel the same way at points, because I've never really been into the show and enjoy it casually, I've sometimes had trouble with smaller details popping up after seasons and years apart as if I'm supposed to remember them.

One of the things that puts me off GoT is all the bullshit surrounding the family heritage. I couldn't care less if Jon Snow is a Targaryan or what happened thousands of years ago because I feel as if (in the TV show) that they gloss over the importance of the lineage in favour of the spectacle - blood, battles, tits etc.

37 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

I wonder if the Night King's presence can reanimate long-dead bodies from a distance. That would make the crypt a bloodbath. 

Can't he only reanimate bodies that have been killed by White Walkers though?

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I like the mood of these slow episodes, and the dialogue is also better than I've recently come to expect from this show.

Yes!

Bit of a shame that the rest will probably be nearly all battle action now.

Nah.  I suspect episode 3 is the giant battle, the biggest battle of the season and entire show.  I'd suspect 4 is back to slow buildup, 5 will have some sort of final battle at King's Landing, then 6 is all wrap-up.  Something like that.

Perhaps he'll leave the Iron Throne to Dany in exchange for his rule over the North? He is fully entitled to that after all.

I can't see either character actually ending up in charge when all is said and done.  But who knows.

14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But there *are* character themes, or at least family/group themes. They aren't all brilliant, but they are there and they have been subtly woven in even since season one. Of course, Djwadi's amazing song composition "Jenny of Oldstones" overshadowed any bit of score this episode, but I still noticed several callback bits that I really liked, such as that rising three note motif (established for the Watch in season one) for our three surviving Night's Watch veteran comrades, facing out into the darkness on the ramparts together. I didn't notice anything that bothered me, but I might have been just so distracted by how much I adored the content/script/acting of the episode itself. I do think the high point of the series musically was the season 6 finale (and the scoring that season in general was probably the strongest Djawadi has ever done for the show, almost Westworld quality even). I did really like the new sad love theme for Jon and Dany that he wrote in season 7...by far his best contribution that year.

Yavar

Yes yes, I know there's character themes and everything, I just don't happen to think most of them are very good.  Only the brilliant main title theme and Lannister theme are memorable to me.

I just thought they were making weird mood choices with the music this week. Something was off.

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

When was the last time we had an episode with nobody dying on screen?

Was this the ONLY episode where not a single character or even animal died?

I think his Dragon melody is a nice achievement - gets both the ancient, soaring majesty and the last-of-their-kind tragedy across, topping it off with a bit of "they mean business and will kill you" with those last two notes.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

What does everyone think about the telegraphing of the possible endgame demise of the Night King by luring him out to the tree? It's a bit Death Star exhaust porty to me that, and I hope it doesn't come off that way otherwise I'll feel ripped off. Surely they/Martin have more wicked plans in store than that, right? I'm fully expecting the goodies' plan to go completely tits up!

There are three options

1) Their plan works; They lure the Night King towards Bran and kill him in episode 3, leaving episodes 4-6 to entirely be about the fight for the iron throne

2) The Night King is there at Winterfell, but doesn't fall for their trick.  The episode ends with the remaining living heroes fleeing for their lives as the Night King heads south or whatever

3) The Night King isn't even there.  While the giant Winterfell battle is going on, he's taken off and headed to King's Landing himself with some subset of other walkers & wights

I dunno.  The Night King going straight for King's Landing implies that it (he?) is both cognizant of and, to some degree, cares about human seats of power / "the Iron Throne" and strategizes from that position.  Up to now he's portrayed as more of a ceaseless force who makes no distinction between any individual humans.  The strategy is just kill everyone from north to south.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Technically ep one of the season didnt have anyone dying on-screen either. The Umber boy was already dead when they torched him.

Bro, people on Euron's ship were dropping like flies.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

1) Their plan works; They lure the Night King towards Bran and kill him in episode 3, leaving episodes 4-6 to entirely be about the fight for the iron throne

The heroes' first plan immediately working and destroying the dark army that has been built up for 7 seasons would not be very climactic, I think. There should be some sort of twist there.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

The heroes' first plan immediately working and destroying the dark army that has been built up for 7 seasons would not be very climactic, I think. There should be some sort of twist there.

I'm sort of expecting a twist along the lines of "The Door."  Something shocking that upends what we would think of as the normal "rules" of the show.

Let's hope Benioff and Weiss are up for the task!

Do we know if GRRM told B&W his end game?  I mean he obviously told them much (all?) of what will happen in Book 6, plus Hodor's origin and likely that lady Stoneheart and fake Aegon aren't ultimately too important, but do we know if he told them how he planned to wrap up the white walkers in the books, or who he planned on ending up on the iron throne or whatever?

He did tell them the end and recently he said his ending will not be very different from the show's ending at all.

60 minutes interview quoted on IGN: 

The show will be very close, though, thanks to “several days of story conferences” that took place at Martin’s house in Santa Fe, New Mexico. “I don't think Dan and Dave's ending is gonna be that different from my ending because of the conversations we did have,” he said.

“But they may be on certain secondary characters, there may be big differences,” he explained, saying that “there's no way to get in all the detail, all the minor characters, all the secondary characters.”

He joked that people will fight on the internet about which ending is better, which is certainly the inevitable outcome of all this.

Maybe he had some secretive contractual obligation that he can't release WoW until the show's over? 

I know, but that would mean WoW could have been finished for a year or two and he could already be working on the last one. Very much theoretically.

That's cute you think that's a possibility.

He's old, fat, and rich as hell.  He MIGHT finish Winds of Winter and publish in within the next 5 years, but Dream of Spring ain't coming out in his lifetime, I'd wager.

Not watching the show and I've just found out it's only 6 episodes. For someone who's waiting for the blu-ray, only 6 eppies isn't very funny.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's cute you think that's a possibility.

He's old, fat, and rich as hell.  He MIGHT finish Winds of Winter and publish in within the next 5 years, but Dream of Spring ain't coming out in his lifetime, I'd wager.

Aside from this I think he needs WoW+ 2 more books rather than just WoW and ADoS to finish the series. 

He left book 5 with some ball of shite to sort out. 

Just now, Bilbo said:

Aside from this I think he needs WoW+ 2 more books rather than just WoW and ADoS to finish the series. 

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Not watching the show and I've just found out it's only 6 episodes. For someone who's waiting for the blu-ray, only 6 eppies isn't very funny.

Each episode feels 4 hours long, so in the end it works out to 24 episodes' worth of content.