GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I'm sure it'll be steep.  Ideally for their sake, they'd start an all-new series (or at least a new season of something) that appeals to the same audience in the last week or two of GoT to attempt to hold on.

I know I'm unsubscribing after next week - I won't have t get up at 5 to watch the new episodes after that. All the quality drops are irritating and motherfucking PAL Speedup on an online on-demand streaming platform in 2019 is horrifically unacceptable.

Some people get HBO and really like GoT but also like Westworld, Veep, Silicon Valley, Last Week Tonight, movie subscription, etc.  Some people "get" HBO as part of their 2-year or 1-year contract with their service provider.  Some people get HBO and don't watch GoT in the first place.  37% subscriber loss is pretty massive! 

52 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

They need that prequel series to be good!

I'm sure that'll generate some interest at first, and then people will mostly forget about it. Sort of like what happened to the Walking Dead prequel series in the show's heyday. 

A single-season, basically miniseries that covers all of Robert's Rebellion would work.  But HBO doesn't want single seasons, they want another multi-season epic, which is why they greenlit "The Long Night"

20 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps he'll leave the Iron Throne to Dany in exchange for his rule over the North? He is fully entitled to that after all.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wouldn't be very dramatic or realistic.

I could see it suiting Jon Snow well enough. Dany would need some convincing.

Has anyone here talked about how weird it is that there seems to be almost no Dothraki shown in the past two episodes? Dany was supposed to sail with “tens of thousands” of those horse-smelling savages, but I’ve never really gotten the feeling there are that many at Winterfell right now. 

Pretty sure that two of her Dothraki lieutenants were seen in Ep 1 wearing winter coat on horseback, riding up to talk to her. But no, we haven't seen the full combined armies, other than Jon's pieces on the battlefield map. 

Right. The show has a habit of hiding characters if there's nothing for them to do in that week's story to save cost. Surviving direwolves are a good example. The Dothraki host is another. 

This wasn't the 'Long Night' one, was it? 

And they were really planning five spinoffs? That definitely would have been overkill.

No, the Long Night one is the only one they've greenlit so far.  It hasn't been revealed what the subject of Cogman's, or any of the other ones, were.

Though I think it's pretty clear what the 5 biggest stories from ASOIAF's history would be

The Long Night

The Dance of Dragons

The Doom of Valyria

Aegon's Conquest

Robert's Rebellion

And maybe they tried to do

Tales of Dunk and Egg / The Princess and the Queen / The Rogue Prince / The Sons of the Dragon (2017)

I’d love a Dunk and Egg series. I loved those books. 

Robert’s Rebellion wouldn’t work. People already know the outcome and the major parts of it have been covered in a Game of Thrones 

27 minutes ago, Fargo said:

And they were really planning five spinoffs? That definitely would have been overkill.

They were never planning to produce five. They began development on five different projects so that they could judge which of them seemed the most promising.

10 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

I don't want another prequel series where the sides are actively fighting based on misinformation...

Misinformation concerning enemy activities isn't a special feature of Robert's Rebellion. It's a pretty normal state of affairs.

In any case, too much attention is paid to the idea that the rebellion was "based on a lie". The civil war had been brewing for years or even decades. If Lyanna Stark's alleged abduction hadn't served as the ultimate trigger for it, somethiing else would have before long.

Okay... But all the flashbacks and discussions about what happened decades ago are snippets of history that shape the state of events in the contemporary story. They're not a major important story in and of themselves. I don't need to see young Jaime slaying his king, or young Tywin in trouble as a doomed Hand, or young Jon being neglected by his "father's" wife. What's the dramatic agenda? 

I want a show set in the far east. Check this map of ASOIAF-land: https://i.redd.it/41vqfsrcdhr21.jpg (too big to post here as a pic).

There's a section that has a bit of similarity with the North and the Wall:

The Grey Waste = Land of Always Winter

The Five Forts = Night's Watch Castles

And there's just some awesome sounding places: Cannibal Sands, Cities of the Bloodless Men, Cities of the Winged Men, the Bleeding Sea.

Then there's K'dath, which is a Lovecraft reference from GRRM. And of course the Shadow Lands, which we don't know much about.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The outcomes of all the historical stories are already known

We know pretty much nothing about the Long Night though. Whereas we know all the details of Robert’s Rebellion just from watching Game of Thrones. We know all the main players and their fates. 

Saw this on Reddit and laughed

y1e4nuzbw2u21.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

I don't agree with all their choices though

My picks:

Not a chance in hell they'll die this week: Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Jaime

Extremely unlikely to die this week: Sam, Gendry, Varys

Seems likely to die: Theon, Tormund, Grey Worm, Beric Dondarrion, Podrick, Edd

Literally could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised: Bran, Brienne, The Hound, Jorah, Davos, Missandei, Gilly & Baby Sam, Lady Mormont

Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, and Jaime have way too much plot armor to die before the final episode, or maybe one episode before.

Bran is either sacrificing himself this week to defeat the Night King, or will be one of the ones that survive everything.

The Hound I feel they want to keep around for some sort of final confrontation with The Mountain, but they could subvert our expectations and have him die now

Sam I feel is very likely to be one of the ones alive at the very end, perhaps the one who writes "the song of ice and fire", but I fear for Gilly & baby Sam, he could have a sad life from now til the end.

Gendry is the last remaining Baratheon, he needs to be involved in the final King's Landing plot

Varys clearly has some final role to play, perhaps with Mellisandre

Theon, Tormund and Jorah seemed destined for the hero's sacrifice saving someone else, but they may surprise us

Grey Worm, Beric, Podrick, Edd and Lady Mormont are total wild cards.  Anything is possible.  I don't think Beric's link to the lord of light matters with Mellisandre still around.

Hopefully I didn't forget anyone.

Protect the Stark family. At all costs. 

#whateverittakes

IMG_20190425_170342.jpg

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

WGLPOJp.jpg

I thought of this as soon as Pod started singing. I sang it for my wife after the episode, but I musta sucked because she didna recognize it. 

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

So this is r/freefolk now, lol

I tried to start a discussion of who will live and die this week, and no one replied! 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

I want to know if we'll ever find out who Quaithe is. 

Who? I don't remember that