GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

There's still a chance Cersei versus the North could outdo it somehow, but now I seriously doubt that's a possibility any more. 

Sapochnik is also directing Episode 5 this season, for what it's worth.

I wonder if TNK and the Three-Eyed Raven kept each other in check. Killing TNK can allow Bran to become evil. That would be fun. 

Arya needed to kill TNK. It needed to be a Stark that killed him, and she was shown stealing her brothers' targets in play way back in happier times. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sapochnik is also directing Episode 5 this season, for what it's worth.

He's demonstrated that's he's well equipped for this level of production, and there's every chance that it'll be just as thrilling as one would hope it would be. But I can't help but feel like the stakes are diminished in terms of how much I actually care about the final outcome of the story.

I've come around on Arya being the one to do it too, I just wish it had been executed differently than the way they went with.

Also Wojo brought up a good point a few posts or pages back, I wonder if Missandei will report to Daenerys what Tyrion and Sansa said in the crypts

I didn't think what Tyrion said was even remotely treasonous.  And Dany is already perfectly aware of the tension with Sansa.  There's nothing new or notable there IMO.

Just now, Quintus said:

He's demonstrated that's he's well equipped for this level of production, and there's every chance that it'll be just as thrilling as one would hope it would be. But I can't help but feel like the stakes are diminished in terms of how much I actually care about the final outcome of the story.

Maybe thats what this show lacks ultimately. We may bitch and moan about PJ nowadays, but with LOTR, he was in absolute top form. The GOT directors are extremely competent craftsman, but they don't have that extra bit of creative genius.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Disagree. Helm's Deep looks better IMO, and it has clearer stakes. Also, FORTH EORLINGAS scene is pure magic. 

You won't find me slagging anything off about Helm's Deep, and Forth Eorlingas made me cream my pants. But for me, The Charge of the Rohirrim and the battle on the Pelennor turned me to mush. I ascended to feelz heaven.

I liked that theyre both different enough in nature to be distinctive. Both visually and in what's going on action wise.

I wonder if GoT will go for a Pellenor Fields type battle? I honestly cant believe we've seen the biggest one with still 3 very long eps o go. Huge naval battle surely?

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields is boosted into the stratosphere by the arrival and initial charge of the Rohirrim, an achievement which even the later atrocities (such as the cringeworthy portrayal of Éowyn's confrontation with the Witch-king, or the jaw-droppingly awful appearance of Slimer and his family) are unable to undermine.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I liked that theyre both different enough in nature to be distinctive. Both visually and in what's going on action wise.

I wonder if GoT will go for a Pellenor Fields type battle? I honestly cant believe we've seen the biggest one with still 3 very long eps o go. Huge naval battle surely?

I’ve seen sets for later episodes and there’s definiteky big action still to come. Potentially bigger action. 

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I didn't think what Tyrion said was even remotely treasonous.  And Dany is already perfectly aware of the tension with Sansa.  There's nothing new or notable there IMO.

Seems like lately Daenerys is looking for any reason to kick Tyrion out.  Though luckily for him Jorah told her to listen to him before he died so who knows

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Hopefully we can actually make out whats happening on screen.

I'm sure HBO execs are addressing the complaints they must have gotten.

I would expect the episode 5 battle episode to be during the day for visual contrast with Winterfell but I honestly don’t know! I just say saw some of the sets after they were done filming!

The real question: will the North fight with what's left of the Unsullied and Dothraki?  What's left of the North in terms of soldiers?  Will Dany and Jon find a compromise?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The real question: will the North fight with what's left of the Unsullied and Dothraki?

I'm sure all the brown-skinned people that survived will be used as canon fodder in Operation: Hide Behind The Darkies!

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Who did not love the music?

I didn't. What's to love? It was mainly the same stuff as always: Bland themes in bland settings and a song-like dramatic chamber cue for the climax that makes Giacchino's piano clichees seem avant-garde. A significant part of the battle score seemed to try for something like Dunkirk (like the battle itself I suppose), creating a relentless soundscape to immerse the viewer in the battle chaos. As such it worked better than much of the series' other music, but it was hardly on Dunkirk's level (and I still don't expect that score to be of any significant interest as actual music, anyway).

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Very much after the example set by Stirling and Falkirk. The one has better fighting, the other - better drama.

I love that Falkirk starts as though it is going to be like Stirling. They're very much the mould for previous battles in Game of Thrones, like the Battle of the Bastards.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Still, like Lee said, it's hard to imagine staying so invested. The very first shot of the show opened with the Others, and we were led to believe that that would be the ultimate arc of the series, but with that storyline so unceremoniously terminated and still half a season to go, it's just hard to care as much.

At the moment I can't help but feel they completely blew it with episode 3. Of course I'm still interested to see how it finally all comes to a close, but there's no escaping the fact that I now no longer really give a shit about who lives and who dies.

People say, "well the Night King isn't even in the book, so...", but I think that misses the point of the TV adaptation entirely: the writers it seems never did completely understand the power and allure of their story's big MacGuffin.

26 minutes ago, Quintus said:

People say, "well the Night King isn't even in the book, so...", but I think that misses the point of the TV adaptation entirely: the writers it seems never did completely understand the power and allure of their story's big macGuffin.

Ridiculously ill-used I would say. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

43 minutes ago, Quintus said:

People say, "well the Night King isn't even in the book, so...", but I think that misses the point of the TV adaptation entirely: the writers it seems never did completely understand the power and allure of their story's big MacGuffin.

Indeed. Though I think this became painfully obvious and clear in the last season. When the Night King started burning down the wall so conveniently, it cemented the kind of banal plotting we would see in these concluding episodes.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:26 AM, Quintus said:

What does everyone think about the telegraphing of the possible endgame demise of the Night King by luring him out to the tree? It's a bit Death Star exhaust porty to me that, and I hope it doesn't come off that way otherwise I'll feel ripped off. 

One of the biggest reasons Game of Thrones became a TV phenomenon is because it was reliable in its shocking unpredictably. After Sean Bean's beheading, all bets were off from them on. So the fact that they closed the curtain on their big mythical hook so inconsequentially and so lazily, well, Game of Thrones jumped the shark with a degree of finality I just never would have expected in a million years.

Per Garret Stiger: "I was mostly satisfied with last night's Game of Thrones episode, but I wish I felt like all bets were still off. Many of our main characters have developed plot armor over the last couple seasons."

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

"...Many of our main characters have developed plot armor over the last couple seasons."

That's not the case; they always had plot armour (in George R. R. Martin's books as well as in Game of Thrones). The only two main characters to die have been Ned and Catelyn Stark, and they were designed specifically for the purpose of giving the impression that plot armour can't be relied upon.

8 minutes ago, KK said:

When the Night King started burning down the wall so conveniently, it cemented the kind of banal plotting we would see in this concluding episodes.

That bugged the shit out of me! 

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That bugged the shit out of me! 

We haters are an extreme minority!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReshandyAkhbar/status/1122970550576435200

https://mobile.twitter.com/therealwill17/status/1122985899934081024

One thing you can credit them for doing well enough is keeping you on the edge of your seat until the very end. The more the episode kept going, the more impossible the odds looked, the more out-of-this-world the ending had to be...right?

17 hours ago, Knox Harrington said:

One thing that I forgot about which now seems to have been total misdirection or misunderstanding on my part is the big contraption at the Citadel library that mirrors the sun/astrolabe thing from the opening credits.  When Sam leaves, he gives it one final look as though we're supposed to think he's later going to realize its use against the Walkers or something.  Guess not.  Was he just taking a final glance at the place he waited so long to get to and was now leaving?

I thought it was was a hint that after the main story is over, Sam will be the one to write down everything that happened.  He's the author of "The Song of Ice and Fire"

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

"We" haters?

On 4/29/2019 at 6:18 AM, Stefancos said:

Weird that people seem to hate this, I agree with Bilbo, it was pretty darn awesome.

Agreed in being hard to follow. The show is too dark. I had to tweak the settings on my TV just to see anything.

Arya killing NK works for me.

And for the first time in a long while we have some music that works effectively in supporting whats going on on screen.

You know, it's a terrible waste that all those white walkers are just lying around Winterfell not being put to good use. If only somebody had the magical ability to awaken them so they could fight for the good guys. 

1 hour ago, xWxzek said:

You know, it's a terrible waste that all those white walkers are just lying around Winterfell not being put to good use. If only somebody had the magical ability to awaken them so they could fight for the good guys. 

One episode to reanimate them.

one episode for them to march to kings landing.

one episode to have them engage in a siege.

show’s over. Hey cool

On 4/29/2019 at 10:27 AM, Jay said:

I wonder if that Scorpion thingy Cersei had cooked up will kill one of both of them eventually.  I can't imagine the series will end with any dragons left alive, or any other magic left on earth.

You must not have much of an imagination then? Also, what would possibly make, say, the magic of the faceless men disappear?