GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I’m still chuckling at Rian Johnson’s tweet about having an elaborate Night King theory 😂

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Sounds like the mememaker hasn’t heard of the scouring of the shire 

The scouring, though a vital and deeply satisfying part of the book, is not something that could ever have worked in the tail end of a epic 3 film adventure.

People were already complaining how long the film ran after Sauron was destroyed. PJ made the right call.

57 minutes ago, Quintus said:

cMRYphc.jpg

Well, the Mount Doom sequence *does* happen about halfway through ROTK, and the final villain in the story is Saruman...

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The scouring, though a vital and deeply satisfying part of the book, is not something that could ever have worked in the tail end of a epic 3 film adventure.

People were already complaining how long the film ran after Sauron was destroyed. PJ made the right call.

I agree - I guess the person who made the meme hasn't read the books!

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, the Mount Doom sequence *does* happen about halfway through ROTK, and the final villain in the story is Saruman...

I wouldn't say Saruman is the "Endboss" of LOTR at all. Not in the films, certainly not in the books.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Scouring of the Shire has the benefit of feeling like an epilogue though. Sauron was the big baddie of LotR, front and centre.

Maybe the White Walker played by Vladimir Furdik was only a lookalike decoy commanding a small portion of the Army of the Dead, and the real Night King Richard Brake is going to show up at King's Landing with the bulk of his forces!

Game-of-thrones-season-7-night-king-acto

I was even fully ready for him to speak some cheesy villain lines to Bran or Arya... anything new, really. Would've shown major intelligence behind this relentless force of nature.

The scouring itself can work fine.

It cannot work in an edit.

Its thematically crucial to the story, I think, but it could never have worked except in a glimpse.

I don't think the scouring of the Shire belongs in the movies.  It doesn't really need to be in the books really. 

I think the Scouring of the Shire is like Tom Bombadil in that it could work better in a film than people tend to imagine. That said, FOTR and ROTK are great films without these things and I'm never going to say that these changes were an inherently "wrong" decision. It's just not that simple.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The scouring itself can work fine.

It cannot work in an edit.

Its thematically crucial to the story, I think, but it could never have worked except in a glimpse.

That's why I preferred how they portrayed it in Fellowship of the Ring (the film) with Frodo seeing a vision of basically the Scouring of the Shire. A nice way to tie it to Sauron without the need for a small diversion later on, especially after the ordeal of the quest which is stated visually here and not through the descriptive nature of the books.

In the chapter, it always felt to me like that scene was a way of showing how the Shire isn't untouchable, or left untouched by the evil of Sauron.

It all comes down to how the stories work in each of their narrative frameworks of film or book and it's a creative choice for sure, but one I wasn't disappointed by.

It also helps that in the film the Black Gate was made more satisfying by having Merry there. I would say it diminishes the Witch King that he recovers that quickly, but the Witch King death scene already does that. Too bad the compensation was him breaking Gandalf's staff... somehow.

That was strange, because Gandalf the White is more powerful, but I kinda liked it because it made the Witch-King more threatening! 

As far as continuity goes, the theatrical film is a mess because it doesn't show Gandalf losing his staff, then later at the Grey Havens he has it back. I liked to imagine for the theatrical cut he left the staff somewhere for safekeeping!

Episode 3 of season 8 was the climax. The subsequent three episodes are the denouement. There’s nothing wrong with that. Breaking Bad did a similar thing, Return of the King had a long denouement as well. There’s still a lot of story to be tied off and it was never going to happen in the same episode as the climactic battle.

5 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Episode 3 of season 8 was the climax. The subsequent three episodes are the denouement.

I don't know that what follows can be classified as a denoument, per se. But yeah, we at least need to give the next chapter an unbiased watch and see where it goes.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

In terms of scale there is still a lot they can do. Big naval battle.

InconsequentialTornBream-size_restricted.gif

IncompatibleHelpfulBellsnake-small.gif

But bigger!

I just hope it will involve me a bit more then the Battle Of Winterfell did. The problem with it is that for over an hour the zombie army pounded our heroes to a bloody pulp, and then the main guy died and it was all over. There was no real narrative eb and flow, like Helms'Deep or Pellenor.

Well it was silly for the GoT peeps to compare the long night to the Battle of Helm's Deep, when it's closer to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in a way. A vast orc legion arrives and lays siege to Mina's Tirith. Theoden dies in Eowyn's arms Rings - Jorah dies in Dany's arms in Thrones. Then they piece everything together to go fight the last battle at the Black Gates!

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is...winter still coming?

I've been wondering that. The winter has just begun, and we were told that the maesters predicted that it will be long and severe. For millennia, the erratic seasonal cycle has had no evident dependence on the arrival of White Walkers.

The thing I can't figure out is, if there is a massive battle yet to come, what soldiers are left to fight on the side of the good guys?  The bad guys have everyone loyal to Cersei, and the 20,000 Golden Company soldiers she just bought.  The good guys have 2 dragons and... what else?  They made it seem like all or most of the Dothraki and Unsullied died in Winterfell, along with all the soldiers that were loyal to the Starks.  So if they head south to attack King's Landing, who is left to pick up and help them out along the way?  I know Yara left to go to Iron Islands, but how many of them are left that aren't with Euron?  How many boats are left that aren't Eurons?  The Eyrie's army was with the Winterfell crew for a while, right?  So who else is there?