GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Night King hasn't even featured in his books, i think.

Correct. 

17 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This is an unprovable claim (if you think about it). So I wouldn't give that much credence.

I dunno, I reckon it's probably fairly accurate.

Well techincally, the NK was first seen converting Craster's son, who is not a POV character. Then at Hardhome, where nothing of note really happened yet in the books, Jon didn't go there as I read on the wiki.

I liked all seasons of Lost, and the ending btw 

The Walking Dead is one that I stopped a few seasons ago.  Not great and no end in sight.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Dunno, biggest TV moment in history for some.

ARYA FUCK YEAH!

How did they even see anything in that giant brightly lit hall?

I normally don't give two hoots about "historical accuracy" or realism: story and watchable thrill trumps all IMO. But I know some people do get their back up about that sort of thing, and well, even I was left flabbergasted by the battle tactics implemented by the living at Winterfell.

I think this is the first and only time I've ever been bothered by battlefield strategy depicted on film while actually watching it. It was just that bad.

I knew it was gonna be one of those battles when the entire cavalry just ran off headfirst into the nothingness instead of getting ready for some last minute surprise flank, and those trebuchets being on the very frontline and firing off random shots then kinda disappearing.

Like night and day, really. It isn't hard to see that a majority of the support for the show is behind the casual audiences who care more about nudity, sex and dragons than the story that it facilitates.

How the bloody hell do you ever get ambushed at sea when you have two dragons that can scout ahead from immense height (high above scorpion range).  And how do you write into your story that sharp sticks flying real fast can take down a magical dragon anyway. 

Annoying, lazy writing... Just coming up with a quick means to the end you want regardless of how much logical sense it makes.  Oh well. 

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

And how do you write into your story that sharp sticks flying real fast can take down a magical dragon anyway. 

They did it in Season 7 north of the wall with Viserion. And that was a hand thrown spear, not three mechanically shot bolts driven through an already wounded and recovering animal over deep water. 

And JRR Tolkien set the original precedent of a sharp stick taking down a magical dragon. 

For all we know, that dragon has been slowly limping across the floor of the bay and survived. 

I'm more annoyed that they got ambushed to begin with, than the lethality of the scorpion. Seriously, how do you let yourself ever get ambushed like that. It's ridiculous. 

They could have come up with a better way for Dany to lose a dragon and Missandei. 

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

How the bloody hell do you ever get ambushed at sea when you have two dragons that can scout ahead from immense height (high above scorpion range). 

The dragons were only looking at what the camera showed them, the ships were hidden behind a cliff, and Dany underestimated that Qyburn could develop scorpions v 2.0. 

It's a classic horror movie trope. It's how you don't hear the snarling clicking zombie until it's biting you because the camera wasn't looking there. Lazy but a means to an end. 

The stupid part was moving the dragons in daylight. Even with the GOT Season 7 Fast Travel DLC installed, moving from Winterfell to Dragonstone should have taken a day or two. Wait for the cover of darkness for the ships to have no sightlines. Or she could even have waited for a little sliver of moon on the either side of a new moon. Times like this are when you need Bran to warg into recon birds. They never thought about Euron at all. 

Now I'm disappointed that there's no snow in Kings Landing. Is the advancing winter a function of the white walkers, vice versa, or are they mutually exclusive? The show hasn't said. 

1 hour ago, xWxzek said:

Times like this are when you need Bran to warg into recon birds. They never thought about Euron at all. 

Yea...he turned out to be real useless eh?

Bleh episode. And a terribly unceremonious, but narratively convenient end to a dragon. Also, it seems certain that Dany must die now.

Disappointing followup to last week. Lost a lot the will/interest left in the season to be honest.

Arya killing the Night King was mentioned at least twice. Dany even toasted her during the feast. The hero of Winterfell she called her. 

Mad Queen Dany has had lots of foreshadowing. Pretty much since season 1. She has always had a penchant for burning people alive. She’s always had advisors to keep her in check but she’s losing them now.

In general, I basically enjoyed all the stuff in the North and despised everything not (minus the Varys-Tyrion scene which was great).

As with last week, it's not so much the actual plot developments themselves that bother me so much as the storytelling in the episode, which still feels clunky as all get out.

Oddly enough, probably my favorite scene in the whole episode was Arya and the Hound riding off together to King's Landing, felt like old times.

I guess it's a race to see who gets to kill Cersei first: Arya or Jaime?

And Jon will kill Dany because she's gone mad and is burning everyone. He doesnt take the Iron Throne but instead retires beyond the wall to live as a free man. The episode kinda sets that up.

Gendry could take the throne now that he's a legit Baratheon.

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oddly enough, probably my favorite scene in the whole episode was Arya and the Hound riding off together to King's Landing, felt like old times.

Yes! I wish there was more of this, but it looks like those times are truly over!

I liked the beginning of the episode, and the convo between Tyrion & Varys was good. But it descended into garbage very quickly.

Cersei, the woman who blew up a sept to get what she wanted, doesn't attack the leaders of an enemy army at her doorstep?

She doesn't kill Tyrion on sight, who she had already sent Bronn to murder?

Tyrion mentions he already knew Cersei was preggers, but no reaction shot from Euron on how he knew that?

Apparently the plot of the final two episodes has been leaked on the web. But who cares at this point? I doubt many fans of the books do. I know I don't.

The extended funeral sequence was boring. How are we supposed to care about the fallen if their own generals didn't when they sent them to their doom out of sheer incompetence? All the rest of the post battle stuff was alright though, there were some nice little 1 to 1s in there. Actually, it's only extra disappointing now that the drama returned quite well to the story in this episode. But it all feels so meaningless to me, after the events of last week.

Jamie will probably kill his sister, I reckon. But who gives a shit anymore?

This'll go down as the biggest most anticlimactic failure to a much loved ficton in history. They absolutely blew it, it's incredible.

Born together, die together. Some characters gotta have dramatically satisfying payoffs and arcs, right? ...Right?