GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

Or a completely impactless but fun mistake that happens all the time.

I'd been absolutely loving this season till this gaff. It's ruined everything!

I like how Jon telling his remaining family to swear to never tell anyone what he's about to reveal felt like having a soundtrack buddy swear they should share this incredibly rare lossless sessions bootleg with anyone else!

It was of course no surprise that Sansa immediately told Tyrion would immediately told Varys, and it was nice that Dany was smart enough to predict this beforehand.

And it is completely true to Jon's character that he would tell Sansa and Arya anyway even after Dany laid the consequences out for them.  At least they now know that Ned never cheated on Catelyn!

Yea, no freaking idea.  The writers just have no idea what to do with him, and frankly I don't either

They should have removed The Last Hearth from the opening credits, and added Dragonstone

Who is still on Arya's kill list these days?  Is it just Cersei?  She either killed or removed everyone else from the list right?

Bran just seems to be the disabled Alzheimer's Stark now. If his character doesn't amount to anything more before the end then it'll truly be the final big piss take of the show!

Just now, Quintus said:

Bran just seems to be the disabled Alzheimer's Stark now. If his character doesn't amount to anything more before the end then it'll truly be the final big piss take of the show!

HBO keeps him on the show because they have an all-inclusive policy and are required to have a disabled person on the show.

I wish Jon would have pointed out how unfair it was for Dany to insist he keep the secret to himself. 

Granted, his birthright was a hindrance his entire life. It estranged him from Cat. His siblings love him well enough, and his accomplishments at the Wall have enders himself to his men. 

But he's not a bastard, never was, and shouldn't need to act like he is. I know that monarchs can legitimize bastards (Ramsay, Gendry, etc.) but here it would be an empty gesture. 

Dany must die. 

Dany appears to be one step closer to becoming the Mad Queen. Lots of foreshadowing of Westeros basically rejecting her as ruler after she seizes control from Cersei. Should be an excellent final two episodes, can't wait!

Are you truly expecting them to be "excellent"?

Or just... satisfactory?

I think this episode may be the first time I was ever really impressed with Clarke's acting on this show.  Her silent fuming and eventual raging.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Dany appears to be one step closer to becoming the Mad Queen. Lots of foreshadowing of Westeros basically rejecting her as ruler after she seizes control from Cersei. Should be an excellent final two episodes, can't wait!

Dany turning "evil" is something thats always been a possibility, but also something the show have never really leaned into. I think it would have worked if this is was done gradually, over a couple of seasons. Now she seems to literally turn in one episode.

Pity....

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I think this episode may be the first time I was ever really impressed with Clarke's acting on this show.  Her silent fuming and eventual raging.

Yes, Clarke was better than she had been in years.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Dany turning "evil" is something thats always been a possibility, but also something the show have never really leaned into. I think it would have worked if this is was done gradually, over a couple of seasons. Now she seems to literally turn in one episode.

She's been incinerating and crucifying people for years!

9 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

And all of the people that tried to keep a check on her are getting killed! 

9 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Bad people!

This, basically. And we spend seasons with her learning to become a just Ruler, and when she gets to Westeros she torches Sam's family for not bending the knee.

Weird.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I agree that she was really good there, however, I will say she was ALSO very good 2 episodes ago when Jon told her about his lineage, if you watch her face in that scene she subtlely goes through a range of emotions too, like in this scene.  Good stuff.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Pity....

That is my major problem as well.  Nicely stated.

I dunno if she always HAD that talent, I mean, she was terrible in that Terminator movie.  Maybe she recently took the time to study her craft more, or something.

How was she in Solo?

Clarke was also always left with typica one-liners that didn't ask much of any actor. But she's definitely gotten a little better this season.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

No!

For instance, as soon as she took control of Meereen, she crucified a large number of the members of its aristocracy who were selected on the basis of filling a quota, without implementing any process to determine whether those selected were guilty of the crime of which they were accused (not that I'm endorsing crucifixion). In fact, some of those that she crucified were opponents of the crime for which they were punished.

She was neither purely good nor purely evil then, and is neither purely good nor purely evil now. Anyone who bought into the saintly messianic image that she holds of herself wasn't paying proper attention!

What has changed, primarily, is that her ire is being increasingly directed towards characters with whom the audience has sympathy, making it appear more maliciously antagonistic rather than righteous and justified.

Gloin gets it. Aside from the Starks, there are few, if any, characters that wholesomely represent true "virtue" and "moral goodness".

Dany was always problematic, though not necessarily more barbaric than most rulers of Westeros. She just has a bunch of dragons at her disposal. Which makes her scarier. The whole point in Martin's world has been that "good" and "bad" are arbritrary, circumstantial values anyway.

She made no impression on me in SOLO.  I had forgotten she was even in it until I just looked her up on wikipedia to see if I had seen her in anything else besides GOT and that Terminator movie :lol:

Don't you not like Star Wars anymore anyway?

(by which I mean, you're less likely to remember supporting cast from movies you don't care much about)

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm more annoyed that they got ambushed to begin with, than the lethality of the scorpion. Seriously, how do you let yourself ever get ambushed like that. It's ridiculous. 

Thank you for that!

When that happened, I honestly thought it would be a dream sequence before the real events were to unfold.

The level of "stupid" in their battle strategies is really distracting.

Of course movies never do seem to understand how visibility works at sea.

Having worked at sea myself, I find this especially annoying.

You can easily see 10-20 miles in those circumstances.

Were they really not paying ANY attention at all?!?

And why were those arrows stronger than your average cannonball volley?

Talk about overpowered!!

Just read an interesting point. 

I hope Euron is smart enough to put this together. He just discovered that Cersei does have an unborn baby, and he believes it's his. But Jaime told Tyrion that Cersei is pregnant with his child. Tyrion makes a passioned plea for that unborn child before Missandei is executed. 

From Euron's POV, Tyrion has information he cannot have unless Euron is being played for a fool. 

There will be a confrontation. 

14 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Thank you for that!

Honestly, when that happened, I honestly thought it would be a dream sequence before the real events were to unfold.

The level of "stupid" in their battle strategies is really distracting.

Of course movies never do seem to understand how visibility works at sea.

You can easily see 10-20 miles in those circumstances.

Were they really not paying ANY attention at all?!?

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

movies never do seem to understand how visibility works at sea.

That explains your profile picture! I always wondered if it was just you posing or it was your profession.

Episode 4. I’m not really sure how I feel about it all. I guess my biggest problem is that most of the people seem to be behaving totally out of character.

Why is everyone suddenly going anti-Daenerys? What did she ever do that upsets them so much? Yeah, she’s not the rightful Queen, but Jon doesn’t care. She turned up to help the north, didn’t she? She loves Jon – all right, maybe it’s partly faked – but still.

Then there’s Varys. So he spent four seasons working with bastards and being totally okay with that, and now suddenly, in five minutes, he’s worried that Dany might be going mad? Again, what’s wrong with Dany all of a sudden?

Then, Tyrion. Why does he keep negotiating with Cersei? It’s dangerous, man! To protect Dany from herself, or because he still isn’t tired of her? Thank God he survived.

Then, Jamie. What the hell? First he’s walking out on Cersei, now he’s going back to her?

Then, Bronn. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Then, Brienne. Crying?

Missandei: Yeah, sad.

Music: Someone help, quick. Need to hear something other than cello. Please, somebody.

Yea everything happens way too fast now.

Brienne crying over Jamie only would have made sense if one season ended with her and Jaime staying in Winterfell as Dany & Jon sailed away, and now some months and several episodes later Dany gets ambushed by Cersei, and Jaime decides to leave Brienne.  When everything happens IN THE SAME EPISODE you just can't take any of it seriously.

Same with Varys, the writers decided he needs to be anti-Dany for the final 2 episodes, so they have him turn on here here, in ONE episode.  Again, it should have been a slow change over a whole season.

They are just rushing to the end now and it really, REALLY shows.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

This also bothered me but this dude sums it up better:

Screenshot_20190506-221706_Reddit.jpg

It's basically textbook Indiana Jones without Indiana Jones and John Williams.

15 minutes ago, toothless said:

One thing though. Last week « light of the sevens » wannabe piece of music didn’t work for me, but the sad cello rendition at the beginning of today’s episode worked pretty great :) 

Yes! I was kinda hoping they’d upload that this week too. Will definitely be on the soundtrack anyway.

58 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That explains your profile picture! I always wondered if it was just you posing or it was your profession.

Truth be told, in my profile picture I was just posing.

It was taken by an old colleague of mine on USS Constitution a few years back.

We decided to pay her a visit when the cruise ship we worked on was in Boston.

I haven't sailed on a large sailing ship yet, but I very much want to one day.

The attached picture with Antarctica in the background is actually more real.

Even though, for some reason, it looks more fake.

But if it were fake, I wouldn't have looked so cold!

Figure that one out... :D

42 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's basically textbook Indiana Jones without Indiana Jones and John Williams.

I like Indiana Jones. And John Williams.

It doesn't fit with Game of Thrones though.

Do you think the creative team is already getting into Star Wars mode?

These shenanigans might work better there...

FB_IMG_1542050913568.jpg

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, no freaking idea.  The writers just have no idea what to do with him, and frankly I don't either

^^^^
This is exactly what should have been done with him, given the setup. In fact imagining the episode actually happened the way described in that video makes me much happier. :D

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Who is still on Arya's kill list these days?  Is it just Cersei?  She either killed or removed everyone else from the list right?

The Mountain is also on her list, at least.

Yavar

I think it's a foregone conclusion that both Cersei and The Mountain will die within the final two episodes, the questions is whether Arya or Jamie will kill Cersei, and whether Arya or The Hound will kill The Mountain.

And will Jaime or the Hound dies as well, or survive to the end.

And of course will Daenerys or Jon die/survive.

I can't imagine Sansa or Arya or Bran or Sam will die.

No idea how this silly Bronn/crossbow plot will end up.

Varys seems like a goner too.

Tyrion, I have no idea.  My coworker is convinced he will end up ruling Westeros as king.