GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Varys's story of his castration involved his parts being burned by a sorcerer in a brazier, and the terrible voice which answered from the blue flames has haunted him ever since.

Now we know the White Walkers are Lacanians flaunting their Phis...

1 minute ago, Jay said:

where it's never even been brought up again after he told Tyrion the story

This is not true. The Red Priestess who came to Meereen reminded him of it, and asked if he would like to know the name of the one to whom the voice belonged.

Oh snap, I forgot about that!

I wonder if that will be paid off now that she's dead

Just now, Jay said:

I wonder if that will be paid off now

ROTFLMAO

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

In fairness to D&D though, some of their changes have been absolutely brilliant. Arya and Tywin in season 2 for example isn’t in the books and neither is Hardhome from season 5. The army of the dead is even less developed in the books. Dorne was fucking awful in the show but it’s still better than whatever it was he was trying to do in the books and jettisoning the awful fake Aegon and Lady Stoneheart plots were wise decisions.

Dorne is far more interesting in the books than the show. Especially Doran Martell's character. And the (fake?) Aegon/Stoneheart stuff is actually pretty interesting and keeps in line with Martin's usual themes of false prophecies and whatnot. But I concede that those ideas would not have translated too well on the show.

5 minutes ago, KK said:

Dorne is far more interesting in the books than the show. Especially Doran Martell's character. And the (fake?) Aegon/Stoneheart stuff is actually pretty interesting and keeps in line with Martin's usual themes of false prophecies and whatnot. But I concede that those ideas would not have translated too well on the show.

I think Lady Stoneheart sort of robs the Red Wedding of some of its impactful ness.

The F/Aegon isn’t for me. We know that isn’t going anywhere. 

we can at least agree the Iron Island Kingsmoot is shite? 

On 5/6/2019 at 5:47 PM, Disco Stu said:

People are turning the brightness way up to point out the Starbucks cup, but yes it's there.

At least they learned something from Ep 3...

On 5/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, KK said:

How was she in Solo?

Really good, I thought! After liking her in the earlier GoT seasons and being disappointed by her flat portrayal of Daenerys once she becomes a leader, Solo convinced me that she can in fact act.

15 hours ago, Bilbo said:

GRRM started Game of Thrones in 1991. It’s completely his fault that the show ran out of source material to adapt. 

15 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Its also his fault that the books turned to shite because he doesn’t plan in advance and makes it all up as he goes leaving him in a position where he’ll never be able to unravel the convoluted mess of his own story.

So rather like Tolkien then?

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

At least they learned something from Ep 3...

Really good, I thought! After liking her in the earlier GoT seasons and being disappointed by her flat portrayal of Daenerys once she becomes a leader, Solo convinced me that she can in fact act.

So rather like Tolkien then?

Hey. I’m not saying he can’t take his time with his books. What I’m saying is he can’t sell the rights to a half completed series and then bitch when the adaptation passes him out and doesn’t do what he would have done.

He wishes he was half as good as Tolkien! 

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

For many seasons Dany has been pretty much portrayed as a hero. Or more than that, she's the show's Messiah, who broke free from the slavery imposed upon her and became a symbol of a struggle against oppression. We have seen her kill people who have wronged her or wronged people she was fighting for, we have seen her establishing herself in Mereen trying to be a just Ruler rather than a tyrant king like her father. 

That kinda went away once she landed in Westeros and started imposing her will on a population of who she believed she's the rightful heir. And now, pretty much in the space of one episode they made her paranoid and vengeful.

She's always been power hungry, wrathful and righteous, believing herself fully entitled to rule Westeros, to have full moral authority over everyone and the right to torture and kill everyone who disagrees with her. And she's always been entirely without regard for the people she's determined to rule. Yes, she probably felt truly compassionate for the slaves in Meereen, having felt their plight herself. But even then, she considered herself morally superior to all her enemys, and in those days might even have been to many, if not for the fact that she took it as a justification for torturing and killing them simply because she decided that they were wrong. She stubbornly considered (almost) all Baratheons and Lannisters to be heathens to her godly claim to power and to deserve death for being part of their family. Counselled by Tyrion & Co, she relented a bit, and did seem to understand that not everything was as black & white as she thought (and had been made to believe as a child), but I still rather expected her to doom Gendry in this last episode (and I'm not sure if her legitimising him instead wasn't more a tactical choice than what she actually believed to be right). And perhaps most importantly, she always expected all the peoples of Westeros to love and cherish her simply for her being her father's daughter, and to do everything to put her on the throne, but she never even seems to have considered that any rightful ruler of Westeros should have an obligation to her/his subjects and rule for their benefit rather than because of being entitled to it. Sounds rather Trumpian, all in all.

11 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Hey. I’m not saying he can’t take his time with his books. What I’m saying is he can’t sell the rights to a half completed series and then bitch when the adaptation passes him out and doesn’t do what he would have done.

Well that, yes. And I certainly hope that he's going to finish the books, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't. But with all the entitlement floating around these past years, I think it's worth keeping in mind that, as Gaiman says, he doesn't *owe* us the remaining books.

11 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

He wishes he was half as good as Tolkien! 

Oh, I wouldn't say he is. But his M.O. (modus operandi!) is similar - both in making it up as he goes along (c.f. LOTR) and in perhaps never finishing it c.f. the Silmarillion).

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Bummer, innit!

I do think it's rather curious that many people seem to be surprised and claim that she's suddenly turning from a lawful good Paladin into Joffrey. She's fairly consistent, really, and anyone considering her morally sound and justified in her earlier actions is rather too close to her own (and all to many real players' in the world right now) political ideas for my personal taste.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well that, yes. And I certainly hope that he's going to finish the books, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't. But with all the entitlement floating around these past years, I think it's worth keeping in mind that, as Gaiman says, he doesn't *owe* us the remaining books.

Oh, I wouldn't say he is. But his M.O. (modus operandi!) is similar - both in making it up as he goes along (c.f. LOTR) and in perhaps never finishing it c.f. the Silmarillion).

Oh absolutely, he doesn’t owe anyone anything. If Winds comes out I’ll read it, if not I won’t lose any sleep. 

The Silmarillion is a bit different though. Tolkien completed the Lord of the Rings. The Sil is different because it’s an entire mythology and several languages. 

Just now, Bilbo said:

The Silmarillion is a bit different though. Tolkien completed the Lord of the Rings. The Sil is different because it’s an entire mythology and several languages. 

Certainly. But Tolkien's plan always was to finish and publish the Sil, and was in negotiations with his publisher right after finishing LOTR, even before it was even released. And he did take more than a decade to write LOTR - but luckily it was (mostly) finished before anything was published.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Certainly. But Tolkien's plan always was to finish and publish the Sil, and was in negotiations with his publisher right after finishing LOTR, even before it was even released. And he did take more than a decade to write LOTR - but luckily it was (mostly) finished before anything was published.

Be never complained about someone adapting it for TV though and doing things differently because he hadn’t it finished yet!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He doesn't owe it to fans, he owes it to the lasting value of his own creation and his own legacy.

And incomplete work is not necessarily an inferior work but it is a work with an asterisk.

If his books remain unfinished, their legacy will be as the source material to have inspired a media empire. The LOTR books have their own legacy, a richer legacy than the movies. The HP books have their own legacy - richer than movies. 

The Martin books will have a hard time - if he doesn't finish them. So yeah, he owes it to his own legacy.

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I think Lady Stoneheart sort of robs the Red Wedding of some of its impactful ness.

The F/Aegon isn’t for me. We know that isn’t going anywhere. 

we can at least agree the Iron Island Kingsmoot is shite? 

I think Lady Stoneheart adds another layer to all the Lord of Light stuff actually. 

But yes, we can agree the Iron Island stuff is dull as shit.

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

No matter how disappointing seasons 7 or 8 of GoT are compared with the preceding seasons, I think it's silly to say that the show has fully "jumped the shark". There is still plenty of good stuff mixed in with the bad (which almost makes it more painful). Even the stupid North of the Wall "let's go abduct a wight" episode from season 7 was chock full of *wonderful* character interaction/conversations early on.

And there is no way GoT is remotely as bad as The Walking Dead quickly became.

Yavar

Nah. I'm pretty sure GoT jumped the shark, by the definition of the phrase, when they had that idiotic mission north of the Wall in season 7. What a stupid stupid stupid plan. Just shitty writing.

I don't think anything in season 8 gets as bad as that.

3 hours ago, KK said:

Nah. I'm pretty sure GoT jumped the shark, by the definition of the phrase, when they had that idiotic mission north of the Wall in season 7. What a stupid stupid stupid plan. Just shitty writing.

I don't think anything in season 8 gets as bad as that.

Thank you!

THANK YOU!

3 hours ago, KK said:

I'm pretty sure GoT jumped the shark, by the definition of the phrase

As disastrous as that episode was, it takes more than a drop in quality to effect a shark jump. The reason depends on which of the various defintions of the expression one adopts, but the essence of it is that the events depicted weren't concocted simply for novelty value or to try to drum up interest in a waning show; at the time, Game of Thrones had never been more popular, had finished its preceding season with two of its most acclaimed episodes ever, and the general nature of the sensational events depicted at that stage of the story had been predictable for years. The cause of the failure (along with some rather mediocre film-making) was not the attempt to be novel or sensational, but rather a ham-fisted effort at moving the plot into the place that they wanted it to be going into the final season.

What reason did we have to believe they were invulnerable? Besides I was more interested in seeing how she would cope without dragons and a myriad of 'Buckbeak's Flight-esque' sequences.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

What reason did we have to believe they were invulnerable?

Because that's what the show has been hinting at for years?

Killing a second dragon isnt the problem, its the ridiculous way they did that scene. I suppose they wanted to do it as a sudden dramatic twist, but it just looked dumb, and had zero emotional impact.

How do we know smiths of the time couldn't forge a cup like that? They can make giant crossbows and pyramidal cities, but a cup is too far?

Again, it wasn't Starbucks, just a generic coffee cup

Though I am sure Starbucks is loving all the free advertising they continue to get

42 minutes ago, Quintus said:

They've replaced the offending continuity error now with with a walkie talkie, so maybe it's time that people moved on with their lives.

Hilarious how that is the biggest GoT hype so far!

Says it all, innit?

Wow people are rating this episode REAL low

58410462_2289888947734798_47192289604060

That low season 5 episode is the one where Sansa gets raped by Ramsay (and Jaime and Bronn begin their Dorne adventure)

It really isn’t as bad as the Internet is making out. I’m growing very weary of this “it’s either the best thing ever or the worst” narrative that’s so popular at the moment. There’s no middle ground at all. 

That's what happens when you're making the most popular TV show of all time. Populism knows no middle-ground.

Who'd have thought that the social media culture would facilitate a system of self-reinforcing opinion loops?!

I know nobody (off the internet) who has expressed serious disappointment with the current season so far. Reactions to the third episode have ranged from positive to ecstatic.

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What kind of person rates things on IMDB anyway?  Does anyone here rate things there?

This guy!  When I remember.  I like honing my recommendations!

Otherwise, it's pretty unenlightening, because I tend to like most things, so almost everything gets a C-grade (7/10) or better.  I would have given the last two GoT episodes a B (8/10).

You should see the entire obscene obsessive check-in/rating folder I have for TV and movies.  Movies get a check-in and a rating on IMDB, a check-in and a rating on Letterboxd, and a rating on Flickchart.  TV shows get a check-in and rating on IMDB when I remember, and check-ins on Trakt, tv show tracker, Next Episode, and TV Time.  WE ALL HAVE HOBBIES