GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

11 hours ago, KK said:

Well let's not pretend that GoT was still the stuff of gold before Battle of Winterfell. The show has been in a proper steady decline since season 7, and probably for some time before that too. I'd say this season's worst tendencies are very much in line with the kind of writing we saw last year. It's just that we're dealing with more narrative payoff now, so the crummier writing just hits harder.

What was once an intriguing teleplay based in a pseudo-fantasy world, has become your typical Hollywood spectacle over character blockbuster. Still makes for great entertainment every now and then, but it's a very different kind of beast now.

But it still has that coolness factor and all the hot chicks list it as the only show they ever watch on their OKC profiles.

I’ve always disliked that kind of storytelling. Drum up the tension of the withheld information only to cut away at the last second. I get that scene real estate is a luxury this season but I feel like we deserved to feel the reactions of the characters in those moments.

We’ve seen the revea of Jon’s parentage 3 times already. We really didn’t need to see it again. 

8 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I’ve always disliked that kind of storytelling. Drum up the tension of the withheld information only to cut away at the last second. I get that scene real estate is a luxury this season but I feel like we deserved to feel the reactions of the characters in those moments.

Yes!

I didn't feel deprived of much by that particular omission since there wasn't much to expect from their reactions in the first place. Any tension there might have been in the scene was down to the question of whether Jon was going to let the cat out of the bag. Other than Jon and Daenerys, Catelyn Stark was the one character whose reaction to the revelation would have been relevant.

3 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Catelyn Stark was the one character whose reaction to the revelation would have been relevant.

Yeah about that… it might be explained in the books but… how come Ned never told her ? I mean, it looks like she's a character who can keep secrets… Would have made everything easier.

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I think the primary explanation is that he would have been making her complicit in treason.

Although it’s never really stated. I always found it a bit of a stretch. 

But then again, Catelyn’s actions help sell Ned’s deception anyway so that’s probably for the best. 

Also, Ned barely knew Catelyn before he went off to the war anyway. So who knew if she could be trusted!

He never told her because he's a man of his word, and because the more people knew Jon's heritage, the more likely Robert Baratheon would find out and have Jon killed

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

He never told her because he's a man of his word, and because the more people knew Jon's heritage, the more likely Robert Baratheon would find out and have Jon killed

We saw last episode what happens if people knew. :)

5 hours ago, KK said:

Also, Ned barely knew Catelyn before he went off to the war anyway. So who knew if she could be trusted!

This is because, if I remember correctly, Cat was originally betrothed to one of Ned's brothers that was killed when the Stark men went to King's Landing to request the release of the kidnapped Lyanna. Not even the Mad King knew that she had eloped willingly. Their (Ned and Cat) marriage was political first, and Jon's secret identity was a political complication. 

They still had a loving family and more children after Jon's arrival north. 

I'm being completely serious when I say the piano ditty at the end of this cue sounds just like the amateur doodling I used to put together when I dabbled a bit on a keyboard many years ago. It's that primitive and rubbish.

Someone there reposted a fun perspective: the show is the version of the "true" events someone's uncle tells a few hundred years later at a wedding while getting progressively more drunk, slurring words, leaving out details and forgetting things by the end and everyone going home a bit disappointed.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Didn’t you get the memo? It’s the greatest piece of music ever written for television.

59 minutes ago, Holko said:

Itz so epuc

People get violently defensive when you dare to criticise Djawadi on social media. And I've noticed it seems to be Asian fans who are the most vehemently aggressive towards naysayers; one of them told me he hopes I die in a car crash after I said the underscore in the series is bland.

1 hour ago, xWxzek said:

A pity that castle wall looks like any number of fortified cities that Dany freed in Essos, instead of King's Landing. 

It was just dogshit, it looked like they filmed it in the carpark behind the carpark of an abandoned quarry and then they CG'd the same guard on each of the battlements ctrl+c, ctrl+v x50. From a production design and visual standpoint, there was nothing imposing, threatening, mighty, majestic or anything interesting about the wall. Part of that is just a lack of style in cinematic framing, camera movements etc. These important elements that make or break a film are just slap-dash, cut-n'-paste, afterthoughts instead of carefully planned and conscious artistic decisions and makes scenes like this hollow and fake.

Perhaps they ran over budget?  

Monty Python and the Holy Grail had more artistry...

EssentialBlandElephant-size_restricted.gif

They actually moved KL inland in the intro. Now it's desert plains on all sides instead of foresty hills/mountain on one and the Sea on three.

I'm starting to feel pretty bad for the showrunners. They're now receiving the same level of vitriol that GRRM has been copping for over a decade. Speaking of which, I'm sensing a bit of a "the Prequels were good after all" vibe from previous critics of Martin as many book fans look forward to seeing how the story is supposed to end.

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I wasnt aware of the vitriol levelled against Martin. Is it because he hasnt finished yet?

He has received a constant barrage of abuse, death threats and all kinds of nonsense for a while now. He's a slow writer for sure, but the combination of the show overtaking the books and the incredible anticipation for the next book has obviously had a significant impact on his mental health, and in all likelihood, ability to write. 

The old adage of "No-one hates Star Wars more than fans of Star Wars" is very, very much in play here. 

On a personal note, my own dissatisfaction with the show is heavily tempered by the fact that I've read and really enjoy the books (and more than a few of the accompanying texts) and I know that I'll one day be able to get the full story.