GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Its not that it caught me at unawares, its that it didn't.

Compare it to Breaking Bad, when you suddenly realize Walt is a monster. And that happened at different times for most.

The change is subtle, gradual. With Daenerys its not, and you're not the one who suddenly realises the change, its forced upon you by the showrunners.

It was *almost* (though not quite) as bad as Anakin Fuckin' Skywalker in the strangely-overrated shitfest called Revenge of the Sith. But more frustrating because she was a character who grew over the course of seven seasons and we really cared about. They needed 20 episodes these last couple seasons to really pull off a believable gradual turn, but they wanted to shock people instead I guess so it just felt stupid and poorly handled.

Walter White or Londo Mollari this was not.

Yavar

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It just reminded me of this:

Without any of the class or majesty of course.

The episode might have worked better if it didn't become so terribly monotonous after Dany goes mad. For the director who made "Hardhome", you'd think there would be more dramatic inflections in the chaos.

Weird how we’ll never see Cersei and Jaime again. That’s it. Finito. It’s a pretty crushing (no pun intended) and disappointing end to 7 and a bit seasons of character development. Of course we’re not entitled to a satisfying conclusion but I feel a bit short changed by that decision. 

The episode did not feel like the penultimate one. God knows how they’re going to wrap up everything next week, but I’m sure whatever they do will leave a lot of people pissed.

Yes there seems to still be a considerable amount of characters and storylines left to wrap up next week.  I'm surprised it's only 80 minutes.

53 minutes ago, Holko said:

And it's they themselves who decided to rush it and get out even when HBO was willing to up the budget and do 10 episode seasons.

Not only that; HBO was willing (and George R.R. Martin originally wanted) TEN 10-episode seasons.

Yavar

I know they’ve got to balance a large cast of characters, but having Cersei and Sansa-less episodes (especially in the final season) really is bizarre to me.

It was... it was...well, it was.

Poor Lena Headey. She had absolutely nothing to work with this year. 

At least it's all going to be over next week.

Karol

If the worst part of the leak is true, the wrapup will be simple.

Spoiler

Bran is King and everyone including Bronn is on his council.

Just now, crocodile said:

It was... it was...well, it was.

At least it's all going to be over next week.

Karol

:lol:

Wonder how many of the show's new hypercasual target audience even recognized the name "Sandor".

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

If the worst part of the leak is true, the wrapup will be simple.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure this should be in the thread even in spoiler tag.  Not my call though.  Either way, it's heinous and unspeakable and if it is the conclusion I will burn my blu ray box sets (this is a joke).

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

(this is a joke)

I don't know, it seems like a relatively reasonable reaction.

Eh, I posted the other leaks here already in multiple spoiler boxes.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don't know, it seems like a relatively reasonable reaction.

Eh, I posted the other leaks here already in multiple spoiler boxes.

Everything else in the image you showed me has been true, but I keep hoping that's just to throw off the scent, and that the ultimate end is a red herring thrown out by the production on purpose in case it leaked.

From what I understand, they filmed multiple different endings, so there is so such thing as an actual leak for the ending of the show, as any extras or people who spied on the sets wouldn't know which ending was real.  There are no leaks from the finished, edited episodes, the leaks are from any outdoor filming that had to take place.  From what I understand.

Yeah that comes feom an Emilia outburst 2 years ago. John Bradley recently said he doesn't think it's right - so much money and time goes into every frame that filming multiple scenes with the intention being notto include them from the start is a huge wast of materials that could make the actual stuff better. I'd say onset misdirection might be much more feasible, calling armies of extras to stand around amd look busy, calling an actor on an off day to watch the set but not actually be onscreen.

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Poor Lena Headey. She had absolutely nothing to work with this year. 

Indeed. Headey really got short-changed this season.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It was *almost* (though not quite) as bad as Anakin Fuckin' Skywalker in the strangely-overrated shitfest called Revenge of the Sith. But more frustrating because she was a character who grew over the course of seven seasons and we really cared about. They needed 20 episodes these last couple seasons to really pull off a believable gradual turn, but they wanted to shock people instead I guess so it just felt stupid and poorly handled.

Walter White or Londo Mollari this was not.

Yavar

I'd say even Anakin's descent into dark side was more believable. There was always that edge to Anakin where you could feel that with some different life choices he could easily end up a bad guy.

Dany went from one of the heroes to genocidal Hitler in the few moments it takes to ring some bells.

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I'd say even Anakin's descent into dark side was more believable. There was always that edge to Anakin where you could feel that with some different life choices he could easily end up a bad guy.

Dany went from one of the heroes to genocidal Hitler in the few moments it takes to ring some bells.

“From my point of view the innocent people of Kings Landing are evil”

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Any conjecture as to why Yara's fleet wasn't seen or mentioned in any way in this....final battle?

She's fiercly guarding the Iron Islands for Her Queen from absolutely no one!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Did anyone get a close look at the mother Arya made leave the building?  Did she have green eyes?  Maybe it fills the prophecy that Arya will kill someone with green eyes that people thought meant Cersei.

Well, she killed loads of people already. One of them might have had green eyes.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Just saw last night's episode, and.....wow! A spectacular episode in more ways than one; probably my favourite of the whole series! Not just in the action, but the way it was staged, the point-of-views, that very Ridley Scott-ian ending and so on. I was flabbergasted from start to finish.

I appreciate the alternative POV.  There were indeed some very impressive visual setpieces.

Yeah, all the way through I was thinking this is beautiful, if only the motive, consistency and characters were properly there to support it. Certainly much better staged than the invisible, confused and nearly incomprehensible Episode 3.

Yes, I've noticed that the episode has received some criticism for those aspect (motives, characters, plot etc.), but I didn't notice anything that I didn't find totally justifiable and well-written. Then again, that's never been the most important thing for me. I'm more about the visceral potency of it all.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Come on now

Should we introduce him to this revolutionary filmmaking genius called Michael Bay?