GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Episode 9.

WOW. That, was, (mostly,) brilliant. What I really loved is how this episode was determined not to give me anything I wanted to see: Dany calming down, Varys surviving, X violently killing Cersei, etc. I'm only tired of Greyworm and don't understand why the Mountain is so difficult to kill either. I did really love Qyburn's sudden ending and I felt so scared for Arya when she was approaching the horse. I also actually felt sorry for Cersei for the first time ever! I still don't know how I feel about Dany just going mad, though. It could have been set up in a better way and I’m also unclear as to whether Dany was actively burning the city or whether she just finally lost control over the stupid animal. Varys' death happened too quickly as well.

What I loved about the music was the really low, distorted, morbid brass music.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I'd say even Anakin's descent into dark side was more believable. There was always that edge to Anakin where you could feel that with some different life choices he could easily end up a bad guy.

Dany went from one of the heroes to genocidal Hitler in the few moments it takes to ring some bells.

Bullshit. Dany has had as much, if not more evil potential than Anakin since S2 and it has been obvious for years that it would only take a push to make her a villain.

Just watched epi 5 now. Self contained, I thought it was marvelous. So many great scenes, from the 1to1 character dialogues through to the scenes of dragon fire shock and awe, I thought it was everything I wanted from a Game of Thrones final season showdown. Absolutely loved the scarred brothers confrontation, especially how it ended between those too, I thought the photography and direction was powerful as fuck there especially (although it was excellent throughout the episode). Cersei's downfall was the only major disappointment of the episode for me, and I'd have been seriously gutted about it too, if the previous episodes this season hadn't already conditioned me to expect grossly unsatisfying shite at intervals.

Yes, there are issues with the episode too, but I'm no longer concerned with wasting any more of my time picking those stupid details apart. The main takeaway of this episode for me was that it made me feel the story and the characters again, and I was riveted. That's the best I could have hoped for now.

Again, this episode only makes the disaster of this show's final six denouncement all the more saddening for me. Just an enormous squandering of mouthwatering potential. It was completely undone by IDIOTIC writing.

Ps: Euron Greyjoy is one of TVs horriblist characters ever, what a total pile of unearnt wank he was. Urrrrgh.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's no doubt at all that Dany went apeshit and burned thousands of innocent men, women and children.

And I thought it was shocking and frightfully gratifying to behold.

25 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yes, there are issues with the episode too, but I'm no longer concerned with wasting any more of my time picking those stupid details apart. The main takeaway of this episode for me was that it made me feel the story and the characters again, and I was riveted. That's the best I could have hoped for now.

You fared better than me, because i felt nothing for any of the characters at all, save perhaps Arya.

Spectacular looking, but i didn't feel involved in any of it.

Not even close to Pellenor Fields, imo. Not for a second.

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

And I thought it was shocking and frightfully gratifying to behold.

I might have preferred it if we actually saw Dany, while she was tearing the fuck through the population of Kings Landing. All I saw was the CGI dragon.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Fuck no, get real!

None of this stuff is fit to sniff LotR's shit.

Not long go we were kinda expecting GOT could out-epic LOTR though.

They never got close.

Lookingforward to fresh memes at Shireposting!

On paper, the episode's core premise plays like a Shakespearean tragedy. Execution is sorely lacking though. Wish there was just more dramatic arc in all the chaos. It was visceral yes, but monotonous.

And Cersei deserved more. I would have taken that over all the Cleaganebowl...

Seeing Dany react or whatever would have been the obvious thing to do, but come on, this is Game of Thrones season 6. Written by clowns.

I just really liked the hard fantasy imagery of a dragon laying waste to a city. I've been holding out for that shit.

The incidental details have fallen by the wayside now. But at least dragons with a flaxen haired rider astride can still look photographically cool.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The incidental details have fallen by the wayside now. 

Well, much of the plot and many of the once carefully nurtured character arcs have fallen by the wayside. But yeah.

One more to go. 

Is Euron the new Jar Jar?

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well, much of the plot and many of the once carefully nurtured character arcs have fallen by the wayside.

You give D&D way too much credit.

Edit: I read you wrong. Disregard.

Obviously I can only really go by reactions I see online, but as far as my own investigation in regards to this season goes, it's seemingly a deeply unpopular one overall with longstanding fans.

Up until the middle of ep 4, I was mostly with this. A few missteps along the way, but the good so overwhelmingly outnumbered the bad things (which I always manage to mostly overlook in any media in these cases - why take my own fun away?). And even since then, there were a lot of things I really dug - the sheer spectacle, carnage, optics, acting, and most raw plot points. But as many people here have already pointed out - the writing (rushed structure, unearned character beats and motivations) brought it all down significantly. Let's see what next week brings. I still enjoy it overall, to an extent, pity about the potential for more, though. What happens is fine... as long as why is adressed sufficiently.

I'm really looking forward to eventually reading more about Arianne and the Griffs, now.

I had a long conversation with my dental hygienist this afternoon about Thrones.  She loves this season.  She said that “Valeris” was right about Dany and Tyrion should have listened to him.  She said “that girl is full on crazy and Jon Snow had better kill her and Sansa should be queen.”

She also didn’t realize next week was the last episode.  Which really confused because she said there was too much story left.

In retrospect, why did Dany spend hours slaving away at burning innocent people instead of going straight for the Red Keep and enacting her vengeance on Cersei? Shouldn't that be her aim? Something about that beat feels seriously unearned...

Also, why were Winterfell soldiers slaughtering and raping innocent civilians again? Is that normal?

And I'll guess we'll see some of this next week:

1 hour ago, KK said:

Cersei apparently helped Jaime grow his hand back:

0513-jamie-cersei-lannister-got-hbo-5.jp

That's photoshopped. Nothing like that aired. 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

It would be interesting if Dany dies next episode and as she does she has flashbacks to that vision.

Neat that we thought it was all snow. Never dreamed it was ash. 

Well... 

On 7/26/2017 at 4:55 PM, Jay said:

I also really like her current mindset of not wanting to rule the ashes, since that's effectively what she saw in her vision in Season 2.

On 6/21/2016 at 2:27 PM, Jay said:

Does this mean the vision Danaerys saw in Season 2 of an empty Iron Throne room with the Star of the Seven behind it with snow falling down was actually Ash falling down?

Probably should've been snow because then it might've fit the 'Winter is Coming' slogan. Maybe 'Winter' can substituted for 'Snow' as in 'Jon Snow'?

19 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

Neat that we thought it was all snow. Never dreamed it was ash. 

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Crumbs, come on.  You must be reacting to elsewhere on the internet, because in this thread, while we clearly don't like it and you did, I don't see any TLJ style "fan theory" backlash idiocy.

Yes, that's true. Almost everywhere on the internet is just vitriolic, toxic backlash, that this entire season is an abomination without merit. I wasn't specifically aiming my comments at posters in this thread (although the general consensus seems to be that of disappointment), but nowadays everything on the internet is either the best thing ever or a dumpster fire.

There's clearly lots of artistry, detail and care going into this show. They've made a decision to focus on spectacle for the final season and assigned their budget accordingly. In hindsight, I wish they'd spread this all out over a couple of extra episodes, because some characters feel short-changed and haven't received their due (especially after so many years of very methodical plotting). But on a purely technical level, it's been quite breathtaking to behold this year.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Just because you're enjoying it for what it is, why do you feel the need to tell us all our reactions are not just wrong, but invalid or something?

I didn't say anything like this. I've posted several times I can understand the disappointment and agree with some of the criticisms. I just think the level of toxicity being thrown around by some supposed fans (especially on Twitter) is mostly just people going out of their way to be negative.

But @crumbs how much can we appreciate the artistry if the story and intention behind it are so weak they're offensive to anyone who has followed this show? No one's shitting on the design or the spectacle, they're shitting on the meaningless way the characters in those scenes and sequences are handled. 

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thats' still disappointing though if thats all there's left, right?

I think that's simplifying all the character work that has been sprinkled throughout the season. The entirety of episodes 1 and 2 were character studies and watching their interactions as death approached. And there's been plenty of character beats interspersed with the spectacle episodes.

Has the balance been right? For a six episode season, I'd say yes. So that begs the question, should the season have been longer? Also, yes... but nothing we can do about it!

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

But @crumbs how much can we appreciate the artistry if the story and intention behind it are so weak they're offensive to anyone who has followed this show? No one's shitting on the design or the spectacle, they're shitting on the meaningless way the characters in those scenes and sequences are handled. 

Not sure, @Arpy. I guess my personal disappointments (like the brevity of events, or the lack of pay-off for long-serving storylines) just don't overpower my enjoyment in watching all these characters unravel so spectacularly before my eyes.

I know the Dany stuff is taking heat but it made total sense to me, narratively. I just wish they'd had a few more episodes to let characters stew on their situation; everything might have felt less rushed then.

Dany going mad makes perfect sense. The way she does it seems like the writers were forced to advance it for time. 

I had an interesting idea going on in my head as Arya is trying to make it through the streets during the attack, why not have Jaime on the opposite side of the city going through the same hell as Arya? They eventually spot each other in the madness for a brief moment and they both realize they're going after Cersei, making it a race against odds to the Keep. The Hound should've been with Arya during the siege and both try and help each other survive the journey to the keep. If Arya was going to realize her blood-lust for Cersei would result in her death as The Hound warns her (as what happens in the episode) I think it should've been at a moment when Arya manages to confront Cersei and then Clegane Bowl can happen. Before Arya can act decisively - as she's injured and shell-shocked by the dragon attack, Jaime enters and that's when Arya realizes that perhaps her quest has been misguided, that Cersei and Jaime will die anyway.

10 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

It's a really big city. The odds of that happening would have been too convenient. 

Not if they were heading for the Keep and forced a certain direction by the destruction of the dragon or the Dothraki and Unsullied.