GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

During the Jaime/Euron fight I expected Arya showing up, killing Euron with Jaime being wounded. Cut to Cersei, Jaime showing up, the two hugging and Jaime stabbing her with a dagger, just to take his face off to show it was actually Arya wearing Jaime's face.

"Gotta subvert those expectations."

I swear I just want the next thing I watch to have the most predictably straight forward story ever, because I'm sick of these 'genius' writers thinking that just subverting everything makes good story telling. 

Arya killing Cersei at that point would have just been pointless though. And a good way of getting herself killed. The Hound telling her to let go of her revenge was one of the moments I actually liked.

So you think Bran will warg the dragon and kill Dany next week? I bet he'd be stuck in that body for the rest of his life. The memory of Westeros flying away into the sunset at the end. Cheesy and very Hollywood type of poetic ending. ;)

Seriously, didn't he have a vision of being a dragon and flying over King's Landing in that cave?

Karol

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

"Gotta subvert those expectations."

I swear I just want the next thing I watch to have the most predictably straight forward story ever, because I'm sick of these 'genius' writers thinking that just subverting everything makes good story telling. 

That's why movies like Avatar can be the perfect antidote to that sort of thing for people like me.

Is that what Ruin Johnson did though? I think people have prescribed that as the cause of their hatred, but I think it was a genuine case of trying to take the finely engraved world of Star Wars and try and shift it so new stories could be told. It was always going to upset the people who had a Darth Vader bed-set with matching pajamas who always knew Star Wars one way.

He shifted little to nothing, though. At the end of the day, a black-clad evil space-wizard with a laser-sword and a group of space-nazis are still fighting a good space-sorceress with a laser sword and a group of freedom fighters.

Am I the only person who thinks TLJ's story was a logical continuation of what's come before? There was absolutely nothing sacrilegious about it. Issues with this film lie elsewhere.

Karol

No, Rian Johnson's film was a deliberate deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos. That's something different than just subverting expectations. There's a purpose to it. 

Martin's books might have deconstructionist elements to it. The show, currently, does not.

What the point of deconstructing something only to rebuild it almost as-is?

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Am I the only person who thinks TLJ's story was a logical continuation of what's come before?

Some of it. People being surprised and offended by the broken Luke after The Force Awakens are no better than people who expected Dany to be nice after last season.

Like I said, it ended with the Star Wars formula very much as it always has been:

a black-clad evil space-wizard with a laser-sword and a group of space-nazis are still fighting a good space-sorceress with a laser sword and a group of freedom fighters.

To really deconstruct the formula, the film should have landed on the same conclusion as Luke had early in the film: "Its time for the Jedi to end." But it didn't.

Its a thematic cop-out.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its something old GOT would have spent a few episodes on, rather than one scene that isn't mentioned again.

If there was a whole buffer episode of Dany mourning, Cersei preparing, the others being on the way, that scene would've been a great bit. Now that it's a key element of a plotline done in 5-10 minutes before a big battle, it's not as impressive. It's one that you'd get on a rewatch and therefore not very good at being one of the only bits of setup for something that happens in minutes. I just thought it was just about how Dany is not eating and how Varys still keps using his little birds to get info.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Did it not twig for anyone else that Varys was trying to poison Dany?

Uh...

20 hours ago, Jay said:

As with many storylines this year, sometime the end results isn't necessarily a bad one, it's just that they happen within seconds or minutes of screentime, instead of them being multi-episode threads that slowly build toward the end result.

Like I can imagine Varys turning on Daenerys and being discovered and burned being a perfectly fine plot line if it took half a season or so to play out.  Speaking of that... was he having that kid try to poison Daenerys in the beginning?  And who was he writing to?  And does Danerys really run her castle in a way that people can send ravens out without someone to oversee their content?

So your answer to my question was yes?

Well done Jason.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Surprised to hear that went over the heads of some viewers.

I wondered what it was about obviously but the episode never makes anything of it. Or mentioned it again.

I do wonder who the note was for? Yara? Sansa?

So.  What's up with Bronn?

Why did the writers give him a scene in episode 1 where Cersei hires him to kill Jaime and Tyrion, a scene in episode 4 where he finds Jaime and Tyrion but doesn't kill them, and then they killed off Jaime and Cersei in episode 5?

Will we even see Bronn in the final episode?  Or was that scene last week supposed to be his send-off?  A kind of "in it for the money until the end" type thing?

I just don't get why, if the writers where planning on killing of Jaime and Cersei in this way, they'd bother with all the Bronn nonsense they did.  They could have written a completely different ending for him still had the 'sell sword till the end' feel without the strange 'kill your friends for money' plot they went with.  Oh well.

13 hours ago, KK said:

...why were Winterfell soldiers slaughtering and raping innocent civilians again? Is that normal?

Nice though it would be to suppose that all of the goody soldiers would behave with honour and decorum during the sack of a city, I don't think that Game of Thrones has ever been guilty of operating on that assumption. If you'd like a specific example illustrating that soldiers working for the Starks behave like any others in warfare, recall Brienne and Jaime's journey through the countryside when they found the bodies of three women who had been hanged by Stark soldiers (and at least one of them raped or otherwise tortured beforehand) on account of an allegation that they had "lain with lions".

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Seriously, didn't he have a vision of being a dragon and flying over King's Landing in that cave?

He had a vision of a dragon flying over King's Landing (while on his way to the cave). That shot was alluded to during Daenerys's rampage, so that's presumably what Bran was witnessing.

There was a conversation in season3 with Jorah suggesting the Unsullied soldiers precisely because they wouldnt resort to random murder and rape when sacking a city.

Though I dont know if I saw Greyworm doing any murder of villagers along with soldier murder.

17 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Nice though it would be to suppose that all of the goody soldiers would behave with honour and decorum during the sack of a city, I don't think that Game of Thrones has ever been guilty of operating on that assumption. If you'd like a specific example illustrating that soldiers working for the Starks behave like any others in warfare, recall Brienne and Jaime's journey through the countryside when they found the bodies of three women who had been hanged by Stark soldiers (and at least one of them raped or otherwise tortured beforehand) on account of an allegation that they had "lain with lions".

Rape and brutal killing during a sacking is perfectly normal. I dunno what KK is thinking of?

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Rape and brutal killing during a sacking is perfectly normal. I dunno what KK is thinking of?

Yeah, those were the days!

In season 3 Jaime and Brienne come across a group of Northern soldiers (in Stark style armour) that have hung a group of women for sleeping with Lannister soldiers*. 

There are no “good guy” or “bad guy” soldiers in Game of Thrones. 

*The French and Dutch resistance mistreated women who slept with Nazis during WW2 so it’s pretty realistic.