GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, Holko said:

So, Jon spent a lot of time thinking of his mother and true belonging back in the day I think. What does he think now about his parentage? How is he dealing with it? Will it even come into play other than making Dany a bit more moody than she already is? Nope, characters and dialogue are hard to write and take up precious time, so Jon is reduced into an overpaid extra saying any combination of "I love you", "She's/You're my Queen" and "I don't want it" this season.

In a production of superior quality this could fill another season on its own.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Dany wants to be the ruler of the "7 Kingdoms", but all we ever really see this season is The North (Winterfell), and The Crownlands (King's Landing and Dragonstone).  What's happening with The Vale (the Eyrie), The Iron Islands (Pyke), The Riverlands (Riverrun), The Westerlands (Casterly Rock), The Reach (Highgarden), Dorne (Sunspear), The Stormlands (Storm's End) lately?  Who knows!

We don't know about these other regions because we don't have any POV characters left at those locations. With the final battles at Winterfell and Kal, why would anyone still be scattered to the four winds? 

Why do you want to know details of who's left at these silly places? 

The Vale? Yohn Royce is in charge of their armies, and since the Vale is allied to the Starks, this makes them vassals to Dany. They are either at Winterfell or marched south to KL. We don't know whose tit young Robyn is suckling, but that's ok. 

Yara is sitting at the Iron Islands to cover Dany's retreat. So exciting. 

The Freys acquired Riverrun from House Tully in the War of Five Kings, but Arya killed all male Freys, leaving the house broken. So exciting. I suppose we could see if anyone buried their dead corpses. 

Casterly Rock was never seen all the times it was mentioned by Tywin. We never saw it until it was used as a plot device for one of Tyrion's bad decisions. There are no Lannisters left there unless they had young cousins without political aspirations. Exciting. 

The Lannisters routed Highgarden and Jaime executed Olenna, making the Tyrrell house extinct. The castle is waiting for Bronn, if they write him into the finale. What would you like to know of the common Reachfolk we've never seen?

Fans always hated the Dorne storylines. Dorne was there to give Cersei an enemy, give backstory to Gregor Clegane, and kill the Lannister daughter. What more would you like to see from Dorne that requires resolution? 

We never saw Storm's End in the show, but Gendry is its lord. Booby prize. What McGuffin would you like to see our characters get from a castle we've never been to? 

Stories need to become focused as they reach the resolution. 

I suppose we could open the final episode with a "five years later" caption to show how much of Westeros is burning from the liberating fire of Drogon. Then you would see your big squishy map. 

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

If Tyrion survives, he should be the king, or end the monarchy and create a republic governed by the people - that's breaking the wheel.

For that reason, they'll kill him off and have someone no one wants as the next monarch.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

For that reason, they'll kill him off and have someone no one wants as the next monarch.

I wish it went my way, but having read the leaks, it's all folly.

I’m along for the ride. It is what it is, and I’m feeling thankful we even got to see the end of such an ambitious undertaking, flaws and all.

There’s much to be enjoyed if you can look past “what could’ve been”.

9 hours ago, xWxzek said:

We don't know about these other regions because we don't have any POV characters left at those locations. With the final battles at Winterfell and Kal, why would anyone still be scattered to the four winds? 

Why do you want to know details of who's left at these silly places? 

The Vale? Yohn Royce is in charge of their armies, and since the Vale is allied to the Starks, this makes them vassals to Dany. They are either at Winterfell or marched south to KL. We don't know whose tit young Robyn is suckling, but that's ok. 

Yara is sitting at the Iron Islands to cover Dany's retreat. So exciting. 

The Freys acquired Riverrun from House Tully in the War of Five Kings, but Arya killed all male Freys, leaving the house broken. So exciting. I suppose we could see if anyone buried their dead corpses. 

Casterly Rock was never seen all the times it was mentioned by Tywin. We never saw it until it was used as a plot device for one of Tyrion's bad decisions. There are no Lannisters left there unless they had young cousins without political aspirations. Exciting. 

The Lannisters routed Highgarden and Jaime executed Olenna, making the Tyrrell house extinct. The castle is waiting for Bronn, if they write him into the finale. What would you like to know of the common Reachfolk we've never seen?

Fans always hated the Dorne storylines. Dorne was there to give Cersei an enemy, give backstory to Gregor Clegane, and kill the Lannister daughter. What more would you like to see from Dorne that requires resolution? 

We never saw Storm's End in the show, but Gendry is its lord. Booby prize. What McGuffin would you like to see our characters get from a castle we've never been to? 

Stories need to become focused as they reach the resolution. 

I suppose we could open the final episode with a "five years later" caption to show how much of Westeros is burning from the liberating fire of Drogon. Then you would see your big squishy map. 

Excellent post. 

The final season has its issues but spending time on the aftermath of wrapper up storylines is not one of them.

I've already forgotten about most of those places and characters anyway. But from what I can gather of people here at JWFAN (after spending a bit of time in their company), is that they can be a bit, er... "particular" in regards to absolute completionism. It's chronic!

What I find weird is that I've loved watching this show most of the time: I never watched interviews or read articles or anything like that, but always liked watching. And tomorrow we'll have the finale, but I'm feeling totally relaxed about it, not even excited. I'll happily accept whatever they give me, but there's not really a lot of anticipation on my end.

At this point, what are they gonna do, fire her?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's pretty brutal, actually!

I always enjoy it when actors don't care about pretending something is good if it isn't. They just talk shit about it and tell it how it is. Every GOT actor is taking the Mark Hamill approach of "Do your worst, I don't care, I'm done with this crap anyway."

I find the “remake GoT season 8” petition that has been making rounds in the news to be hilarious.

But in hindsight, this come in the wake of the “remake The Last Jedi”-petition, which, at the time, I found unremarkable, but now this seems a trend.

Is this the mood of the audience for pop culture nowadays - they claim ownership over a franchise and is so unprepared to tackle a world that doesn’t always please their every whim, that they have to bitch and moan about it and try to argue that everything that is not made to their liking should be remade?

Although no petition was created (that I am aware of), I wonder if the redesigning of Sonic was the first victim of this mob mentality?

Daenerys is a bitch (and characters are acting un-characteristic), The Last Jedi subverted expectations (or whatever), and Sonic has teeth.

Oh, Lord, have mercy and save us from despair!

I am not trying to defend dumb studio decisions - I love dissecting a movie and coming up with alternative routes that would’ve made it “better”... But also...

Who really cares?

George Lucas did not rape my childhood!

HBO aren't going to even notice this bullshit petition anyway. Just like Lucasfilm/Disney aren't going to remake TLJ. I hate this world where people think complaining about something incessantly is going to make a difference. Complain all you want, okay, but don't just stop there, don't waste your time making petitions, enroll in a writing course, read as much as you can, write a thesis on why you thought it was wrong and how you could improve upon it and then see if you can pitch your ideas to a studio like everyone else!

I don’t mind studios listening to their fans.

I thought TLJ was a mess.

But I also realize that times change, and not everything is made for me. If SW shuld keep evolving around SJW-themes and bad/cheap character development - I will stop watching the coming films. There are other things I enjoy, and I don’t have to like this.

And that’s how it goes - fans drop out, new ones come in - whichever is the most lucrative will be served by the studio.

But demanding that something should be remade - due to personal preferences - is a little different, it’s a new phenomenon I think.

But in the time of remakes and reboots of old franchises, why wait a couple of years for nostalgia to kick in - just remake the damn thing immediately after it’s released! 😂

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But do the fans really know what they want though? 

Nope!

The Prequels weren’t enough like the original trilogy! TFA was too much like the original trilogy! TLJ wasn’t enough like the original trilogy! 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You don't think the "fan" backlash against TLJ will have had any influence on what Disney/Lucasfilm decided to do with TROS?

I'm sure they saw it, but if that influenced any part of TROS? Who knows? I doubt it, there's a whole process for the last film that would be concerned with concluding the story, making the film that they can be happy with. I don't know how much of TLJ could even influence TROS, to me it's kind of like Johnson (if he did do anything wrong with TLJ...) already did the damage and what comes after is business as usual...

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I doubt it, there's a whole process for the last film that would be concerned with concluding the story, making the film that they can be happy with.

Who is they in this instance? the fans or the film makers?

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm sure they saw it, but if that influenced any part of TROS? Who knows? I doubt it

Yeah, and the box office is still strong with these films so a fan backlash - while significant - is unlikely to affect the storytelling too much.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Who is they in this instance? the fans or the film makers?

the filmmakers. The fans can go to hell.

Also, for everything the fans thought Abrams and Johnson had fucked up, I'd prefer that these guys, who have been competent filmmakers (and fans since childhood), were the ones making these films. I never got any sense that they weren't honest filmmakers, who had respect and care for handling the legacy of the franchise. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

But do the fans really know what they want though? 

Massive, copious amounts of fan service. Die-hard fans of this sort of movie care little about ambition or subversion.

For ep 9 they want a revived Luke to finally fight Palpatine himself, and they want Han, who turns out to have survived being stabbed and falling 100 miles in a chasm on a Starkiller base that exploded shortly after to turns up in the nick of time to help the newly assembled Resistance out and save the day.

Oh, and Ewoks.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

HBO aren't going to even notice this bullshit petition anyway.

Some have noticed. The actor who played Grey Worm called it "rude." 

I think a remake is definitely in the cards, as long as the fans can first saddle up the $0.5 M per episode for each of the big stars... 

I'm about to go to bed and the most exciting thing about this whole thing right now for me will be me waking up and checking if the number of thread pages is still 225 in the morning. That's how invested I am at the moment.

There's plenty of other shows waiting to be watched, far better than Game of Thrones. I've been dying to get this over and done with the years, I'll not miss it. The outcome of the final episode is meaningless to me and it's just a case of going through the motions now, to get it out the way. 

But at least the infamy of its great squandering will be remembered, as a cautionary tale!

Afterward, I'll palette cleanse with Cobra Kai. I hear it's a cut above ;)

Entitled fanboys believe they were owed a happy ending with Jon and Dany ruling side by side, since GOT has always been a feel good happy ending kind of story. After seven seasons with a lot of filler, people cry when you remove that filler from the final season.