GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

How did Sam become Grand Maester if he dropped out after a month or two? Isn't he still supposed to be a Night's Watch member (which still exists for some reason) and he only got leave to go study to be the new NW Maester? 

Wait, the Wall is not even under the Crown's jurisdiction anymore but Sansa's. Couldn't she just pardon Jon? Grey Worm is off the continent anyway.

Also, Dany legitimised Gendry. He has a pretty good claim to the throne if we accept Dany as having reigned for a... day?

Again, this last season makes less and less and less sense the more you think about it, which is the exact opposite of how the show was originally and why half the world fell in love with it.

So literally the only reason for the Wights, Night King, Dead, all of that, one of the cornerstones of the show, the first thing we ever saw was: Kill wildlings whom no one cares about; scare people South of the Wall, but not nearly all of them; Kill a handful of memorable characters who could have fallen any other way and weren't the most important ones by far; and ultimately obliterate Dany's Unsullied and Dothraki, making her weaker against Cersei, but then they magically regenerated half their numbers by the next episode, got attacked and suffered losses on sea again but it turns out they weren't needed for the complete and effortless destruction of KL and the Lannister forces at all, they only were there to make Jon and Tyrion a bit more upset about the massare, they didn't even play a part in the negotiations as a large army who have just been wronged, Grey Worm just let his prisoner Tyrion organise the new government while standing and didn't kill the murderer of his queen on the spot for some reason.

Oh, sorry, I meant: whoah, look how kewl that looks!

WAIT, DID ARYA FU**ING SAIL 'INTO THE WEST!?'

WAIT, DID SAMWISE GAMGEE... I MEAN SAMWELL TARLEY TALK ABOUT A BOOK NAMED THE LORD OF THE RINGS...I MEAN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE? 

Thats all it is, a wrap-up. It didn't make a lot of sense.

Made perfect sense to me.

I don't care about crazy fan ravings complaining that the series didn't end exactly how they wanted it to. These guys need to take a chill pill.

The biggest problem with this episode is that Daenerys didn't learn anything, she didn't grow, she didn't face the consequences or understand that there were any. The retribution against her should have been making her realize the pain and destruction she caused. 

Conversely, you could have everything happen in the same order -  have Jon kill her in the exact same fashion (which is how many thought Jaime would take Cersei out btw) but have a whole season in between - show Daenerys grow bitter and avert her sense of guilt with arrogance, then build up to a point where she threatens her rule, slowly becoming a totalitarian dictator, then Jon is forced to kill her.

Instead we get one conversation, one confrontation. 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

And even outright told everyone he knew the outcome. "Why do you think I came all this way?" Smug fuck. What even is the point of voting for him if he already knows everyone will vote for him? I guess we just have to accept all his "I don't want anymore" and "I am not Bran Stark" was all just distracting everyone so the pieces of slaughter fell perfectly in piece and he wouldn't be suspected?

Where did he go during the Night King's attack? What was his purpose? How is a soulless, sterile computer a suitable king? Where did these plots go? 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

A lot of it doesn't make sense in the universe the show is set though. 

But I guess thats fine, right?

Why SeaRCh For LogiC, It's A ShOw wItH DragoNs, It'S NoT ReAlIsTiC

Plotlines, schmotlines.....I don't really care. I was always into this show for the spectacle, the sense of 'being there'. I don't remember half of the series' plotlines or characters. Looking forward to revisiting the show at some point though.

You don't think plot isn't important in a show thats all about plot?

Hmmmm....

Just now, leeallen01 said:

I liked this reallllllllllllly 'subtle' shot. 

_7232e4ae-7ab7-11e9-98c6-ecfd32845dee.PNG.jpg

Yes! There's good work in this season technically.

Pity about the writing

Just now, Stefancos said:

You don't think plot isn't important in a show thats all about plot?

Hmmmm....

I don't agree that it's 'all about plot'.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes! There's good work in this season technically.

Pity about the writing

Who's to say that this shot wasn't concieved of on the page?

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Shot ideas in the script is not writing.

Screenwriting is many things: its ideas for coverage (close/wide, camera movements - David Lean would even specifically the light source of the scene), its characterization, its dialouge, its plotting, its structure, its narrative and theme, etcetra.

To focus on plotting as be-all-end-all of screenwriting is just wrong.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Screenwriting is many things: its ideas for coverage (close/wide, camera movements - David Lean would even specifically the light source of the scene), its characterization, its dialouge, its plotting, its structure, its narrative and theme, etcetra.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You enjoy being pedantic, right?

;)

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

I hoped the Throne would melt, flow and solidify to create a wheelchair access ramp.

I hoped it would engulf Dany. Would be a lot of poetic justice in that, and a nice callback to her 'dragon birth' sequence from the first season. But I'm fine with the way it was; the dragon flying off with her presumed dead body 'into the sunset'.

It'll be interesting to see how they submit categories for the Emmy awards.  The only way I see for them to go without abject category fraud is to submit the coffee cup in supporting actor and the water bottle in featured guest actor.

I liked the scene with Drogon burning the throne. Quite fitting. And there was indeed some nice fantasy imagery in the first half.

Its just frustrating to see how false Danny's death rings, because there was no dramatic arc around her rise and fall.

I still think a season dedicated to the Mad Queen could have done wonders for the show.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't agree that it's 'all about plot'.

I think it is fair to say this show was all plot. And there's nothing demeaning or wrong about that. Many of the greatest stories in the world are just about plot.

11 minutes ago, KK said:

I liked the scene with Drogon burning the throne. Quite fitting. And there was indeed some nice fantasy imagery in the first half.

People hated that too. Because it is an animal doing symbolism out of character. It wasn't a natural or credible response from an animal.

And fuck that symbolism - the iron throne still exists! Just not that one. They just got a new King, didn't abolish the concept of it. So it was again ludicrous symbolism. Made for a cool shot but made zero sense.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I was under the impression that HBO would have given them more time (seasons) and money but the showrunners declined because they had decided this series would be done after 8 seasons.

Yeah i forgot to mention the funny thing is they decided to end the series, It was not forced by budget or anything...

1 hour ago, KK said:

Its just frustrating to see how false Danny's death rings, because there was no dramatic arc around her rise and fall.

There's certainly a rise and fall traejectory for the character across the series.

Its just that, as you said, once she went mad, the showrunners didn't have the time to let it fester enough to make her death satisfying.