GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

There were some definite hints at future seasons down the track. I thought the "ten years" line from Tyrion was telling. Is there some book significance in that?

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

No Inside the Episode for the finale? Bit disappointing ...

Next week they're airing a full-length documentary about making the last episode

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Next week they're airing a full-length documentary about making the last episode

Ahh, makes sense they'd roll it into that. Nice! Something to look forward to next week then.

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

...the Targaryen line dies with him...

In a sequel series Gendry will embrace his Targaryen heritage and get together with Drogon to depose Bran the Broken and restore the dynasty!

48 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There's certainly a rise and fall traejectory for the character across the series.

Its just that, as you said, once she went mad, the showrunners didn't have the time to let it fester enough to make her death satisfying.

Well that's not an arc isn't it? We saw her get to the Throne, fine, but "kiss and stab" is no fall, at least not a dramatically satisfying one. Good writers would have let us truly understand the extent of Dany's madness, Walter White style.

It's lazy writing.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

And fuck that symbolism - the iron throne still exists! Just not that one. They just got a new King, didn't abolish the concept of it. So it was again ludicrous symbolism. Made for a cool shot but made zero sense.

I think Drogon's scene would have been quite touching, again if there was more breathing room for Dany's character and arc.

But yea, so much for breaking the wheel. I guess Westeros got one small step closer to a Republic, maybe? I think realistically, all Seven Kingdoms would have probably gotten independence in some form.

I'm curious to hear @Glóin the Dark's thoughts with this finale. Especially as someone who always had the more interesting (though perhaps naively idealistic) interpretations of where Game of Thrones could/should have gone.

5 minutes ago, KK said:

Well that's not an arc isn't it? We saw her get to the Throne, fine, but "kiss and stab" is no fall, at least not a dramatically satisfying one. Good writers would have let us truly understand the extent of Dany's madness, Walter White style.

It's lazy writing.

No, I'm not talking strictly about taking the throne. I'm talking about the character rising to prominence, and falling into cruelty and madness: its a switch that has absolutely been built-up in previous seasons, and that's a character arc if ever there was one. Its not terribly well-executed, but its there.

What is lacking is the festering: having a few episodes of a ruling, tyrant Danny before she's assasinated. Also, that the stab is offscreen is cheap.

Everything she did over in Essos was for freeing he slaves and protecting the innocent. Everything. How does that build up her switch to absolute nut destroying a city murdering countless innocent civilians?

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Everything she did over in Essos was for freeing he slaves and protecting the innocent. Everything. How does that build up her switch to absolute nut destroying a city murdering countless innocent civilians?

There was no set up. It was just horrible writing. For all practical purposes Dany went from being probably one of the heores for 71 episodes before becoming a villain in the 72nd and getting murdered in the 73rd.

The writing is just so bad.

Even within the context of this episode - literally 5 more minutes could have helped.

Show Jon walking away from Tyrion. Show him go to Dany and admonish her. Then show a 3 minute montage of Dany laying waste to multiple cities in Essos and Westeros. Show Tyrion getting older so far the time has advanced 5 years. Show Jon increasingly getting concerned and then killing Dany. That would have added seriously 6-7 mins.

After spending millions of dollars surely they could have taken some more minutes to flesh it out as best as they could.

Nopes. It was one conversation and Jon kills her.

I was expecting a time jump when Dany started talking about "liberating" all of Westeros, indeed, the entire seven kingdoms. I guess the implication was mass destruction of anyone who didn't bend the knee.

I think the more satisfying path may have been 5-6 episodes this year building up to the Night King/Battle of Winterfell conflict (episode 5) followed by a resolution of the North storylines in episode 6 (planting seeds of doubt between Dany/Jon). Then a final 5-6 episodes next year building up to the Battle of King's Landing (episode 4) and two closing episodes to round off Dany's fall and resolve all remaining plot threads.

Similar to the way Breaking Bad split their final season across 2 years, but with more episodes overall than previous seasons (16 episodes across two years rather than 13 in one).

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

2. What the other kingdoms are just ok with Bran letting his sister declare independence while they have to bend the knee to him?  What the fuck kind of sense does that make?

I'm pretty sure all the ruling houses from the other kingdoms were rendered extinct, aside from Yara Greyjoy, Sansa Stark, and Tyrion Lannister. Any deal that allows a lower house to inherit the title of warden of each realm would be an upgrade. 

I don't think they mentioned whether Tyrion inherits Casterly Rock or not though. 

31 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I was expecting a time jump when Dany started talking about "liberating" all of Westeros, indeed, the entire seven kingdoms. I guess the implication was mass destruction of anyone who didn't bend the knee.

I think the more satisfying path may have been 5-6 episodes this year building up to the Night King/Battle of Winterfell conflict (episode 5) followed by a resolution of the North storylines in episode 6 (planting seeds of doubt between Dany/Jon). Then a final 5-6 episodes next year building up to the Battle of King's Landing (episode 4) and two closing episodes to round off Dany's fall and resolve all remaining plot threads.

Similar to the way Breaking Bad split their final season across 2 years, but with more episodes overall than previous seasons (16 episodes across two years rather than 13 in one).

A split season with fewer episodes a piece but more overall is literally what we got.

26 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

A split season with fewer episodes a piece but more overall is literally what we got.

Maybe but when you consider how much ground needed to be covered after season 6, was 13 episodes enough? More plotting happened in two short seasons than the entirety of seasons 5 & 6; Dany hadn't even stepped foot in Westeros 13 episodes ago.

Compare that to season 5 of Breaking Bad (16 episodes across two years) where the entire arc revolves around Walter White's hubris and downfall. Maybe an unfair comparison given all the divergent story threads on GoT but that's all the more reason to take your time with the narrative...

Well at least Ramin finished the score on high not....

Joking aside, the Night King theme has been in my head for quite a time. Now the score's released, we got to hear therest of the music.

Now this particular track is beautiful.

The choral rendition of the aforementioned theme:

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's a Night King's theme?

Two in fact. (and thats not even counting all the white walker material)

I kinda prefer the more RCP sounding one myself.

Also Crazy Dany didnt come out of nowhere, but the snapping point was poorly built up too.

Someone should have just thrown a cow pie at her face.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's a Night King's theme?

Yes, the most memorable of the bunch.

i mean come on, am i the only who like the rock-band-pop-amateurish quality of the NK theme.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

FB_IMG_1558366447235.jpg

How retarded are those fools?

"No one is very happy, which means it's a good compromise, I suppose"

Lol that about summed it up for me. I think I'm basically in line with the consensus that generally the outcomes themselves were okay but this season was simultaneously pretty dull and yet somehow still needed more legroom. 

Close your eyes, and imagine that all of the S8 episodes preceding this final one were really great "all we'd hoped for" climatic instalments; and the aftermath opening act of this episode could easily have been the natural continuation, such was the menacing atmosphere and tone of those scenes. For a short while in this episode, Game of Thrones felt to me like the epic fantasy cataclysm I'd waited out for all these years. Then the dragon flew off into the horizon, and it was a return to business as usual immediately after.

The rest was largely shite, meaning a second half comprised of silliness and now standard BS, as has been the Game of Thrones way for seemingly so long now. Yes there was a modicum of poignancy during the closing montage (Djawadi's soundtrack was good throughout the entirety of the last episode), but it was all for nowt, because those disastrous previous instalments had already sucked the emotion and caring out of the entire project, decisively.

Fin.

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

At least the meandering Martin would have had a chance to release another book for this novel series by the end of season 10.  :P 

I haven't seen a single episode of the final season and everything I have read about it makes me want to skip it entirely and just wait for the books to come out.

If you're invested in this world and wholly enjoy Martin's creation, my advice to you would 100% be to skip this adaptation and wait for the books instead, then MAYBE see S8 after it, out of curiosity. I can guarantee you this would be the more satisfying approach.

Personally, I loved the extremely important 'slowly climbing up stairs' scene, followed by the overwhelmingly vital 'slowly walking through rubble' scene, and who could forget the unbelievably mindblowing 'rearranging chairs' scene.

Every scene was so dense, it had so much going on...

Episode 6.

Fan-tas-tic. Simply fantastic. What's the Night's Watch going to do now, though, and how will Greyworm (the bastard) make sure Snow doesn't father any children?

Overall, the music was great, maybe a little Stark theme overload and I don't like choirs singing the GOT main theme in unison, but other than that... SPLENDID.

Did anyone notice that Jon spoke to Greyworm about all the murder, then went to Dany to talk to her about it, and Greyworm was already there. Did he teleport? 

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Episode 6.

Fan-tas-tic. Simply fantastic. What's the Night's Watch going to do now, though, and how will Greyworm (the bastard) make sure Snow doesn't father any children?

Overall, the music was great, maybe a little Stark theme overload and I don't like choirs singing the GOT main theme in unison, but other than that... SPLENDID.

I don't remember any of that happening in Return of the Jedi?