GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

When you follow these intelligent and compelling characters for six seasons, only to watch them turn into dumb dumbs in the last two... When you hope that the slow buildup of Jon's true lineage has a grand impact on the story but it doesn't... It kinda leaves a bitter taste and sours the entire series' run. 

It doesn't even have any real impact on Jon as far as we see, while seeking a true belonging was his thing the whole time.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, Thekthithm said:

He belonged with the Night's Watch, and expanded into the freezing north. He didn't want the world. Perfect ending.

Yeah but he should have had a certain blonde with him as they left ungrateful Westeros to rot.

She was clearly nuts. Her fate was sealed the moment (early in the series) when she committed to the idea that she was a saviour or liberator and believed her own propaganda. And the deaths of friendzone guy, the black chick and two of her dragons led to the revelation of her true colours.

4 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

She was clearly nuts. Her fate was sealed the moment (early in the series) when she committed to the idea that she was a saviour or liberator and believed her own propaganda. 

Yes, I always thought just that.

Karol

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Such a sad arc. Its apparently pointless to try and escape your family legacy!

Bit too bleak for me.  Just one of many things that have tarnished it all but at least Drax enjoyed himself.  There are a few good quotes to throw around.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Such a sad arc. Its apparently pointless to try and escape your family legacy!

It's a Shakespearean tragedy really. She made an honest attempt at breaking the Targaryan mould, but in her vain effort to "break the wheel", she was simply carrying on business as usual. If Jon hadn't terminated her, she would've just ruled as another Cersei, only devastatingly worse.

I disagree with TGP that this was a bleak ending. Sure, it revealed what she really was, but the story was never really about her anyway. She was merely a stand-in for false-messiahs and the effects of fanaticism. And killing her led to the hopeful ending where the more level-headed characters govern in the first babysteps toward a constitutional monarchy, and the Stark kids get their bittersweet endings.

The idea that the unfeeling and all knowing is the most suited to rule rubs me the wrong way and it didn't seem to me that there was any movement towards some better form of government after that ridiculous council laughed away any suggestion of such a thing.  I reckon they'll all be at each others' throats again soon enough starting with the northerners.

1 minute ago, Dixon Hill said:

The idea that the unfeeling and all knowing is the most suited to rule rubs me the wrong way and it didn't seem to me that there was any movement towards some better form of government after that ridiculous council laughed away any suggestion of such a thing.  I reckon they'll all be at each others' throats again soon enough starting with the northerners.

Oh sure, the writing felt very self-aware about the council's response to the idea of democracy. Clearly these people aren't ready for it yet. But Bran obviously takes a wheel back into a figurehead role, while the governing body led by Tyrion will strive for greater moderation. Small steps, not giant leaps – especially for these backward medieval types!

Just kind of a milquetoast political ending in my view.  Benevolent Daenerys or even Tyrant Daenerys actually effecting some huge change would have been more interesting but instead we get this half baked poli sci shit!

To me, it felt like it had parallels to the Battle of Berlin, with Danerys as the destructive Soviet liberators, the new council representing the formation of the United Nations, and Bran's implied ability to control the remaining dragon representing America's newly found atomic power, and the dilemmas in controling and using it.

Bran always had a “boy Arthur” vibe about him, but, it really came out of left field, I thought, the idea of him ruling in King’s Landing. The show’s whole thing of he’s “not a Stark anymore,” or whatever, made no sense, especially since his powers totally, totally are based on his being The Stark in Winterfell (in fact the show hints that he time-traveled back and built Winterfell in the first place - that he is Bran the Builder himself). So I figured as rightful heir of Winterfell he would naturally rule there.

The Daenerys thing I think will make more sense to people over time as it becomes known that she was always meant to be an evil dragon queen, and GOT is really a story of how the villain became evil. However, it was really weakly handled in the show. So, back when she’s in Meereen and she’s been trying to make peace work, and then she decides fuck it, and climbs on Drogon’s back and flies away, that’s the point at which she chooses war. But I think the viewer at that point is like, GOOD! fuck this Meereen shit, let’s leave this shithole behind!

1 minute ago, Pellaeon said:

Bran always had a “boy Arthur” vibe about him, but, it really came out of left field, I thought, the idea of him ruling in King’s Landing. The show’s whole thing of he’s “not a Stark anymore,” or whatever, made no sense, especially since his powers totally, totally are based on his being The Stark in Winterfell (in fact the show hints that he time-traveled back and built Winterfell in the first place - that he is Bran the Builder himself). So I figured as rightful heir of Winterfell he would naturally rule there.

The Daenerys thing I think will make more sense to people over time as it becomes known that she was always meant to be an evil dragon queen, and GOT is really a story of how the villain became evil. However, it was really weakly handled in the show. So, back when she’s in Meereen and she’s been trying to make peace work, and then she decides fuck it, and climbs on Drogon’s back and flies away, that’s the point at which she chooses war. But I think the viewer at that point is like, GOOD! fuck this Meereen shit, let’s leave this shithole behind!

What you say sound gradual, something that should have been possible to portray well in 73 hours. Yet they showed it in 15 minutes. That's the problem. It was so poorly developed that it was undeveloped. She went from hero to villain in like 60 seconds.

The prequel trilogy is basically a story about how a villain became evil and even at 6 hours or however long it is, they did a more convincing job than GOT did in 12 times the amount of time.

Danerys should have been a grey character throughout. They portrayed her as too sympathetic for the ending to work. And for that reason the ending is a failure.

GRRM shot himself in the foot, it's as simple as that.  He started a story, handed it off to people to adapt with some major differences, and then didn't finish it, with something presumably being thrown together for the show from the bullet points of the outcome of his now rather different trajectory.  I don't think he can get the ending right, and he realizes it, and now the cat is kind of out of the bag.  He has too many "principles," too many things he doesn't want to do, tropes he wants to subvert...you can only continue to tell a worthwhile story with those restrictions for so long.

38 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

There's a real Anakin Skywalker vibe about her. I think though viewers blindly sided with her just because she's hot.

Kat Timpf will play her in the sequel after she gets brought back to life and you'll become a fan.

• 3 weeks later...

Djawadi won the Creative Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series for his score for the episode "The Long Night".

https://indiewire.com/2019/09/2019-creative-arts-emmys-winners-list-1202173604/

Not a fan of the music of this episode. It won just because of the piano piece The Night King, which HBO (and Djawadi) promoted the hell of on internet, but that cue sounded like they were trying to repeat the success of Light of the Seven from S6. I'm not sure if a piano combined with the Night King or the situation it appeared. Anyway, there were much better scores this season, specially for the series finale, which had some great music. 

S8 wasn't exactly Djawadi's peak on his work on the series, I felt he fared much better on seasons 5, 6 and specially 7.

That said, the other contenders for the category weren't exactly, well, outstanding. I don' watch Barry or This Is Us, so I don't know how their music is like, but I can't remember a single note of the music of the nominated episodes of House of Cards (the series finale) and The Handmaid's Tale (season 2 finale).

Also, GOT won a huge amount of Creative Emmys as well.

In any other era of mass media scoring work this would have been considered average and barely worth a mention, but as if stands and with the current state of the craft, Djawadi's effort is the best thing since sliced bread. 

25 minutes ago, Quintus said:

In any other era of mass media scoring work this would have been considered average and barely worth a mention, but as if stands and with the current state of the craft, Djawadi's effort is the best thing since sliced bread. 

miniGif_20190828130535.thumb.gif.966d3d1

Season 1-7: I am Daenerys Stormborn, of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria – I am the Dragon’s Daughter. And I swear to you, that those who would harm you will die screaming.

Season 8: Hey y'all, Crazy Dany's in town! 

On 7/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jay said:

Unbelievably, Game of Thrones Season 8 has received a whopping FIFTEEN EMMY NOMINATIONS!!!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/emmys-2019-nominations-complete-list-1203268665/

Most shockingly is a Best Writing nomination for Benioff & Weiss (for the finale), and THREE Best Directing nominations (for episodes 3, 4, and 6)

Wow!

Well GOT lost in every acting category except for Dinklage winning again. 

It lost Best Writing to Succession and Best Directing to Ozark

Best Drama coming up in a bit

And season 8 wins best drama series 

Benioff and Weiss twice mentioned how I experienced they were when GRRM hired them lol. 

He's on stage with everyone.  Wow Gwendolyn Christie is seriously taller than anyone else on stage

How can you win best drama series and not win for writing and directing: two of the most important factors when discussing the success of a show? Sure the actors can polish a turd, and the cinematography can carry boring scenes, but it's meaningless without direction and scripting!

42 minutes ago, Arpy said:

How can you win best drama series and not win for writing and directing: two of the most important factors when discussing the success of a show? Sure the actors can polish a turd, and the cinematography can carry boring scenes, but it's meaningless without direction and scripting!

Separate categories for recognition of achievement in certain disciplines?

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

At the Oscars at it unimaginable for a film to win Best Picture without winning atleast a writing or directing award, atleast one if not both. In the past 70 years at the Oscars, only 1 film has won best picture without winning either a writing or directing award - Chicago. That's it. Every other best picture winner in the past 70 years won atleast one.

So I agree it is quite rare.