GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Coming soon: One and a half man

:lol:

The finale of the season was spectacular. So much happening that it felt like 30 minutes but there were so many great scenes in this one and excellent set up for season 2.

And for the love of good television, give season 2 more episodes! I want to see more of all the characters! :P

Your video reminded me of something I did some years ago, I synced up a track from the soundtrack of the Star Trek episode Amok Time (the classic fight music as demonstrated in The Cable Guy) to the video of the part in Gladiator where Maximus has a big fight in one of the gladiator pits before he goes to Rome. It synced up almost perfectly.

I accidentally did a similar thing with the Grimmauld Place scene in OOTP. I watched the scene as the house 'appeared', and near the end was thinking, "I don't remember this scene having any music". Turned out I'd accidentally pressed my hotkey to start Winamp playing, and Dizzy's Death from Starship Troopers was playing. Up until around the woodwind part, that track syncs up 100% perfectly with the scene.

By the way,I have a question to our mod team: is it OK to discuss here things that are in the first book, but that were NOT in the first season of the show?

I would just put it in a spoiler block, and say "Spoilers for first book only" or something like that before the spoiler block. That way 99% of people will feel safe reading it, but the super anal retentives who don't want to know stuff like that for fear it will be mentioned in a future season can skip it.

YES, EXACTLY.

Don't know why spoilersome little twats ruining "minor" things which others might have invested considerable degrees of emotional attachment to might find such people to be "anal retentives", though. I suppose such brazen selfishness goes hand in hand with being said twat :thumbup:

Anyway, just finished the finale too and we weren't disappointed at all, it was a superb end. Roll on season 2, the wait is gonna be painful.

This show will do well at the Emmys.

Second season in spring 2012! Agonizing wait begins.

Bloodboal:

The man who caught Arya and cut her hair was Yoren, a man of the Night's Watch, who we saw in the early episodes when Tyrion was on the Wall. He travelled with him to the south to gather more men for the Watch and ended up in King's Landing.

In the defence of the novel and the series (I am the regular GoT Yes-guy) I have to say that 10 episodes was not enough to comfortably adapt everything in the book, naturally omitting a fair amount of minor characters and scenes. In the series there were a few places where the story telling could have lingered a little longer with a scene but I also understand that there is so much to tell that running time of a single episode will not allow it (except if the scene had girls getting their knickers off). They kept a brisk pace in the last episodes anyway, pushing the plot forward on all fronts. But I think the finale was very satisfying even though there was no super-duber-cliff hanger & mysterious questions left to be solved next season. Except every character story reached a sort of turn from where the story intriguingly continues. ;)

P.S. Have I told you how much the music in this series sucks?

Djawadi should have hired an orchestra instead of electric cello, those awful synth drums and strings and that harp-thingy he so often uses. The final scene had some effort put into it but hey synth orchestra and choir just don't have what it takes to carry such events with dignity. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Yeah ten episodes is a bit tight-fisted; hopefully they'll up the amount for the next season.

My gf has started the first book and I'm tempted to myself but I like the flow and structure of the tv adaptation - I don't want to be distracted during the second season by all of the changes made from the book. I think I prefer a lean retelling.

I think they have made the series as "fat" as they could for 50 minute episodes. A very good retelling that has really captured the spirit of the source material.

What this show needs is a small, specific orchestra ala Lost and a composer who would truly orgasm at the possibility of scoring this, like would any film composer with good taste.

Also, someone tell me the second season isn't going to be called "Game of Thrones season 2"...

Hey hey, I don't want to be a stick in the mud and ruin the thread for you guys and so of course I don't expect every outside link to be vetted prior to posting. Nobody forces me to click on that stuff ;)

That EW interview was interesting, thank you for linking. I don't mind officially endorsed "spoilers".

Good finale to a great first season, possibly one of the best first seasons in television history ever...

I think you are a bit harsh regarding Djawadi. I remember a comment about scoring sessions in prague with choir and orchestra from one of the producers. So they

obviously didn't use a synth orchestra.

But i have to admit considering the source material, the quality and inpiration this series should have provided for any composer, the score falls flat. This was a goldmine of opportunities for greatness. As a composer of such a show you should deliver a hell of a good score and have the most fun in your lifetime. This is where Djawadi failed. He only delivered an average score which is no doubt regarded better than it really is (eleveated by the great show itself).

That is the reason they will probably keep Djawadi. He didn't make any mistakes but he also didn't deliver something better than average.

I don't think I am too harsh on Djawadi. He produced something completely average and way under my expectations. And say whatever you like, most of the score sounds synthetic so either Djawadi took way too many lessons from Zimmer and got all his orchestra sounding like synths or he had a very small scoring budget and had to rely on synths a lot to patch up for missing instruments. At least this is the idea I get from listening to the album.

Ah well at least his music is unobtrusive enough not to interfere with the great show.

I do LOVE the opening credits though.

So do I. I have to commend Djawadi for nailing that pretty spot on.

I'm also a big fan of the show :)

I thought the finale was great and much prefered the calm before the storm approach instead of a banana skin slip cliffhanger.

Unfortunately, like many others it seems, I find the music to be well below par in what this series deserved.

If only .......

Of course this isn't a perfect example but for me at least, the imagery has much more life and feeling with music this rich.

Damn, roll on season 2!!

I'm thinking on rescoring some scenes with Flesh+Blood.

I could imagine that working to perfection with e.g. the king's arrival scene in the first episode. :)

I'm thinking on rescoring some scenes with Flesh+Blood.

I could imagine that working to perfection with e.g. the king's arrival scene in the first episode. :)

My thoughts exactly :lol:

And Rósza's Ivanhoe too, of course!

Watched the finale earlier. Meh. I'm sure I'll watch season 2, but like most of the episodes of this first season, this one merely held my attention. There are some great moments, and I can't deny that the acting and general sense of professionalism are fantastic, but this show just doesn't have that intangible quality that makes me feel addicted. I still have a hard time caring too much about it, and it doesn't help that a full season in, I'm STILL finding myself thinking, Who are they talking about? half the time.

Also, I must say...this isn't a huge deal for me, but that did not feel like a season finale. It was just an episode that happened to be the end of a season.

:thumbup: Those were season finales. Again, I'm not too worked up about the fact that they didn't turn it into an all-out spectacle...better to have some subtlety than to have them go totally overboard with bad CG and a forcedly climactic tone and whatnot. But it would have been nice to get something that felt just a little more like a season finale.

From my memory of Lost its chapter endings were more 'Dan Brown' than anything. Cheap (sometimes unanswered) cliffhangers for masses. The understated slow-burn of the GoT wrap-up was not only superbly done, but tastefully so. There was no daft twist or HEY, LOOK AT ME! MAKE SURE YOU COME BACK NEXT YEAR!

;)

I'm not even talking about cliffhangers, which can indeed come across as pandering to the adrenaline-junkie masses if they're not handled tastefully. (I happen to think that this was never an issue with LOST's season finales, but to each his own.) My concern is simply that it didn't feel...final. It just felt like another episode. If I hadn't already known it was the season finale, I never would have guessed. The strength of LOST's finales came not from whatever cliffhangers might have arisen, but from the way those episodes brought together all the elements of their respective seasons into powerful, moving storytelling that both finished one chapter and started another. Each season had its own central themes, locations, characters, and ideas, and each season finale did an excellent job of wrapping those up while beginning to set up the next season. There was nothing in "Fire and Blood" that felt that way to me.

Again, let me emphasize that this is NOT a big deal for me. I was just making an observation.

I saw that "twist" coming a mile off. I mean, the thing had been slowly building up to it for about four episodes...

I do not think it was designed to be a season finale twist at all, but rather an expectation fulfilled. Very satisfying stuff and a great, great way to end the first season of this very ambitious production.

Data, it's fine that it didn't affect you as it did me. I'm just saying I strongly disagree with you, that's all :)

I started out on this story completely blind. I had my reservations. But slowly, and assuredly, it drew me in and absolutely won me over. Mark my words: this will be remembered as something special in the medium of contemporary television programming.

Well as one person who was watching Fellowship of the Ring commented while leaving the cinema: What?!!!! Come on, they have been flailing about and crossing swords for 3 hours and there is no ending!??? This sucks! :P

I think Lost season finales were fine if a little dependant on the big twist to make you anticipate the next season. They literally turned things on their head and added a big question for the following season to answer. It was not a bad thing and became a trope of the show, a trademark other shows have since tried to capture and failed miserably. But the writers were surprising themselves as much as the audience when they began to write the next season.

With GoT the story continues from the finale of the 1st season straight into the 2nd season. There is already a full road map of a book for the writers to lean on. The final episode presents the culmination of the storylines of the first book, some resolved but most left unresolved. It could be said that out of the main characters only Eddard Stark's road ends in the first season. The first book whet my appetite and made me really want to go on reading to find out what happens to these characters. I thought the finale of the series had the same effect. Daenerys, through all hardship she has endured, has grown into a strong woman and now she has the dragons, almost a reward for her suffering. What next?

Tyrion is suddenly elevated into a high position he would never have dreamed his father would afford him. Where will it take him? Robb Stark is declared King of the North. What will Cately do now with a husband dead and a king for a son? Joffrey is now the king and how nice it will be for Sansa. What will happen to her? What will they do with poor Arya? Will Jon Snow find his uncle Benjen or just White Walkers beyond the Wall when the Night's Watch goes ranging in such large numbers for the first time in living memory? What will happen to Bran? What will happen to the Lannister queen regent and her captured brother?

This is a long list of questions and I was anxious to find out the answers and read the second novel and the third and the fourth in rapid succession. Same goes for the series now. Of course if the series did not grab you and you did not care for the characters then it will be quite natural that you won't be very concerned about their fates.

I recently had a talk with a friend about the show and it seems I have been extremely lenient with the deviations and adaptation of the novel. He as a huge fan of the books was much more nit-picky about details than I was, who consider myself a big fan as well. Colour or style of someone's hair, or she or he should be prettier or uglier etc. With actors you can often have some attributes but certainly compromises are in order. One thing we were in agreement was that the season was a few episodes too short. A couple more of them would have made the series breathe a bit easier as the events began to pile towards the last 4 episodes and lent a bit rushed sense to some key ones that could have benefited from slower pacing. But on the whole I have been extremely happy with the adaptation as I have said a few times before.

First casting announcement for Season 2:

Natalie Dormer in A Clash Of Kings.

Yay! Love that actress.

By the way, forgot to ask: is her character a major protagonist of Season 2 ?

I've read a lot of comments from A Song Of Fire and Ice fans, saying they would have prefer to have her as Melisandre. Does anyone who has read A Clash Of Kings agree ?

I just finished reading the Clash of King the second time last week and am currently on the Storm of Swords. And regarding your question:

Margaery Tyrell will not be a major character in season 2 or should not be. I hope they remain faithful to the novels and do not expand her role beyond what is in the book. I am sure she will make a good Margaery but I would imagine she would have made a decent Melisandre as well. I have not seen her in any roles so I do not know is she a good actress but by appearance she would be better for the role of Melisandre. I hope they will cast someone who has a powerful presence for the role though.

I knew I had loved this show when I got serious goosebumps in the

"The King in the North!"

scene.

The show isn't without its faults (pacing, music, characters that appear or dissappear randomly, etc), but it's good.

Regarding the last episode, I think the season truly climaxes at episode 9, and the last is sort of an epilogue and introduction to season 2. Not every show has to work like Lost.

For those who know what happens next, does the story ever gets into explaining the whole erratic seasons thing or it's just background?

Yeah, that part you just mentioned was very rousing indeed! After the trauma of what happened at the end of episode 9, it was a stirringly uplifting moment almost buried amongst the impending doom of a coming war on all fronts. Great stuff.

For those who know what happens next, does the story ever gets into explaining the whole erratic seasons thing or it's just background?

I haven't read the book, but from what I understand, it's just part of the universe JRR Martin (note the pun, here) created.

Winter can last for years or two weeks. That just is. But maybe there is an explanation, like... the whole magnetic field thingy at King's Landing.

Yes it is just part of the fabric of the world. One of the little nuances that set the world of GoT apart from ours. It is not explained beyond that winter is coming and this time it is feared to be a long one because there has been 10 years of summer, one of the longest period recorded. In storytelling it is kind of a overarching thematic thing that reflects the events of the world turning more dire and possibly the more mythological world engulfing ramifications that lurk in the background of the story.

So... No electromagnetic field ? :mellow:

We don't know that as of yet. Fingers crossed! ;)

What electromagnetic field? :blink:

It was a joke. Poking a little fun on Lost and GoT. :P