GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Well done, Finnish boy. You're good.

OK, so I have one more question for you: how can I hack the FBI website?

Nah I was just persistent and tried different things. After 15 or so attempts I finally figured it out. And I will certainly not teach people to hack websites, you young rascal you. Always up to your mischievous shenanigans.

I bet the publisher has been thinking hard how to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the publicity gained from the TV series. And this Amazon exclusive is all they have to offer? Not even includes the 5th book? Bah! My "cashing in" sense is tingling.

I want extras, behind-the-scenes information, documentaries, featurettes!

And I do have a HBO series promoting paperback box of these novels. Nothing says Game of Thrones like Sean Bean's face on a box cover. And it was absolutely the cheapest way of getting all 4 books together.

I agree. Fantasy artists have tough time already of finding a job and then Sean Bean's brooding face puts them out of a job.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet. Right now we're catching up on Dexter and True Blood, then will start Breaking Bad, then Game of Thrones

Funny, I thought the violence itself was minimal and always justified, anyway. Was it cool? Of course it was, unless you're a mincing little ponce. I remember this one time the violence was even... profoundly shocking. But as stated, it never felt in bad taste, or titillating. We all know here how the fucking nudity got on my nerves no end, but I'm glad Rushdie got his rocks of with it. It seems Salman just counted himself in with the teenage boys and frustrated husbands whom that nonsense was aimed at, which amuses me; the irony, I mean.

Maybe it's time for another fatwa.

• 3 weeks later...

This series features a fantastic cast as can be seen on the 1st season but boy the casting of 2nd season is equally fantastic. The list is full of some real British veteran actors like Oliver Ford Davies and Robert Pugh and also terrific younger ones like Stephen Dillane.

This series features a fantastic cast as can be seen on the 1st season but boy the casting of 2nd season is equally fantastic. The list is full of some real British veteran actors like Oliver Ford Davies and Robert Pugh and also terrific younger ones like Stephen Dillane.

Well said! The casting for this series is truly fantastic. I was really impressed by all the actors in the first season, especially the children actors. And one most marvel at Emilia Clarke for her portrayal of Daenerys.

I can't wait for the second season!

- KK

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting. New footage and all. I hope they show Beric Dondarrion for 10 minutes straight in a Hitchcock styled shot of the camera revolving around the character.

To be honest, there's nothing interesting in there. They just say how it ends and who dies. ;)

Speaking of spoilers, I forgot I got the second book now so I can find out. But just read the prologue chapter so far.

Karol

Well there was nothing truly and utterly spoilerish about that 2 minute blurb from the producers/writers but there were a few quick glimpses of new and old faces from the Second Season. Slightly tantalizing.

Alas no announcement that Djawadi would have been ditched and replaced with a good composer either.

I don't see what's so terrible about him. His music doesn't stand out to me as bad, it's just there. I'd take that over some horrible mis-scoring any day.

What's so terrible is settling there, instead of what it could be.

I get that the music could be better, it's just that I'm really, really happy with the show at the moment, and I really don't want anything to change. I'm actually enjoying the show too much to care about the music, if I can't notice it either way then it's doing it's job. An overly thematic orchestral score could either be a very good or very bad thing for the show, IMO. I'd trust Giacchino, but few others.

A point of reference: I love Murray Gold's music to Doctor Who. But more often than not the music is so loud and over the top that it takes you out of the show. The music is brilliantly written, but not placed well at all.

I get that the music could be better, it's just that I'm really, really happy with the show at the moment, and I really don't want anything to change. I'm actually enjoying the show too much to care about the music, if I can't notice it either way then it's doing it's job. An overly thematic orchestral score could either be a very good or very bad thing for the show, IMO. I'd trust Giacchino, but few others.

When I first obtained the score, I found it despicable because a concept of this depth could have spawned a musical universe with the intelligent thematic integrity of LOTR. But thats not what we got....then having listened to the score a couple of times, I got a better idea of what Djawadi was trying to do. Its still a terribly weak score mind you (most of it being synethetic droning and percussion loops), but if I've got to say its Djawadi's best. I sum up my thoughts here:

http://musicmusekk.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/game-of-thrones-ramin-djawadi/

Wrote it a long time ago, only set up the site recently. :P

Anyways, I still think the show deserves a better musical voice, but I'd like to see where Djawadi takes the music in terms of development. And hopefully he improves on it. The whole "its a talking show" excuse isn't that useful considering there were moments in the show that were screaming out for epic music moments, instead we got a bit of the main ostinato and some percussion.

But like you said, most of us are enjoying the show too much to pay any mind to the music.

- KK