GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Bran is the new Night King and will raise all he dead!

That would be terrible!

11 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

What about the Riverlands, the Reach

You'll have to remind me what we know about these areas (from the show, not the books) and why they are currently loyal to The North and not The Queen of the 7 Kingdoms... yet didn't fight at Winterfell?

and Dorne?

I wouldn't be surprised if the show never mentions Dorne again!

11 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Maybe Daario Naharis will show up with an army from the Bay of Dragons...

Oh good call.  There's tons of people in Essos who can help.  I forgot!

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

You'll have to remind me what we know about these areas (from the show, not the books) and why they are currently loyal to The North and not The Queen of the 7 Kingdoms?

The Freys were nominally in charge of the Riverlands, but were able to hold them only with Lannister support. House Frey was decapitated by Arya. Edmure Tully is apparently still alive. Presumably his sympathies will incline towards the Starks as opposed to Cersei.

Randyll Tarly was the most prominent figure in the Reach after Olenna's defeat. Was he officially made Lord of the Reach (I can't quite recall)? In any case, the most prominent Reach figure now is Samwell! He renounced all claims to titles, but I guess that's a minor technicality at this point and can be overturned if convenience demands it...

The Dornish people are certain to sympathise with a Targaryen over a Lannister (though we have no remaining representatives of their leaders).

I don't pretend to have any idea how things will play out, but if the writers need Daenerys (or Jon) to be able to rebuild a sizeable army, they probably have enough leeway to do so. Being able to claim to have saved Westeros from the Army of the Dead would be good for PR, although Cersei might retort that it was fake news.

Oh yes, I suspect there are some "surprise" face reveals left to happen for sure, especially since Arya didn't use that trick to defeat the Night King

I'm sure we'll see Jaqen H'ghar again, like him either alone or with some other faceless men will travel to Westeros to confront Arya

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The thing I can't figure out is, if there is a massive battle yet to come, what soldiers are left to fight on the side of the good guys?  The bad guys have everyone loyal to Cersei, and the 20,000 Golden Company soldiers she just bought.  The good guys have 2 dragons and... what else?  They made it seem like all or most of the Dothraki and Unsullied died in Winterfell, along with all the soldiers that were loyal to the Starks.  So if they head south to attack King's Landing, who is left to pick up and help them out along the way?  I know Yara left to go to Iron Islands, but how many of them are left that aren't with Euron?  How many boats are left that aren't Eurons?  The Eyrie's army was with the Winterfell crew for a while, right?  So who else is there?

You can never have enough Deus ex Machina...

What is the general consensus on here about Ramin Djawadi’s music? His main theme is great and memorable, but the rest of his music I find to be mostly just your standard RCP stuff. There are some scenes I remember seeing that have been scored really questionably. Sounds like he’s phoning it in a lot of the time.

9 hours ago, Alex said:

What is the general consensus on here about Ramin Djawadi’s music? His main theme is great and memorable, but the rest of his music I find to be mostly just your standard RCP stuff. 

That's an insult to a lot of RCP tbh.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

That's an insult to a lot of RCP tbh.

Come one, you can’t tell me that a lot of the incidental music doesn’t sound like it standard effort by HZ and his collaborators

I don't know if some of the problem with GoT's music might be a choice of the directors. It's just very middle-of-the-road and despite a few moments where there seems to be a conscious effort to make the music stand out, most of it sounds like background noise, some drumming and the occasional piano plonk. It doesn't help that most of the time it sounds like he's playing it back through a midi program or garage band.

As discussed in the Westworld thread, I think that's where Djawadi might've found his groove where his synthetic/electronicstyle works wonders.

I dunno to what extent the directors have influence over the music. TV is a producers medium.

55 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It doesn't help that most of the time it sounds like he's playing it back through a midi program or garage band.

That's a problem, indeed. A show with such epic visual scope, and the music feels too small for it.

There are a few good cues throughout the series, but in general, I find the score to be embarrassingly boring.

For comparison, I prefer the music accompanying the new Lost In Space series by Christopher Lennertz, which is more grand, more symphonic and has more character overall.

Can anyone else confirm reports that these latest eps have been mastered at brightness/gamma levels that are way too low? I've heard this complaint about GoT for years how it's rarely lit with popping highlights, resulting in a dankish monochromatic look that makes people and environments almost indistinguishable. If enough people have complained, I reckon it must be true that there'd be something off with how they're shooting and mastering this show.

S08E03 was dark, but it was by choice. If it was too dark, the cinematographer blames your TV settings and your surrounding ambience that causes light disturbances on your screen - lol.

”A lot of the problem is that a lot of people don’t know how to tune their TVs properly.”

/—-/

“The showrunners decided that this had to be a dark episode. /—-/ We’d seen so many battle scenes over the years — to make it truly impactful and to care for the characters, you have to find a unique way of portraying the story.”

Source

Somehow it wasn't too dark for me and I saw everything fine as it played out in the episode. Then again I am a calibration/settings freak so it's no surprise to me really.

Still a shitty episode.

54 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

The last episode was dark, but no more so than appropriate. It looked magnificent.

First viewing no problem on my MacBook. Second viewing no problem on my TV.

I wonder how many people complaining were watching illegally.

My problem wasn't that I couldn't see what was happening, but that the action itself was bad.  Badly staged, edited, and paced.  On reflection, it's easily one of the worst episodes of the series as purely a piece of contained storytelling.

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My problem wasn't that I couldn't see what was happening, but that the action itself was bad.  Badly staged, edited, and paced.  On reflection, it's easily one of the worst episodes of the series as purely a piece of contained storytelling.

These were the exact problems, capped off with an enormously deflating plot denouncement in the final few minutes. It was this show's biggest episode so far, yet they somehow got everything wrong.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ozymandias! This ep could have been the show's Ozymandias. Perhaps it should have.

That would require the writers to be more crafty than Martin!

I wonder why this is the last season? If they were taking things in a different direction from the books, why end it at this season? Why not hold their horses, wait and work with Martin to find a middle ground? They could produce two more seasons if they wanted! 

No.

Martin would rather the show had gone on for another couple of seasons but D&D want to finish up the series and move on to something else. 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

More seasons? Of what? Tyrion's wanderings across the sea? More Dorne stuff?

Thats exactly what he wants more of. 

No, I think one of the later books does just that, after Tyrion killed his father.

Just now, Bilbo said:

Thats exactly what he wants more of. 

Considering how these show runners (apparently) screwed up Dorne, I certainly would not want more.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, I think one of the later books does just that, after Tyrion killed his father.

Considering how these show runners (apparently) screwed up Dorne, I certainly would not want more.

I don’t think Dorne in the books is any better really. It’s dull as fuck. 

It’s not like D&D just turned into bad adapters after season 4.

After season 4 there were too major problems: 

1) what they were now adapting just wasn’t as good as what came before. That’s becauss Martin lost the run of himself in the books.

2) they had to make shit up and only knew the bones of what was going to happen.

Martin doesn’t and shouldn’t get a free pass. Any dip in quality is as much his fault as anyone else’s.

Apparently there are still 3 successor shows in various stages of development 

Wonder how many people only still follow the show because the end is very much in sight, might as well finish it now if we got this far. I know I'm probably one of them.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Wonder how many people only still follow the show because the end is very much in sight, might as well finish it now if we got this far. I know I'm probably one of them.

That's me!

I've been in it for the BIGGER THAN LOTR epic finale the show had been teasing us with for years for quite a while now. All the intrigue and character stuff has been stuff I had to suffer through.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

I would say many if not most. It's the TV series version of Stockholm syndrome. You finish hoping against hope that there's a worthwhile payoff. It's why many fans painfully stuck through Lost as well.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

i would have stopped after last season if the end weren’t in sight

Yeah, that's more what I meant: whatever spectacularity could have been in promise, if I had to sit through 2 more seasons jumping between good, bad and meh for it, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

34 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I would say many if not most. It's the TV series version of Stockholm syndrome. You finish hoping against hope that there's a worthwhile payoff. It's why many fans painfully stuck through Lost as well.

Sounds like me with The X-Files. 

George R. Martin doesn’t give a damn about structure. Otherwise, Arya wouldn’t have killed the Night King in such a undramatic fashion. Wasn’t that supposed to have been Jon Snow?