SF1_freeze

Game of Thrones

7942 posts in this topic

Holy cow, Ginia Bellafante is BRUTAL in her NY Times review of the series!

http://tv.nytimes.co...hbo-review.html

OK, that was enlightening. bowdown

The true perversion, though, is the sense you get that all of this illicitness has been tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise. While I do not doubt that there are women in the world who read books like Mr. Martin's, I can honestly say that I have never met a single woman who has stood up in indignation at her book club and refused to read the latest from Lorrie Moore unless everyone agreed to "The Hobbit" first. "Game of Thrones" is boy fiction patronizingly turned out to reach the population's other half.

How right she is ! Of course ! Fantasy is for men who refuse to grow up, and women are only interested in this genre when there is sex. Everybody knows that. All that women want is to see a whore suck Tyrion's dick (see, that's easy to write something provocative).

We should all sign to her book club, so we get real literature, with tea and cookies. I'm coming, Ginia !

I can't wholly disagree with that review. But hopefully those sentiments will no longer resonate with me after a few more episodes. We'll see!

You disappointed me, Data. But hopefully those sentiments will no longer resonate with me after a few more episodes. We'll see!

;)

On a more interesting note, here is a discussion with Angus Wall (yeah, how ironic !) who created the opening credits for the series. We learn that it will change for some episodes (Episode 2, for example), and that there are four different versions of it.

And here is a four-part interview with G.R.R. Martin for TIME magazine. Lot of interesting stuff, here :

Part 1: Game of Thrones, from Book to TV

Part 2: Fantasy and History

Part 3: The Twilight Zone and Lost

Part 4: Personal History

Sedohr likes this

what a dissapointing main theme - the music in general I think

Dragon Age: Origins has a much better soundtrack

I can't wholly disagree with that review. But hopefully those sentiments will no longer resonate with me after a few more episodes. We'll see!

You disappointed me, Data. But hopefully those sentiments will no longer resonate with me after a few more episodes. We'll see!

;)

:lol: I know, I wanted to like it more than I did. Fingers crossed for improvement in my taste or theirs! It's not like I've given up on the show or anything.

My disappointment came from the fact that you (more or less) agreed with Bellafante's "review", not from the fact that you didn't like the first episode (but that certainly played a part in it).

;)

Well, there were opinions in there I could relate to. Not the bit about the sex being there for the ladies, though.

Just watched this, very impressed. Haven't read the books so this is all new, but so far so good. Music was worst part but even that wasn't terrible, just generally bland.

Bring on the next episode.

And here is a four-part interview with G.R.R. Martin for TIME magazine. Lot of interesting stuff, here :

Part 1: Game of Thrones, from Book to TV

Part 2: Fantasy and History

Part 3: The Twilight Zone and Lost

Part 4: Personal History

A very interesting and enlightening interview indeed. My respect for this man is steadily growing. That he is a Tolkien fan (shows in his books quite clearly) is a good reason for starters. :)

And the fact that he has worked as a writer for TV shows in the structure of his books in a good way and that is why I always felt this novel series would be suitable for TV adaptation. It has the feel and pacing that lends itself for it.

Ok, this show really needs to start being bi-weekly.

It's interesting, especially as the official website has brought it up. I'll spoiler it:

Cersei's speech about her first son. Is this real? Is this an actual glimpse into who she is and why on a genuine level, or is this more of the manipulation that has led her to where she is?

I won't be able to see this episode and the following until next week. Damn !

Was there an (slight) improvement with the music in this episode ? (You never know !)

The second episode was a great one with more character building and adding a more to the background and plot of the story. This story obviously is not told in haste which a thing I like about it but it may alienate some viewers with what they perceive as slow pace.

Djawadi's score did not improve enormously from the first episode and a certain synth-cheapness is audible at times. The absence of real brass and wood winds is very noticeable. He certainly supports the mood of the scenes but that's about it.

The episode was another great one with appropriate and mostly true to the book character moments

Folks, this is a (albeit feature like) TV show and for that the music is absolutely ok.

It even improved a bit in this episode and there appears to be a nice Winterfell / Stark theme which is far better than the Main theme

( for example most poignant at around 16:34 and at 52:11 in episode 2 and in another variation at 9:30 in episode 1 )

And i cant agree with Incanus here that Djawadi only supports the mood, because the Stark theme with its appearance starting at 16:34

enhanced the scene and made it better. As well the piece that accompanied the

Jon and Ned Goodbye scene

Just watched the second episode. Slow indeed, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. I feel like I'm starting to get a better handle on who the characters are and whatnot, which is good. Still not hooked, but the production values remain high, and the acting is pretty good, and everyone says the story starts getting really good a little while later, so I suppose I'll keep watching...

For a TV show, yeah, the music is okayish. But this genre begs for acoustic instruments and an approach that is not too overbearingly modern.

BTW, I like Sean Bean a lot better in this than in LOTR. I guess a part of me was expecting to get the same sort of performance, and this has been a pleasant surprise. Actually, I find this show's overall style of acting to just be a lot more convincing than that of LOTR, which always feels bloated and artificial and pompous to me. I know part of that is that they couldn't stray too far from the original writing style of the books, but still. Game of Thrones feels more natural to me, and I appreciate that, even though I'm not totally hooked yet.

Thusfar I have to say the cast of the whole show has been excellent. Sean Bean plays the role to the stark perfection (pun intended) and Mark Addy is just awesome in the role of a lively but often grim monarch. My own mental pictures of the characters have faded a lot since I first read the books (which must be over 3 years ago) so the actors do not intrude horribly with my own conceptions of the characters. Plus the books have literal armies of characrters so no wonder some of them blur into the background in your mind.

And I have to say I am waiting with interest for the appearance of Tywin Lannister who will be played by none other than Charles Dance, one of the greatest British villain actors. Funnily I always pictured Tywin Lannister looking like him when I read the books so casting him for the show was for me a happy surprise. Now my mental image is not disturbed at all. And yes Charles Dance plays aristocrat villains all the time so it will be interesting what kind of little nuances he can bring to the role.

:P

Really enjoyed episode 2, maybe a bit more than episode 1, perhaps since the anticipation/hype has died down a bit. Also perhaps because we're seeing more of the world instead of (mainly) Winterfell. Great fun seeing events from the book unfold on screen. Even though I knew what was coming, when Ned went to do what he had to do at the end of the episode (no spoilers), it was still heartbreaking. It almost feels like 10 episodes isn't enough to cover this first book... though part of that may be because I have events from books 1 and 2 running together in my head. (Just started reading book 3 this week, hooray!)

Aha! I knew Maester Luwin seemed familiar. He was in an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures. (speaking of heartbreaking, RIP Lis Sladen :( )

Aha! I knew Maester Luwin seemed familiar. He was in an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures. (speaking of heartbreaking, RIP Lis Sladen :( )

Donald Sumpter is an excellent British character actor. I remember him as the Mr. Cust from the Agatha Christie's Poirot, The ABC Murders. :)

And the story continues. The new episode brings us another step along the way, deepens the characters some more and sets up more plot and new characters. It was nice to see Julian Glover in the show as Grand Maester Pycelle and James Cosmo as Jeor Mormont. They seem to have all the British greats in this. I personally like the almost titillating feel of things slowly brewing but am a fan of the novels and can imagine that to someone who is watching the series without any knowledge of coming events could feel a tad impatient at the meticulous character building and slow building of events.

The production itself keeps impressing me with every passing episode. Gorgeous sets, full of details, a world alive and breathing, colorful but not too out of touch with stark real world sensibilities, costumes and great special effects work contribute to this character driven story in a great way.

Acting is also stellar at this point, the highlight of the episode being the parting of Catelyn and Eddard Stark. Sean Bean projects this very disciplined, good and decent personality that is also grim, dutiful and honourable. Underneath he is obviously a loving husband and a good father but rarely shows this. To see the unspoken feelings reflected in Sean Bean's performance was just poignant.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is perfect in his ambiguous performance of cunning and witty, often honorable but sarcastic, self-mocking but proud dwarf of whose sympathies and loyalties you are still not entirely convinced.

And the story continues. The new episode brings us another step along the way, deepens the characters some more and sets up more plot and new characters. It was nice to see Julian Glover in the show as Grand Maester Pycelle and James Cosmo as Jeor Mormont. They seem to have all the British greats in this. I personally like the almost titillating feel of things slowly brewing but am a fan of the novels and can imagine that to someone who is watching the series without any knowledge of coming events could feel a tad impatient at the meticulous character building and slowly building of events.

The production itself keeps impressing me with every passing episode. Gorgeous sets, full of details, a world alive and breathing, colorful but not too out of touch with stark real world sensibilities, costumes and great special effects work contribute to this character driven story in a great way.

Acting is also stellar at this point, the highlight of the episode being the parting of Catelyn and Eddard Stark. Sean Bean projects this very disciplined, good and decent personality that is also grim, dutiful and honourable. Underneath he is obviously a loving husband and a good father but rarely shows this. To see the unspoken feelings reflected in Sean Bean's performance was just poignant.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is perfect in his ambiguous performance of cunning and witty, often honorable but sarcastic, self-mocking but proud dwarf of whose sympathies and loyalties you are still not entirely convinced.

I pretty much agree with you 100% on just about all you've said. It was GREAT seeing Julian Glover, my word he's looking old now isn't he? And I couldn't place James Cosmo so I had to Google him to figure out it was Braveheart I knew him from.

I keep wondering how well the show is keeping fans who've not read the books and have no idea of the great stuff coming.

Speaking of which... Spoiler alert!

The parting of Catelyn and Eddard was very heartbreaking, with us in the audience knowing this was the last time these two characters saw each other, though possibly Eddard has an inkling of what's to come in the pit of nastiness that is King's Landing, maybe even Catelyn knows deep down. The closeup on Sean Bean as he was fighting back his emotions, wow. In general you can tell Eddard knows he's on dangerous ground being the King's Hand, too.

I wonder how the non-book readers are gonna react to the BIG twist that's due in a few episodes' time. When I was reading the book the first time, I kind of got the sense it might happen just before it did, but even then I kept thinking, "No, they couldn't do THAT, could they?" Looking forward to seeing the internet reaction. :)

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion has that character nailed perfectly. Just the right touches of sarcasm, pride, resentment, teasing, whatever is called for, he's great.

Maisie Williams playing Arya I think has that character down pretty dang good, too.

Wonder when they'll start announcing casting for Season 2, as there are a few new and important characters debuting in A Clash of Kings. Supposedly starting filming in June, so it's pretty close now. Here I am, 3 episodes into Season 1 and I'm already anxious for Season 2. :D

Haha, nice catch with that motif. :D

I just watched the third episode. I definitely get the sense that this is all going somewhere, and I think at this point I'm committed to seeing where exactly that is. Definitely a slow start, though. Rather brave of them to do that.

Agreed about the acting, BTW. Sean Bean especially. I really like the way you described him, Mikko - he has those layers, and you get those glimpses of the warmth that lies beneath his necessarily tough exterior. He's got a good face for conveying that sort of thing. In a totally different way, Hugh Laurie's House is similarly layered. Unsympathetic exterior, but you can see something very different lying beneath the surface.

OK, I've finally seen Episode 2 ! I now, I'm late, but I'm catching up. Slowly, but surely !

I liked that episode even better than the first one. Now that the characters have been introduced, we can learn to like them (and there are a lot to like). Their personality really start showing, and this is the time we start saying "I'm gonna like this character, I'm gonna hate that one...). Jon's great (Loved his goodbye scenes with each Stark member). And so is Tyrion (Ah ! Those three slaps to Joffrey !).

The actors are all great in their roles (especially Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Maisy Williams as Arya).

One small complaint, though : Daenerys' storyline was a bit dull. That's the only part in the show I'm not really interested in for the moment.

Concerning the music, I though there was a slight improvement. We're still miles behind great TV scores such as Giacchino's LOST (can we really expect something like that from Djawadi ?), but if this continues, we might end up with a decent score for the finale. By the way, forgot to mention something about the music from the first episode : the music for the first apparition of the White Walkers reminded me a bit Those We Don't Speak Of from The Village. Anyone agrees ?

Loved the ending of that episode. Time to see Episode 3 !

P.S. : It would be good that people putting spoilers precise whether these are spoilers concerning the books or the show only (so that people who never read the books know if they can look at those spoilers without, well, spoil themselves. ;) ). I'll leave you with that little drawing, in order for you to remind that :

i-DwTVMBd-L.jpg

P.P.S. : Direwolves are badass.

I have to say I like the show - planning to read the books in the near future :)

Funny thing though:

What Dawadji defines as a major theme for a franchise, for Williams only is a small transitional motif :D

02:49! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9ZHGRVCjY

To be fair, these string lines are not Djawadis theme. They just acompany the title theme.

Wait with the books till the first season finishes. So you can experience all the cliffhangers and gamechangers purely in the show.

Then you will have the in depth experience with the books afterwards and you prevent disappointements about changes.

For example i didn't know LOTR in 2001 and when i saw Fellowship in the cinema i really thought Gandalf died. This moment therefore was far more poignant than if i had read the books before.

And i also didn't know about all the stuff PJ changed ;)

OK, Episode 3 done. I'm back on track.

Now that the characters have arrived at King's Landing, I can really feel things are going to move faster from now on. We finally get a glimpse at the Iron Throne (well, we already had seen it through various posters, but still) and we learn more about the history of the world of Westeros, which I liked so far.

Loved the scene between Ned and Jaime (spoiler for the upcoming episodes)

(can't wait for the duel between the two!)

Daenerys' storyline still uninteresting... There was nothing happening there really. One good thing, though :(Spoiler for the episode)

It was great to see Viserys get his ass kicked

To the Wall, we finally go back talking about the White Walkers (I was disappointed there were not even mentioned in the previous episode). And now that Benjen is going beyond the Wall, I think it is obvious he won't be back...

I hope we see more of that Syrio guy in next episodes. I think I'm gonna like him !

I'll leave you with another clip from Episode 4 :

P.S. : Not enough direwolves this time ! Where's Jon's direwolf ?

Maybe ensemble shows aren't for me (I can't remember the names of 20 characters and their motivations), nor medieval shows, but I'm 40 mins into the first episode and I'm bored, frankly. I don't think this show is for me :P

And they need to stop hiring RCP guys for these shows. The synth score really cheapened it for me.

Maybe ensemble shows aren't for me (I can't remember the names of 20 characters and their motivations)

Aren't you a fan of LOST ? There are more than 20 characters in this show. So that's probably not the reason why you don't like GoT.

And they need to stop hiring RCP guys for these shows. The synth score really cheapened it for me.

Agreed.

I'm a big fan of Lost, but the difference is that the characters were introduced gradually, episode by episode, and it became clear that the flashbacks were building the character, and not something we had to remember for the story.

I think my problem with GoT is that I don't like ambiguity as far as whether a particular scene is important to the plot, or just something the writers threw in for the character. Entire scenes seem to go by when nothing much happens.

There have also been similarities drawn with The Wire, a show I find hard to watch due to the accents and the fact that David Simon intentionally made plot points very intricate.

If it gives an idea of the sort of thing I like, we're loving The Event and House these days.

I can definitely relate, Richard. I was having massive difficulty remembering who was who at first. (Not only did LOST introduce the characters gradually, but it made them all very distinct in their appearance AND character, and there weren't complex alliances and feuds and whatnot to learn right off the bat.) But it does get easier. After a few episodes, I'm feeling like I have a much better handle on who everyone is. It starts to make sense. You might want to keep giving it a shot, like I am. Give it the benefit of the doubt, simply because so many people agree that it gets really, really good before long. [shrug]

I can definitely relate, Richard. I was having massive difficulty remembering who was who at first.

I can understand that. Especially with a story that takes place in a fantasy world, with names like Daenerys, Viserys, Baratheon and stuff (although there are a lot more common names than some fantasies (Ned, Jon, Jaime, Bob...))

(Not only did LOST introduce the characters gradually, but it made them all very distinct in their appearance AND character, and there weren't complex alliances and feuds and whatnot to learn right off the bat.).

From what I understood, it's going to get worse. :P There's gonna be lots of betrayals, new alliances, etc...

From what I understood, it's going to get worse. :P There's gonna be lots of betrayals, new alliances, etc...

Haha, I believe it. Easier to handle if you've got a reasonably good sense of who the characters are in the beginning, though, and I'm happy to say that that's starting to make more sense to me.