GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

The writing's low grade now though init. Functional.

I was thinking last night, the cut-away from Tyrion and Cersei just as the conversation was about to become complicated and deeply nuanced. That was simply beyond the skill ceiling of these writers, so they didn't attempt to take it on.

Which made me think about Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould. The same scene would have been their bread and butter, and it would have been supremely well done.

That Cersie/Tyrian scene was probably the most meat we've gotten all season in terms of writing, and even that was cut short.

The writers have really taken a step back this year.

I think the big twist they're holding back for next year is Bronn finally coming out of the closet and declaring his undying love for Jamie. I've never heard a "straight" guy talk about cock so much as he does.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I liked the scene where the Hound said "Fuck off" to someone, because it was the umpteenth time he did that. Great writing there. That was really funny, and a clever bit of dialogue.

People still enjoy it and at least it's consistent characterisation. I prefer when he uses the word cunt but I'm not complaining!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I liked the scene where the Hound said "Fuck off" to someone, because it was the umpteenth time he did that. Great writing there. That was really funny, and a clever bit of dialogue.

Indeed!

Can someone overdub the music from Coronation of Silver and Gold from RotK when the forces of Mordor move through Minas Morgul, over the ending scene with the Night King and the dead breaking the wall?

It's very disappointing that there was no building on the promise of "Light of the Seven."  That there was not even another standout musical sequence in the season.  Although I must admit that I quite enjoy the use of "Light of the Seven" as the motif to represent Cersei's descent into isolation and madness (which I think will only be more and more pronounced next season now that Jaime is gone).

Was that related to the Sparrows subplot? In retrospect I definitely think they should have bypassed all of that crap now, it's completely redundant. Cersei remains exactly the same character as she was before her ordeal at their hands, she didn't grow or change at all. They'd have been better off using the time to better flesh out the more pivotal beats in the story.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That's one thing that can be said about it, yes.

"Djawadi's score for Game of Thrones uses varying pitch and rhythm to organize sound that listeners can hear!" raves Disco Stu of JWFan.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Was that related to the Sparrows subplot? In retrospect I definitely think they should have bypassed all of that crap now, it's completely redundant. Cersei remains exactly the same character as she was before her ordeal at their hands, she didn't grow or change at all. They'd have been better off using the time to better flesh out the more pivotal beats in the story.

Cersei's like the kid in school who throws a hissy fit for being made to work with her classmates but won't apologise or make amends to the others for being a complete bitch.

I was a bit disappointed that they went with a garish horror style of music for the final scene. I think it was suited to something more somber and melancholy. (Not the actual destruction of the Wall, of course, but the last moments where the dead finally pour in to the Seven Kingdoms).

Just now, Glóin the Dark said:

I was a bit disappointed that they went with a garish horror style of music for the final scene. I think it was suited to something more somber and melancholy. (Not the actual destruction of the Wall, of course, but the last moments where the dead finally pour in to the Seven Kingdoms).

And the music he went with is sooooo booooring and cliched, Djawadi showing his worst RCP tendencies.  Destined to have a long life on those Youtube "EPIC SOUNDTRACK MUSIC" playlists.

21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, to be fair, that can be said about everything revolving around Cersei: nothing that happened to her changed her (well, I guess she grew angrier with each of her children's death, but that's it). She's just a one-note character. That's why I find her boring and wish they'd kill her already.

I disagree. I think it's easy to talk down such readily accessible characterisation, but it takes skill and charisma to portray vindictive hatred of the magnitude shown by her character, and I think Lena Headey's continued prominence in the story is one of the best things about the TV adaptation.

Yes, but it comes off in GoT as "Bad Guy MusicTM" and not an unrelenting force that has musically been developed around figures of other musical identities to form a narrative meshwork!

And I'm sure it was pure coincidence that the theme heavily featured a three-note motif [C# C A] that's a distinctive part of Shore's "Mordor" music!

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"Djawadi's score for Game of Thrones uses varying pitch and rhythm to organize sound that listeners can hear!" raves Disco Stu of JWFan.

There's a couple of cues on the OST that I like but it's slim pickings! 

Most of the music for the show is either Djawadi or the producers saying "We need sad music, okay I'll play the main theme in a minor and there you have it!" The leitmotivic development never extends further than playing a theme in counterpoint once, or emoting it for whatever circumstance; the themes don't develop, they reoccur.

Whenever I hear friends or people on social media discuss how brilliant the music is for GoT it seems all they mention is how cool Light of the Seven is or how catchy the main titles are. 

I keep waiting for the music that was featured so prominently in Seasons 2 and 3 and the DVD menus to return. I don't remember whose theme it was, maybe Stannis, maybe Tywin, maybe Bolton, but it was loud and dramatic and now it's gone, likely because those characters are gone. 

Considering how completely shite the score has by and large been for this thing, it's still managed to generate plenty of pages worth of pointless complaint and continues to do so. It is what it is, as they say, and I don't pay it any attention when I watch. Debating the trashy music won't make it any better.

10 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

it's perfectly possible that Tyrion did realise that he was being played, and it's perfectly possible that he was genuinely deceived (there's more than one reason why the latter scenario doesn't necessarily make his character less smart than audience); most likely of all is that he didn't trust her completely but thought there was a decent chance of her being sensible given the very good case Tyrion and his colleagues had just presented in the Dragonpit. 

It DOES make him less smart than the audience though, if he fell for it!  .  We all sat there and watched the scene and realized "oh, Cersei WANTED Tyrion to find out she's pregnant without directly telling him, making him think he cleverly figured it out".  If Tyrion didn't, that's dissapointing.  If Tyrion DID figure out, we weren't given any indication... BUT, that basically applies he walked back to the dragon pit and let Cersei tell everyone she'd send her armies North, when he knew she wouldn't, and still hasn't told Dany so.  That could explain the scene with him peeving on her room.

What I was asking was what sort of thing (regarding the Tyrion/Cersei conversation) people suspect has been concealed from us?

I know, that's what I'm asking too!  I don't have an answer, I was suggesting we put our heads together and discuss possibilities.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I was thinking last night, the cut-away from Tyrion and Cersei just as the conversation was about to become complicated and deeply nuanced. That was simply beyond the skill ceiling of these writers, so they didn't attempt to take it on.

Frankly, I think it's possible you're 100% right about that.

Which made me think about Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould. The same scene would have been their bread and butter, and it would have been supremely well done.

The Saul/Chuck relationship over 30 episodes is radically more nuanced, sad, and effective than the Tyrion/Cersei relationship over 67 episodes, that's for sure!

Just now, Quintus said:

I think it's quite common for people to mistake pragmatism with grumpiness. 

Maybe it's quite common for grumpy people to think they're being pragmatic?

I blame the writing for that. She was so much more intriguing in the earlier seasons. And I was fascinated to see what direction her character would go after her Walk of Shame.

It's why I really enjoyed her scene with Tyrian in this finale, because it's been a long time since we've seen Headey given a substantial scene where she doesn't just have to rely on her mastered resting bitch face.

Interesting bit of speculation regarding the Golden Company in season 8 that I'll put in spoiler tags because it seems so plausible

Spoiler

But here’s where book readers might have a little bit of insider information. In the books, the Golden Company is an elite fighting squad who have never broken a vow—until the latest George R.R. Martin book. In it, they abandoned one job in order to back whichever Targaryen heir they could find. The Golden Company was founded by a Blackfyre (a family line that springs from a Targaryen bastard), and in the books, the members of the Golden Company (made up of Westerosi exiles) long more than anything to come home. “A brotherhood of exiles and the sons of exiles, united by the dream of Bittersteel. It’s home they want, as much as gold,” one character says. And their Blackfyre/Targaryen family pride is a huge story point: “Some contracts are writ in ink, and some in blood. I say no more,” Magister Illyrio tells Tyrion of his ability to convince the Golden Company to fall in with the Targaryen cause.

Okay: but with six episodes left, is the HBO show really likely to go deep on the history and loyalties of a mercenary company that show watchers have barely heard of? No. But there is the tantalizing possibility (floated by some) that Dany’s old mercenary friend stranded in Meereen, old Daario Naharis, will return in order to lead the Golden Company and orchestrate a last-minute betrayal of Cersei. In other words, Cersei plans to buy the Company and ferry them home, but it might be Daenerys or Jon who gets their loyalty in the end.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/game-of-thrones-season-8-predictions

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Cersei talks to someone she despises, she groans, she moans, she tells them to go fuck themselves, rinse, repeat...

Girl after me own heart...

59 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

For @Arpy: The Breach Of The Deeping Wall (or Minas Morghûlis)!

P.S.: I moved a few shots around in a part of the video, as I wanted one particular moment of the cue to sync up with one particular shot (because I thought they worked really well together). Can you guys guess which one it is?

Its kinda sad how much better that was.