GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Oh yes. They started going their own way with characters even before they ran out of books.

Spoiler

Sansa never married or was repeatedly raped by Ramsey for example. That was a completely different character who didnt even feature on the show.

Especially when the showrunners explicitly refuse the network's offer for more episodes and a bigger budget because they want to horribly rush it and sod off.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

which just goes to show that people who think TV is a better medium than cinema for adapting books, simply because you can get more on the screen, are really fooling themselves.

Eh, so you're taking the blame aimed at pair of bad writers and reappropriating it instead to an entire medium just to make some sort of convoluted point or principle you have? Get out of it!

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

so you're taking the blame aimed at pair of bad writers and reappropriating it instead to an entire medium

Not at all.

Its just an observation about the series as a whole, which has naught to do with the success (or lack thereof) of the series' final seasons, which by the way I personally would attribute more to rushing the story than to fidelty to Martin's story.

Haste is the deathbed of story.

Seasons 1-4 were a pretty straightforward adaptation of Books 1-3 that didn't change or drop anything too major

Seasons 5-6 were a streamlined adaptation of Books 4&5 that carved out a huge amount of material and changed a huge amount of other material and took many characters well beyond where they were by the end of Books 4/5

Seasons 7-8 were inventions by Benioff & Weiss that *supposedly* partially follow a story outline GRRM told them about what would happen after Book 5, but with Book 5 being published in 2011 there's a decent chance GRRM has changed his minds about some things he told him a decade ago while writing Book 6, not to mention they could have always departed from what he told them he was gonna do anyway.

Surely some things from the later seasons are gonna happen in the books, like Jon being Rhaegar & Lyanna's kid, Hodor's origin story, Stannis dying outside Winterfell, etc, but the whole end game could really be radically different.  

There's also a pretty good chance he'll simply pass away before actually finishing another book or, perhaps after Book 6 is published but before Book 7 ever is.

11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Not at all.

Its just an observation about the series as a whole, which has naught to do with the success (or lack thereof) of the series' final seasons, which by the way I personally would attribute more to rushing the story than to fidelty to Martin's story.

Haste is the deathbed of story.

You can't polish a turd, as they say. GoT was doomed from day one.

Book 6 and 7 are absolutely and utterly disposable. Honestly Martin has ZERO artistic reasons to write them.

But he will try to write them, and if he dies the estate will hire someone and say they will finish the books based on Martin's notes.

Because if the Book 6 and 7 have any purpose at all, it is to line up the vaults of the Martin estate with more gold bars. That's it.

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Book 6 and 7 are absolutely and utterly disposable. Honestly Martin has ZERO artistic reasons to write them.

But he will try to write them, and if he dies the estate will hire someone and say they will finish the books based on Martin's notes.

Because if the Book 6 and 7 have any purpose at all, it is to line up the vaults of the Martin estate with more gold bars. That's it.

Which rather reminded me of this:

Kuvahaun tulos haulle peter jackson money fort

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If Martin was writing purely for money he would have churned out the last 2 books while the show was still on the air.

True. 

But he now has so many projects, it will take forever to finish them all. And besides he churns stuff out constantly. There was a 1000 page book about the history of the Targaryen family called Fire & Blood last year and Martin revealed his intent to publish the history in two volumes as the material had grown too large. So no wonder he can't finish the magnum opus when he is doing everything at the same time.

I am still wondering what the page count of the two last Ice & Fire novels will be. He has been at them for about 10 or 11 years now.

49 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If Martin was writing purely for money he would have churned out the last 2 books while the show was still on the air.

I did not attribute the greed to him but to his estate. Everyone knows that not publishing the last 2 books would be leaving money on the table. And by God, someone somewhere is going to make sure they are published whether Martin is dead or alive.

Yeah but I bet demand will have fallen off to a certain degree, now that the TV crowd have had an ending. Not to mention the disenchantment from the fiction/franchise that will have followed.

Sure, but the show also introduced the books to new readers who became far more interested in how the literary version would progress rather than the show. Not unlike how PJ's film introduced a whole new generation of readers to a couple of books written decades earlier.

Also, I think HBO is still going forward with the prequel series.

There are 3 or 4 major religions on the show and you should google it if you want to know more, it's too complicated for anyone here to type out an explanation for you

Especially in the first three seasons or so, I could have used a theme song with a bunch of clips of the brunette white guys, along with text showing their names and affiliations.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Yeah but I bet demand will have fallen off to a certain degree, now that the TV crowd have had an ending. Not to mention the disenchantment from the fiction/franchise that will have followed.

I think that could maybe even have a positive effect on book sales. if the marketing can subtly but sufficiently distance itself from the show saying - fans, you didn't like the last 2 seasons, well here is the real version of what happened from the mind that brought you it all. 

And people who are feeling a bit of withdrawal can then get their GOT fix from the original tap.

7 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

What religions do they follow on this show? I hear some of them talking about "the gods", but others are monotheistic and express belief in just "one God". Are they Christians? Or something?

I’s fantasy; they worship a hodge-podge of fictional religions.

In Westeros

In the South they worship the New Gods, a.k.a. the Seven Who Are One (modeled after Catholicism and the Trinity)

In the North they worship the Old Gods, i.e., the trees with the faces (think druids)

In the Iron islands they worship the Drowned God (Cthulhu, obviously) - this is barely mentioned in the show, IIRC

In the East

There’s the religion of R’hllor, Lord of Light, who opposes a god of darkness

There’s the religion of the Many-Faced God, a god of death who is worshiped by a bunch of assassins

And many more.

The “one God” people are talking about is R’hllor, even though that religion is actually dualistic.

People swearing by “the gods” are usually talking about the Seven, even though that religion is actually monotheistic.