GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

That is the typical reaction after seeing episode 9. It's a HUGE SHOCKER and i read it 3 years ago and immediately afterwards i also got very angry.

It takes a little time to bear this game changer

And now I'll leave on this: This show is The Real Deal. It's got the magic. The dark, cruel, sinister; bold, clever, powerful sort of magic.

I'm gonna struggle in the chasm between seasons.

I don't watch many tv serials for this very reason.

Sorry if your enjoyment of the series was completely spoiled by our discussion. I will try to refrain myself from discussing anything in this thread before you announce that it is safe.

Or I'll have to start discussing the show and books unders spoiler tags from now on so I won't hurt anybody's sensitivities to plot and minutiae revelations of already aired episodes. What fun!

See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Ooo, ooo, I've got to go to all the effort of wrapping spoilersome details in spoiler tags, ooo the hardship. Ooo, the discussion is ruined by this selfless act, boo hoo.

Spoiler tags are the norm elsewhere, so tell me what makes this thread different?

See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Ooo, ooo, I've got to go to all the effort of wrapping spoilersome details in spoiler tags, ooo the hardship. Ooo, the discussion is ruined by this selfless act, boo hoo.

Spoiler tags are the norm elsewhere, so tell me what makes this thread different?

But do you expect us to wait for you to watch every episode before discussing them here even though they have already aired?

And no it is not so difficult to put those spoiler tags on, it is more about what do I tag, meaning what do most here find offensive to their experience of the series. What is a major spoiler and what is not? Anything beyond what is said and happens in the show?

I know you are going to say "Use your common sense!" but some are more sensitive even to small things, so do I wrap everything beyond few general comments into the spoiler tags?

And it's not like we discussed something major as what happened at the end of the 9th episode, nor have revealed how the first season will end based on the novels.

Why not just begin the more sensitive posts with a *Spoilers* heading? That way my eyes will be instantly averted elsewhere?

You know, it's normal forum etiquette to be considerate to those who may not have seen the show/movie/read the book. Imagine going into the Last Film I Watched thread a few years ago and reading, "the part where Bruce turned out to be dead at end was a shocker!"

Importance or the magnitude of spoilers are subjective, so yeah, a bit of common sense is all that's needed.

Better late than never. I just got around to the first episode (and consequently avoided all previous 6 pages of this thread).

I thought it was promising, but there were a LITTLE too many characters introduced over a short amount of time. But I guess that's inevitable with such a furnished universe. Mind you, I've not read the books and hadn't even heard about them untill they started promoting this show.

I liked Djawadi's main title music, but thought the rest of the score was so-so. I get what they want to do, and I think that's the right choice over a more classically oriented Stephen Warbeck sound, but I wish they had hired one of the other, more talented RC interns instead.

If the episode has already aired, spoiler tags are not needed for discussion of what happened in the episode. That is this board's policy. If you are afraid of being spoiled about already aired episodes, why read this thread until you've caught up?

If you are discussing ANYTHING shown in the preview for the next episode included at the end of the current episode, spoiler tags should be used.

If you are discussing ANYTHING from the books that haven't been incorporated / explained in the show yet, spoiler tags should be used.

Be nice and respectful to each other, guys.

Jason, I have completely "caught up", actually. The spoilersome material made reference to events which happen in future books yet to be filmed. If some folk here think it's fair and reasonable to discuss that stuff openly, then fuck it, this'll be just another thread to ignore.

(Yeah, I put spoiler tags, because I don't want you to go berserk again!!) You talk about common sense. Well, mine told me spoiler tags were not needed for that particular bit (maybe I should buy a new common sense, though).

I understand your anger, but I think you're a wise guy, Englishman. I'm sure you'll be able to get past that and we'll all get along and live happily ever after. Or you could just post another "FUCK YOU". ;)

Forget about it, it's in the past. My rant is yesterday's business. Uncouth sweariness aside, it was never personal.

Its better to get the thread back on track. A place to discuss how freakin' awesome Game of Thrones is.

Its better to get the thread back on track. A place to discuss how freakin' awesome Game of Thrones is.

Yeap. Exactly! :thumbup:

Jason, I have completely "caught up", actually. The spoilersome material made reference to events which happen in future books yet to be filmed. If some folk here think it's fair and reasonable to discuss that stuff openly, then fuck it, this'll be just another thread to ignore.

If you are discussing ANYTHING from the books that haven't been incorporated / explained in the show yet, spoiler tags should be used.

Looks like the GoT soundtrack is available on iTunes as of yesterday, but the CD release was pushed to June 28. Anyone downloaded it and had a listen? Curious as to how it sounds on its own.

Finally had some free time at my main computer. Purchased the soundtrack. Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen sooner rather than later. Will see how it sounds.

Digital booklet kinda crappy. To be expected, though, sadly.

Digital booklet kinda crappy.

Come on ! I love the otes from Djawadi:

"When I first started to work on Game Of Thrones, we quickly decided with the producers that to tackle such a rich universe, we would need to create lots of themes, colourful orchestrations and a great variety of music. But then we thought "Oh crap, let's just make some noise". Good times!"

Yours friendly, Djawadi

:lol:

Let's seriously hope they do. This series deserves interesting, colorful, epic and most of all memorable music to go with it.

Apparently it's only a tiny minority (mainly here) that thinks the music is shite, so I'd be very surprised if they replaced the composer.

One can still dream.

This show has top notch everything and then they hire a RCP clone with a zero scoring budget. Or so it would sound judging by the soundtrack album. I have not heard a soundtrack sounding this cheap since well... ever. I mean you can hear classier music in most videogames. Shame on HBO for neglecting the music!

Wow. Just saw episode 9. Definitely not happy with how it ended. Sean Bean was one of my favorite parts of the show (to my surprise).

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty good episode. They've certainly done a masterful job of making Tyrion into a sympathetic character, despite being technically aligned with a side we're not rooting for. Not having read the books, I'm interested to see what they do with his character. Khal Drogo's seemingly imminent death could have some big ramifications for that blond chick, too. I'm actually rather looking forward to the season finale now...I know it won't tie up a lot of loose ends or anything, but it'll be cool to see how this first season ends.

By the way, I actually had some somewhat positive reactions to the music in this episode. This is the first time I can recall that the main theme has been used in the score for the show itself. I don't particularly love that theme or anything, but I've heard it enough times now to really associate it with the show. There are some emotional associations there, so finally hearing it in the context of the show itself was somehow a bit moving. Not sure exactly how to explain it, but I'm glad they haven't been using the theme all along, because that would have dramatically reduced the impact of the music in this episode.

But yeah, other than that, the music is still crap. :P

It's funny: the more I read your posts, the more you seem just like your namesake. No shit!

As for the ending of episode nine: I think it's an instant classic in modern television. I was GUTTED.

This show has top notch everything and then they hire a RCP clone with a zero scoring budget. Or so it would sound judging by the soundtrack album. I have not heard a soundtrack sounding this cheap since well... ever. I mean you can hear classier music in most videogames. Shame on HBO for neglecting the music!

Oh, yeah !

Can you feel the beat?

Damn! I should have said modern videogames. :P

Funky 16bit stuff though :up: .

Better than Djawadi's original. (Do I like to bash this guy or what?)

But I think I am getting past the disappointment now.

*end of Ramin Djawadi temper-tantrum*

Modern video game music blows a lot of modern movie music out of the water.

In fact the past couple of years, I've gotten more out of the former than I have the latter.

Modern video game music blows a lot of modern movie music out of the water.

In fact the past couple of years, I've gotten more out of the former than I have the latter.

The game scores of today are like the film scores of the yester year. Usually expressive, thematic, bold and big and colorful. I hope the trend continues and they do not fall into the rut of modern sound designy film scores.

I am honoring my promise here Bloodboal! You wanted to be the messenger! Now bear the burden of linking us those preview clips!

And a few things regarding your post:

I agree that the war would be more tangible if the battles were shown and perhaps more effective. But on the other hand in the novels Martin does it almost exactly the same. You read about the battles but hardly any of the point-of-view characters enter them in active way, so there are no detailed description of blood and gore from their perspective, no deadly fighting and sword waving, at least most of the time. The characters may discuss the battle lines and who did what in battle and how this and this line broke or held but there are no 10 page battle array and manouevering stories. In this regard the series is very loyal to the novels, not to mention safe hundreds of thousands of dollars when they do not have to stage them with 40 000 extras. But it would be nice to see even a token amount of sword clashing to make the war more real. Btw in the novel Tyrion actually rode into battle and was not just knocked out by a mountain tribesman. But I understand that they do not have money for everything in this show and battles eat a lot of it in special effects and man power.

The capturing of Jamie was in the novel told through the eyes of Cately Stark so there was not much battle but voices in the dark woods as the men clashed in the distance. Jamie was captured more or less in the same way as he is in the series.

The Dothraki do ride a lot, don't they. But it is part of Daenerys' story, hardship and toil. I think you will be pleased by the way the first season ends.

I have to say that the cast is just perfect for their roles, all of them. Varys, Littlefinger, Pycelle and all the main cast. Even though not all are as close to the book descriptions in physical appearance as they could be, they make up for it in capturing the essence of these characters so well and making them living and breathing human beings, lifting the words off the page and making them glow. I also love the fact that the cast is not just full of young and sexy people but there are even rugged and worn, older and experienced faces amoung the minor and major character roles, providing gravitas and reality to the proceedings.

Wow. Very good work Blooadboal. And it really shows what a good score could do to elevate this series and give it another dramatic nudge.

Where is the sword fight piece from?

Well done on the video.

I almost think the music used for the rescoring is almost too "important" for the scene. I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but it almost feels too much like "climactic battle!" music, which the scene really isn't. I think if I had no context for the scene, if I had no idea what was going on in terms of the TV series or the book, I'd probably have no problem with it at all, but knowing what I know, the music feels to big for the scene.

But again, the rescoring was done well. :)

Your video reminded me of something I did some years ago, I synced up a track from the soundtrack of the Star Trek episode Amok Time (the classic fight music as demonstrated in The Cable Guy) to the video of the part in Gladiator where Maximus has a big fight in one of the gladiator pits before he goes to Rome. It synced up almost perfectly, from the quieter moment when they're in the cage or whatever it is waiting to be unleashed into the pit, up to the end with Maximus victorious as the music settles down again. I wish I still had that but it was a very crude thing, on VHS with audio in one channel from the DVD and audio in the other channel from the Star Trek CD. I'm still amazed it worked as well as it did. :)

Poor Eddard Stark. Too honorable to live. I have to admit I was first shocked when I read the novel and found out he died but in the end I also had to admit he made some rookie mistakes in the game of thrones and paid dearly for them.

Martin achieves a fresh way of shaking up the time worn institution of "good guys" VS "bad guys" in his novels by letting the "bad guys", who are more clever by far than the "good guys", to actually win, just as they deserve to as they put a lot more effort into being scheming and manipulative than the honorable and blind-to-the-evils-of-the-world goody two-shoes. It is a sad truth that you can't win by just being a good guy when others do not play equally fair. You can't necessarily say it is right and just that the bad guys win but when a main character practically shoots himself in the foot at every turn you can't say you didn't see that coming even if he didn't. And somehow the injustice of it all stings all the more acridly when the main character is so honest and pure and honorable.