Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

I always thought the tie was an odd choice, and definitely a liability for someone prone to getting into fist fights and being in close proximity to plane propellors & trap doors.

On 27/10/2016 at 9:22 AM, crumbs said:

The way his character, and violence in general, was neutered in KOTCS is an abomination. RLM's Plinkett review really opened my eyes about how cynically produced the fourth film was, as if Spielberg was forced to take notes from focus groups about making the film as broadly appealing to families as possible. No gunshots, no blood, nobody killed by Indy (can't have him shoot anyone in this day and age) except that lame blowdart. The on-screen violence resembled a Loonie Tunes cartoon with laughably bad CGI deaths like the rocket sled fire, the nuke blowing up the car or Ivana turning into fairy dust.

Give me heads exploding, tanks blowing up with bodies flying everywhere, impalements through the chest with meat kebabs, hearts being ripped out of chests, men being sacrificed in rivers of lava, men being sucked into plane propellers and gigantic stone crushing machines, complete with blood spraying everywhere!

The one death in KOTCS that maybe had something of the feel of the other 3 movies was the big Russkie who got carried off and pulled underground by the army ants (and the preceding fight was one of the few bits of KOTCS that felt properly 'Indy').   

On 10/27/2016 at 1:32 PM, Selina Kyle said:

The only thing that might work for me is a Rocketeer crossover. And I don't mean some reboot version with a black chick playing The Rocketeer, I mean the real Rocketeer. Cliff Secord portrayed by Bill Campbell. They both fought Nazis in a 1930s setting, they both had spectacular scores and they're now both owned by Disney. It's a no-brainer.

Campbell has aged a lot better than Ford has, but that's a cool idea.

Doubt Lucasfilm, Spielberg and Koepp would go for it, though. :unsure:

• 5 months later...

I stumbled across this today:

http://www.starwarsjunk.net/indy5.html

I have absolutely no idea whether the source is at all credible, but it's fun to read this plot setup anyway while we wait for concrete news.

Supposedly the title may be "Indiana Jones and the Weapon of a God," and this is one of three general pitches being considered. 

Take it as a fan rumor for now, really. 

The 'a' is way too awkward for this to be considered plausible. Then again, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones didn't exactly roll off the tongue, either. 

Could be something in it ... setting half of it in the 20s would address the issue of Ford now being too old to play the action hero for the entire 2 hour running time.  

Wonder who would play young Indy?      

On 10/29/2016 at 1:23 AM, Selina Kyle said:

It would be nice if David Koepp were to die under mysterious circumstances.

He doesn't deserve to die, but maybe somebody could like....break his wrists. Just for a little while. He'd get better, Mrs. Koepp!

That story starts off like fan-fiction but I don't mind the direction.

If that line about Spielberg wanting to stay grounded in realism is true, at least he understands partly why KOTCS was a misstep.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucasfilm just extended the release date to 2020.

"The Walt Disney Company and Lucasfilm announced today two major upcoming release dates.

Star Wars: Episode IX is now set for release on May 24, 2019. Directed by Colin Trevorrow, the film will close out the third Star Wars trilogy.

In addition, the fifth chapter of the Indiana Jones series is now confirmed for a July 10, 2020 release. Both Steven Spielberg, director of every Indiana Jones film, and star Harrison Ford will return."

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Ford will be 77 by then, then. They must hopefully be planning on an as yet unannounced 'in his prime' Indy adventure, using state-of-the-art de-ageing techniques. I'd be sold on it as opposed to pensioner shenanigans, so fingers crossed. 

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

You really don't like older people, do you, Quintus? ;)

Not when they're swinging around, leaping onto moving vehicles and fighting men 30 years younger than their age, I do struggle with it, yes. It breaks my suspension of disbelief. 

Or they could develop Indys age into the story to fit the premise and make it work. I suppose that could be interesting but I'm more interested in the McGuffin this time than Indy himself.

I agree with the many who've said that the MacGuffin should be a Chinese artifact and most of the adventure should be in China.  It could be a cool story and what with Hollywood going hard after Chinese box office money, makes business sense too.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

So now that there's an extra year, I wonder if Spielberg is gonna try and squeeze in another movie for 2019. Like go back to Edgardo Mortara, or whatever else.

Probably that dreadful JLaw Iraq war movie.  

It's what I want. Why do actors need to play all these different characters? I don't want Star-Lord to pretend he's Indiana Jones.