Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Scarily enough, Koepp says the script has been finished for months and he's not working on it anymore.

I'm praying someone else script doctored it because Koepp just sucks (and clearly doesn't understand the character at all, considering how passive Indy was in KOTCS).

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27 January 2018 at 1:35 PM, crumbs said:

I'm praying someone else script doctored it because Koepp just sucks (and clearly doesn't understand the character at all, considering how passive Indy was in KOTCS).

Perhaps Indy has mellowed with age.

I won't be surprised if this will turn out as a remake of The Last Crusade (as they already tried to do with Crystal Skull), but this time with a young girl who will get the Fedora at the end of the film.

13 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I won't be surprised if this will turn out as a remake of The Last Crusade (as they already tried to do with Crystal Skull), but this time with a young girl who will get the Fedora at the end of the film.

...played by Daisy Ridley. :)

No, the young girl will be Alicia Vikander, so the whole thing turns out to be a prequel to the new Tomb Raider!

Introducing a female lead who will eventually take the main role as archaeologist/adventurer is the only way to justify a franchise relaunch, of course from the perspective of the current owners. You cannot substitute Ford with another male, as the comparison will always be discouraging and in the end detrimental to the property. The character of Indiana Jones is tied too much with his actor. So creating a brand new female version of the character looks consistent with this aspect and it also fits in the current Hollywood mindset of gender equality and so on.

We can try already to write a synopsis of the film:

After a prologue set 20 or 30 years earlier (with a digitally de-aged Ford), the movie fast forward to 1968. Indiana Jones is now a 70-years old professor. He is retired from worldwide scavenging/globetrotting after wife Marion demanded to stop, threatening him to divorce ("You're getting old, Jones! You're a married man! Get over it!"). The new management of the University where he still teaches ask him to gently retire, as new programs and methods are being rolled out and he is now seen as "out of fashion". Professor Jones doesn't like the idea and wants to oppose, he still feels he has a lot to teach to new students. To make things worse, the relationship with his son Mutt has fell apart and the son broke ties with his dad. Enter the 30-something woman. She's a former pupil of him and she's trying to make her way into academia, but she finds lots of opposition from an all-male environment. She wants to get Indiana's tenure at the University, but she's conflicted, she doesn't want to step over him. She's very tied to his former Professor, who was more than a teacher for her. He always has been a father figure and a mentor. Indiana always had a soft spot for her, but also scolded her many times to avoid any kind of scavenging around the world. She's a sucker for adventure of course and already went through some adventures of her own. She knows Indiana is secretly working on a project to find [insert MacGuffin] and she wants to push him for one last adventure with her. Indy doesn't agree, saying his days of adventure are over. Out of the blue and without telling anyone, Indiana decides to embark for his quest for the MacGuffin, as old pal Sallah gave him some important clues that the artefact could be found somewhere far away. But things get bad--Indy gets kidnapped by an old adversary that is now working for a secret organisation with lot of funds (the world is changed, now the bad guys don't have to be Nazis or Commies, but likely someone tied with some big secret corporation). He wants to use Indy's clue to get the artefact and get all the fortune and glory for himself and his company. Somehow, the girl discovers where Indy is and decides to go after him. 

Well, after writing this, I don't want to continue and surely I don't want to see such a movie, LOL. But I think I'm not too far from what it's gonna be. 

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Now is the time for an Indiana Jones and Lara Croft crossover movie. The world is waiting for another new franchise, an 'Archeology Universe' series. Strike while the iron is hot! 

With Noah Wyle's Librarian, Michael Douglas from Romancing the Stone, and Brendan Fraser and the British guy from The Mummy joining the ranks!

We were basically fucked when Spielberg inconceiveably hired Koepp to write the script... solo.

Like, as if the flat humour, convoluted plotting and completely passive writing of Indiana Jones wasn't ringing any alarm bells after KOTCS. Fuck me.

• 1 month later...

Starts shooting April next year in the UK.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/fifth-indiana-jones-to-film-april-2019/

Well, that's one lesson learned from KOTCS -- not just shooting the entire movie in America! Really doesn't work for a globetrotting adventure movie spanning the globe.

The UK's proximity to the rest of Europe/Africa gives me hope they'll be filming in more real locations this time, rather than faking everything in a backlot/soundstage. You just can't replicate locations like the Indian village, Cairo digsite or Venice streets in Hollywood.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Starts shooting April next year in the UK.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/fifth-indiana-jones-to-film-april-2019/

Well, that's one lesson learned from KOTCS -- not just shooting the entire movie in America! Really doesn't work for a globetrotting adventure movie spanning the globe.

The UK's proximity to the rest of Europe/Africa gives me hope they'll be filming in more real locations this time, rather than faking everything in a backlot/soundstage. You just can't replicate locations like the Indian village, Cairo digsite or Venice streets in Hollywood.

Let me know when they actually begin filming before we get excited again...