Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

An April shoot should mean filming wrap around July/August, first cut around September. I'd expect Williams to finish IX around October, given the late filming  schedule of that film (relative to TLJ).

So hopefully no scheduling conflicts there, unless he's just exhausted after finishing IX...

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

People wouldn't be posting in this thread for 40 pages if they weren't intrigued to at least some degree. ;)

I've posted a lot in the TLJ threads and I still haven't seen it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/04/2018 at 8:40 AM, Cerebral Cortex said:

He also says the movie he hasn't yet made will be really good!

I want to believe him, but even me at my most positive would think that is a bit premature...

He said Indy 4 had the best script since Raiders, as well. Hopefully he understands the weight of "righting the wrong" with this one. He'd know the fan reaction to KOTCS was scathing and surely he understands the reasons why.

I hope he goes ahead with his original plan for KOTCS (before Lucas talked him out of it) and using old-fashioned techniques rather than CGI for the visual effects.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He said Indy 4 had the best script since Raiders, as well. Hopefully he understands the weight of "righting the wrong" with this one. He'd know the fan reaction to KOTCS was scathing and surely he understands the reasons why.

I hope he goes ahead with his original plan for KOTCS (before Lucas talked him out of it) and using old-fashioned techniques rather than CGI for the visual effects.

I think Lucas' major (unfortunate) contribution to Indy IV was the original premise of inter-dimensional beings (=aliens) as the mystery behind the crystal skulls which he kept coming back to and Spielberg finally relented but he wasn't excited about the idea. It is very clear from the documentaries that he filmed most of the movie with practical stunts and on built physical sets but the major detractor outside the silly Doom Town sequence and nuking of the fridge is the final third especially with the jungle chase wasn't just practical or safe enough to be shot entirely on location which necessitated the heavy CGI (and monkeys) injected into the shots.  

But so much of the jungle chase was shot legitimately, albeit in the cushy safety of Hawaii, before Lucas and ILM cartooned it to hell and back. What started as just covering up tire tracks from the camera track ended up coating the entire screen with relentless CGI foliage. The result is a blurry, cartoony mess. The sword fight atop the cars is surely the worst offender (yes, even worse than swinging with monkeys in the vines). It's even replete with a godawful fake lens flare smeared all over the frame, as if to hide the godawful CGI all over the shot.

indy-skulls-17.JPG

indy-skulls-36.JPG

What the actual fuck was Spielberg thinking when he signed off on that? If nothing else, Spielberg has always had an astute eye for poor CGI but he just didn't seem to care with KOTCS.

You're right though, watching this documentary on how much was done practically really is an indictment on... something! I'm not sure if it's the colour gradist, Kaminski asking for bloom/smoke, an ILM compositor on steroids, or Spielberg himself, but all this work just looks like a mess of over-processed digital rubbish in the final cut. The jungle-specific stuff starts at 11:00 and it's just depressing how much better everything looked BEFORE they smeared digital plants all over the frame. Ironically, they cite the reason for this as, "selling it to the audience that they're driving through a jungle, not on a road." Fail much? All they did was make it look like a Pixar movie and draw attention to the fakeness of the imagery, when it was shot in a real jungle!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is one of those movies which would be better on VHS.

It's schlocky B-movie crap. I guess they succeeded at what they were attempting then?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is one of those movies which would be better on VHS.

This is one of those movies which would be better languishing a Paramount vault, with the powers that be vowing that it would never see the light of day.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

But so much of the jungle chase was shot legitimately, albeit in the cushy safety of Hawaii, before Lucas and ILM cartooned it to hell and back. What started as just covering up tire tracks from the camera track ended up coating the entire screen with relentless CGI foliage. The result is a blurry, cartoony mess. The sword fight atop the cars is surely the worst offender (yes, even worse than swinging with monkeys in the vines). It's even replete with a godawful fake lens flare smeared all over the frame, as if to hide the godawful CGI all over the shot.

indy-skulls-17.JPG

indy-skulls-36.JPG

What the actual fuck was Spielberg thinking when he signed off on that? If nothing else, Spielberg has always had an astute eye for poor CGI but he just didn't seem to care with KOTCS.

You're right though, watching this documentary on how much was done practically really is an indictment on... something! I'm not sure if it's the colour gradist, Kaminski asking for bloom/smoke, an ILM compositor on steroids, or Spielberg himself, but all this work just looks like a mess of over-processed digital rubbish in the final cut. The jungle-specific stuff starts at 11:00 and it's just depressing how much better everything looked BEFORE they smeared digital plants all over the frame. Ironically, they cite the reason for this as, "selling it to the audience that they're driving through a jungle, not on a road." Fail much? All they did was make it look like a Pixar movie and draw attention to the fakeness of the imagery, when it was shot in a real jungle!

When the director himself says at the start of the KotCS documentary on the DVD that he really didn't want to make this movie and George Lucas basically pestered him into doing it, it doesn't have a good ring to it. :P 

Spielberg put his name on it, he was the big name director with the clout to make anything he wants, he's where the buck stopped with the movie. Spielberg is to blame for The Kingdom of the Crystal Shite, nobody else.

I feel like I’m sticking my neck out for no real good by saying this, but I enjoyed a lot of the inventiveness or neat touches  in KOTCS—Area 51, the nuclear test town, the graveyard, the man-eating ants, the way the jungle blade sliced through the jeep... yes, the alien stuff at the end was out of place and the jungle chase CGI was too obvious. But to write off the whole movie is a bit much. Especially after a decade of lather-rinse-repeat superhero shit we’ve been force-fed by MCU, I’d much sooner have Indy 5 than Avengers 6 or 7 for summer movie fun.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The entire first sequence (up to and INCLUDING the nuke/fridge moment, sorry all) was the kind of thing I wanted out of an Indy movie set in that time period, to be honest. 

And you're definitely not joking?

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The entire first sequence (up to and INCLUDING the nuke/fridge moment, sorry all) was the kind of thing I wanted out of an Indy movie set in that time period, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And you're definitely not joking?

I’m with mstrox on this one. The flying fridge was clever and it was inventive. It was FUN to watch, not least because it was rooted somewhat in the realm of plausibility. And when the fridge finally came to a stop, it was banged-up and dirty. And when indy came tumbling out, he actually looked like he took a painful ride in a fridge, FFS. You could actually believe it happened.