Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

If it's not JW it will be JNH.

The Church of Powell around here is getting embarrassing.

What church? I'm the only one who shows up to the meetings!

Well, the best part of Skull was the shot of his photograph with his theme from Crusade cameoing...

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

Since he's only 12 years older than Ford, I don't think so.

Pretty sure he was only 12 years older than Ford in Last Crusade as well.

Math is funny that way!

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Well is Indy younger than Ford?

Given that in Temple of Doom Indy was younger and Ford was older than in Raiders, I think we may have encountered a temporal paradox. 

Wow-ee, surely the least surprising news ever. Koepp's script must have been absolute rubbish (also the least surprising news ever) to trash it after so many years in development.

Glad that they're mixing things up because any idiot would've known not to re-hire the writer of KOTCS for another Indy. What a shame they've wasted 3 years of development under Koepp's hand, when the film could've been ready to shoot this year with a competent writer on board.

KOTCS had a similar revolving door of writers and they still ended up with a terrible movie. Just keeping my fingers crossed Kasdan can reignite the original spirit of the series, but I don't envisage this starting production anytime soon. 

Can anyone see Williams scoring this now? Williams will be 89 in 2021.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Can anyone see Williams scoring this now? Williams will be 89 in 2021.

Williams will die in 2050, at 118, conducting the Main Title for the Star Wars Episode XXIV scoring sessions out of courtesy.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Well, the best part of Skull was the shot of his photograph with his theme from Crusade cameoing...

The obvious photo from the blimp scene? We laughed at that.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

...and Shia le Beouf, and Cate Blancht's accent, and wasting Winstone, Hurt, Allen and Broadbent, and the CG monkeys, and the fucking swordfight, and the Jeep in the tree, and nuking the fridge, and the groundhogs, and Kaminsky's cinematography (tribute to Dougie Slocombe, my ass!), and...

Sounds great!

@Margo Channing

Well done, Jerry! 

Although I disagree with you, I applaud you for standing-up for what you believe.

I know that I listed a lot that is wrong with KOTCS, but there's also a lot right, with it. It's always stimulating, when a film divides its audience.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

there's also a lot right

John Williams! Harrison Ford 15% of the time! A bunch of scenes at the beginning! The ant fight! Shia LeBouf! ...Uh, the crystal skull looks pretty cool? 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

John Williams! Harrison Ford 15% of the time! A bunch of scenes at the beginning!

It's probably the worst Williams score of the last decade, if not longer. He clearly didn't give a shit about the assignment, and I say that as a massive JW fan.

It's like he saw how Spielberg was phoning in so many of the bland expository scenes and decided to follow suit with mundane, uninspired underscore.

I don't blame JW whatsoever though, the fault lies with the terrible movie he was asked to score.

It's a shame because he's clearly very fond of the franchise and explicitly said he'd very much like to score a 4th one if it finally happens in the 2003 DVD documentary.

Yeah, rather perplexing that we ended up with the resulting score, considering his apparent excitement for the project.

Textbook "phoning it in" Williams, sad to say. Right down to the blatant lifts from other scores (like WOTW and all the note-for-note Raiders quotes).

Gosh, Irina's Theme is fantastic though, plus the Jungle Chase and end credits suite. I can't stand Mutt's concert suite but Williams is clearly fond of it.